OT: Newark, Vancouver, Skagway | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Newark, Vancouver, Skagway

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
For the first time in the history of this website, there was actually good advice dispensed.

Newark was fine - we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott because they had a 14-day parking deal. The shuttle service was fine; we finagled an earlier flight home, so I did not get to see what kind of driver they use at 3 am. The 8 pm shuttle driver was not a murderer or at least he was not murdering when we saw him.

Vancouver is an awesome city. They have a waterfront and snow-covered peaks in close proximity - that is an unbeatable combination.

Not a cheap city - we stayed at the Pan Pacific before the cruise and the Fairmont afterwards. The service at both is terrific, but they're expensive. I think the Pan Pacific will bury a body for you if you're staying at the club level.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of tragic accidents outside of our hotel on both days we were there before the cruise which disrupted the shuttle buses to Capilano and Grouse, so we were unable to do both the same day. It seemed disrespectful to push past the accidents just to find another tourist bus stop, so we waited and left later in the day.

Capilano was great. Grouse Mountain was twice as great. To the guy above who threw out 45-minutes as the time to aim for going up the Grouse Grind, we did it in about 54 minutes...but my daughter is just 13. She had to stop and rest a few times, but she did well. I've never seen as many shattered human beings scattered around a hiking trail as I did going up Grouse.

At someone else's suggestion, we rented bikes and rode around Stanley as well. I'd move to Vancouver just to live closer to that park.

As for restaurants...we've come to the realization that we really just do not care that much about food. We ate for convenience - we went to the Steamworks Brewery twice and a place called Rogue once. Rogue sold a beer called Boneyard. I tried it - it was bad. (Big plus for Canada - when the bill comes, they show up with a credit card reader and handle the transaction right there. No watching your card disappear for ten minutes. Canada is way ahead on the tap and pay curve.)

The cruise to Alaska was as good as advertised. The weather was what I gathered typical for Alaska - it rained from the second we got on the ship to the second we got off. Temp was consistently 50-54.

We tried to take a helicopter to a glacier in Alaska in Juneau, but that sucker got rained out. We took a bus to Mendenhall instead and tried to find a bear, but struck out there, too. I did manage to take the family on a hike from Mendenhall down a trail that flooded behind us. Wife was thrilled to have to take her shoes off and walk through glacial streams to get back to the trailhead. Refreshing, I said.

We skipped the train in Skagway and hiked up to Upper Dewey Lake instead. It's about a three mile hike up to the lake, but there's 3,100' of elevation to be gained and it's generally pouring rain. But it's worth it - there wasn't another soul on the trail and there's a postcard view every time you look up. The lake is something like you will see once in a lifetime. It's beautiful.

We took a Deadliest Catch crab fishing boat trip in Ketchikan. It was retired from crab fishing and refitted for tourism. They give a four-hour tour, demonstrate how to fish for various crab and fish species, spot some whales, eagles, etc. Very touristy, but fun. (For Deadliest Catch fans, our cruise ship tied up next to the Time Bandit; they're fishing for salmon right now.)

A note on societal differences - we generally take Disney cruise ships. The service is great and we prefer it to the cottontops on some other cruise lines and the drunks on some others.

On the Caribbean cruises, there are a lot of Germans, southerners and Brazilians. LSU and UF garb everywhere. On the Alaska cruise, there were a lot of midwesterners, New Englanders and Asians. Michigan, Oregon and UConn were the most-seen college garb. Saw at least six-eight people wearing UConn stuff - the block C carry-on luggage that I have brought three UConn fans up to me in the terminal before we even got on the ship.

Another note: there is nothing in this world that you love more than young Japanese women love Disney characters. Nothing. Not your wife, not your kids, nothing. It was fun to watch them lost their marbles every time a person in a mouse costume was in their presence.

On Alaska - I'd go back again in a heartbeat. My daughter loved it. Eventually, we just ignored the rain and spent most of our time out on deck anyway. We got used to the rain when we were in port as well. My wife liked it, but she's done it and has no desire to go again. Typically, she likes to spend some time outside reading on deck, but that's not happening in the rain and cold, so she felt a little confined inside by the end of the trip. So...heading back to the Caribbean next year.

But we still need to walk on a glacier, so Iceland looks like a long weekend trip next spring.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
(Big plus for Canada - when the bill comes, they show up with a credit card reader and handle the transaction right there. No watching your card disappear for ten minutes. Canada is way ahead on the tap and pay curve.)

The entire world does this. I'm not sure why US restaurants don't.

Reaction Score
We did the Alaska cruise on Carnival three years ago. Best cruise we have ever been on and we have done all of the Caribbean stops. It only rained 1 or 2 days. Did zip lining, river rafting and other things. Saw tons of eagles, whales, sea lions. We will do the northern Alaskan cruise one of these days.

Reaction Score
Just seeing this thread.

Newark- I can vouch for the Ironbound restaurants. New Jersey Drive was filmed in Newark and it was at one time the car theft capital. A long time ago my friend Anthony was at a gas station in Newark when a couple of kids tried to carjack him. He was a wrestler and pretty tough, he beat up one of the kids with a roll of quarters in his fist. Anthony had to go to court because the carjacker pressed charges. Newark has always been rough but if you've spent any real time in the area you would know Irvington is rougher. Irvington is flat out scary, at least that's how I remember it.

Vancouver- Beautiful city and the Pan Pacific is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. Hung out with some Canadians last weekend and they reinforced to me that Canadians are the friendliest/coolest people on earth.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Vancouver- Beautiful city and the Pan Pacific is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. Hung out with some Canadians last weekend and they reinforced to me that Canadians are the friendliest/coolest people on earth.

The Pan Pacific was very nice - we stayed at the Fairmont on the return trip and I recommend that as well. The Fairmont has check-in nailed - they send you an email in the morning asking when you want to arrive. Press the button you want and you are checked in. Once you get there, a concierge desk hands you an envelope with your name on it. Keys and such are inside. That is the only time you need to interact with anyone at the hotel.

The Pan Pacific has a private check-in for club levels, but it was a little clunky the day we were there. It's no faster than regular check-in, but you get to wait in a much nicer area.

Also...if you're traveling alone or if you're a couple and you know you need just one bed, book a room with a good cancellation policy wherever you're going as back up and then haunt Hotels Tonight in the last days before you visit. They cannot guarantee a room type which was a deal breaker for me traveling with the family, but if you knew you needed just one bed, you could have rented a room at the PP for about $650 less than I paid for that weekend.

Every luxe hotel in Vancouver - Fairmonts, Trump, Pan Pacific - had rooms on their service on the day we arrived and they were going for hundreds less a night than they were online.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The Pan Pacific was very nice - we stayed at the Fairmont on the return trip and I recommend that as well. The Fairmont has check-in nailed - they send you an email in the morning asking when you want to arrive. Press the button you want and you are checked in. Once you get there, a concierge desk hands you an envelope with your name on it. Keys and such are inside. That is the only time you need to interact with anyone at the hotel.

The Pan Pacific has a private check-in for club levels, but it was a little clunky the day we were there. It's no faster than regular check-in, but you get to wait in a much nicer area.

Also...if you're traveling alone or if you're a couple and you know you need just one bed, book a room with a good cancellation policy wherever you're going as back up and then haunt Hotels Tonight in the last days before you visit. They cannot guarantee a room type which was a deal breaker for me traveling with the family, but if you knew you needed just one bed, you could have rented a room at the PP for about $650 less than I paid for that weekend.

Every luxe hotel in Vancouver - Fairmonts, Trump, Pan Pacific - had rooms on their service on the day we arrived and they were going for hundreds less a night than they were online.

I have a hard time understanding, "hundreds less a night" when the most I've ever spent for a room was ~ $80.

I guess it's time to once again look into using the couple hundred thousand reward points I have from Chase.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have a hard time understanding, "hundreds less a night" when the most I've ever spent for a room was ~ $80.

I guess it's time to once again look into using the couple hundred thousand reward points I have from Chase.
You're single.

Conversations you don't want to have to with your wife:
seedy-motel.jpg

"But, honey, it was less that $80 bucks a night."

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Hotel tonight has been the secret weapon to my life the last couple years. Fantastic app. Don't use it until day of stay though. That's when you hit the jackpots. Works perfectly for me on mid level driving gigs where I waffle on doing 3 hours home at 3 am or a room. I decide that day and hotel tonight has saved me bundles of cash on some really really sweet places.
Did a 900 dollar weekend stay in Chicago last month for about 250.

Great app. So much better than the websites. Spot on about having to accept singles though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hotel tonight has been the secret weapon to my life the last couple years. Fantastic app. Don't use it until day of stay though...

I would actually say to start a few days out.

Stuff comes and goes and you absolutely know where you want to stay, you could have nailed down a deal three days out in some cases.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That one looks more like a by the hour, bring your own sheets, hotel.

You're single.

Conversations you don't want to have to with your wife:
seedy-motel.jpg

"But, honey, it was less that $80 bucks a night."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That one looks more like a by the hour, bring your own sheets, hotel.
I yield to your expertise. ;)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I would actually say to start a few days out.

Stuff comes and goes and you absolutely know where you want to stay, you could have nailed down a deal three days out in some cases.

Yes you can do that but you pay for that convenience in my experience. Im on that app fairly frequently and I seldom if ever see the same price 3 days out. Hell , even 1 day out, than I do the day of.

I did something that made my wife pull her hair out last month in Chicago, but ended up being a small change hero. Was looking for a Fri/sat stay. Found a killer deal on a 400 plus a night room the day of ( 125 bucks) . In the exact part of city we wanted to be in. We wanted 2 nights there but when I tried to add the 2nd day on the app my price averaged about 200 night. The next day on the app the day before was like double the price of the day of ( but still substantial savings over their website and when I called to check. Always call to check!) So I said screw it and only booked the first night. I was in a favorable position because worst case scenario was that we move to one of the other 100 nice hotels in that area ( river north/magnificent Mile) and we were traveling light.
Wife wasn't happy because she doesn't like moving around in the am and was bemoaning the idea of another check in check out. But my plan was to wake up in the morning and check the app back for the hotel we were already at.
I did just that and sure enough it had come down to only 4 dollars more than I paid the previous night. A call to the front desk to ask nicely that I would prefer to keep the same room after I bought on the app again and I felt smart for the first time since I walked into an Arbys. :)

Reaction Score
@Fishy, sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm headed to Vancouver with my wife for a few days this weekend. Flying into Seattle (from Newark!) and driving up to Vancouver. Staying 3 nights and then 1 night back in Seattle. We booked a few restaurants and plan on the whole bike thing in the park(s). Any can't miss things we should do? Any "best things ever" that actually suck and we should stay away from? Thanks in advance!

I think I'm looking most forward to the weather. A man of my carriage doesn't do well in the 90+ and humid weather we have coming our way. Looks like Vancouver is perfect spring weather (permanently).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
@Fishy, sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm headed to Vancouver with my wife for a few days this weekend. Flying into Seattle (from Newark!) and driving up to Vancouver. Staying 3 nights and then 1 night back in Seattle. We booked a few restaurants and plan on the whole bike thing in the park(s). Any can't miss things we should do? Any "best things ever" that actually suck and we should stay away from? Thanks in advance!

I think I'm looking most forward to the weather. A man of my carriage doesn't do well in the 90+ and humid weather we have coming our way. Looks like Vancouver is perfect spring weather (permanently).

Biking in Stanley Park is a must - there are bike rentals everywhere.

I would highly recommend the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park. It gets fairly crowded there, but it’s open until 8, so heading there later in the day helps.

Grouse Mountain was fun. You can either take the tram up to the top or you can hike the “Grouse Grind”. The hike is two miles...straight up. No nuance to that hike - it’s a two-mile stair case. My wife, who’s in very good shape, had angry words for me for making her hike up that mountain, so if you don’t enjoy some suffering, definitely take the tram. Once to the top, there’s a logging show, animal displays, a bear habitat with a few rescued bears, etc. There’s also another chair lift with amazing views of the bay and the entire Vancouver area.

We didn’t get the chance to visit these two, but people who advised us on traveling to Vancouver were high on Granville Island and Queen Elizabeth Park.

Enjoy yourself - Vancouver is awesome. I’d go back in a heartbeat.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I'd recommend getting out to Vancouver Island for one of those nights if possible. The Royal BC Museum in Victoria is awesome, and Victoria itself and its environs can easily occupy you for a day. We had a car and were camping so we also drove out to Port Renfrow to check out the Red Creek Fir, the world's largest Douglas Fir tree. Actually, we only camped the first night; a black bear came less than 10' from our car just as we were getting in it to drive away after seeing the Fir, and my then-girlfriend, now-wife refused to camp that night so we slept in the car on a Victoria backstreet that night.

Reaction Score
I highly recommend taking a seaplane tour around Vancouver. I believe we took one from Vancouver-Whistler as well. Glacier tours in Alaska were incredible. We went out of Seward.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Before this thread takes off @Chuck was asking Fishy, folks.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sorry, I forgot to log in properly; I also post as Fishy.
8893, I have golfed with Fishy. I know Fishy. Fishy is a friend of mine. 8893, you're no Fishy."

Reaction Score
Before this thread takes off @Chuck was asking Fishy, folks.
That's true. Thanks for quieting the noise. This is all part of our new entrepreneurial endeavor, "Gone Fishing: Tracking the Life and Times of the Boneyard's Throat Puncher." It's unauthorized, but so are all of those Start Tours out in Hollywood. Look for us in a town near you (if Fishy's been there). We're currently in negotiations for a fleet of Duck Boats.

I guess I'll take other recommendations though... since we'll be in Vancouver anyway.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
How timely this thread pops up.
Would of ignored it last year.

I leave solo for Seattle on July 19th to meet up with my friends to catch 3 nights of Phish at The Gorge that weekend.
Then I drive back to SEA that Monday to meet my wife and kids (son 12 / daughter 8)) who are flying in and head to the Marriott Waterfront for the night.
Our 7 Day cruise to Seattle leaves on Tuesday with a day at sea Wednesday. Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria.
Carnival Legend is the ship.
So far I have a glacier helicopter tour booked for us in Skagway.
Like @Fishy its part of my destiny to stand on a glacier. Sorry you couldn't take yours.
Looking at gold panning/salmon bake for Juneau maybe.
And I just might have to do a sea plane tour too at one of the ports.

A lot of the excursions look hokey, touristy and very expensive so I'm trying to choose my battle wisely.
Maybe one of those train ones? We'll see.
Kind of looking forward to spending some time in the towns shopping and exploring.

We get back that following Tuesday and are spending 3 nights at a friend's house on Bainbridge Island.
We'll be taking the ferry back and forth to Seattle each day to catch the touristy stuff there.
And then fly home that Friday.

I've been to Seattle a number of times for business and to the Gorge back in 1997 to see Phish.
We did that Summer Tour, but that's another story...
Really looking forward to going back and showing my wife and kids.
Plus the cruise of course!

Anyhow, that's my story.
Will certainly take any advice for those ports and report back after I return.
Gonna be an epic 2 weeks in the PNW for me.
3 separate trips in 1!

Reaction Score
How timely this thread pops up.
Would of ignored it last year.

I leave solo for Seattle on July 19th to meet up with my friends to catch 3 nights of Phish at The Gorge that weekend.
Then I drive back to SEA that Monday to meet my wife and kids (son 12 / daughter 8)) who are flying in and head to the Marriot Waterfront for the night.
Our 7 Day cruise to Seattle leaves on Tuesday with a day at sea Wednesday. Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria.
Carnival Legend is the ship.
So far I have a glacier helicopter tour booked for us in Skagway.
Like @Fishy its part of my destiny to stand on a glacier. Sorry you couldn't take yours.
Looking at gold panning/salmon bake for Juneau maybe.
And I just might have to do a sea plane tour too at one of the ports.

A lot of the excursions look hokey, touristy and very expensive so I'm trying to choose my battle wisely.
Maybe one of those train ones? We'll see.
Kind of looking forward to spending some time in the towns shopping and exploring.

We get back that following Tuesday and are spending 3 nights at a friend's house on Bainbridge Island.
We'll be taking the ferry back and forth to Seattle each day to catch the touristy stuff there.
And then fly home that Friday.

I've been to Seattle a number of times for business and to the Gorge back in 1997 to see Phish.
We did that Summer Tour, but that's another story...
Really looking forward to going back and showing my wife and kids.
Plus the cruise of course!

Anyhow, that's my story.
Will certainly take any advice for those ports and report back after I return.
Gonna be an epic 2 weeks in the PNW for me.
3 separate trips in 1!

It's been 13 years since my wife and I took an Alaska cruise with two other couples. We're not big on cruises, so a lot may have changed. We loved it, and I think it'll be great for kids . We're trying to budget it with ours in the future. One of the problems with the cruise is that you get a decent amount of older couples so some of the excursions are a bit soft. We sought out things that were a bit more adventurous (including the chopper on a glacier). The best trip we took was booking a small fishing excursion in lieu of a whale watch or big group fishing boat. It was just me and my two friends and one other guy. We caught halibut and salmon, had a bald eagle grab some bait from the boat, saw puffins, seals, and whales closer than the whale watching boat the wives took. It was fantastic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom