OT NFL Draft | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT NFL Draft

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
based on historical data, Zack moss to Buffalo is going to be an epic steal. He’s not only the best RB in the draft, but the best in the last 4 years. And it’s not even close.

I will try to find the twitter thread detailing said research.
I'd love to see it if you have time, I thought his probability of being great was slim.

Reaction Score
Yeah the Williams trade for a 3 was ridiculous, or as you say a firing offense. Getty was a laughingstock after that as others offered no more than a 5 I believe.
Exactly. And they were forced to pay Williams big $$$ to not look like idiots If he left. Plus they could have gotten him or Clowhey as FA

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Exactly. And they were forced to pay Williams big $$$ to not look like idiots If he left. Plus they could have gotten him or Clowhey as FA

If he didn’t spend 10m per year on blake Martinez, he could’ve probably signed both...

Reaction Score
Jets and Joe Douglas actually getting good grades for their draft.

Becton is a beast that they're comparing to Jonathan Ogden. 6'7", 365 and a 5.1forty time.
They traded down 11 picks and still got Denzel Mims.
La'Mical Perine could be a steal at RB with game breaker speed.
With their last pick, they took punter Braden Mann who averaged 51 ypp and supposedly has a killer leg.

The Mims pick is the one that really has to come through for this class to shine but feel really strongly about the entire draft for them.

Reaction Score
Giants fan here who has very little knowledge about NCAA football (aside from the UConn/NDSU games I watch and the one Yale game I go to a year).

Glad the Giants went with tackle. Time will tell if it's a reach, but I wish Gettleman found a way to trade back.

Thomas is a fine pick at a clear position of need, but Gettleman has no idea about draft value.

He used #2 on a running back.
Then #6 on a QB that nobody else valued that highly.
Now #4 on a tackle that was basically interchangeable with 2-3 others.

He should have been able to get all of those things, plus a few other Day 1 or Day 2 picks. That and the Leonard Williams situation just shows how he's playing tiddlywinks while everyone else is playing chess in today's NFL.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
based on historical data, Zack moss to Buffalo is going to be an epic steal. He’s not only the best RB in the draft, but the best in the last 4 years. And it’s not even close.

I will try to find the twitter thread detailing said research.

Huge Bills fan, and I'm thrilled with our draft. Our GM knows what he's doing (not something I've said often in 20 years or so) and we nabbed a few guys they thought really highly of.

The Iowa kid in the 2nd round, from what I hear, they liked him potentially at 22. They got Diggs with 22, who is one of my favorite WRs in the league before the trade. Then Moss and a few big target WRs. I'm very happy.

Reaction Score
Thomas is a fine pick at a clear position of need, but Gettleman has no idea about draft value.

He used #2 on a running back.
Then #6 on a QB that nobody else valued that highly.
Now #4 on a tackle that was basically interchangeable with 2-3 others.

He should have been able to get all of those things, plus a few other Day 1 or Day 2 picks. That and the Leonard Williams situation just shows how he's playing tiddlywinks while everyone else is playing chess in today's NFL.

I would say under Judge he made smart moves, hes doing what should have been done when Gettelman got here which is build from the inside out not the outside in which he did by taking Barkley, then Jones then the lineman when it shouldve been the other way around. Not all the needs were going to be addressed in this draft, oline and linebacker were the biggest ones. Judge is brining guys who are disciplined and come from winning environments including his own guys from the Pats. I want rookies who are gonna be breathing down veterans necks to take their job, and create competition.

the Q

Reaction Score
I would say under Judge he made smart moves, hes doing what should have been done when Gettelman got here which is build from the inside out not the outside in which he did by taking Barkley, then Jones then the lineman when it shouldve been the other way around. Not all the needs were going to be addressed in this draft, oline and linebacker were the biggest ones. Judge is brining guys who are disciplined and come from winning environments including his own guys from the Pats. I want rookies who are gonna be breathing down veterans necks to take their job, and create competition.

His biggest mistake was not taking the offer that the colts got from the Jets.

the Q

Reaction Score
What exactly was that offer?

6th overall pick and 3 seconds, two in 2018 and one in 2019.

Reaction Score
6th overall pick and 3 seconds, two in 2018 and one in 2019.

Beyond stupid, Gettelman fell in love with Barkley too much. Barkley could very well be a hall of famer thats not the point though, this draft is what the Giants shouldve been doing from the very beginning. I wasnt of the Shurmur hire either, if the last 2 years of failuremeans hes gone I'm all for it (I do think he also got screwed by Gettelman). Now its about what happens from here, hopefully the Giants finally got it right this time with Judge.

Reaction Score
As far as an immediate reaction--which means nothing, ultimately--this was the Jets' best draft in years. It's nice to have a GM actually address need, make multiple trades during the draft, and acquire additional picks/assets. They added speed and high-character players.

In the end, this draft will come down to Becton and Mims. Darnold needs weapons and protection in the worst way. He has arguably the worst OL + playmakers combination in the entire league. Even though he's young, this is already his third season coming up after two disappointing years (largely because of his anemic supporting cast); it's time to start making real strides. Mims concerns me a bit. Someone with his measurables shouldn't have been the 13th WR off the board. Something has to give.

This is our first draft in 14 years where we took multiple offensive players in the first two rounds; that's insane for a franchise that has been offensively challenged for so long.

Reaction Score
I guess i’m in the minority on this, but i’m quite happy with Saquon

Its not about not being happy about Saquon it was about getting more picks at the time and buiding from the inside out, having said that if the last 2 years meant firing Shurmur I'm all for it, as the Giants weren't close to being contenders as it was. It is good to see that Gettelman is willing to atone for his mistakes as opposed to Jerry Reese who kept repeating his mistakes over and over again.

Reaction Score
Its not about not being happy about Saquon it was about getting more picks at the time and buiding from the inside out, having said that if the last 2 years meant firing Shurmur I'm all for it, as the Giants weren't close to being contenders as it was. It is good to see that Gettelman is willing to atone for his mistakes as opposed to Jerry Reese who kept repeating his mistakes over and over again.
Saquon is generational. Should/could have traded down last year and this year, but staying put and taking Saquon was perfectly fine by me.

Reaction Score
Apparently a huge disconnect between the media and NFL on who the top tackles were. Teams picking 5-8 all had Thomas as their #1 tackle. Not sure Giants could have gotten him if they traded down.

At least eight teams had Thomas ranked as their top offensive tackle, NJ Advance Media learned in recent weeks, so the Giants believed they had to grab him with the fourth pick.

The Giants spent much of last week frantically trying to trade down, according to multiple executives and a current general manager, but a market for the No. 4 pick never developed. If the Giants believed Thomas would still be there after moving down, it might have been a mistake: The Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, Los Angeles Chargers, Arizona Cardinals and Carolina Panthers had Thomas as the top tackle on their draft boards, according to several NFL scouts and executives.

Reaction Score
I guess i’m in the minority on this, but i’m quite happy with Saquon
You're crazy if you are a Giants fan and you are not happy with Saquon. He's amazing.

However, the complaint of some Giants fans is staying at #2 to draft Saquon was the wrong choice.

We can't change the past and there's no point of sulking about it now.

Overall, this is the most excited I've been about a Giants draft since the 2013 Pugh/Hankins draft. I'll be the first to admit I thought Beckham in 2014 was a reach.

Reaction Score
You're crazy if you are a Giants fan and you are not happy with Saquon. He's amazing.

However, the complaint of some Giants fans is staying at #2 to draft Saquon was the wrong choice.

Overall, this is the most excited I've been about a Giants draft since the 2013 Pugh/Hankins draft. I'll be the first to admit I thought Beckham in 2014 was a reach.
The worry with Saquon is you're going to need to give him a new contract next season and pay him $16-17M a year. He's a great player but a RB is almost never worth that money, just look at the trend of recent guys who have been paid at RB. Even just since that tweet, 2 of the top 5 were released and a 3rd was traded to dump salary

But nothing we can do and they're not trading him so hopefully they find a way to make it work. He's definitely fun to watch

Reaction Score
Apparently a huge disconnect between the media and NFL on who the top tackles were. Teams picking 5-8 all had Thomas as their #1 tackle. Not sure Giants could have gotten him if they traded down.

At least eight teams had Thomas ranked as their top offensive tackle, NJ Advance Media learned in recent weeks, so the Giants believed they had to grab him with the fourth pick.

The Giants spent much of last week frantically trying to trade down, according to multiple executives and a current general manager, but a market for the No. 4 pick never developed. If the Giants believed Thomas would still be there after moving down, it might have been a mistake: The Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, Los Angeles Chargers, Arizona Cardinals and Carolina Panthers had Thomas as the top tackle on their draft boards, according to several NFL scouts and executives.

Good to hear. Hope Gettleman has a ton of success with this, I mean I am a Giants fan.

Reaction Score

The key on the success of Saquon is how good Daniel Jones will be. They rolled the dice and paired those two up for Barkley's prime. He's got a shelf life of 5-6 great years at RB? If Jones isn't the guy then you're either going back to the draft and trying again (bad for Barkley) or pulling in a retread FA (and that's not a great option most times).

If Daniel Jones can't be "the guy", you basically have Barry Sanders or Walter Payton on a bunch of mediocre teams.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's unbelievable how many football fans still think RBs matter. Taking Barkley was a monumental mistake.

Reaction Score
It's unbelievable how many football fans still think RBs matter. Taking Barkley was a monumental mistake.
You don't think running backs matter? I'm guessing you didn't watch the playoffs.

Reaction Score

They do matter no team has ever won a Super Bowl without a running game, even KC needed one especially against the Titans and 49ers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom