OT NFL Draft | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT NFL Draft

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You don't think running backs matter? I'm guessing you didn't watch the playoffs.
The team with the best QB won the whole thing, and his running back was an undrafted free agent. The 49ers starter was also undrafted(i believe). Remember when the Rams replaced prime Todd Gurley with 240 pound CJ Anderson? You don't have to invest the second pick in the entire draft on a running back, they're interchangeable. You probably think Brady should've handed it off to Green-Ellis more in his prime.

Reaction Score
The team with the best QB won the whole thing, and his running back was an undrafted free agent. The 49ers starter was also undrafted(i believe). Remember when the Rams replaced prime Todd Gurley with 240 pound CJ Anderson? You don't have to invest the second pick in the entire draft on a running back, they're interchangeable. You probably think Brady should've handed it off to Green-Ellis more in his prime.
The 49ers had Breida and Mostert who were both undrafted and Tevin Coleman who was a 3rd round pick and always a backup. Which I think proves your point 3 times

Reaction Score
They do matter no team has ever won a Super Bowl without a running game, even KC needed one especially against the Titans and 49ers.
A running game is different than a running back. A running game is helped by a good oline, a good scheme , and the threat of a decent passing game. The starting RB's in the Super Bowl this year were Damien Williams and Raheem Mostert. Both were undrafted free agents. You can find RBs everywehere and plug them into a good system or a good team. They might not be Tomlinson or Faulk, but good enough to win. It's all about team salary distribution and lifespan/durability. You take a RB in round 1 and pick up his 5th year option. By that time(2nd contract)that player is 26 or 27 with a lot of miles on the tires. That age is young for every other position. If you are an RB, you are already on the back 9 of your career. This isn't even taking into consideration that the position has the highest major injury risk of all the positions. In the 1980's RBs were king. Now they are at the bottom ofnthe food chain along with Strong Safeties, a 3rd starting linebacker, and guards. There are exceptions like McCaffrey and perhaps Barkley or Zeke but the vast majority of GMs just don't want to invest a huge amount in 1 high priced RB with a short shelf life than can blow a knee on their next cut. They prefer multiple backs where youth and affordability are major considerations. Now QB's, pass rushers, cover corners, Left tackles, #1 WRs are the premium positions.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
A running game is different than a running back. A running game is helped by a good oline, a good scheme , and the threat of a decent passing game. The starting RB's in the Super Bowl this year were Damien Williams and Raheem Mostert. Both were undrafted free agents. You can find RBs everywehere and plug them into a good system or a good team. They might not be Tomlinson or Faulk, but good enough to win. It's all about team salary distribution and lifespan/durability. You take a RB in round 1 and pick up his 5th year option. By that time(2nd contract)that player is 26 or 27 with a lot of miles on the tires. That age is young for every other position. If you are an RB, you are already on the back 9 of your career. This isn't even taking into consideration that the position has the highest major injury risk of all the positions. In the 1980's RBs were king. Now they are at the bottom ofnthe food chain along with Strong Safeties, a 3rd starting linebacker, and guards. There are exceptions like McCaffrey and perhaps Barkley or Zeke but the vast majority of GMs just don't want to invest a huge amount in 1 high priced RB with a short shelf life than can blow a knee on their next cut. They prefer multiple backs where youth and affordability are major considerations. Now QB's, pass rushers, cover corners, Left tackles, #1 WRs are the premium positions.
This is everything I was too lazy to type out, besides there being any exceptions.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I'd compare running backs/running the ball to post bigs and mid range shots. They used to be essential for how the game was played, but as time went on people figured out that passing and 3pt shooting were the most efficient ways to score. This doesn't mean you can't win other ways, but there's a clear blueprint to follow if you want to maximize your efficiency in these sports.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Without a strong QB and skillful WRs and a formidable TE, you aren't going to win squat
A strong D will keep you in a game but it's the O that wins the game in football

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Saquon is generational. Should/could have traded down last year and this year, but staying put and taking Saquon was perfectly fine by me.

Gettleman never trades down -- either because he doesn't try hard enough/asks for too much, or things just don't work out. A lot of people thought he should have picked a QB. I'm happier with Barkley than any of the QBs we probably would have gotten. For the record, I did want the Giants to trade down.

I think the Thomas pick was fine and McKinney was a great pick. Second year in the last 3 that the Giants picked the guy all the fans wanted in Round 2.

Reaction Score
Gettleman never trades down -- either because he doesn't try hard enough/asks for too much, or things just don't work out. A lot of people thought he should have picked a QB. I'm happier with Barkley than any of the QBs we probably would have gotten. For the record, I did want the Giants to trade down.

I think the Thomas pick was fine and McKinney was a great pick. Second year in the last 3 that the Giants picked the guy all the fans wanted in Round 2.
Initially I wasn’t in love with the Thomas pick because I really wanted Simmons, but Thomas seems to be someone you can stick in and not worry about for 5+ years. McKinney was a great pick, amazing value, and Holmes looks to be a coaches dream as well. Happy with the draft. Need to either lockdown Golden or go after a good EDGE, because we are sorely lacking right now.

Reaction Score
Jay Glazer on Andrew Thomas from his mailbag on The Athletic:

I will say this about Thomas, too. Early on when I started doing my research Tristan Wirfs seemed to be one overall. It was Wirfs, Mekhi Becton, Jedrick Wills, Thomas. The more I spoke to teams last week, I kept hearing Andrew Thomas’s name higher and higher. I kept hearing him more and more. I also kept hearing about CB A.J. Terrell from Clemson, and I started hearing more about WR Henry Ruggs moving up. I judge based on what I hear on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Andrew Thomas’ name was getting higher during that time.

Reaction Score
Jay Glazer on Andrew Thomas from his mailbag on The Athletic:

I will say this about Thomas, too. Early on when I started doing my research Tristan Wirfs seemed to be one overall. It was Wirfs, Mekhi Becton, Jedrick Wills, Thomas. The more I spoke to teams last week, I kept hearing Andrew Thomas’s name higher and higher. I kept hearing him more and more. I also kept hearing about CB A.J. Terrell from Clemson, and I started hearing more about WR Henry Ruggs moving up. I judge based on what I hear on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Andrew Thomas’ name was getting higher during that time.
I’m happy with it. I think Wirfs, Wills and him top 3 for sure.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’m happy with it. I think Wirfs, Wills and him top 3 for sure.
I think that tackle from Oregon Sewell can go #1 overall next year ahead of Lawrence depending on who gets the pick. He’s never allowed a pressure. Insane.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom