OT: NFL Draft | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: NFL Draft

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'll drink to that. He was terrible. When they made him head coach I was livid.

Ironically, two of Eli's statistically best seasons were under McAdoo as the OC.

The year before McAdoo arrived, Eli threw 18 TDs and 27 INTs.

In his two seasons with McAdoo as OC, Eli had 30 & 14 and then 35 & 14 and threw for over 4,400 yards each year.

The dude was clearly in over his head as HC, but the one reason I thought it might work out was that he seemed to have turned Eli around after the worst season of his career.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Walter Payton ran for over 1500 yards in the Chicago Bears Super Bowl XX year. That was an awesome team both offensively and especially on defense.
You are so correct and I am wrong - my bad!
I meant Gale Sayers
Add Jim Brown to that list

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Whatever the opinions, I for one,think the Giants did fairly well in the draft. Nice selection. The must needed change in the front office looks like the right foot was put forward.
Consensus among experts say the GMen had an overall grade of A- and top 3 draft overall - can't remember the last time, if ever, that top 3 and Giants have been mentioned when it comes to the draft
Barkley was the no-brainer and adding that OL mountain Hernandez with #2 was outstanding

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If the Giants had taken Chubb at #2 or traded down and took the ND guard and then made the rest of the same picks, I think it would have been a fantastic draft.

The Barkley pick is the albatross, but I think it's tough to argue with the rest of the selections.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if any Giants fans can quibble with the selections in Rounds 2-5. (Maybe the Richmond QB was a wasted pick, but everyone said we needed another QB prospect...)

I'm pretty happy overall. Mostly because it wasn't Reese picking for us. That octopus in Germany would make better picks than Reese.

Lauletta was an absolute steal in the 4th round. Very smart pick.

Reaction Score
Lauletta was an absolute steal in the 4th round. Very smart pick.
At the very least it creates real competition for QB2 and then QB1 in a couple years

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
At the very least it creates real competition for QB2 and then QB1 in a couple years

I'm confident he'll beat out Webb in that new offense. They should have played Webb last year to see what he could do.

Reaction Score
While I also would have traded down to 5 and taken Nelson and the picks I can live with a botched pick being a complete RB freak who can run catch and block
He had a great college career and an all time combine. He’s a physical freak.
Add in solder and this Hernandez mountain at LG and I can’t wait to see this offense.
I get the whole value thing with taking an RB at 2 but at least if you are going to “blow” your first pick , you might as well get the best player in he draft while doing it.
I also liked the two defensive guys in the third round...and maybe a hidden gem at QB.
If Shurmur likes the kid then I’m buying in.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I get the whole value thing with taking an RB at 2 but at least if you are going to “blow” your first pick , you might as well get the best player in he draft while doing it.

If I am reading this correctly, I agree with you

Hands down, Barkley was the "best player" in the draft. The fact that he is a RB and not QB does nothing to tarnish that rating. IMHO none of these QBs, with the possible exception of Allen, was worth a "must get" or franchise label. The GMen needed RB threat to keep the defenses off of keying in on the WRs and TEs.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I hope so. (Not going to hold my breath.)
I am thinking when that time came it was like "Okay, who do we pick now, we have to pick somebody". Another lineman. Hell a water boy. At least he would be busy all game.Nothing against the QB but this kid is not going see the field.

Reaction Score
Seriously? You don't think Cousins and Rivers are better than Eli right now? I hope you're joking. Dalton has regressed and will struggle to keep his job unless he improves. Flacco is meh. The Giants would trade Eli for Carr, Goff or Watson, and give up loads of picks, without thinking twice. The comparison isn't too "peak" Eli, it's to 2018 Eli.

But it is a moot point. The Giants wisely took Lauletta, who many think is very Garappolo like, but with worse arm strength. It was a savvy pick. A guy many people thought the Pats would take. Eli will likely start at the beginning of the season, and the improvements in the OL and addition of Barkley should make him more effective. But unless he is great, I assume he'll lose the starter's job at some point.

Like I said wait and see, brady would've regressed with the Giants last year as would all you named. Completely ridiculous to even throw him out there with the squad they had on offense from the line to the receivers to the running game worst in the NFL in each. If he sucks with what they are putting around him then I will cave until then I will wait. Cousins, seriously what has he done? Rivers, same? Like I said let's see what happens I may agree by mid year next year or may be all over all of you. Obviously I know what I'm rooting for!

Reaction Score
I am thinking when that time came it was like "Okay, who do we pick now, we have to pick somebody". Another lineman. Hell a water boy. At least he would be busy all game.Nothing against the QB but this kid is not going see the field.

Heard Shurmur this morning he saw him in the Senior Bowl then started watching tape, really likes the kid.

He also said that seeing Eli this spring throwing they were all sure he still has all the throws and will do the job provided they did put the team together to help him this year and at least next.

Reaction Score
Like I said wait and see, brady would've regressed with the Giants last year as would all you named. Completely ridiculous to even throw him out there with the squad they had on offense from the line to the receivers to the running game worst in the NFL in each. If he sucks with what they are putting around him then I will cave until then I will wait. Cousins, seriously what has he done? Rivers, same? Like I said let's see what happens I may agree by mid year next year or may be all over all of you. Obviously I know what I'm rooting for!
It’s not about what they’ve done, people here just think they are currently better QB’s than Eli, which is a fair and valid assumption.

Reaction Score
It’s not about what they’ve done, people here just think they are currently better QB’s than Eli, which is a fair and valid assumption.

People have opinions as do I. So discounting last year let's see what he does moving forward with an actual offense around him. That's fair too and valid!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Heard Shurmur this morning he saw him in the Senior Bowl then started watching tape, really likes the kid.

He also said that seeing Eli this spring throwing they were all sure he still has all the throws and will do the job provided they did put the team together to help him this year and at least next.
Great news Mau. So, they waited for the last spot. I wonder if the pucker factor was setting in.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For all those who panned the Baker Mayfield pick, I thought this was interesting. Apparently, Belichick didn't agree.

Agent: Pats mulled trade to No. 2 for Mayfield

If true, that would have been amazing. Who knows if Bill would have been right, but a lot of decision makers really liked the kid. Jets were apparently gonna take him too at the 3rd spot.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
For all those who panned the Baker Mayfield pick, I thought this was interesting. Apparently, Belichick didn't agree.

Agent: Pats mulled trade to No. 2 for Mayfield

If true, that would have been amazing. Who knows if Bill would have been right, but a lot of decision makers really liked the kid. Jets were apparently gonna take him too at the 3rd spot.

I think smart NFL GMs are finally acknowledging that the most critical traits of successful NFL QBs are mental. There are probably 20+ guys a year that have physical tools that might be enough to play QB in the NFL. Some may be exceptional athletes, some not. But reading defenses, getting the ball out on time, to the right guy/read, accurately, is 90% of what separates the good from the bad.

It's what made Mayfield the #1 choice, and why Josh Allen probably shouldn't have even gone in the first round. For you Giants fans, it's why I think Lauletta will beat out Webb. It's what the Pats saw in Garappolo as well, and probably even the LSU guy they took in the 7th round. Mayfield's passer efficiency ratings were absurdly good. He was a walk on, who has obvious leadership qualities.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't believe that for one second.

They were definitely exploring it. Per Mike Reiss:

1. Agent Jack Mills is one of the most reputable in the business.
2. Originally interested, but didn't want to use one of their 30 visits as they were picking 31.
3. Obtained the 23rd pick for Brandon Cooks, and now that they had some capital, called back Baker's agent to line up a visit.
4. Did an initial interview, and then McDaniels flew down to Texas the Monday before the draft to meet face to face with Mayfield.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom