NBA Playoffs | Page 37 | The Boneyard

NBA Playoffs

Reaction Score

Ok but what you do on the follow through counts as part of the block and the forearm/elbow is not part of the ball. And the Semi no call is whacked. Having said that I am sure easily missed by the refs live. But you knew the NBA wasn’t going to allow this one to be easy for the Cs, yet the Cavs didn’t need assistance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I only watched about 2 minutes of the game and Lebron had a play where he fouled the hell out of Ojeleye at the rim and the announcers were talking about what an amazing block it was. They show the replay and it's Lebron clobbering the guy with both arms and the announcers say nothing.

NBA playoffs are a problem, way too many blowouts. It seems you have 50 point swings between home and away all the time.

It's possible if not likely that someone disproves this theory, but I can't imagine the increased emphasis on the three point line has helped this trend. When both teams are chucking up 30-40 threes in a game, it becomes harder to hit the sweet spot in terms of generating competitive games. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that more possessions equals larger margins. College basketball has been rightfully criticized for slow and ugly play, but those rockfights do tend to lead to a higher percentage of close games. I would imagine if we went back to the Billups era Pistons or even the KG era Celtics, we would find less variance from game to game. Go back to the turn of the century and it's basically a different sport - I watched the end of an old Celtics/Lakers game from 2002 the other day (I'm too lazy to link it, but readily available on youtube) and Kenny Anderson was routinely spotting up from like a foot inside the arch.

The other part of the problem is the exposure that is unique to the game of basketball. It's a sport predicated on the fine-tuning of mechanics, the generation of adrenaline, and the almost maniacal need for focus/concentration. The game often requires you to assume a yoga-like state and then turn around seconds later with a gladiator intensity. The body rhythms of basketball are more vulnerable to the influence of the crowd, especially seeing that they aren't as insulated from the fans as they are in other sports and wear hardly any gear. For a while there in the '08 playoffs, home teams were winning at an astonishing rate (Hawks-Celtics took that to an extreme I've never seen) and I'm sure you can go through history and find periods where this was equally true. I don't know if there is anything to the idea that role players are better at home, but I wouldn't doubt it based on what I've seen this postseason. George Hill can wear a cape one game and then the next he'll be a punchline on twitter.

One idea I've thrown out there - and most will probably find it stupid - is to strip the higher seed of their home court advantage if the first six games are all won by the home team. Play the seventh game at a neutral site and make the survivor feel like they've earned something. Nobody wants to watch the garbage we saw in that Boston-Milwaukee series - the home team won every game and five of them were blowouts. Philly-Boston was headed the same way if not for a game 3 choke job, and if I had to bet my money, I'd say the same will happen in Cavs-Celtics. It won't ever happen because of logistics, gate money, etc., but it'd be a fun wrinkle that would add intrigue.

Reaction Score
It's possible if not likely that someone disproves this theory, but I can't imagine the increased emphasis on the three point line has helped this trend. When both teams are chucking up 30-40 threes in a game, it becomes harder to hit the sweet spot in terms of generating competitive games. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that more possessions equals larger margins. College basketball has been rightfully criticized for slow and ugly play, but those rockfights do tend to lead to a higher percentage of close games. I would imagine if we went back to the Billups era Pistons or even the KG era Celtics, we would find less variance from game to game. Go back to the turn of the century and it's basically a different sport - I watched the end of an old Celtics/Lakers game from 2002 the other day (I'm too lazy to link it, but readily available on youtube) and Kenny Anderson was routinely spotting up from like a foot inside the arch.

The other part of the problem is the exposure that is unique to the game of basketball. It's a sport predicated on the fine-tuning of mechanics, the generation of adrenaline, and the almost maniacal need for focus/concentration. The game often requires you to assume a yoga-like state and then turn around seconds later with a gladiator intensity. The body rhythms of basketball are more vulnerable to the influence of the crowd, especially seeing that they aren't as insulated from the fans as they are in other sports and wear hardly any gear. For a while there in the '08 playoffs, home teams were winning at an astonishing rate (Hawks-Celtics took that to an extreme I've never seen) and I'm sure you can go through history and find periods where this was equally true. I don't know if there is anything to the idea that role players are better at home, but I wouldn't doubt it based on what I've seen this postseason. George Hill can wear a cape one game and then the next he'll be a punchline on twitter.

One idea I've thrown out there - and most will probably find it stupid - is to strip the higher seed of their home court advantage if the first six games are all won by the home team. Play the seventh game at a neutral site and make the survivor feel like they've earned something. Nobody wants to watch the garbage we saw in that Boston-Milwaukee series - the home team won every game and five of them were blowouts. Philly-Boston was headed the same way if not for a game 3 choke job, and if I had to bet my money, I'd say the same will happen in Cavs-Celtics. It won't ever happen because of logistics, gate money, etc., but it'd be a fun wrinkle that would add intrigue.
It’s absolutely the surge of 3s. Blowouts have been happening lmao like the NBA playoffs have some exclusive problem

One thing you could do that would reduce 3s (and game scores) is to eliminate the corner 3. Just keep the arc of the 3 point line going until it hits the sideline

Reaction Score

Agreed, it's mostly threes and role players are absolutely different players at home.

It's a major problem the league has to figure out.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m baffled at how bad the officials are for the nfl and NBA in particular.

They are light years behind the nhl and mlb.

Frankly it’s probably by design.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It is. All wrist. Just grazed the ball.

First thing I read this morning (directly from an alerts link). Thought you were talking about something entirely different.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe you guys are saying that’s so “obviously” a foul. It’s a play at the rim where he touches his hand (connected to the ball) and gets most of the ball. No disagreement on the Ojeleye foul, but complaining about the Baynes one when i’m sure most of you complain there are far too many fouls called in today’s game is a bit annoying.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
I can’t believe you guys are saying that’s so “obviously” a foul. It’s a play at the rim where he touches his hand (connected to the ball) and gets most of the ball. No disagreement on the Ojeleye foul, ut complaining about the Baynes one when i’m sure most of you complain there are far too many fouls called in today’s game is a bit annoying.

I’ll trade that for calling a real traveling rule (aka going back the same one step that every other league on the planet has), and calling it consistently.

Reaction Score
I’ll trade that for calling a real traveling rule (aka going back the same one step that every other league on the planet has), and calling it consistently.
I agree, but really, we're just old men b---ing about the way it used to be. "Boy the way Glen Miller played. Songs that made the Hit Parade. Gee our old LaSalle ran great . . . Those were the days."
Fact is, the hand carry rule, the traveling rule, the handchecking rule, and the 3 pointer have all led to a game that is distinctly different than 20 years ago.

Enforce the carry, enforce traveling, made the 3 pointer a 2.5 pointer, and you'd have a better game, IMO, but you wouldn't have a better product for NBA marketing purposes. NBA wants slams, jams, bombs, and pizzazz. Not some guy from the Eastern block backing some dude from Greece down for an awkward baby/half hook. Much easier to sell tickets for the "Splash Brothers" or the "Alley Opp Crew" or whatever, which is what we now have.

And if you thought the NBA was interested in something other than the most salable product, then you need to ramp up your Geritol dose.

the Q

Reaction Score
I agree, but really, we're just old men b---ing about the way it used to be. "Boy the way Glen Miller played. Songs that made the Hit Parade. Gee our old LaSalle ran great . . . Those were the days."
Fact is, the hand carry rule, the traveling rule, the handchecking rule, and the 3 pointer have all led to a game that is distinctly different than 20 years ago.

Enforce the carry, enforce traveling, made the 3 pointer a 2.5 pointer, and you'd have a better game, IMO, but you wouldn't have a better product for NBA marketing purposes. NBA wants slams, jams, bombs, and pizzazz. Not some guy from the Eastern block backing some dude from Greece down for an awkward baby/half hook. Much easier to sell tickets for the "Splash Brothers" or the "Alley Opp Crew" or whatever, which is what we now have.

And if you thought the NBA was interested in something other than the most salable product, then you need to ramp up your Geritol dose.

No doubt. If the NBA was interested in calling the real rules Shaq would’ve never lost.

It would’ve been ugly and Unwatchable but he would’ve broke every ft shooting record imaginable each season.

Reaction Score
The picks were pretty bad, I had my eye on Nance who was setting his feet roughly 4' apart and holding the guy to make sure the cutter was free. First quarter calls were a joke, and after that they were up 20+ so it didn't matter, but that didn't seem to change anything for the refs

Reaction Score

You just live that “old man geritol” crap of an argument and bring it up for no reason whatsoever here? Nicely played.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You just live that “old man geritol” crap of an argument and bring it up for no reason whatsoever here? Nicely played.

I’m with him in part. I’ve long hated the extra step allowed that magically isn’t a travel, and I hate the continuation play. If you want to give the refs discretion to not call a minor floor foul because the shooter isn’t impeded, like happens in soccer, fine. But either the play ends with the foul before a shot or there is no foul. I’d also make the rule very clear that no defender can be called for a foul on contact initiated by the offense. They aren’t offensive fouls either, but they need to stop letting the offensive players cause fouls on themselves by contacting a defender.

Of course, scoring would drop, the NBA wouldn’t want that.

Reaction Score
I’m with him in part. I’ve long hated the extra step allowed that magically isn’t a travel, and I hate the continuation play. If you want to give the refs discretion to not call a minor floor foul because the shooter isn’t impeded, like happens in soccer, fine. But either the play ends with the foul before a shot or there is no foul. I’d also make the rule very clear that no defender can be called for a foul on contact initiated by the offense. They aren’t offensive fouls either, but they need to stop letting the offensive players cause fouls on themselves by contacting a defender.

Of course, scoring would drop, the NBA wouldn’t want that.

They need to stop the offensive player creating the contact foul in college too as the NCAA refs don’t call that right either. Totally agree on that one and also hate any extra steps which they seemingly allow way too often.

the Q

Reaction Score
They need to stop the offensive player creating the contact foul in college too as the NCAA refs don’t call that right either. Totally agree on that one and also hate any extra steps which they seemingly allow way too often.

Allowing it in the nba has allowed it to trickle down into lower levels.

I get idiot coaches yelling at me that a player "only took 2 steps."

I want to T them up every-time for yelling at me while being a moron.

Unless FIBA made a rule change, the NBA is the only league on the entire freaking planet where 2 steps are actually legal in the rulebook.

Reaction Score
It's possible Curry isn't 100%, but I can't think of any other superstar who is protected by the media like he is. He was fully cleared, no? This isn't Curt Schilling's bloody sock. I just don't know how many times we need to see this with him in the postseason before we look at other variables, and I say that as someone who's typically a Steph backer.

Reaction Score
If we’re talking about officiating, this game right now has been pretty damn bad. Every call has gone the Warriors way, they’ve been getting away with hands on defense the whole first quarter. That’s Oracle for ya though.

Reaction Score
Its really a coin flip as to whether the exact same defense is called on consecutive possession. What a sloppy quarter by the Rockets and the refs especially.

the Q

Reaction Score
Its really a coin flip as to whether the exact same defense is called on consecutive possession. What a sloppy quarter by the Rockets and the refs especially.

Which is why at every level all you can ask for is consistency.

I’d rather have ruthlessly strict on both sides than a guessing game.

Reaction Score
It's possible Curry isn't 100%, but I can't think of any other superstar who is protected by the media like he is. He was fully cleared, no? This isn't Curt Schilling's bloody sock. I just don't know how many times we need to see this with him in the postseason before we look at other variables, and I say that as someone who's typically a Steph backer.
And people still actually buy into the Curt Schilling thing.

the Q

Reaction Score
I will never not give Red Sox fans grief but this was more about Schilling, I can't stand him as a human being.

We may not be able to be friends.

He’ll always be a favorite of mine. But I know yankee fans will always bring up the bloody sock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom