OT: Newark, Vancouver, Skagway | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Newark, Vancouver, Skagway

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sound choice. I wouldn't have taken my advice without finding out on my own, either.

After you put your hand on the burner and confirm that it is hot, I would be curious what the price difference is between that and a car service. Because I'm betting that's what you'll be asking next time.

We almost always use a car service if we go to any airport where parking is any kind of issue.

This trip is an exception and I have a really odd excuse for it.

Our return trip gets back at 2:00 am in the morning - it'll just be a long, long day and my definition of hell on earth is having to make small talk with a driver for 90 minutes on the way home. It is the single hardest thing about taking a car service.

If I knew I could sit in silence, I would take a car, but it never, ever happens.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Now that you've got your answer, I can say that I took my niece & her husband visiting from Vancouver overnight for pizza.

They got an Italian Bomb at Modern on Sunday night, and a white clam and a fresh tomato w/bacon at Pepe's on Monday afternoon. They loved both.

Anything I'd say about Newark or Alaska would be less valuable. Have a great trip.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I once came back to my car in Newark and found my windshield with a bullet hole in it. I dug the slug out of the driver's seat. It was about where my heart would have been if I had been sitting in the drivers seat at the time. I was parked at the train station just outside the ironbound section. But inside, it's safe.

Yeah totally, bullets stop right at the border of the ironbound section so you're all good​

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We almost always use a car service if we go to any airport where parking is any kind of issue.

This trip is an exception and I have a really odd excuse for it.

Our return trip gets back at 2:00 am in the morning - it'll just be a long, long day and my definition of hell on earth is having to make small talk with a driver for 90 minutes on the way home. It is the single hardest thing about taking a car service.

If I knew I could sit in silence, I would take a car, but it never, ever happens.
Funny. That's rarely been an issue with Hys; most of the drivers keep to themselves, but one time under similar circumstances I followed my family's lead and put in headphones and feigned sleep until I was actually sleeping.

I used to be a decent late night/early morning driver, but I no longer trust myself to drive my family at those hours when I am taxed. I really hate myself when I'm getting the head nods for the last 20 minutes of the trip.

Reaction Score
Let me second this. You can get a pretty memorable meal in the ironbound section of Newark. Safe enough to walk around as well. (Full disclosure: I once came back to my car in Newark and found my windshield with a bullet hole in it. I dug the slug out of the driver's seat. It was about where my heart would have been if I had been sitting in the drivers seat at the time. I was parked at the train station just outside the ironbound section. But inside, it's safe.)

Spain is good, Iberia is good but my personal favorite is Fornos. I am pretty sure that they'll pick you up at the airport so it's pretty easy.

I personally like the veal Siciliano, but the paella is pretty popular as well. I think that you'll be happy with whatever you get. The Sangria is worth considering as well.

348s.jpg

And I'll third it - Ironbound section is great as is Spanish Tavern.

I saw a Paterson mention - Marcal toliet paper - a friend grew up in Paterson and she tells stories of used syringes being everywhere as she played as a kid.

Granville Market in Vancouver is fantastic - for some reason I have the idea that you're a hiker hit the Grouse Grind up Grouse Mountain great views, rock climbing in Squamish is excellent.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a discussion about the best pizza places in Skagway.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a discussion about the best pizza places in Skagway.
Now that you mention it, the only pizza I had in Alaska was at Lynx Creek Pizza outside Denali, after spending a week backcountry camping and hiking in the park.

I remember that it was tremendous, but I feel that the circumstances *might* have had something to do with it. I probably would have sold my soul for a Greek Chicago deep dish pizza from Geno's new Rhode Island franchise at that point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let me second this. You can get a pretty memorable meal in the ironbound section of Newark. Safe enough to walk around as well. (Full disclosure: I once came back to my car in Newark and found my windshield with a bullet hole in it. I dug the slug out of the driver's seat. It was about where my heart would have been if I had been sitting in the drivers seat at the time. I was parked at the train station just outside the ironbound section. But inside, it's safe.)

Spain is good, Iberia is good but my personal favorite is Fornos. I am pretty sure that they'll pick you up at the airport so it's pretty easy.

I personally like the veal Siciliano, but the paella is pretty popular as well. I think that you'll be happy with whatever you get. The Sangria is worth considering as well.

348s.jpg
That's one hell of a paella.

Reaction Score

My cousin is a Paella man and that dude and his stores - The Spanish Table - are legendary in the San Francisco area.

I tell my family "what's the big deal it's just a Spanish casserole" just to piss everyone off and it works - every. single. time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Only becuase of the lobster they stuck in it. I doubt it was any better than the one I had last weekend at Costa del Sol.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you go all the way to Alaska and order pizza, you are doing it wrong.

And that's coming from a pizza hound.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you go all the way to Alaska and order pizza, you are doing it wrong.

And that's coming from a pizza hound.
If you spend a week backcountry camping and hiking in Denali and eating GORP and dried food, you will gladly order and eat whatever warm meal they are serving at the first establishment where you can get one.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
By the way, I'm looking forward to hearing the description of the person driving the 2:00 a.m. shuttle from the airport back to the hotel when you return.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was just in Vancouver in May for business and didn't have a ton of recreational time but I did do Capilano. My expectations weren't very high and I was pleasantly surprised. Its reasonably priced and I thought it was very well done and the free bus ride from downtown was a bonus. Lots of fabulous views: cliff walk, bridge of death and elevated walkways through the trees. Its certainly going to take over an hour to get through everything here and you could probably make a half-day out of it. I didn't do Grouse Mtn but I'd guess that if you drive yourself to Capilano and are already on that side of the bridge you can do both in the same day.

My wife did Granville Island while I was working. She's not a big shopper and said it was neat and everything but didn't spend a ton of time there.

There's a ton of good Asian dining in the city, most of it quite casual. If you decide to go for an upscale meal I had a couple of real good ones. The views (and food) at Five Sails were great and the seafood at Blue Water Cafe was excellent.

Helpful. Thank you very much - made reservations at Blue Water for the night we return from the cruise. The seafood on ice menu sealed the deal.

Must be popular - wasn't easy to get a table.

Reaction Score
It sounds too late but I would stay over in Hoboken if you have a few hours the day prior. Love that place. Great places to walk and eat with great views of NYC. Young crowd but relaxed.

Vancouver is a top 5 city. Stanley Park could arguably be a top 3 city park in the world. There are not many like it. Great views, paths, gardens, beaches, etc. all next to the downtown area. I love to walk the the entire circumference which is just over 10k. Grouse Mtn is a great workout for late afternoon. Climb the Grouse Grind around 5:00 pm, have a few beers up top, enjoy the views of the city and take the gondola down. You're no triathlete if you can't do the grind in under 45 min. Eat seafood anywhere there. If you have a chance to hike The Chief in Squamish or Lake Girabaldi you will cherish it for life along with visiting Tofino.

Wish I could make suggestions with Alaska but cannot.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
In Ketchikan make sure to either take a boat or seaplane to see the Misty Fjords.
Ironically, also the name of a stripper working at Brandi's in Vancouver. Perfect vacation stop segue.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ironically, also the name of a stripper working at Brandi's in Vancouver. Perfect vacation stop segue.
Sounds like someone is pining for the fjords.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
By the way, I'm looking forward to hearing the description of the person driving the 2:00 a.m. shuttle from the airport back to the hotel when you return.

Had to call an audible.

Next door neighbor predicted that my wife would sleep in the car before the Newark Ramada, so we opted for the Courtyard which was just remodeled.

It was fine. $229, which included 14 nights parking and airport shuttle.

But we got a chance to take their 3 am shuttle. The driver was sober and hardly terrifying.

Instead of just taking us to the Air Train, he took us to the terminal. Saved us 15 minutes which got us through TSA's lunacy before the masses.

Next up - a review of Newark airport, gate C80. How does it stack up to C79 and C81? Find out next!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Alaska deep water is not like long island or anything on the east coast. It is a insane. My family still talk about it being the worse 10 hours of their life. (Not mine probably 2nd, I jumped into the Nile and had the worse 30hours humanly possible)

Why would deep water be any worse than east coast water?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Had to call an audible.

Next door neighbor predicted that my wife would sleep in the car before the Newark Ramada, so we opted for the Courtyard which was just remodeled.

It was fine. $229, which included 14 nights parking and airport shuttle.

But we got a chance to take their 3 am shuttle. The driver was sober and hardly terrifying.

Instead of just taking us to the Air Train, he took us to the terminal. Saved us 15 minutes which got us through TSA's lunacy before the masses.

Next up - a review of Newark airport, gate C80. How does it stack up to C79 and C81? Find out next!
How was the paella?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How was the paella?

Our vacation in Newark flew by.

After arriving at 10 pm, we considered our recreational options and chose sleeping. After waking up at 2:55 am, we were whisked to the airport by a cheerful Russian person. Sum total of the conversation - "You want I skip train and take to airport?" Yes, Vlad. Yes.

After noticing several dozen TSA workers standing around doing nothing, I made a note to like JSM's next post on the working habits of public employees. But the ones that were working completed their review of our travel documents and decided that our footwear posed no danger to the airliner and we were allowed to mosey to gate C80.

Good gate to have. Made gate C90 look like something you'd set aside for livestock or other people's children.

There was no paella on offer. There were about 30 bars open, but we had to wait until 5 to have breakfast.

Opted for a plain cinnamon raisin bagel and some grapes. The bagel was burned but I actually like it that way, so thumbs up. The grapes were delightful and almost worth the $5.97 we paid for them. The wife and daughter each had a muffin and pineapple. I didn't ask for their thoughts.

Boarding was uneventful.

We're flying United for the first time. I have sized up the flight attendants and if they want to brawl as is their wont, they will not soon forget the thrashing I'll mete out. There are three of them on the plane and all of them would fit in an overhead bin, so I have my plan of attack if things start to go sideways here.

The plane is an AirBus A320. It is far too small to fly across a continent, but it is because it's United and the big planes mean passengers have more open field to run when trying to evade capture. The captain's name is Mark and the First Officer's name is who cares, he's not the captain.

The snack is something called a "stroopwafel". It looks like a flat waffle with sugar on it. I have not tried it - I'm saving mine for bartering when/if society in the cabin breaks down. I've collected the stroopwafels from my wife and daughter. I believe three will make a fine trade and allow us to take ownership of the family behind us - I've always wanted litter-bearers.

Cultural note: Flight 1778 is a diverse bunch. There are many Japanese and Indians on the flight.

The Japanese all fell asleep the second they sat down. They are all asleep. It is a remarkable and useful talent.

The Indians are the exact opposite. They are all over the plane. Some of them will hit their Fitbit numbers before we land.

The Indian gentleman in front of me reclined his seat and then bounced in and out of it for the first two hours of the flight. I don't mind the reclining, but the bouncing is compressing my kneecaps. He has gone to sit elsewhere, so I have returned his seat to the upright position. If he comes back, we will talk.

I am bored. I have hit the point where my daughter realizes that I am not actually listening and she has taken that as a challenge to double her efforts to engage me in conversation. I am realizing why there are 30 bars near C80.

Reaction Score
Our vacation in Newark flew by.

After arriving at 10 pm, we considered our recreational options and chose sleeping. After waking up at 2:55 am, we were whisked to the airport by a cheerful Russian person. Sum total of the conversation - "You want I skip train and take to airport?" Yes, Vlad. Yes.

After noticing several dozen TSA workers standing around doing nothing, I made a note to like JSM's next post on the working habits of public employees. But the ones that were working completed their review of our travel documents and decided that our footwear posed no danger to the airliner and we were allowed to mosey to gate C80.

Good gate to have. Made gate C90 look like something you'd set aside for livestock or other people's children.

There was no paella on offer. There were about 30 bars open, but we had to wait until 5 to have breakfast.

Opted for a plain cinnamon raisin bagel and some grapes. The bagel was burned but I actually like it that way, so thumbs up. The grapes were delightful and almost worth the $5.97 we paid for them. The wife and daughter each had a muffin and pineapple. I didn't ask for their thoughts.

Boarding was uneventful.

We're flying United for the first time. I have sized up the flight attendants and if they want to brawl as is their wont, they will not soon forget the thrashing I'll mete out. There are three of them on the plane and all of them would fit in an overhead bin, so I have my plan of attack if things start to go sideways here.

The plane is an AirBus A320. It is far too small to fly across a continent, but it is because it's United and the big planes mean passengers have more open field to run when trying to evade capture. The captain's name is Mark and the First Officer's name is who cares, he's not the captain.

The snack is something called a "stroopwafel". It looks like a flat waffle with sugar on it. I have not tried it - I'm saving mine for bartering when/if society in the cabin breaks down. I've collected the stroopwafels from my wife and daughter. I believe three will make a fine trade and allow us to take ownership of the family behind us - I've always wanted litter-bearers.

Cultural note: Flight 1778 is a diverse bunch. There are many Japanese and Indians on the flight.

The Japanese all fell asleep the second they sat down. They are all asleep. It is a remarkable and useful talent.

The Indians are the exact opposite. They are all over the plane. Some of them will hit their Fitbit numbers before we land.

The Indian gentleman in front of me reclined his seat and then bounced in and out of it for the first two hours of the flight. I don't mind the reclining, but the bouncing is compressing my kneecaps. He has gone to sit elsewhere, so I have returned his seat to the upright position. If he comes back, we will talk.

I am bored. I have hit the point where my daughter realizes that I am not actually listening and she has taken that as a challenge to double her efforts to engage me in conversation. I am realizing why there are 30 bars near C80.

Spot on on the Japanese falling asleep instantly. Last flight I took to Italy, the Japanese woman next to me put on elbow length gloves, hospital socks, an eye mask, and put her hoodie on backwards and put the hood over her face. She was asleep before we took off and didn't wake up until we landed. It was honestly one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom