OT: Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30

Reaction Score
But that's what gives him a unique quality and separates himself from a very saturated field. If mike was one of these sports talk radio hosts that left callers on the line for minutes at a time, we wouldn't be having this conversation. His show would be boring like the rest. He has unique qualities that has propelled him to numba 1.
That makes his show good, smacking down the caller when they are not even on the line? Try this if you are married or have a significant other: The next time you have a spirited discussion with them after about 1 minute just slap some duct tape over their mouth, then continue to make your point vigorously, even ranting a bit. You'll be numba 1.

Reaction Score
After Dog left I stopped listening entirely. Dog and Mike balanced each other and made the show entertaining. When he left, it became "too much, too much" (ie. too much Mike). Even while Dog was there though, I grew very very sick of listening to all the SF Giants talk. I could care less about the Giants, didn't want to hear about them, and ended up knowing way too much about them due to Dog.

Reaction Score
I had a cheap Sanyo boombox in my college apartment where the FAN was on 24 hours a day. I would turn it down for sweet love with a young lady but otherwise 660.

My father got really sick and was missing a lot of work the summer before my senior year of high school (90). We would sit on the deck and listen to Mike and the Dog talk Pete Rose for 5-6 hours a day. That show and era was awesome.
That's great that you have the memory of listening with your Dad. I agree the early 90's era was awesome and the one thing the doc didn't hit probably b/c its hard to capture is the way they had legitimate discussions about both the 'hot issues' of the day but could also debate for hours about Ali vs Frazier and many other historical sports moments. Sports talk has now devolved into everyone's hot take and daily outrageous opinions so its very hard to recapture when this was unique and the fact that they made it seem like true debates and differences of opinion versus an opinion as pure schtick.

Reaction Score
That makes his show good, smacking down the caller when they are not even on the line? Try this if you are married or have a significant other: The next time you have a spirited discussion with them after about 1 minute just slap some duct tape over their mouth, then continue to make your point vigorously, even ranting a bit. You'll be numba 1.

You're lawst

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When I travel to NYC and turn on Mike's show, it's noticeable to me how much time he spends just saying the same thing over and over and over again. It's what salespeople say is "going past the close". If he were more efficient he could easily fit in another 20 callers or 10 different segments.

I do still enjoy listening to Sommers though. He is certainly different.

Reaction Score
I loved listening to them when Yanks were on their 1996-2001 run. Dog would get so frustrated. All in good fun. They were a great team for a bunch of years. I remember hearing them on in the background of one of The Sopranos episodes.

Reaction Score
Takes and interviews Uncle Mikey is the best business.

He's smarter and sharper than the rest of the sports radio hosts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I actually met Secretariat one time.

A beautiful and stunning hawse.

Elizabeth from Elizabeth, ga'head sweetheart.

We bring in the manager of the New York Yankees, Georgia Roddy. Good afternoon how are you today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
mike-francesa-sleeping-gif.gif

Reaction Score
I loved Imus on the radio. His fractured fairy tales, his crazy songs...."I don't care if the rain don't freeze as long as I got my plastic Jesus". "Mrs O'Malley down inthe valley.
The early days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom