OT- Pete Carroll | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT- Pete Carroll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Umm...there is only one potential passer on any given play and he was wearing #3 on that particular play. That is not Kearse's number.

Once the ball is touched by a player other than the one taking the snap, pass interference and defensive holding cannot be called. Unnecessary Roughness would not be called either unless the second player speared Kearse. He was not down and the ball was still live.
Amazed that Butler actually got up and finished the tackle after the ridiculous Kearse catch. Most DB's would already be running down field celebrating the fact they tipped the ball away.

Reaction Score
Bkqzj_5CEAA6z3L.png

33938-png.8616

Reaction Score
Your comment might be more accurate if this was the last play of the game. It wasn't. It was 2nd and goal from the half yard line with 1 timeout left. The game didn't need to be won or lost on that snap.

I had to stop reading the thread after this comment.

Listen, it's not that he wanted to win it on the last play, it's that if it came down to it he wanted there to be an opportunity to run a 4th down play if they didn't get in, as opposed to time running out.

The 2nd down (waste) play, was just bad wording from Carrol. His thought process was to pass and worst case it was incomplete and stops the clock. This way he has his whole aresenal for 3rd and 4th down, because he has the timeout in his back pocket. If they ran on 2nd (and Lynch didn't get in) they would have had to burn that last timeout and then they HAVE to throw on 3rd and 4th if necessary.

Reaction Score
The only people still arguing the worst play call ever thing is those that choose to view the situation totally binary, either its the worst play call ever or not. Can't be a combination of things, Butler can't make an exceptional play if the play isn't called, Carroll cannot play the odds of only a 1-2% chance of interception (because it was intercepted - it is now a 100% chance?!) nor the possibility that a run may limit him to 2 chances versus a pass giving him 3. Someone's wife questioning the play calling definitely clinches it.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
My only gripe is that if you were going to pass it should have been a play action to the flat where it's very easy to throw the ball away if necessary. Too many things can go wrong on a slant pass over the middle at the 1 yard line to warrant breaking that out on 2nd down.

He could have called plenty of plays that would have a worse expected outcome but I would think a PA or a read option with a pass option as well would have been far better.

Reaction Score
Umm...there is only one potential passer on any given play and he was wearing #3 on that particular play. That is not Kearse's number.
Yeah man, nice catch on the obvious error.
If he drilled the guy on the ground, it would have been unnecessary roughness. No point in it when the lucky catch is only going to happen once every 5 seasons or so.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah man, nice catch on the obvious error.
If he drilled the guy on the ground, it would have been unnecessary roughness. No point in it when the lucky catch is only going to happen once every 5 seasons or so.

I believe the rest of my post addressed that. I think it's tough to blow someone up when they are in Kearse's position like that, unless it is blatant spearing. The DB is allowed to hit him however.

Reaction Score
I think it's tough to blow someone up when they are in Kearse's position like that, unless it is blatant spearing.
You think it's tough to "blow someone up" when they are lying on their back, prone, on the ground?

Are you sure that "blowing someone up" is the standard for Un. Roughness?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You think it's tough to "blow someone up" when they are lying on their back, prone, on the ground?

Are you sure that "blowing someone up" is the standard for Un. Roughness?

The angle that Harmon took? Yes.

Reaction Score
Now that we know how seriously injured Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas were on the defensive side and Lane too, it's amazing the Pats only won by 4.:oops:

Reaction Score
Now that we know how seriously injured Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas were on the defensive side and Lane too, it's amazing the Pats only won by 4.:oops:
It definitely could have been a lot more. Seahawks were lucky to be in it. Luck ran out.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
The smarter course would have been: quick running play on second down, then--if they didn't make it--time out(final one); pass play with about :20 seconds left; if THAT failed, then hand it to Lynch for one last push. They wouldn't have had time for 3 running plays.
If Seattle hadn't wasted two TOs on the last drive this entire thread likely wouldn't exist.
Been a great week for Patriot Nation.

Reaction Score

Sound more bitter. You can't. Honestly this is grade school stuff right here.

Reaction Score
It was a disaster of a play call but Carroll handled it like a man. With his overly optimistic outlook on life this will be far less devastating to him as it would be most coaches, his interview with Matt Lauer was revealing.

Reaction Score

Patriots don't go around boohooing. Thomas had a torn labrum? Yeah, so did Hightower. Injuries happen. In fact, Casillas was in there bcause the Patriots defensive captain was not.

Anyone who brings up injuries to Patriots fans is not going to get any sympathy, given all the Super Bowls with Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, being out, Gronkowski injured.

Reaction Score
It was a disaster of a play call but Carroll handled it like a man. With his overly optimistic outlook on life this will be far less devastating to him as it would be most coaches, his interview with Matt Lauer was revealing.

The look Marshawn Lynch gave as he was going to the sideline was very familiar. Patriots fans have seen that look before. Carroll is very improved as a coach, but he can lose the locker room almost instantaneously. Go watch the Turning Point on NBCSN or Sound FX on NFLN, and judge for yourself what kind of reactions Carroll gets when he talks to his players. I don't see much respect there, not much at all, and that has a familiar look to it. Not that Bledsoe and Terry Glenn were the best of teammmates (as I imagine Lynch isn't either) but they lead a mutiny against the guy.

Reaction Score
The look Marshawn Lynch gave as he was going to the sideline was very familiar. Patriots fans have seen that look before. Carroll is very improved as a coach, but he can lose the locker room almost instantaneously. Go watch the Turning Point on NBCSN or Sound FX on NFLN, and judge for yourself what kind of reactions Carroll gets when he talks to his players. I don't see much respect there, not much at all, and that has a familiar look to it. Not that Bledsoe and Terry Glenn were the best of teammmates (as I imagine Lynch isn't either) but they lead a mutiny against the guy.
Marshawn had that look on his face because he knew he was about to be a back to back champion and the hero with the winning TD. The whole team was pissed at Carroll but I'm sure they will regroup very quickly, his players in Seattle absolutely love playing for him.

Reaction Score
Marshawn had that look on his face because he knew he was about to be a back to back champion and the hero with the winning TD. The whole team was pissed at Carroll but I'm sure they will regroup very quickly, his players in Seattle absolutely love playing for him.

So, you didn't watch any of the mic'd up Sound FX, where Pete was telling him where to run, and Marshawn was basically, I'll read it, now go away Carroll?? No?

Reaction Score
So, you didn't watch any of the mic'd up Sound FX, where Pete was telling him where to run, and Marshawn was basically, I'll read it, now go away Carroll?? No?
I don't know what that is. Also, don't know what you are saying. You don't think Carroll is a players coach and Seattle's players don't like playing for him?

Reaction Score
Sound more bitter. You can't. Honestly this is grade school stuff right here.

Who's the dope here? I mean the face at the end SCREAMS sarcasm but no not for Crack or up. Geez....Pats fans really are with worst.

Reaction Score
I don't know what that is. Also, don't know what you are saying. You don't think Carroll is a players coach and Seattle's players don't like playing for him?

They like playing for him. But when he does dopey stuff, the masks come off. They don't respect him. This has always been Pom-Pom's problem in the NFL. He's actually a very good coach, with an aggressive defense. But he wears very very thin.

SoundFX is a regular show on NFLN that mics coaches and players. Pete talked to about 4 or 5 different players on the show this week, including Wilson and Lynch. Players don't hide their disdain for the guy.

Reaction Score
We're talking about marshawn lynch here. Did you see the video of him on the sideline during the packers game when they were down double digits in the fourth quarter? He was dancing and singing to a song while everyone else looked depressed. He's on his own plane regardless of the situation.

Reaction Score
They like playing for him. But when he does dopey stuff, the masks come off. They don't respect him. This has always been Pom-Pom's problem in the NFL. He's actually a very good coach, with an aggressive defense. But he wears very very thin.

SoundFX is a regular show on NFLN that mics coaches and players. Pete talked to about 4 or 5 different players on the show this week, including Wilson and Lynch. Players don't hide their disdain for the guy.
Sometimes I think you're in your own little world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom