OT: Pats-Colts | Page 26 | The Boneyard

OT: Pats-Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like how some kid taking a whiz before he heads out to stay on the field for a couple of hours is less believable to some people than Belichick and Brady training these guys to deflate a dozen footballs in a certain amount of time so it only "looks" like normal stop at a restroom.

It is funny stuff seeing the somersaults people are taking. One guy had his brother inflating balls and handing them over to him quickly as he deflated them. Great stuff.

Reaction Score
I just feel badly for upstater at this point, he's way too invested in this.

My team is still relevant this year. I am psyched for SB Sunday.

If I were you, however, the fan of a losing team not involved in anything, I wouldn't have posted 1/10th of what you did.

Reaction Score
Pat Haters Worst Nightmare:

Pats blow out Seahawks.

NFL can't find anything.

NFL clears Pats of any wrongdoing an issues an apology to Kraft, Bellichick, and Brady.

Brady is widely recognized as the GOAT.

Bellichick is widely recognized at the GOAT.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Word is this was a solo restroom so if the ball boy hypothetically went in with two bags of balls one with the Pat's balls and one with the Colt's balls, is 90 seconds really enough time or room to pull out one ball at a time deflate to an exact psi level grab the next out of the bag and so forth? What if this was just an ironic coincidence of the guy just needing to use the restroom on the way to the field. Either way there is no way this is solved for weeks.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Frankly, I'm shockd that no one has accused the Patriots of cheating for deliberately giving the referees underinflated balls.

Actually, I said that on quite a few occasions last Friday Afternoon (Page 14). I don't think it's cheating, per se. I think its gamesmanship like rubbing out the back line of the batters box. It is done with the understanding that both QBs do what they do. I am also of the opinion that the NFL and the rest of the active QBs around the league are none too happy with Jim Irsay/John Harbaugh, whoever is responsible for the original leak.

To paraphrase, I said I would not be surprised if Brady submitted underinflated footballs or footballs near the low end of the pressure spectrum in hopes they slip by, just as Aaron Rodger insinuated he hopes the refs don't deflate his submitted overinflated footballs. I proposed that the control breakdown happened in the officials' locker room and the officials were exonerated too quickly.

It got compared to 9/11 being an inside job, where there is not even a remote similarity...

Reaction Score
Actually, I said that on quite a few occasions last Friday Afternoon (Page 14). I don't think it's cheating, per se. I think its gamesmanship like rubbing out the back line of the batters box. It is done with the understanding that both QBs do what they do. I am also of the opinion that the NFL and the rest of the active QBs around the league are none too happy with Jim Irsay/John Harbaugh, whoever is responsible for the original leak.

To paraphrase, I said I would not be surprised if Brady submitted underinflated footballs or footballs near the low end of the pressure spectrum in hopes they slip by, just as Aaron Rodger insinuated he hopes the refs don't deflate his submitted overinflated footballs. I proposed that the control breakdown happened in the officials' locker room and the officials were exonerated too quickly.

It got compared to 9/11 being an inside job, where there is not even a remote similarity...

Not sure about the gamesmanship one. That's the best argument of all honestly though. Is there a rule about how high the grass has to be in MLB if the team can bunt or if their infield is old? Is there a rule as to how much water you can put around the bases for a base stealer? I know there's a rule for the weight of the ball, the others I'm not sure. To me those are gamemanship. Heck the Sox have a bunch of groundball hitters and they get a few high hoppers over the infield because they pound down in front of the plate - probably mostly when they are against a sinker baller right? And hell, that's smart!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not sure about the gamesmanship one. That's the best argument of all honestly though. Is there a rule about how high the grass has to be in MLB if the team can bunt or if their infield is old? Is there a rule as to how much water you can put around the bases for a base stealer? I know there's a rule for the weight of the ball, the others I'm not sure. To me those are gamemanship. Heck the Sox have a bunch of groundball hitters and they get a few high hoppers over the infield because they pound down in front of the plate - probably mostly when they are against a sinker baller right? And hell, that's smart!

Making contact with the baseball with a foot outside the batters box is an automatic out. So the lead-off hitter on the visiting team rubs out the back line to give him an extra 4 inches. The ump knows he does it, the catcher knows, and the pitcher knows, but because there is no line, the ump can't definitively make the call. It happens every game, but there is a gentlemen's agreement because if one team is called on pushing the envelope none of them can push the envelope.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who said it didn't?

Were the laws of physics somehow absent on the Colts side? A physics free zone?

NBC reported the Patriots balls at 11.5 PSI. Not all the balls. One of them was at 10.5 PSI. It happened to be the one the Colts equipment guy turned over to the NFL.

By the way, the main guy that broke this story last Monday, Glauber of Newsday, has an article out detailing why Glazer of Fox is full of it on all his reports.
Now that's interesting. The only ball that was 2 psi down was in the possession of the Colts staff. Well conspiracy theorists? What say you to that? Where are tha cameras documenting that ball?

Won't it be ironic if the Colts end up being sanctioned?

Husky25

Reaction Score
There is a link in another of the 73 threads about Deflate---- that the refs may not have stuck a pin in every one of the balls.

If it comes out that the refs did not do a thorough job in their "inspection," did Brady still cheat or is it gamesmanship? If an overinflated Green Bay ball makes it past the officials, did Rodgers cheat or is the onus of that control failure is on the officials and it's gamesmanship? If the onus is on the officials, is a foul a foul even if they don't blow their whistle or is the lineman supposed to fess up and turn himself in for holding?

After all, isn't the reason officials exist in virtually every athletic competition (or otherwise) is because those in completion are looking for ways to bend the rules without notice?

Reaction Score
Big game of poker going on now; but, who's bluffing and who has a full hours. Kraft basically called the NFL out; but, if the NFL can come-up with a full house, i.e. a Pats staff member coming forward and/or video taped evidence, the Pats are screwed not for deflating the balls; but, for lying and then trying to cover it up (again).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The fact that the Colts footballs were properly inflated and the Pats weren't...

I'm just asking... do we know the Colts football were OK? Were they checked as well?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Big game of poker going on now; but, who's bluffing and who has a full hours. Kraft basically called the NFL out; but, if the NFL can come-up with a full house, i.e. a Pats staff member coming forward and/or video taped evidence, the Pats are screwed not for deflating the balls; but, for lying and then trying to cover it up (again).
I think you have it backwards.

I think the NFL leaking that the Officials "confirmed" the pre-game pressure effectively called the Patriots bluff with their own (I don't believe the refs actually checked the pressure). Problem is that the Patriots had the cards, came back over the top, and put the NFL on the defensive. The NFL is looking for the full house on the River, but the card they need has already been dealt and mucked.

Reaction Score
I think this still has a ways to go to play out. If it turns out that the 11 balls were at 11.5, then this whole thing is a non-issue, as that is withing the delta for the air temp change.

Regarding the ball boy in the bathroom, 90 seconds is absolutely enough to deflate 12 balls to where you want them. Check out this device . . . http://www.anthem-sports.com/Tachik...term=A94-105&gclid=CMD-hbeZtcMCFSRo7AodqToAvw
Stick it in, hit release valve until you drop 1 or 2 psi, pull out. You'd have to average about 1 ball every 6 seconds. No problem at all.

Particularly if you've done a lot of them. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think this still has a ways to go to play out. If it turns out that the 11 balls were at 11.5, then this whole thing is a non-issue, as that is withing the delta for the air temp change.

Regarding the ball boy in the bathroom, 90 seconds is absolutely enough to deflate 12 balls to where you want them. Check out this device . . . http://www.anthem-sports.com/Tachik...term=A94-105&gclid=CMD-hbeZtcMCFSRo7AodqToAvw
Stick it in, hit release valve until you drop 1 or 2 psi, pull out. You'd have to average about 1 ball every 6 seconds. No problem at all.

Particularly if you've done a lot of them. ;)
So with 90 seconds he has to enter and close the door. 3 sec

Task........................Task Time....Running Time

1. Enter close the door.. 3 seconds.......3 seconds

2. Open sack...................2 seconds.......5 seconds

3a. Remove ball #1..........2 seconds.......7 seconds (one handed since you'd be holding gauge in the other hand)
3b. Locate hole................1 second.........8 seconds (one handed since you'd be holding gauge in the other hand)
3c. Insert gauge...............1 second.........9 seconds
3d. Drain ball..................2 seconds.......11 seconds
3e. Remove gauge...........1 second.........12 seconds
3f. Set ball on the floor....1 second........13 seconds (can't put it back in bag since you need to keep track of which balls are done)

4. Do balls 2-12...............88 seconds..101 seconds

Pick up balls, put in sack..12 seconds..113 seconds

Exit Bathroom................. 3 seconds....116 seconds

That's about as fast as I can imagine it taking place if you had a very well trained guy doing it and nothing went wrong. In all likelihood it would take far longer.

Reaction Score

Again?

Reaction Score
“We took 12 brand-new authentic NFL footballs and exposed them to the different elements they would have experienced throughout the game,” said Thomas Healy, founder of HeadSmart Labs, in a press release. “Out of the 12 footballs we tested, we found that, on average, footballs dropped 1.8 psi when being exposed to dropping temperatures and wet conditions.”

But, but that's impossible. I mean so many posters here have said that the conditions didn't matter....and, and, and um Belichick is a cheater, so um, so he must have cheated, because, well because that's what I want to believe.
Heh. Never argue with the laws of physics. Einstein wins every time

Reaction Score
Which is far different than innocence. Because you can't explain with the same temperature, same gauges, same process, the Colt's Balls responded differently than the Pats.

Except, nobody knows that. The Colts balls were never tested. Nor do we know, even if they WERE tested, what pressure they were originally inflated to. In the case of the Patriots, considering Brady admitted he liked the balls on the low end, we can assume they would have only inflated them to the lower limit - 12.5 psig. Who knows what the Colts did. And nobody checked them after the fact, either.

Reaction Score
Again?

Basically, who is right? Kraft is now staying that Belichick, Brady and the Pats are innocent and the NFL owes them an apology.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/patrio...ck-mistreated-infaklte-gate/story?id=28502439

Or, Fox Sports reporting that the NFL has a Pats staffer underreview and it has video tape of said staffer moving he balls in between the referee review and the start of the game.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...cker-room-attendant-deflategate-investigation

If the NFL does have a smoking gun so to speak, it would prove that someone within the Pats organization did this and then tried to cover it-up. The act of covering-up the move and lying about it will be more severally treated by the NFL than the action of deflating he balls themselves.

Reaction Score
Basically, who is right? Kraft is now staying that Belichick, Brady and the Pats are innocent and the NFL owes them an apology.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/patrio...ck-mistreated-infaklte-gate/story?id=28502439

Or, Fox Sports reporting that the NFL has a Pats staffer underreview and it has video tape of said staffer moving he balls in between the referee review and the start of the game.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...cker-room-attendant-deflategate-investigation

If the NFL does have a smoking gun so to speak, it would prove that someone within the Pats organization did this and then tried to cover it-up. The act of covering-up the move and lying about it will be more severally treated by the NFL than the action of deflating he balls themselves.

covering-up = rich ball boy ;)

Reaction Score

The reason the kid has the balls is that the refs gave him the balls because he is the NFL's sideline attendant. He gets the balls right before the game each week. Not only did he have the Patriots balls, he also had the Colts balls. He also took a leak. 90 seconds. Some people here spent the day deflating and inflating balls and trying to deflate them in record time. Others realized this story was the story of someone taking a leak. Still others realized that the writer of the Fox story has been debunked and made fun of by several others around sports media (see Glauber of Newsday).

Reaction Score
covering-up = rich ball boy ;)

Wow... I never thought you would actually take it this far. Kid takes a leak, and suddenly he deflated 11 balls. I love how Mr. Conehead makes it sound as though he's a staffer who secretly took the balls away from the refs. In reality, he's the NFL's sideline attendant who handles the balls during the game. He had the Colts balls too. 90 seconds.

Reaction Score
Wow... I never thought you would actually take it this far. Kid takes a leak, and suddenly he deflated 11 balls. I love how Mr. Conehead makes it sound as though he's a staffer who secretly took the balls away from the refs. In reality, he's the NFL's sideline attendant who handles the balls during the game. He had the Colts balls too. 90 seconds.

I'm not but having a blast with you on this one ups. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom