OT- Pats Packers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT- Pats Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aside from that play he shut Nelson down, not to mention the push off by Nelson prior to the catch. Revis isn't supposed to need help? Jordy is one of the best WRs in football, he's gonna make some plays regardless of who is on him. It's clear based on your prior posts that you have some major Patriots hate, but if you're serious with this crap it's also clear that you know absolutely nothing about football.

Nelson push off? Wait not coming from a Pats fan:eek: - please revisit that before you want that called. Because Gronk won't catch a pass if they call that. He runs right into defenders before making his route, and honestly it should be offensive interference but they never call it on anyone. Edelman did it once yesterday and they called it on the Packer DB - what's he supposed to do instead of putting his hands on him? - take a charge? LOL:D

Nelson didn't come close to pushing off, that's whining! But Revis was great and is great - not his fault on that one juts a great timed pass and he got zero help thereafter!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's a deeply flawed stat. That's what I'm saying. I'm not looking for perfect stats.

The reason many of us favor scoring TDs and winning so much is that football stats tend to compartmentalize what's actually going on on the field. It's just flawed, that's all.

There are so many crazy stats that totally invert dominant perceptions about football and stats.

For instance, Brady has a better rating than Manning both indoors and outdoors, and yet Brady's overall rating is not near Manning's. When you begin to see startling stats like that, you can't follow these at all.

Again, I don't know how old superjohn is, but statements about a QBs arm require a pretty long look at the league. I mentioned Marino as being a guy that was a better thrower and better passer and quite likely a better QB than Rodgers, but I can't do the comparison statistically for obvious reasons. His comments about Brady's weak arm are just wrong, as is the comment about him being a system QB, as is the comment about short passing (a comment that was true at the start of Brady's career, but not after the first 3 years). That's why I tend to doubt him.

Let me give you an example of the weirdness in QB rating:

QB #1:

Yards thrown: 4830
Passing TDs: 34
Interceptions: 8
Int% per throw: 1.3%
Attempts per game: 40
Completion %: 63
Avg. per pass: 7.6
Yds per game: 302
20 yds +: 57
40 yds +: 8
Rating: 98.7
QB #2

Yards thrown: 4300
Passing TDs: 39
Interceptions: 8
Int% per throw: 1.4%
Attempts per game: 34
Completion %: 67
Avg. per pass: 7.8
Yds per game: 268
20 yds +: 54
40 yds +: 9
Rating: 108

When you look at the 2 QBs, #1 had more yards per game, while #2 had a higher completion %. Those were 2 of the differences between the 2 QBs. But the major factor that gave #2 a much higher rating was the 5 more TDs he threw. They are weighed so much higher in the calculation, and the flaw I listed in my previous post explains the weighting for passing TDs in the formula.

So, what gets left out?

This:

QB #1s team:

2100 yards rushing
25 rushing TDs
4 rushing TDs by the QB
34.8 points per game
3rd highest scoring offense in NFL history

QB #2s team:

1700 yards
9 rushing TDs
2 rushing TDs by the QB
27.1 points per game

When you look at this second set of statistics, I'd say that QB#1 comes out ahead in the statistical comparison. Not because he ran in 4 TDs to the other guy's 2, but because his team scored 25 rushing TDs, which more than offsets the 5 fewer passing TDs he threw.
Not sure at all how you could say that the extra stats you give make QB1 the better quarterback. What this tells me is that QB1 obviously has a better O line and probably better running backs as well. That would make QB2s stats even more impressive.

2nd, it doesn't tell how many games for each QB. Maybe QB2 didn't play in as many games and didn't get the same number of attempts. Hard to tell - would be good to have games played.

Finally it doesn't take into account pace and defense. Maybe QB1's team plays an uptempo offense leading to more possessions per game leading to enhanced total yards and touchdowns. I would be willing to bet team 1 plays at a faster tempo than team 2. Additionally, maybe QB2's defense is bad and doesn't get him the ball back as frequently. I would like to see yards allowed for each team and defensive turnovers created to evaluate the defense and how often each QB is getting the ball back. If you get two more drives per game because you play faster and your defense is better, that's going to seriously inflate the totals.

But the bottom line is QB2 is far more efficient completing a higher %, getting more yards per completion and more touchdowns per attempt while not throwing more interceptions with a worse running game. That's a better QB regardless of rushing touchdowns.

Would you like to tell us who QB1 and QB2 are and what year this refers to?

Reaction Score
Not sure at all how you could say that the extra stats you give make QB1 the better quarterback. What this tells me is that QB1 obviously has a better O line and probably better running backs as well. That would make QB2s stats even more impressive.

2nd, it doesn't tell how many games for each QB. Maybe QB2 didn't play in as many games and didn't get the same number of attempts. Hard to tell - would be good to have games played.

Finally it doesn't take into account pace and defense. Maybe QB1's team plays an uptempo offense leading to more possessions per game leading to enhanced total yards and touchdowns. I would be willing to bet team 1 plays at a faster tempo than team 2. Additionally, maybe QB2's defense is bad and doesn't get him the ball back as frequently. I would like to see yards allowed for each team and defensive turnovers created to evaluate the defense and how often each QB is getting the ball back. If you get two more drives per game because you play faster and your defense is better, that's going to seriously inflate the totals.

But the bottom line is QB2 is far more efficient completing a higher %, getting more yards per completion and more touchdowns per attempt while not throwing more interceptions with a worse running game. That's a better QB regardless of rushing touchdowns.

Almost positive that he's referring to Brady and Rodgers in 2012. Rodgers is QB2. According to Upstater, Rodgers had a worse season because he had the fortune of having James Starks as his running back.

Reaction Score

#1 QB is Brady. #2 is Rodgers. Both played 16 games. The year is 2012-2013.

Neither has a stellar RB.

Neither had a stellar defense. Both at the bottom third.

If you take the rushing TDs and simply attribute them to the RBs, then yes, I agree with you. Having a potent run game really helps the passing game. But in this case, the extra 400 rushing yards over the year or 25 rush yards a game yielded 16 more touchdowns. In other words, for every 25 yards extra in rushing, you get a TD.

As for completion %s and INTs, they are very close. In fact, Brady had many more attempts and the same INTs, for a slightly better INT rate.

The thing that puts Brady over the top is that he lead the team to the 3rd most points in NFL history, a TD more per game than the Packers. The QB rating, however, was hugely in Rodgers favor. But that's because a TD is weighted very very heavily in that measure.

When you look at the number of TDs scored by the Patriots in terms of passing rushing balance, and then weigh that against the rush/pash yards, you wouldn't think that they ran for that many TDs. They had 2.3x as many passing yards as rushing yards, and that somehow yielded 34 pass/25 rush TDs. That's what I'm looking at right there. The rushing TDs were the result of the passing game much more than they were the result of the running game. You make the same comparisons with the Packers and their passing TDs more closely track their passing yards. The Patriots were different. They simpy ran the ball many times inside the 5 yard line, and of course Brady did his QB sneaks a few times.

Reaction Score
Almost positive that he's referring to Brady and Rodgers in 2012. Rodgers is QB2. According to Upstater, Rodgers had a worse season because he had the fortune of having James Starks as his running back.

The Patriots haven't had stellar RBs either. Ridley, Woodhead and Bolden carried it that year. A 4th rounder and two undrafted free agents. I don't think either QB benefited from a stellar running game.

And, whatever people say about who had the better year (most say Rodgers), the fact is the two were very very close. Look at the stats. Almost all numbers are similar.

The QB rating though is heavily in Rodgers's favor though because of the weight put on passing TDs.

For me, that's not c0nvincing when you take into account points scored by the offense as a whole.

Reaction Score
The Patriots haven't had stellar RBs either. Ridley, Woodhead and Bolden carried it that year. A 4th rounder and two undrafted free agents. I don't think either QB benefited from a stellar running game.

And, whatever people say about who had the better year (most say Rodgers), the fact is the two were very very close. Look at the stats. Almost all numbers are similar.

The QB rating though is heavily in Rodgers's favor though because of the weight put on passing TDs.

For me, that's not c0nvincing when you take into account points scored by the offense as a whole.

According to FO, the Patriots had the third best offensive line that year and the Packers had the 25th best for run blocking.

For pass blocking, the Patriots were 5th best and the Packers were the 2nd worst.

Ridley had the stats of a top 10 back that year. The Packer's best back(Alex Green) isn't even in the top 32.

You're taking a stat that, while flawed, at least attempts to isolate for what the quarterback can control, and implementing something that a lot of times he has nothing to do with. Felix Hernandez is a unanimous top 3 pitcher in baseball, yet the win statistic would tell you that he's not because his team's hitters suck. That's what you're practically trying to do here.

Reaction Score
According to FO, the Patriots had the third best offensive line that year and the Packers had the 25th best for run blocking.

For pass blocking, the Patriots were 5th best and the Packers were the 2nd worst.

Ridley had the stats of a top 10 back that year. The Packer's best back(Alex Green) isn't even in the top 32.

You're taking a stat that, while flawed, at least attempts to isolate for what the quarterback can control, and implementing something that a lot of times he has nothing to do with. Felix Hernandez is a unanimous top 3 pitcher in baseball, yet the win statistic would tell you that he's not because his team's hitters suck. That's what you're practically trying to do here.
I've given up, everything you say is clear as day and any neutral observer can see this. My guess is upstater will keep hammering away at his bizarre theory. He wants to disregard passer rating, TD's and every other measurable that says Rodgers is the best. You don't need to look at stats to know that Brady's offensive line has been way better than Rodgers over the years and you don't have to look at numbers to know Rodgers is the best in the league right now. It's really not all that close, Rodgers wins in any statistical category but I prefer the eye test to everything else. Don't normally agree with much the talking heads say but I thought Kornheiser summed it up pretty good when he said Brady and Manning are like Bird and Magic and Rodgers is like Jordan.

Reaction Score

Wendell, Connolly, Cannon, are no one's top OL. Like any OL protecting a QB with a lightening fast release, they will look good. The LT that year was a rookie, Solder. Vollmer was injured with a back ailment. Mankins was playing on 2 torn ACLs all year. We see this again and again with the Patriots. People keep touting the offensive lines. And who are the interior lineman? Castoffs, retreads, people who hardly played football before like Stephen Neal. UConn's own Donald Thomas was taken off the dustheap in 2012 and he played a lot. he was completed out of football for more than a year.

Do you really think Ridley is a top back? Bolden? Woodhead? Come on!

Reaction Score
Wendell, Connolly, Cannon, are no one's top OL. Like any OL protecting a QB with a lightening fast release, they will look good. The LT that year was a rookie, Solder. Vollmer was injured with a back ailment. Mankins was playing on 2 torn ACLs all year. We see this again and again with the Patriots. People keep touting the offensive lines. And who are the interior lineman? Castoffs, retreads, people who hardly played football before like Stephen Neal. UConn's own Donald Thomas was taken off the dustheap in 2012 and he played a lot. he was completed out of football for more than a year.

Do you really think Ridley is a top back? Bolden? Woodhead? Come on!

The numbers say they were top 5 good. No offense, but I'll go with that. It's the NFL, names mean nothing outside of the skill positions.

Reaction Score
The numbers say they were top 5 good. No offense, but I'll go with that. It's the NFL, names mean nothing outside of the skill positions.

My whole point here is that numbers mean squat in the NFL, unlike baseball where you have individual matchups. Football is a true team sport.

The number of JAG running backs and offensive lineman that have passed through New England the last 14 years is long. Guys had their moment of glory and then did nothing once they were cut. Undrafteds, guys off the street. Mike Compton, Kenyatta Jones, Donald Thomas, Greg Robinson Randall, Stephen Neal, Grant Jennings, Joe Andruzzi, Ryan Wendell, Dan Connolly, Todd Rucci, JR Redmond, Antowain Smith, Legarette Blount, Jonas Gray, Brandon Bolden, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Laurence Maroney, etc. None of these guys did a single thing for any other team in the NFL. And there were countless more. In 14 years, the Patriots drafted 4 lineman high. Matt Light, Nate Solder, Logan Mankins, and Vollmer. That's it. And it's not like they found real talent off the street. Most of these guys were cut and then didn't play another meaningful down in the NFL.

There's one reason for all of this, and it's Brady's fast release.

Reaction Score
My whole point here is that numbers mean squat in the NFL, unlike baseball where you have individual matchups. Football is a true team sport.

The number of JAG running backs and offensive lineman that have passed through New England the last 14 years is long. Guys had their moment of glory and then did nothing once they were cut. Undrafteds, guys off the street. Mike Compton, Kenyatta Jones, Donald Thomas, Greg Robinson Randall, Stephen Neal, Grant Jennings, Joe Andruzzi, Ryan Wendell, Dan Connolly, Todd Rucci, JR Redmond, Antowain Smith, Legarette Blount, Jonas Gray, Brandon Bolden, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Laurence Maroney, etc. None of these guys did a single thing for any other team in the NFL. And there were countless more. In 14 years, the Patriots drafted 4 lineman high. Matt Light, Nate Solder, Logan Mankins, and Vollmer. That's it. And it's not like they found real talent off the street. Most of these guys were cut and then didn't play another meaningful down in the NFL.

So the Patriots run the ball well because Brady releases the ball quickly. I've now heard it all.

This is heading to the same area where a BY poster claimed that Andre Drummond isn't a good athlete because he doesn't shoot free throws well. I like you as a poster, but I can't do this anymore.

Reaction Score
So the Patriots run the ball well because Brady releases the ball quickly. I've now heard it all.

This is heading to the same area where a BY poster claimed that Andre Drummond isn't a good athlete because he doesn't shoot free throws well. I like you as a poster, but I can't do this anymore.

You find it surprising that defenses that are on their heels do poorly against the run?

Look at Peyton Manning in Denver. It's the same story. Knowshon Moreno was a bust before he got behind Manning. Then assorted guys named Ronie Hilman, Monte Ball and Anderson are running roughshod over people. You think that's not because of Manning?

It's certainly not the talented RBs and OL in New England. Do you think they're talented?

Reaction Score
Nelson push off? Wait not coming from a Pats fan:eek: - please revisit that before you want that called. Because Gronk won't catch a pass if they call that. He runs right into defenders before making his route, and honestly it should be offensive interference but they never call it on anyone. Edelman did it once yesterday and they called it on the Packer DB - what's he supposed to do instead of putting his hands on him? - take a charge? LOL:D

Nelson didn't come close to pushing off, that's whining! But Revis was great and is great - not his fault on that one juts a great timed pass and he got zero help thereafter!

Ha... ok, no push off, whatever you say :rolleyes:.

Anyways...I never said I thought it should be called.. you assumed that. In fact, I dont think it should have been called. The only reason I even brought it up was as a response to the incredibly moronic comment about Revis "getting punked."

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
upstater said:
You find it surprising that defenses that are on their heels do poorly against the run?

Look at Peyton Manning in Denver. It's the same story. Knowshon Moreno was a bust before he got behind Manning. Then assorted guys named Ronie Hilman, Monte Ball and Anderson are running roughshod over people. You think that's not because of Manning?

It's certainly not the talented RBs and OL in New England. Do you think they're talented?

Holy crap. You've done it! I now think Brady is the better QB. Well done.

Reaction Score
Ha... ok, no push off, whatever you say :rolleyes:.

Anyways...I never said I thought it should be called.. you assumed that. In fact, I dont think it should have been called. The only reason I even brought it up was as a response to the incredibly moronic comment about Revis "getting punked."

I supported Revis on that also as you can see. He was tremendous the whole game besides that and any team would be lucky to have this guy back there.

But don't bring it up if you don't want it called! LOL.......all good but his "push off" wasn't close to what they allow everywhere, not just Gronk. It's something they need to look at in all reality it is such a disadvantage to a player who already is at one.

Reaction Score
jleves and superjohn certainly showed their colors in the last Patriots thread. I'd be embarrassed to ever post in another Patriots thread. EVER.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What the hell is going on in this thread??
Is this rhetoric or do you really want an explanation. Probably rhetoric but for those who are asking the same thing and don't have an answer I'll propose one.

This thread is similar to many threads. Some people love to argue. Some of those arguing need to be right. It's called fantasy debate! Why fantasy? Because people think their posts are fact when the fact is opinions are not facts no matter how detailed and supported they may be. Now if I'm correct then I just argued against myself.

We can also counter the argument this is fantasy debate if we make the case that every opinion is factual in some universe (a much better way than expressing an opinion came out of left field). Of course we would have to debate whether there are an infinite number of universes. A case could be made that the way many arguments are presented in this forum there is evidence that the alternative universe theory might indeed be an alternative universe fact. A footnote would have to be made that some ideas, such as this post, are so out there that the universe they will fit in is still a theory in concept. Long story short if an infinite number of universes exist we would have to accept every argument is factual albeit the basis for the fact might exist in some universe other than our own.

And that leads me to the final point. Debate me if you want. Argue that I'm wrong. I stand by what I've written. I'm a master of my universe, the one in my head, and that's all that matters. And that is the same for each and every one of us. We are the masters of our own universes. It's just that some of us feel the need to be the master of the universes in others.

Reaction Score

This is one of the most unintentionally funny posts in boneyard history. Congrats, you keep stepping it up in this thread.

Reaction Score
This is one of the most unintentionally funny posts in boneyard history. Congrats, you keep stepping it up in this thread.

Juwuan Thompson, CJ Anderson, Mr. Gray with the Patriots (guy was an undrafted FA who was cut by 4 teams). Deny it all you want, Brady and Manning MAKE their RBs look great. Who the hell is Juwuan Thompson?

Reaction Score
Juwuan Thompson, CJ Anderson, Mr. Gray with the Patriots (guy was an undrafted FA who was cut by 4 teams). Deny it all you want, Brady and Manning MAKE their RBs look great. Who the hell is Juwuan Thompson?

So do HUGE gaping holes created by the offensive line

Reaction Score
So do HUGE gaping holes created by the offensive line

The formula must be to grab OL off the UDFA scrapheap then and create huge holes.

I don't like that formula personally. I prefer having a great QB with the defense in itssub package, and 6 DBs on the field. Then I'll run on them with my never-heard-of-before RB.

Reaction Score
superjohn said:

Hard to argue with a well reasoned response like that. The Pats as an organization have a pretty decent track record of making pretty ordinary guys look great.

Reaction Score
The formula must be to grab OL off the UDFA scrapheap then and create huge holes.

I don't like that formula personally. I prefer having a great QB with the defense in itssub package, and 6 DBs on the field. Then I'll run on them with my never-heard-of-before RB.

True but no QB is any good without stopping the pass rush and no run game is good without holes and space. They may have been patched together but someone then deserves the credit for that. That would be Bill and/or management, they've been great for the most part for 7-8 weeks.

Reaction Score
True but no QB is any good without stopping the pass rush and no run game is good without holes and space. They may have been patched together but someone then deserves the credit for that. That would be Bill and/or management, they've been great for the most part for 7-8 weeks.

It's been like this for 14 years. Heck, this year there's a totally new OL coach. A lot of people deserve credit for what they do. Nonetheless, there's been 14 years of scrap heap pickups year-after-year. A quick trigger QB who knows his way around the pocket will make many a lineman look good. Logan Mankins is grading out very poorly in Tampa.

If Donald Thomas ever donates some of that multiple million dollar contract to UConn, he should probably thank Brady more than Belichick.

Reaction Score
It's been like this for 14 years. Heck, this year there's a totally new OL coach. A lot of people deserve credit for what they do. Nonetheless, there's been 14 years of scrap heap pickups year-after-year. A quick trigger QB who knows his way around the pocket will make many a lineman look good. Logan Mankins is grading out very poorly in Tampa.

If Donald Thomas ever donates some of that multiple million dollar contract to UConn, he should probably thank Brady more than Belichick.

God you guys and Brady? Yikes, he's great but he's not the sole reason and never will be. I know when he sucked early most of you wanted him gone, retire and why? The line sucked!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom