OT- Pats Packers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT- Pats Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He throws peas when he needs to and you need arm strength for that. He's still excellent. LaFell is a find - he's been super. The TD yesterday behind the shoulder was like they played together for years!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Brady still has good arm strength, but his accuracy deep hasn't been great the last few years.

Reaction Score
I think this comment comes off as homerish: "Brady is one of the best ever but a lot of his greatness is predicated on the system. He doesn't have the arm strength down the field and can't run a lick but he is a master at dinking and dunking and his accuracy and mental game are off the charts."

These are things you said that downgrade Brady.

1. Brady's greatness is predicated on the system.

Rebuttal: what great QB doesn't have a system? Manning has one, Montana had one, Rodgers plays a variant of a pretty famous one in GB.

2. Brady doesn't have arm strength to throw downfield.

Rebuttal: Where did you come up with this? Most NFL experts and scouts see Brady as having a very strong arm. When Mayock had the ESPN Sports science guys measure velocity at all spots of the field, no one had a stronger arm than Brady.

3. Dinking and dunking.

Rebuttal: This was true of Brady when he was young, his first 2 or 3 years. But in his 4th year, he jumped to the top of the league in long throws, and YPA and YPC, and he has stayed there his whole career. In recent years, his long bombs have gone way down, but this also coincided with the fact that he hasn't had one single WR threat downfield post-Randy Moss. How was Brady's downfield arm when Randy Moss was around? Pretty damn good.

Although this wasn't a completion, have a look at the video and look at his arm strength:

65 yards downfield on a line, pinpoint accuracy, and also thrown across the field which probably makes it an 80 yarder.

Just wondering you're old enough to have watched vintage early 1980s Dan Marino? Because if you're ooing and ahhing at Rodgers release and accuracy and arm, I don't think he's nearly as good. Then again, no one was as good as Marino. Not Manning, not Brady, not Montana. But the other 3 guys had elements to their game that Marino didn't. Marino, for instance was easily flustered.

As for running out of the pocket, it's a great weapon in the arsenal. It is just one weapon however. There are other parts of the game that are just as useful. Like pocket awareness. Brady and Marino are the two best I've ever seen when it comes to that. Then there's quick release. Marino is the best. Then Manning and Brady and Rodgers. Montana and Brady share a trait that Manning doesn't have, and which Marino possessed little of. Rodgers hasn't been in enough pressure situations to know how he'd it'll play out. Montana and Brady were capable of collecting themselves when things were going bad, and they knew when to press and when to take a sack, when to make a big play, and hen they needed to keep their teams in the game. Manning has simply gone haywire and done stupid stuff way too many times in his career. He is not nearly as bizarre as Favre, but Manning is up there when it comes to that.

I believe in the other Patriot thread we already had a discussion about stats, so I am not impressed by the fact that Rodgers has all these numbers early in his career. The NFL changed in 2006 and prevented all the jamming and grabbing that was going on 10 yards downfield. Everyone's numbers went up, not just Rodgers's. In fact, you can compare all the QBs from that point on and Rodgers's numbers don't jump out at you. But I'm not big on QB stats regardless since they tend to miss the biggest picture of all, like scoring points and touchdowns. QB stats don't account for the QBs part in that.

At the end of the day, the fact that you think Brady is a product of the system, that Brady is a dinker and dunker, that Brady has a weak downfield arm, tells me that you were mightily impressed by the fact that he was drafted in the 6th round, and no matter what the guy did or does, he could never rise to the highest level in your eyes.
For the fifth time, how can I be a homer when I don't like the Packers? I could care less what round Brady was drafted in but it's quite amazing he turned out to be one of the best quarterbacks being drafted so late, same goes for Montana. You are saying QB stats should be irrelevant since 2006 and Rodgers numbers don't jump out at you, this is just silly considering he has the best stats since then. When you say, "But I'm not big on QB stats regardless since they tend to miss the biggest picture of all, like scoring points and touchdowns. QB stats don't account for the QBs part in that." I have no clue what you're talking about with this statement. Sure it's always hard comparing guys from different generations but when comparing contemporaries I have no clue how you can say stats don't matter, they aren't everything but they sure mean a lot. As for Brady dinking and dunking I do think a lot of his career this is a pretty fair description, this seems to be a big part of what they do, I guess you could say it's based on personnel but I just don't consider Brady to be too accurate with the long ball. You're right though when Moss was with the Pats Brady aired it out way more, who wouldn't with the second best receiver and possibly greatest deep threat of all-time to throw to. Again, Brady is one of the best I've ever seen and Rodgers is the best I've seen, don't know why this is getting peoples panties in a bunch and making them put words in my mouth.

Reaction Score
For the fifth time, how can I be a homer when I don't like the Packers? I could care less what round Brady was drafted in but it's quite amazing he turned out to be one of the best quarterbacks being drafted so late, same goes for Montana. You are saying QB stats should be irrelevant since 2006 and Rodgers numbers don't jump out at you, this is just silly considering he has the best stats since then. When you say, "But I'm not big on QB stats regardless since they tend to miss the biggest picture of all, like scoring points and touchdowns. QB stats don't account for the QBs part in that." I have no clue what you're talking about with this statement. Sure it's always hard comparing guys from different generations but when comparing contemporaries I have no clue how you can say stats don't matter, they aren't everything but they sure mean a lot. As for Brady dinking and dunking I do think a lot of his career this is a pretty fair description, this seems to be a big part of what they do, I guess you could say it's based on personnel but I just don't consider Brady to be too accurate with the long ball. You're right though when Moss was with the Pats Brady aired it out way more, who wouldn't with the second best receiver and possibly greatest deep threat of all-time to throw to. Again, Brady is one of the best I've ever seen and Rodgers is the best I've seen, don't know why this is getting peoples panties in a bunch and making them put words in my mouth.

Should read HATER not HOMER. Wonder if my autocorrect changed that.

You're running away from what you wrote. You wrote he had a weak arm. He doesn't. There's lots out there actually measuring his velocity. You wrote he's a dinker and dunker. Yet he throws more passes in the intermediate range than the vast majority of the league (15-30 yards). His YPA is high up there, as is YPC.

The QB stats leave out rushing TDs in their calculation. It's a huge hole in the formula.

Matt Stafford has great stats too. Brady and Manning's stats skyrocketed after 2006.

So when you compare the first years of Rodgers' career to Manning's or Brady's it's such a phony comparison.

When Brady had Deion Branch (is he one of the greatest WRs of all time?) his long ball was deadly accurate. This is what good receivers tend to do, adjust to your ball downfield. if you ever watched the top QBs trying to throw a ball into a trash can 40-50 yards downfield, as at the QB skills competition, it is very hard to do, so much of it is WRs. The QBs job is to recognize the WR getting open and to make sure the ball isn't intercepted.

Reaction Score
How am I a Brady hater? I think he's one of the best ever, I just think Rodgers is better. Bringing up Jordan is just a terrible analogy in every way possible. Rodgers just does things Brady and Peyton can't do. How did he not appear clutch today? Thought both qb's played pretty well, Rodgers was just better.

Is Rodgers better right now? Sure, but Brady is ancient.

At their respective peaks they're pretty equal in my eyes, with Brady's obsessive competitiveness putting him over the top.

Reaction Score
Should read HATER not HOMER. Wonder if my autocorrect changed that.

You're running away from what you wrote. You wrote he had a weak arm. He doesn't. There's lots out there actually measuring his velocity. You wrote he's a dinker and dunker. Yet he throws more passes in the intermediate range than the vast majority of the league (15-30 yards). His YPA is high up there, as is YPC.

The QB stats leave out rushing TDs in their calculation. It's a huge hole in the formula.

Matt Stafford has great stats too. Brady and Manning's stats skyrocketed after 2006.

So when you compare the first years of Rodgers' career to Manning's or Brady's it's such a phony comparison.

When Brady had Deion Branch (is he one of the greatest WRs of all time?) his long ball was deadly accurate. This is what good receivers tend to do, adjust to your ball downfield. if you ever watched the top QBs trying to throw a ball into a trash can 40-50 yards downfield, as at the QB skills competition, it is very hard to do, so much of it is WRs. The QBs job is to recognize the WR getting open and to make sure the ball isn't intercepted.
"The QB stats leave out rushing TD's in their calculation. It's a huge hole in the formula." This is one of the most bizarre statements I've read on this board and I have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to stats. Why would you bring up Matt Stafford? His stats suck compared to Rodgers, Manning and Brady. You are the biggest Rodgers hater/homer I've ever seen because you won't say he's the best ever. See what I did there, it's what you keep insinuating I think of Brady. Your last sentence is very true about the QB's job is recognizing the WR is open and to make sure the ball isn't intercepted. Rodgers is by far the best in the history of the NFL at getting the ball to his wide receivers without it getting intercepted, it's just one of the things he's the best at.

Reaction Score
"The QB stats leave out rushing TD's in their calculation. It's a huge hole in the formula." This is one of the most bizarre statements I've read on this board and I have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to stats. Why would you bring up Matt Stafford? His stats suck compared to Rodgers, Manning and Brady. You are the biggest Rodgers hater/homer I've ever seen because you won't say he's the best ever. See what I did there, it's what you keep insinuating I think of Brady. Your last sentence is very true about the QB's job is recognizing the WR is open and to make sure the ball isn't intercepted. Rodgers is by far the best in the history of the NFL at getting the ball to his wide receivers without it getting intercepted, it's just one of the things he's the best at.

If you can't understand the QBs role in scoring TDs period (whether passing or rushing) let's end this discussion, because you're the only person I've ever met (and quite possibly on the entire planet) who can't understand that a formula that totally leaves out rushing TDs (and therefore the QBs part in rushing TDs) is totally flawed.

Reaction Score
If you can't understand the QBs role in scoring TDs period (whether passing or rushing) let's end this discussion, because you're the only person I've ever met (and quite possibly on the entire planet) who can't understand that a formula that totally leaves out rushing TDs (and therefore the QBs part in rushing TDs) is totally flawed.

The idea of passer rating or QBR is to measure what the QUARTERBACK does, not the offense. Sure, the quarterback can have a role in rushing tds for his team, but then you're going to have guys like Mark Sanchez with inflated numbers as a result.

Adding a rushing touchdown component would make passer rating like the win statistic in baseball.

My guess is you're advocating for this because it would prop up Brady's numbers, although he'd probably still be well behind Rodgers overall.

Reaction Score
Yeah no point in continuing this any further, if you think passer rating is a useless stat because running back totals aren't factored into it I don't know what to tell you. I learned a long time ago there is no point arguing with crazy.

Reaction Score
The idea of passer rating or QBR is to measure what the QUARTERBACK does, not the offense. Sure, the quarterback can have a role in rushing tds for his team, but then you're going to have guys like Mark Sanchez with inflated numbers as a result.

Adding a rushing touchdown component would make passer rating like the win statistic in baseball.

My guess is you're advocating for this because it would prop up Brady's numbers, although he'd probably still be well behind Rodgers overall.

Man, I hate fantasy football. Just hate it.

A team can have 5000 passing yards, 1500 rushing yards, 35 passing TDs, 25 rushing TDs, and yet the QBR will tell you that the QB of another team with 4500 passing yards, 1200 rushing yards, 40 passing TDs, 7 rushing TDs, same amount of INTs--the second QB had the better year statistically. I'm not even talking about how many of the rushing TDs were run by the QB himself, but the fact that a QB is running for TDs should indeed ALSO be considered when he is rated.

That's a huge flaw right there.

Reaction Score
Yeah no point in continuing this any further, if you think passer rating is a useless stat because running back totals aren't factored into it I don't know what to tell you. I learned a long time ago there is no point arguing with crazy.

Thanks. And I will not argue with fantasy football fanboys.

Reaction Score
Thanks. And I will not argue with fantasy football fanboys.
I detest fantasy football and don't play it. You're right though, Christian Ponder should have been considered one of the best QB's in the league when Adrian Peterson was running for over 2,000 yards and all those touchdowns. I'm embarrassed with myself for even responding to your idiot theory.

Reaction Score
Man, I hate fantasy football. Just hate it.

A team can have 5000 passing yards, 1500 rushing yards, 35 passing TDs, 25 rushing TDs, and yet the QBR will tell you that the QB of another team with 4500 passing yards, 1200 rushing yards, 40 passing TDs, 7 rushing TDs, same amount of INTs--the second QB had the better year statistically. I'm not even talking about how many of the rushing TDs were run by the QB himself, but the fact that a QB is running for TDs should indeed ALSO be considered when he is rated.

That's a huge flaw right there.

If you want to include a quarterback's rushing statistics then go right ahead, it's only gonna make Rodgers look better.

Reaction Score
I detest fantasy football and don't play it. You're right though, Christian Ponder should have been considered one of the best QB's in the league when Adrian Peterson was running for over 2,000 yards and all those touchdowns. I'm embarrassed with myself for even responding to your idiot theory.

Christian Ponder threw for 5000 yards that year? You sure about that?

Again, I wrote 5,000 passing + 1,500 rushing.

Are you even aware what the Vikings passed and rushed for that year?

I'll assume NO.

2700 yards passing, 2700 yards rushing. 18 passing TDs, 16 rushing TDs.

Reaction Score
If you want to include a quarterback's rushing statistics then go right ahead, it's only gonna make Rodgers look better.

Yep. You did it. You somehow came to the conclusion that I the flaw is that a QBs rushing yards aren't in the QB formula.

Reaction Score
Christian Ponder threw for 5000 yards that year? You sure about that?

Again, I wrote 5,000 passing + 1,500 rushing.

Are you even aware what the Vikings passed and rushed for that year?

I'll assume NO.

2700 yards passing, 2700 yards rushing. 18 passing TDs, 16 rushing TDs.
Dude, you are out there.

Reaction Score
Dude, you are out there.

Yeah, I'm out there, with people like Jaworski and Paul Zimmerman and countless other who have said the same thing.

Here's just some boiler plate stuff: "Touchdowns
Much like the out-of-whack weight given to interceptions, passer rating gives touchdowns a bonus equivalent to 80 yards. Remember that all actual yardage gained is accounted for in yards per attempt, so this bonus is "extra" yardage awarded solely for crossing the goal line. This bonus should be equivalent to having the ball at your own 1" line vs. having 7 points and kicking the ball off. According to The Hidden Game of Football, this bonus was equivalent to about 10 yards. Others have more recently calculated the value at around 20 yards. Regardless, an 80 point bonus is way too high."

When you read about the stat, you'll frequently encounter hyperbolic statements like, "Everyone knows QB rating is deeply flawed..."

But the stat fanboys are still impressed.

Reaction Score
@upstater Has anybody here argued that quarterback rating is the perfect stat? I'm not even sure where you're going with this "stat fanboys" stuff.

Everybody can agree that there are several variables beyond the performance of the QB that dictate the outcome of football games. Because of this, there are statistics - like TD to INT ratio, completion %, passer rating, yards per attempt, etc. - that attempt to gauge the totality of the quarterbacks performance. Obviously, since everything that happens on a football field is contingent on quarterback play, none of these numbers are going to be perfect. Total offensive efficiency is usually a pretty good indicator of how good a quarterback is.

In all these areas, Rodgers is right up there with Brady, Manning, etc. Add in rushing touchdowns, which you're for some reason arguing about, and that probably gives Rodgers an edge.

Reaction Score
Is Rodgers better right now? Sure, but Brady is ancient.

At their respective peaks they're pretty equal in my eyes, with Brady's obsessive competitiveness putting him over the top.

"Obsessive competitiveness"? Have you been watching Rodgers over the years? These guys are similar in almost every aspect. Just because Brady swore last night at the end of the game doesn't make him more competitive that AR, they're both whacked in a good way regarding that!

Reaction Score
@upstater Has anybody here argued that quarterback rating is the perfect stat? I'm not even sure where you're going with this "stat fanboys" stuff.

Everybody can agree that there are several variables beyond the performance of the QB that dictate the outcome of football games. Because of this, there are statistics - like TD to INT ratio, completion %, passer rating, yards per attempt, etc. - that attempt to gauge the totality of the quarterbacks performance. Obviously, since everything that happens on a football field is contingent on quarterback play, none of these numbers are going to be perfect. Total offensive efficiency is usually a pretty good indicator of how good a quarterback is.

In all these areas, Rodgers is right up there with Brady, Manning, etc. Add in rushing touchdowns, which you're for some reason arguing about, and that probably gives Rodgers an edge.

It's a deeply flawed stat. That's what I'm saying. I'm not looking for perfect stats.

The reason many of us favor scoring TDs and winning so much is that football stats tend to compartmentalize what's actually going on on the field. It's just flawed, that's all.

There are so many crazy stats that totally invert dominant perceptions about football and stats.

For instance, Brady has a better rating than Manning both indoors and outdoors, and yet Brady's overall rating is not near Manning's. When you begin to see startling stats like that, you can't follow these at all.

Again, I don't know how old superjohn is, but statements about a QBs arm require a pretty long look at the league. I mentioned Marino as being a guy that was a better thrower and better passer and quite likely a better QB than Rodgers, but I can't do the comparison statistically for obvious reasons. His comments about Brady's weak arm are just wrong, as is the comment about him being a system QB, as is the comment about short passing (a comment that was true at the start of Brady's career, but not after the first 3 years). That's why I tend to doubt him.

Let me give you an example of the weirdness in QB rating:

QB #1:

Yards thrown: 4830
Passing TDs: 34
Interceptions: 8
Int% per throw: 1.3%
Attempts per game: 40
Completion %: 63
Avg. per pass: 7.6
Yds per game: 302
20 yds +: 57
40 yds +: 8
Rating: 98.7
QB #2

Yards thrown: 4300
Passing TDs: 39
Interceptions: 8
Int% per throw: 1.4%
Attempts per game: 34
Completion %: 67
Avg. per pass: 7.8
Yds per game: 268
20 yds +: 54
40 yds +: 9
Rating: 108

When you look at the 2 QBs, #1 had more yards per game, while #2 had a higher completion %. Those were 2 of the differences between the 2 QBs. But the major factor that gave #2 a much higher rating was the 5 more TDs he threw. They are weighed so much higher in the calculation, and the flaw I listed in my previous post explains the weighting for passing TDs in the formula.

So, what gets left out?

This:

QB #1s team:

2100 yards rushing
25 rushing TDs
4 rushing TDs by the QB
34.8 points per game
3rd highest scoring offense in NFL history

QB #2s team:

1700 yards
9 rushing TDs
2 rushing TDs by the QB
27.1 points per game

When you look at this second set of statistics, I'd say that QB#1 comes out ahead in the statistical comparison. Not because he ran in 4 TDs to the other guy's 2, but because his team scored 25 rushing TDs, which more than offsets the 5 fewer passing TDs he threw.

Reaction Score
Does anyone here remember Ken O'Brien?

Was he a great QB?

Reaction Score
Great in the first half except for giving up a 55 yard td with 20 seconds left in the half. Revis isn't supposed to need help

Aside from that play he shut Nelson down, not to mention the push off by Nelson prior to the catch. Revis isn't supposed to need help? Jordy is one of the best WRs in football, he's gonna make some plays regardless of who is on him. It's clear based on your prior posts that you have some major Patriots hate, but if you're serious with this crap it's also clear that you know absolutely nothing about football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom