OT: Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30 | The Boneyard

OT: Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'd been planning to watch it for the past month and then forgot to last night. Did anyone catch it?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I love the doggie, and I liked them together at times ... Mike on his own is knowledgeable but annoying, my opinion of course.

That said, I also forgot it was on and need to catch it, asap. The last one on the Lakers/Celtics was, of course, tremendous.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Saw the second half.

Everyone is aware this is a plant for the scheduled break of Mike and Mike, correct?

Reaction Score
I'd been planning to watch it for the past month and then forgot to last night. Did anyone catch it?
I was actually pretty disappointed. Confirmed what everyone knows already: Francesca is a narcissistic blowhard that hated Russo and gave him no credit even though it took both of them to make the show. You couldn't pay me enough to listen to that fat ass pontificate today......he's insufferable. The only real insight was what a disaster it was in the beginning that they were able to overcome.

Reaction Score
I was actually pretty disappointed. Confirmed what everyone knows already: Francesca is a narcissistic blowhard that hated Russo and gave him no credit even though it took both of them to make the show. You couldn't pay me enough to listen to that fat ass pontificate today.he's insufferable. The only real insight was what a disaster it was in the beginning that they were able to overcome.
How dare you talk about "NUMBAH ONE" like that

Reaction Score
Dog is a phony and extremely corny. Anyone who followed him to Sirius and listened to his Stern interviews knows this. Hate on Francesca all you want, but he continued to dominate after Dog left and Dogs channel was an absolute disaster on Sirius. After 3 years they cut his show and half and fired him as program director. (Yes I know the channel is still called mad dog radio). Dogs channels ratings were so bad he tried everything, fake fired his producer on the air, corny fights with dino costas, Stern interviews. Dogs a phony and Francesca continues to be numbah 1.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Dog is a phony and extremely corny. Anyone who followed him to Sirius and listened to his Stern interviews knows this. Hate on Francesca all you want, but he continued to dominate after Dog left and Dogs channel was an absolute disaster on Sirius. After 3 years they cut his show and half and fired him as program director. (Yes I know the channel is still called mad dog radio). Dogs channels ratings were so bad he tried everything, fake fired his producer on the air, corny fights with dino costas, Stern interviews. Dogs a phony and Francesca continues to be numbah 1.

Thanks for your information, Mrs. Francesa.

Reaction Score
If those guys had settled their differences and played their cards right, they could have written their own ticket on ESPN. They'd be hosting College Game Day and doing color from the booth. Abbott and Costello of Sports Talk Radio.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I watched it and enjoyed it. I'll listen to Mike's solo show every once and a while and get a kick out of it.

Also reminded me that this exists. Thanks @tcf15

The insufferable slob kept saying, over and over, that he "banked it in."

I guarantee that if you asked him today, he'd still say Jalen banked it in, because he has never in his live admitted to getting something wrong.

Reaction Score
If those guys had settled their differences and played their cards right, they could have written their own ticket on ESPN. They'd be hosting College Game Day and doing color from the booth. Abbott and Costello of Sports Talk Radio.

Don't think either one of them ever wanted to be on ESPN. They both make more money than anyone on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Don't think either one of them ever wanted to be on ESPN. They both make more money than anyone on ESPN.
Actually I meant ESPN or the networks. If Mike and the Mad Dog had moved from MSG to ESPN, I think ratings would have been better. The radio rights were always going to be network radio, I think.

Reaction Score
Actually I meant ESPN or the networks. If Mike and the Mad Dog had moved from MSG to ESPN, I think ratings would have been better. The radio rights were always going to be network radio, I think.
First of all, Mike and the Mad Dog were on YES, not MSG. And no, they would not have been better at ESPN. They are a New York based radio show. Would NOT have done well nationally. People outside this region don't know who they are prior to the 30 for 30.

Reaction Score
So many copy cat shows are still on the air and not just sports talk but all of news media. When is it on again?

Reaction Score
First of all, Mike and the Mad Dog were on YES, not MSG. And no, they would not have been better at ESPN. They are a New York based radio show. Would NOT have done well nationally. People outside this region don't know who they are prior to the 30 for 30.
My bad, you're right. It was Yes, but they did go national on the radio, through syndication in certain markets across the country and did great.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Mike and the Dog were legit and great. The 30-30 was really well done and tells the story overall, nice job by ESPN.

I loved that show from 1991 until it ended. I remember they came on live after our first championship. That Grand Marquee character was funny. Mike also does a solid NFL Sunday morning show.

Reaction Score
I loved that show from 1991 until it ended. I remember they came on live after our first championship. That Grand Marquee character was funny. Mike also does a solid NFL Sunday morning show.
What I remember Francesa for besides Mike and the Mad Dog, was his March Madness analysis on CBS back in the 80's. His knowledge and predictive abilities were pretty impressive. Don Imus bet Francesa on the air once that Seton Hall would not make the Final Four that March, Francesa was adamant that they would. Imus said if they did he would buy Francesa a brand new Porsche. Of course that was Seton Hall's year and they did make the Final Four.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What I remember Francesa for besides Mike and the Mad Dog, was his March Madness analysis on CBS back in the 80's. His knowledge and predictive abilities were pretty impressive. Don Imus bet Francesa on the air once that Seton Hall would not make the Final Four that March, Francesa was adamant that they would. Imus said if they did he would buy Francesa a brand new Porsche. Of course that was Seton Hall's year and they did make the Final Four.

They shouldve won it all that year.

Reaction Score
He did buy him a new Porsche...it was from Matchbox.

Reaction Score
The doc was okay, nothing groundbreaking but I enjoyed it.

For all their individual issues and annoying/childish behavior, the show was great in the pre-Internet days of the 90s. Really the only way to get a consistent sports fix in the middle of the day at that time. A must-listen for NYC sports fans.

Sad to see how hard both fell on their own. Sure, Mike maintained the #1 spot for most of his solo run but he didn't exactly have stiff competition. His show has been awful since he went solo. He's mailed it in something fierce, the guy clearly hasn't watched sports consistently for many years. He's wrong on so many things and has become a punch line on social media. I had him on for a few minutes last Fall, and for a guy who's supposedly a huge Giants fan, he didn't know how to pronounce Orleans Darkwa's last name and this was at the point where Darkwa had started a few games in a row. How is that possible? His NFL draft preview this year was so wrong and so bad.

Russo never stood a chance on his own but he had to take the money from Sirius and I don't blame him for wanting to get away from Fatso.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom