OT: Newark, Vancouver, Skagway | The Boneyard

OT: Newark, Vancouver, Skagway

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We're going on vacation starting this weekend.

Three places I have never been to, but have always wanted to visit - Newark, Vancouver and Alaska.

The family is excited for our visit to Newark. We've heard good things - haven't booked anything because I originally thought we'd drive to Newark and only spent three or four minutes sightseeing before we dashed into the airport. Now, our flight is at 6 am, so we're going to have to come in the night before. Looking for a good hotel with parking as close to the airport as humanly possible. Priorities are - 1) Clean, 2) Clean, 3) Clean, 4) Convenient, 5) Clean, 5) Clean (tie). It really has to be clean. If it's not, my wife will try to sleep in the car and I hear the urban camping scene in Newark is dicey.

After Newark, we're going to Vancouver. I know zero about the city. We're going to be staying at Canada Place - our flight gets us into Vancouver at 10:30 am, so say we're at the hotel, situated and ready to head out to see something by 1 pm.

I would like to go to Grouse Mountain and Capilano in one day and Stanley Park and Granville Island on another day. Possible? My guess is that we should save Grouse and Capilano for Sunday and just try to see Stanley and Granville on Saturday? Do something else instead? Skip one of those things? We'll have another full day in Vancouver the week afterwards, so if there's anything else people think is a must-see, we'd be able to hit it on the return trip.

After that, we're going to Skagway, Alaska. We have a good amount of time there - 15 hours. If anyone is familiar with it, we're going to try to get to Upper Dewey Lake from town. That will kill six hours. After that, we have the rest of the day to look around, go to lunch, whatever. If you've ever been there, recommend something.

We're also going to Juneau and Ketchikan - I think we have a little bit of a free time there, but we have some touristy crap booked first.

Finally, if you ever wanted to get away with some nonsense here, next week is your moment. Go crazy. I might deputize someone to take my usual place in the usual arguments, but I'll have to see if whaler or superjohn are free first.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Newark: The Marriot at the airport is actually pretty good. It's been renovated relatively recently, so should pass the clean test.

Reaction Score
Those seaplanes in alaska are a bit terrifying but man, getting the overhead view of that terrain is awe-inspiring. I don't remember where I went but any coastal town has them and it's quite worth it.

Reaction Score
Vancouver is amazing. Best strip clubs. Bring the fam.
Been to just about every place you listed. Pay extra and take the helicopter to the glacier. Very nice. Do not go halibut fishing in homer or anywhere

Reaction Score
Davidson Glacier
White Pass & Yukon Route Railway
Lower Reid Falls
Chilkoot Trail
Skagway Brewing Company

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I should have mentioned that - we're taking a helicopter to a glacier in Juneau and spending a couple of hours trying to bury other tourists in the ice.

In Ketchikan, we're going all-out tourist and taking a ride on one of the Deadliest Catch boats.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I'd go to Granville and Stanley on Sat, yes. They aren't that far away and Granville Island's Market is a great place to walk off your flight and eat some really good food.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Will you be in Alaska for the eclipse? Not total that far north, but it'll still be visible. If you're lucky you'll be flying back at the time of the eclipse. That's assuming it doesn't blind the pilot and crash the plane.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Kinda sounds like you are going on a cruise? Or no?

Reaction Score
I should have mentioned that - we're taking a helicopter to a glacier in Juneau and spending a couple of hours trying to bury other tourists in the ice.

In Ketchikan, we're going all-out tourist and taking a ride on one of the Deadliest Catch boats.

Cancel the boat you will thank me. You will lose 5 pounds not fun

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We're going on vacation starting this weekend.

Three places I have never been to, but have always wanted to visit - Newark, Vancouver and Alaska.

The family is excited for our visit to Newark. We've heard good things - haven't booked anything because I originally thought we'd drive to Newark and only spent three or four minutes sightseeing before we dashed into the airport. Now, our flight is at 6 am, so we're going to have to come in the night before. Looking for a good hotel with parking as close to the airport as humanly possible. Priorities are - 1) Clean, 2) Clean, 3) Clean, 4) Convenient, 5) Clean, 5) Clean (tie). It really has to be clean. If it's not, my wife will try to sleep in the car and I hear the urban camping scene in Newark is dicey.

After Newark, we're going to Vancouver. I know zero about the city. We're going to be staying at Canada Place - our flight gets us into Vancouver at 10:30 am, so say we're at the hotel, situated and ready to head out to see something by 1 pm.

I would like to go to Grouse Mountain and Capilano in one day and Stanley Park and Granville Island on another day. Possible? My guess is that we should save Grouse and Capilano for Sunday and just try to see Stanley and Granville on Saturday? Do something else instead? Skip one of those things? We'll have another full day in Vancouver the week afterwards, so if there's anything else people think is a must-see, we'd be able to hit it on the return trip.

After that, we're going to Skagway, Alaska. We have a good amount of time there - 15 hours. If anyone is familiar with it, we're going to try to get to Upper Dewey Lake from town. That will kill six hours. After that, we have the rest of the day to look around, go to lunch, whatever. If you've ever been there, recommend something.

We're also going to Juneau and Ketchikan - I think we have a little bit of a free time there, but we have some touristy crap booked first.

Finally, if you ever wanted to get away with some nonsense here, next week is your moment. Go crazy. I might deputize someone to take my usual place in the usual arguments, but I'll have to see if whaler or superjohn are free first.

Fish, I actually had a mock trial at the Renaissance Newark Airport yesterday and that's where we're planning to stay during what we expect to be a 5-week trial or so, starting in September. I didn't see the rooms, but judging from the lobby, first floor bar and restaurant, bathrooms, conference rooms, staff and clientele, I think it's a good choice. It's right across from the airport. It's a Marriott.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We did the Newark hotel thing before an early morning flight several years ago. Can't remember which hotel, but I know I was also was set on getting one as close and as clean as possible. The one we stayed at was pretty new so it passed the clean test, and it was pretty close. But thing I remember most is that it was pretty noisy, which I hadn't considered when booking but wished I had.

Drove to Alaska and back almost 25 years ago and stopped for a day and overnight in Vancouver before spending a couple nights on Vancouver Island, which we preferred to Vancouver. Victoria and the Royal BC Museum were worth it alone. Beautiful place and I would highly recommend if it's an option. As for Vancouver, I remember UBC, which we visited to use their showers, was a beautiful campus (with an open pool) and Wreck Beach was where my then girlfriend, now wife, almost got on a plane to head home. It's a nude beach on a gorgeous strip of land that, because of its inhabitants and the elements it draws, looks like a cross between Apocalypse Now and Woodstock or a Grateful Dead concert parking lot. Apparently two girls had disappeared there the week before and our visit there was very short but very memorable...

We spent two-plus weeks in Alaska but didn't go to any of the places you mentioned. We did Fairbanks, Denali, Kennecott/McCarthy and Valdez, among others.

Reaction Score
Check bedbugregistry.com for your Newark lodging needs.

And don't worry about this place while you're gone. I got this.

And with me assisting Deep in cleaning this board up you should feel confident all will be well while you're gone. Stay until the hoop season begins as a matter of fact.

Reaction Score
Alaska? Go Fishing

Alaska deep water is not like long island or anything on the east coast. It is a insane. My family still talk about it being the worse 10 hours of their life. (Not mine probably 2nd, I jumped into the Nile and had the worse 30hours humanly possible)

Reaction Score
Alaska deep water is not like long island or anything on the east coast. It is a insane. My family still talk about it being the worse 10 hours of their life. (Not mine probably 2nd, I jumped into the Nile and had the worse 30hours humanly possible)
Whay happened in the nile? 30 hours?

Reaction Score
"Arrived late in the evening after being bumped off a flight. Staff was courteous and room was ready. It took a while to get things we requested – and they came in waves (crib, room service, extra towels, etc.) but all in all, my initial experience was relatively positive. My 1 year old slept fitfully and cried through out the night until I pulled her out of the port-a-crib and brought her into bed with me. I chalked it up to the fact we were in a strange place. We had a 5:30 AM flight so we dressed in the dark (really the light from the bathroom) and caught our flight home. When undressing my child for a bath upon return that day, I saw why my child had been crying – she had a cluster of over 12 bug bites on her back and shoulder. My pediatrician confirmed that indeed she had been bitten by bed bugs. I called the hotel and asked to speak to a manager so that I could let them know that the likely culprit was the port-a-crib and that they would want to check their collection of cribs. I was not angry at all – just concerned that other children may be subjected to this. However, I was placed on hold for 18 minutes by a “less than energetic” front desk person looking for a manager. She returned to say “Yah, the manager says I should find someone to take a report (yawn). He doesn’t have the time so let me see if I can find anyone” Really? No apology or at least an expression of appreciation that I was taking the time to let them know of an issue with their property that could become a big issue. It was almost as if I was inconveniencing them. I was put on hold for another 10 minutes at which point – disgusted – I hung up."

Bed Bugs - Review of Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott, Newark, NJ - TripAdvisor

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Fishy - I know your Newark comments are in jest, but if you are getting food in the area, I recommend Spanish Tavern in the Iron Bound section. My parents took me there for my birthday before a concert at Prudential Center.

Really good food, really good portions and in a safe neighborhood in Newark.

www.yelp.com/biz/spanish-tavern-newark

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I should add that, since that Newark hotel experience, I have used a car service to/from the airport instead for every cross-country or international flight since. I use Hys but I don't know if they service Westchester; I am sure there are at least a few options for car service in your area though, and I highly recommend it instead of the overnight in the hotel. When you factor in all the costs of driving and parking, I'm guessing that the car service will be less than $100 difference, and more than worth it.

Yes, you will be getting in the car at an ungodly hour to get to Newark for a 6:00 a.m. flight, but when you factor in the hassle of getting the family's bags in and out of the hotel and getting on the hotel shuttle to the airport, you're really not saving that much time. And you will be stressed. The car service eliminates all of that once you are in the car. Have everything by the door at your house when you go to bed the night before and simply rouse the wife and kids from their beds in the wee hours; next thing you know you are cruising comfortably to the airport, likely falling asleep again on the ride. The driver will load and unload all the bags and you can do curbside check-in.

And as good as it is for avoiding stress and headaches on the way out, I have found it to be twice as valuable when I return. The last thing I want to do after flying 5-6 hours is deal with the hassle of luggage and shuttles before driving my family home while I'm still half-asleep. Having someone meet you at the gate with a sign with your name is a very welcome sight when you are exhausted from the trip, especially when he grabs the luggage and drives you home while you and the family continue to nod in and out of sleep.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom