NBA Playoffs | Page 35 | The Boneyard

NBA Playoffs

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
@auror much respect for all the facts, no problems here with the argument.

I’m admittedly weighing heavily on my own eyes and subjectivity making the call that Paul doesn’t stack up, while acknowledging the idea that he’s been a great PG and arguably, as you’ve done well, an all-time great with perhaps variables accounting for his relative lack of team success.

Reaction Score
Hold your evaluation on Embid - hopefully he’s great as he was /showed this year but he’s an average pick so far having played a little over 1 full season in 4yrs since he’s been drafted. He’s always been rewarded more for what he could be than what he is.

Embiid is going to be 2nd or 3rd team All NBA and All Defense (probably 2nd team) this year. That's already "great" in my book, but I guess it's fair to say he needs to do it a couple times to call it a great pick.

The average pick comment made me curious where Embiid actually ranks compared to the other recent #3 picks in their first 4 years by VORP even missing a few years?

2017 Jayson Tatum, Duke – Boston Celtics - 1.8 + 3 years
2016 Jaylen Brown, California – Boston Celtics - 0.3 + 2 years
2015 Jahlil Okafor, Duke – Philadelphia 76ers - -1.4 + 1 year
2014 Joel Embiid, Kansas – Philadelphia 76ers - 3.2
2013 Otto Porter, Georgetown – Washington Wizards - 6.3
2012 Bradley Beal, Florida – Washington Wizards - 3.3
2011 Enes Kanter, Kentucky – Utah Jazz - -1.7
2010 Derrick Favors, Georgia Tech – New Jersey Nets - 3.2

Ironically, Tatum is probably the best of all those players, but he's played exactly as many full seasons as Embiid. Porter leading surprised me. I knew they paid him and he shot efficiently, but the 3.9 he put up in his 4th year is literally better than the 4 year spans of everyone else, including his teammate Beal who I think is better.

Reaction Score
How old are you @superjohn ? I thought I'd read somewhere in your 30's and Isaiah won his second championship nearly 30 years ago. Not trying to discredit your opinion because I do think it's tough to comment on guys you never saw play, just wondering how locked in you could have been at like 8.

Reaction Score
How old are you @superjohn ? . . . just wondering how locked in you could have been at like 8.
Please. You're talking about SuperJohn here. Our resident board Supra-Genius. Recognized for his excellence in posting for 15 years running with the ACME "Power Poster" award, not to mention a half dozen Sr. T commendations.
This guy was a child prodigy. He helped Al Gore invent the internet specifically in anticipation of attaining his current unassailable, exalted status here as board patriarch.
Once, him, Fishy, BigErn, and Chief00 had a WWE free-for-all match and he resisted, in order, the Flying Fish Throat Punch, the Big E Rant til you Crap your Pants, and the Chief00 Oblivious Tomahawk empty auditorium monologue, pinned all three and then had s3x with Vince McMahon's daughter.
This is SuperJohn we're talking about here, not that guy with the jerry curl avatar and camel font and JayNyC in his name that used to always try to sell us the Knick's most recent false resurrection.
This. is. SuperJohn. Say that like "This. Is. Sparta," because that's the proper way to address our grand Pu-bah.
Show some respect!

Reaction Score
Durant's line tonight . . . 10 for 15 from 2, 3 for 7 from 3, 3 boards, 0 assists, 5 turnovers, 5 fouls, no blocks, no steals, in 35 minutes, -28. They lost by 22. Ouch.
All 4 other starters and 3 bench guys had at least 1 assist.

Reaction Score
How old are you @superjohn ? I thought I'd read somewhere in your 30's and Isaiah won his second championship nearly 30 years ago. Not trying to discredit your opinion because I do think it's tough to comment on guys you never saw play, just wondering how locked in you could have been at like 8.
I was 10 and 11 and remember it really well, I can remember everything about those games. Same age as I was when Tate hit the shot in the dream season. I remember what I ate that night, I remember crying my eyes out when they blew the lead and then going crazy when the miracle happened. I remember every little detail about our next game as well. I remember being so incredibly mad that Tate couldn't just hold on to the ball to end the game and I remember being devastated beyond belief when Laettner hit the shot but not crying because my dad and older brother told me they never want to see me cry again over a game.

I understand the nuances of the game better now from experience but I was never as locked in as I was as a kid. I used to know pretty much every inane detail about most of the players in the league down to what town they were from and what high school they went to.

Reaction Score
Please. You're talking about SuperJohn here. Our resident board Supra-Genius. Recognized for his excellence in posting for 15 years running with the ACME "Power Poster" award, not to mention a half dozen Sr. T commendations.
This guy was a child prodigy. He helped Al Gore invent the internet specifically in anticipation of attaining his current unassailable, exalted status here as board patriarch.
Once, him, Fishy, BigErn, and Chief00 had a WWE free-for-all match and he resisted, in order, the Flying Fish Throat Punch, the Big E Rant til you Crap your Pants, and the Chief00 Oblivious Tomahawk empty auditorium monologue, pinned all three and then had s3x with Vince McMahon's daughter.
This is SuperJohn we're talking about here, not that guy with the jerry curl avatar and camel font and JayNyC in his name that used to always try to sell us the Knick's most recent false resurrection.
This. is. SuperJohn. Say that like "This. Is. Sparta," because that's the proper way to address our grand Pu-bah.
Show some respect!
Met Vince McMahon several times but never had s3x with his daughter. I remember seeing his ridiculous hot pink Excalibur car for the first time as a kid, dude was always over the top.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, the invincible Warriors are 1-1 with Houston, and got crushed. The unworthy of even being there Celtics, are 2-0 and did it by weathering a triple double from Lebron and a bad shooting night for them. Everybody still predicting a sweep?

I hate to even bring this up, because it's almost unthinkable, but if Houston can somehow win this series, Boston could actually win the next one. Amazing.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Embiid is going to be 2nd or 3rd team All NBA and All Defense (probably 2nd team) this year. That's already "great" in my book, but I guess it's fair to say he needs to do it a couple times to call it a great pick.

The average pick comment made me curious where Embiid actually ranks compared to the other recent #3 picks in their first 4 years by VORP even missing a few years?

2017 Jayson Tatum, Duke – Boston Celtics - 1.8 + 3 years
2016 Jaylen Brown, California – Boston Celtics - 0.3 + 2 years
2015 Jahlil Okafor, Duke – Philadelphia 76ers - -1.4 + 1 year
2014 Joel Embiid, Kansas – Philadelphia 76ers - 3.2
2013 Otto Porter, Georgetown – Washington Wizards - 6.3
2012 Bradley Beal, Florida – Washington Wizards - 3.3
2011 Enes Kanter, Kentucky – Utah Jazz - -1.7
2010 Derrick Favors, Georgia Tech – New Jersey Nets - 3.2

Ironically, Tatum is probably the best of all those players, but he's played exactly as many full seasons as Embiid. Porter leading surprised me. I knew they paid him and he shot efficiently, but the 3.9 he put up in his 4th year is literally better than the 4 year spans of everyone else, including his teammate Beal who I think is better.

Just to put the Tatum/Hayward talk into perspective.....Hayward was a 4.0 last year for the Jazz.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So, the invincible Warriors are 1-1 with Houston, and got crushed. The unworthy of even being there Celtics, are 2-0 and did it by weathering a triple double from Lebron and a bad shooting night for them. Everybody still predicting a sweep?

I hate to even bring this up, because it's almost unthinkable, but if Houston can somehow win this series, Boston could actually win the next one. Amazing.

Still sticking with my Warriors in 5 call. haha

Reaction Score
This lay off is for the birds. Lebron's ego (and shoulder) are getting 4 days between game 2 and 3. Apparently, the NBA was expecting players to ride bicycles to Cleveland?

They need to space it out because The Finals are locked into starting on 5/31 .

Reaction Score
This lay off is for the birds. Lebron's ego (and shoulder) are getting 4 days between game 2 and 3.
I know travel is not meaningless, but, really, with the charters and personal chefs, isn't one "travel day" enough?
Money money.
Certainly makes it a bit tougher for me to maintain interest. OTOH, I'll be watching . . .

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They need to space it out because The Finals are locked into starting on 5/31 .
Mutually exclusive. Poor justification does not mean the layoff is any less for the birds.

Reaction Score
Paul's assist to turnover is way better and he shoots like 3% better on field goals and is a better ft shooter but shoots way less of them than Paul, so that cancels out Westbrook however averages way more points and gets double the rebounds Paul gets. I don't like Westbrook but it's pretty silly to say Paul's stats are a lot better when they're not. Westbrook obviously is a way more high risk player but with that comes the reward, he averaged a triple double the past two seasons. Paul's assist turnover rate and shooting percentage is also better than his teammate Harden. You think he's better than him too? I don't like Westbrook or Harden but you're not going to find many people who think Chris Paul is better than them right now.
My take here: I would take Paul over Westbrook. Chris Paul had more win shares this year and played 22 fewer games. Harden is the best of the three at this point IMO (he was last year too), as he is close to as efficient offensively while being the highest usage player in the NBA. Paul is 32 years old, and I'm not sure how many more years he'll have at this level, but him never being on a championship super team in the West is basically his only big drawback (he still has a better shot at than than Westbrook likely ever will). He's one of the best ever to do it. Westbrook shoots way too much, and as much as he can take over, he can also dig his team into deep holes too. The triple doubles will always be his calling card, but he's not on Paul, Harden, Curry, or (prime) Wade's level in terms of guards he's played against IMO.

Reaction Score
Mutually exclusive. Poor justification does not mean the layoff is any less for the birds.

I agree. But as long as they have a fixed date for the finals and the previous round's longest series was 5 games we're going to have these layoffs. Heck if the Celtics sweep they will have 10 days off.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree. But as long as they have a fixed date for the finals and the previous round's longest series was 5 games we're going to have these layoffs. Heck if the Celtics sweep they will have 10 days off.
Game 1 was on Sunday. Game 3 is on Saturday. That is 5 full days. Why was Game 2 on the 2nd day? It could have been last night.

Same thing goes the West. Game 1 was on Monday. Game 3 is on Sunday. Game 2 should have been tonight.

Reaction Score
Ok, we'll see I believe not only 1 more loss and possibly 2. I do hope the Celtics get to the finals and compete against either.

Reaction Score
Over at something called ESPN+ Kobe Bryant wants Tatum to watch videos of Rip Hamilton so that he can see how the game is supposed to be played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom