OT: NFL Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: NFL Draft

Reaction Score
#SuckforSam

Actually, I'm interested if Hackenberg can play at all. I'd say no, but want to see.

When a coach like Rex flames out, you go get the anti-Rex. Quiet, no stupid sound bites, nothing for the back pages. He's a dead man walkin now. Hopefully, they can draft a Qb next year and get a new qb, coach and offensive coordinator all at the same time to grow together.

Reaction Score
For the 10th year in a row Jerry Reese has thrown away his 3rd round pick. Davis fn Webb

Reaction Score
Jet fans, giant fans pondering there picks, there coaches, (maybe only the jets) , the owners. Lots of holes to fill. All I can say is that it's great to be a Patriot fan. See ya in the fall boneyarders.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
All I can say is that it's great to be a Patriot fan. See ya in the fall boneyarders.

Pats draft this year has been awesome. BB trading like an absolute . Like 10 trades or something -> hard to keep track at this point.

Aquired (through Day 2):
1st: vet WR Brandon Cooks at 2 yr $5m per
2nd: vet DE Kony Ealy + 3-72
3-83: DE Derek Rivers (sleeper city)
3-85: OT Antonio Garcia (huge upside)
4-137: vet TE Dwayne Allen + 6-200
5-163: vet RB Mike Gillislee
5-183: 2nd yr move TE James O'Shaughnessy + 6-216
6-216: TE James O’Shaughnessy & the 216th pick to the Patriots and acquired the 183rd pick from New England in return.

On draft day, traded away:
3-72
3-96
4-124
5 -183
6-200

And this is hilarious. From Schefty:

Patriots original 2017 picks:
1-32: Traded
2-64: Traded
3-96: Traded
Top 4th rounder: Forfeited
5-175: Traded
6-215: Traded
7-250: Traded

Reaction Score
Pats draft this year has been awesome. BB trading like an absolute . Like 10 trades or something -> hard to keep track at this point.

Aquired (through Day 2):
1st: vet WR Brandon Cooks at 2 yr $5m per
2nd: vet DE Kony Ealy + 3-72
3-83: DE Derek Rivers (sleeper city)
3-85: OT Antonio Garcia (huge upside)
4-137: vet TE Dwayne Allen + 6-200
5-163: vet RB Mike Gillislee
5-183: 2nd yr move TE James O'Shaughnessy + 6-216
6-216: TE James O’Shaughnessy & the 216th pick to the Patriots and acquired the 183rd pick from New England in return.

On draft day, traded away:
3-72
3-96
4-124
5 -183
6-200

And this is hilarious. From Schefty:

Patriots original 2017 picks:
1-32: Traded
2-64: Traded
3-96: Traded
Top 4th rounder: Forfeited
5-175: Traded
6-215: Traded
7-250: Traded

This is an F it I'm all in draft because the long term impact of what they received will be very low. BB knows he and Brady have only a couple years before they both go out and he's rightfully not worrying about what happens after that.

Reaction Score
You have to in a sense

Imagine if you surrounded 'Bron with a bunch of D league players like Quinn Cook and DHam

This is an F it I'm all in draft because the long term impact of what they received will be very low. BB knows he and Brady have only a couple years before they both go out and he's rightfully not worrying about what happens after that.

Reaction Score
You have to in a sense

Imagine if you surrounded 'Bron with a bunch of D league players like Quinn Cook and DHam
I agree with it. Take it while you can but if this sort of thing is the new norm, it's going to be a rude awakening when they step away and the cupboard is totally bare.

Reaction Score
How can you say that yet?

Dak was a 4th. I think Dak is a total joke and when they start to introduce more complicated schemes and plays he'll be a bust.

For the 10th year in a row Jerry Reese has thrown away his 3rd round pick. Davis fn Webb

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree with it. Take it while you can but if this sort of thing is the new norm, it's going to be a rude awakening when they step away and the cupboard is totally bare.

Don't agree with you here. They are one of the youngest teams in the league. So the future is well stocked in that respect. They've got a number of core guys locked up. Came out smelling like roses from ditching Collins and Jones. I personally feel they f---d up the Butler thing (coulda signed him last year), but that's not even what we are talking about.

The top two guys they got this year are perfect Patriots. They could both be studs. Not saying they will, but the potential is there. They dropped because of the school they played at, that simple. All the other guys are in control for multiple years. Plenty of time to draft replacement players next season.

Not only that, but they've got a ton of UDFAs this year. And the Patriots are one of the top few teams in the league with these guys (iirc Patriots, Seattle, Baltimore, maybe Broncos). So that will make up for some lack of picks.

And I also don't think BB will retire with Brady. The way he's drafted QBs shows he's thinking about the future. In fact, unless Jacoby blows up, I think Bill's going to try to lock up Jimmy G long term. Allow Brady to play a couple as a reduced rate, and go from there. No idea if it will work, but I can see this happening.

Bottom line: this reminds me far more of 2007, than it does of going for broke.

Reaction Score

Why do you think the impact is very low? Cooks is younger than some of the guys getting drafted yesterday.

Reaction Score
And I also don't think BB will retire with Brady. The way he's drafted QBs shows he's thinking about the future. In fact, unless Jacoby blows up, I think Bill's going to try to lock up Jimmy G long term. Allow Brady to play a couple as a reduced rate, and go from there. No idea if it will work, but I can see this happening.

Bottom line: this reminds me far more of 2007, than it does of going for broke.

I can't even imagine how they will keep JG without letting Brady go.

His contract is up next offseason. So then you have to franchise Jimmy G for $24m.

How is that going to work?

I don't think it can be done.

One of them has to go.

Reaction Score
Jet fans, giant fans pondering there picks, there coaches, (maybe only the jets) , the owners. Lots of holes to fill. All I can say is that it's great to be a Patriot fan. See ya in the fall boneyarders.

What are Giants fans pondering about 'yell? I know they supposedly need help but guessing the plan is in place. They just added a hybrid TE that will live in luxury between the WR's they have are you kidding me. Defense will be solid as it was last year they got a guy who can replace Hankins - not sure how we got thrown in with the Jets here but hey, you're all giddy again I guess.

Treading about the QB I like it. He's got a couple three years and what better way to get the next one than to bring him along yourselves. Brady was nobody too right? And if you think you're going to replace Eli with someone elses throw away then you are stupid. From everything I am reading this was a very good pick, all the tools and huge study of the game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I can't even imagine how they will keep JG without letting Brady go.
His contract is up next offseason. So then you have to franchise Jimmy G for $24m.
How is that going to work?
I don't think it can be done.
One of them has to go.

I don't think it's that out of the question. The idea would be to not franchise JG if you could, by guaranteeing him like only 2 years more of Brady, and trying to work a cap and player friendly long term contract.

Basically tell Tom, "listen we'll give you a couple more years, but you gotta restructure at a super cut rate because we need to prepare for the future. If you don't, we have to move on". I'm not sure of the rules on this, but if you could cut Brady after the season, you'd save 8m on the cap [in 2018 and 15m in 2019], and then resign at a vet min. BB is not going to just sacrifice everything because it's Tom. Everyone's got a shelf life. And if Tom wants to play he'd have to agree. Tom isn't playing for money at all right now. He and his wife have more money than god. He's also a team first guy.

I'm not saying that would happen, just kicking around scenarios. And look I wouldn't put it past Bill to take a 20m franchise tag on a backup. Guy zigs when everyone else zags. You might have to take a year of tough cap hits, but that's more than worth it for a long term franchise QB.

Reaction Score
Seems like the giants made out ok Mau. Jets also. ahh! Just having a little fun. Much more concerned over our husky's.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Treading about the QB I like it. He's got a couple three years and what better way to get the next one than to bring him along yourselves. Brady was nobody too right? And if you think you're going to replace Eli with someone elses throw away then you are stupid. From everything I am reading this was a very good pick, all the tools and huge study of the game.

Teams should draft QBs damn near every other year. Even with a HOF under center. It's just good business. Since Brady took over, the Pats have drafted 7 QBs.

Jimmy Garoppolo - 2nd
Ryan Mallett - 3rd
Kevin O'Connell- 3rd
Rohan Davey - 4th
Kliff Kingsbury - 6th
Matt Cassel - 7th
Zac Robinson - 8th

Next year, I'm guessing they draft another as well. Strong QB class next year.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that out of the question. The idea would be to not franchise JG if you could, by guaranteeing him like only 2 years more of Brady, and trying to work a cap and player friendly long term contract.

Basically tell Tom, "listen we'll give you a couple more years, but you gotta restructure at a super cut rate because we need to prepare for the future. If you don't, we have to move on". I'm not sure of the rules on this, but if you could cut Brady after the season, you'd save 8m on the cap [in 2018 and 15m in 2019], and then resign at a vet min. BB is not going to just sacrifice everything because it's Tom. Everyone's got a shelf life. And if Tom wants to play he'd have to agree. Tom isn't playing for money at all right now. He and his wife have more money than god. He's also a team first guy.

I'm not saying that would happen, just kicking around scenarios. And look I wouldn't put it past Bill to take a 20m franchise tag on a backup. Guy zigs when everyone else zags. You might have to take a year of tough cap hits, but that's more than worth it for a long term franchise QB.

Mediocre QBs these days, like Tyrod Taylor and Brock Osweiler, are making $15m+.

JG might say, you need to pay me $18m or $19m at least. I still don't see how they can do this. Brady is already paid peanuts.

Reaction Score

Belichick also isn't going to force Brady out until he sees noticeable signs of decline, regardless of how convenient it is for long term planning. Brady has more of less carried the team in their last 2 SBs.

It's also extremely doubtful that he tags JG just to back up, and 0% chance he tries pulling what you suggested by making Brady play for the vet minimum. That would be a complete mess for clubhouse culture and likely ruin any chance they would have at signing players to team friendly contracts if they try doing that to their franchise icon. It'd be like if Calhoun benched AJ Price in 09 because we had Kemba.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Belichick also isn't going to force Brady out until he sees noticeable signs of decline, regardless of how convenient it is for long term planning. Brady has more of less carried the team in their last 2 SBs.
I totally agree he won't force Brady out if he's still playing at an optimum level. But if there's a little slippage, I think he'll pounce. The quarterback position is too important to do otherwise. BB is a computer when it comes to this stuff. Sentimentality and emotion are a detriment to winning in the NFL. Every time.

It's also extremely doubtful that he tags JG just to back up, and 0% chance he tries pulling what you suggested by making Brady play for the vet minimum. That would be a complete mess for clubhouse culture and likely ruin any chance they would have at signing players to team friendly contracts if they try doing that to their franchise icon. It'd be like if Calhoun benched AJ Price in 09 because we had Kemba.

I made that sound a lot more contentious than it was meant to be. I just think Brady is such a team player, he'd be more than happy to work out a situation that benefited the team long term, even if he sacrificed money. I truly believe he doesn't give a rats arse about money at this point.

Everyone on the Pats knows they're on borrowed time, even if they play great. Heck, half the time it's because they play great. 'Football is a business' is accepted practice when you come to the Pats. 'It is known'. So to speak.

And people always say, BB would never do this....and he goes and does it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Mediocre QBs these days, like Tyrod Taylor and Brock Osweiler, are making $15m+.

JG might say, you need to pay me $18m or $19m at least. I still don't see how they can do this. Brady is already paid peanuts.

Peanuts? He's making 15 million per at a cap hit of 22m. It's a lot less than elite guys, but it's not cheap for an average player. He's gonna restructure again for sure, but figuring out how to manage that cap will be tough.

You don't know how much JG wants to stay in NE either. I don't either, but the chance to play for Kraft and BB is incredibly enticing. Sacrificing a year or two might be worth it. Neither of us knows.

We'll revisit this in a year and see what happened. I'll be happy to admit I was wrong. I'm not even saying this will unfold, just that it's a distinct possibility.

Reaction Score
Peanuts? He's making 15 million per at a cap hit of 22m. It's a lot less than elite guys, but it's not cheap for an average player. He's gonna restructure again for sure, but figuring out how to manage that cap will be tough.

You don't know how much JG wants to stay in NE either. I don't either, but the chance to play for Kraft and BB is incredibly enticing. Sacrificing a year or two might be worth it. Neither of us knows.

We'll revisit this in a year and see what happened. I'll be happy to admit I was wrong. I'm not even saying this will unfold, just that it's a distinct possibility.

Brady should be at $28m. When you get half your worth, that's peanuts. If Carson Palmer and Andrew Luck are worth $25m, Brady is worth $28m.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom