OT: Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30

Reaction Score
In the mid-90's, Mike was going off on how Calhoun couldn't get it done, always a high seed never making the FF. I call up and the screener was pretty insistent on asking me what I was going to say. My main point was that JC had a better record than Looie Carnesecca and he was in the Hall of Fame. He puts me on hold and while I'm listening through the phone, Mad Dog brings up all of my points one by one. I didn't know if I should have been proud or pissed. All Mike could say was, "Well, Looie did some things..." He never elaborated on what those things were.

I had the same thing happen with me calling a political talk show. At first I was pissed, but then I realized how difficult it can be to have to fill that much content every day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"A lot of people" did one morning a week while M&MD did the other four. Other WFAN guys did an extra hour going into M&MD's afternoon slot to give them a rest. Jerk

You are wrong: Mike and the Mad Dog were never syndicated nationally.

Who knows why you think it was or why you want to die on this hill - but more power to you.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Go outside

Interesting response.

No big deal, I wasn't trying to get you upset, it was more me voicing my disagreement with most of what you said in a non-nasty way.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Mike and the Mad Dog is about as iconic as it gets in the NY sports scene. I actually like Mike a lot better than Dog, so I still listen to his show. It's true he doesn't follow sports as closely anymore and aside from reciting Da Micks stats, I feel like he doesn't have a handle/care about numbers these days. Still a great interviewer and his battles with callers is second to none.

The documentary was too short and while it did a good job of explaining how they got successful, it didn't go into why they have a cult like following, especially for Mike - i.e. Mongo Nation.

Also the like 20 seconds on the 9/11 thing seemed really out of place and there comments about someone being out at 2am, was odd as well.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Sour shoes calling in as Gary and Mike pretending to know it was bogus 45 seconds late is one of the only things enjoyable about Mike, though I admit I haven't watched him in forever.

I enjoyed them together but always found him to be annoying. With Dog going to Sirius and me being an avid Sirius listener, the choice was made for me.

I love Dog, quirks and mangled English and all. Mike on his own is a bore.

Reaction Score
Why does Carton on wfan have such a hatred for Mike? He takes shots at him quite frequently. As arrogant as Mike is, he has handled that situation with class and doesn't retaliate on the air. Though the other day a caller mentioned how the mor nine show was lambasting the 30 for 30, and Mike did have a comment for Carton for the first time that I can recall.

Reaction Score
Francessa is a self important jerk. I could have been less flattering. He has some knowledge and good sports memory, but he has a job in which he talks to people and always gets the last word. More than half of the time the caller is already off the line as he pontificates his response and of course that means he's always right. He's deferential to the experts that come on the show but shows a lot of contempt for the fans who pay his freight. Not all sports radio hosts operate this way, and if they hire Christie they'll have someone worse than Mike.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Am I missing something here? He did bank the shot in.
No he didn't. I hit the back rim on the way through, but it never touched the backboard.

Reaction Score
Mike and the Dog were great together, separately they are both pretty pedestrian. Mike long ago mailed it in, I still listen on occasion, but more because I find his antics and attitude to callers amusing.

Carton is insufferable.

That both Mike and B&C can hold those time slots speaks more to the dearth of sports radio talent in NYC than it does to those guys acumen. I think Boomer is actually enjoyable to listen to, but Carton is so off-putting that I can't do it.

Midday - Joe B. are you kidding me bro, Joe B. the fan has to do better than that, but I suppose he appeals to every dimwitted Jets fan out there. Never mind the numbnuts that named his kid Jet or Jett or whatever.

Steve Sommers is an all-time classic.

Reaction Score
Mike and the Dog were great together, separately they are both pretty pedestrian. Mike long ago mailed it in, I still listen on occasion, but more because I find his antics and attitude to callers amusing.

Carton is insufferable.

That both Mike and B&C can hold those time slots speaks more to the dearth of sports radio talent in NYC than it does to those guys acumen. I think Boomer is actually enjoyable to listen to, but Carton is so off-putting that I can't do it.

Midday - Joe B. are you kidding me bro, Joe B. the fan has to do better than that, but I suppose he appeals to every dimwitted Jets fan out there. Never mind the numbnuts that named his kid Jet or Jett or whatever.

Steve Sommers is an all-time classic.

The schmooze.

Reaction Score
Sommers pulls some pretty interesting and obscure clips in the intros to his show. Last night he had some twilight zone stuff that few would recognize due to their age, although his audience is pretty old probably. Long winded, can't he just say Mets not Metropolitans?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sommers pulls some pretty interesting and obscure clips in the intros to his show. Last night he had some twilight zone stuff that few would recognize due to their age, although his audience is pretty old probably. Long winded, can't he just say Mets not Metropolitans?

I love Sommers. All the way back to high school betting late NBA games when they didn't have an overnight person on 20/20. They had a Sam Ryan recording and he'd read the late scores at the end: The Hollywood Fakers 103 The Sacatomato Kings 99.

Him thanking the Icelander fans for the farm fresh eggs they provide for breakfast.

The Ducks and Geese and Chickens and Eggs song.

Ranger Roundup with the Chief.

The most underrated FAN host was Jodi Mac. Saturday overnights an hour of wresting and then rotisserie roundup. An hour of him reading box scores at 3am. Great radio.

Reaction Score
Francessa is a self important jerk. I could have been less flattering. He has some knowledge and good sports memory, but he has a job in which he talks to people and always gets the last word. More than half of the time the caller is already off the line as he pontificates his response and of course that means he's always right. He's deferential to the experts that come on the show but shows a lot of contempt for the fans who pay his freight. Not all sports radio hosts operate this way, and if they hire Christie they'll have someone worse than Mike.

But that's what gives him a unique quality and separates himself from a very saturated field. If mike was one of these sports talk radio hosts that left callers on the line for minutes at a time, we wouldn't be having this conversation. His show would be boring like the rest. He has unique qualities that has propelled him to numba 1.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I love Sommers. All the way back to high school betting late NBA games when they didn't have an overnight person on 20/20. They had a Sam Ryan recording and he'd read the late scores at the end: The Hollywood Fakers 103 The Sacatomato Kings 99.

Him thanking the Icelander fans for the farm fresh eggs they provide for breakfast.

The Ducks and Geese and Chickens and Eggs song.

Ranger Roundup with the Chief.

The most underrated FAN host was Jodi Mac. Saturday overnights an hour of wresting and then rotisserie roundup. An hour of him reading box scores at 3am. Great radio.

Yes!!!! Somers was awesome with the chief. Now we are talking . Jodi Mac was the best. Weeknights overnight were schmoozer and weekends overnight were jodi Mac. I used to call in to jodi Mac all the the during wrestling hour.

" Jodi Mac do me a favor ...."
Late 80s through 90s fan I listened like 18 hours a day.
Imus
Ed coleman and Dave sims ( the Cole-man and the Soul man ... Lol)
Fatso and fruit loops
Then would fire it back on for Somers.

Great radio

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes!!!! Somers was awesome with the chief. Now we are talking . Jodi Mac was the best. Weeknights overnight were schmoozer and weekends overnight were jodi Mac. I used to call in to jodi Mac all the the during wrestling hour.

" Jodi Mac do me a favor ...."
Late 80s through 90s fan I listened like 18 hours a day.
Imus
Ed coleman and Dave sims ( the Cole-man and the Soul man ... Lol)
Fatso and fruit loops
Then would fire it back on for Somers.

Great radio

I had a cheap Sanyo boombox in my college apartment where the FAN was on 24 hours a day. I would turn it down for sweet love with a young lady but otherwise 660.

My favorite Imus shows were during the Zodiac copycat. Just the best.

Only Russ was terrible. The sweater was the worst.

My father got really sick and was missing a lot of work the summer before my senior year of high school (90). We would sit on the deck and listen to Mike and the Dog talk Pete Rose for 5-6 hours a day. That show and era was awesome.

My unpopular FAN opinion is that I don't mind Joe and Evan. I don't hear them much but they don't bother me.

Reaction Score
Mike and the Dog covering baseball between '96 and 01' was as good as it gets. The Dog, trying to do a reverse Hoodoo, pretending to be a Yankee rooter for months (don't remember which summer this was) until Mike brought Dusty Baker, manager of his beloved Giants, on the phone and Dog had to break down and admit his true loyalty was priceless. Mike and the Marquee holding impossible trivia contests for Superbowl tickets was also a treat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom