OT: Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Mike and the Mad Dog 30 for 30

Reaction Score
My bad, you're right. It was Yes, but they did go national on the radio, through syndication in certain markets across the country and did great.

I guess you're right but the only syndication that did was Albany in 2004-2007 and a station in Tampa and that wasn't until 2007 a year before the show ended.

Mike and the Mad Dog was an afternoon drive sports radio program based out of WFAN in New York City hosted by Mike Francesa and Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo. Airing from 1989 to 2008, the show featured Francesa and Russo talking sports and taking phone calls from listeners. From 2002 onwards, the show was simulcast on television on the YES Network. On the radio, the show was simulcast beginning 2007 on WQYK in Tampa, Florida and from 2004 until 2007 on WROW in Albany, New York.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In the mid-90's, Mike was going off on how Calhoun couldn't get it done, always a high seed never making the FF. I call up and the screener was pretty insistent on asking me what I was going to say. My main point was that JC had a better record than Looie Carnesecca and he was in the Hall of Fame. He puts me on hold and while I'm listening through the phone, Mad Dog brings up all of my points one by one. I didn't know if I should have been proud or pissed. All Mike could say was, "Well, Looie did some things..." He never elaborated on what those things were.

Reaction Score
I guess you're right but the only syndication that did was Albany in 2004-2007 and a station in Tampa and that wasn't until 2007 a year before the show ended.

Mike and the Mad Dog was an afternoon drive sports radio program based out of WFAN in New York City hosted by Mike Francesa and Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo. Airing from 1989 to 2008, the show featured Francesa and Russo talking sports and taking phone calls from listeners. From 2002 onwards, the show was simulcast on television on the YES Network. On the radio, the show was simulcast beginning 2007 on WQYK in Tampa, Florida and from 2004 until 2007 on WROW in Albany, New York.
Actually in 2007 they went completely national all over the country in the morning slot. Every market that syndicated WFAN in the morning and that was pretty much everywhere, including Alaska and Hawaii.

Reaction Score
I was actually pretty disappointed. Confirmed what everyone knows already: Francesca is a narcissistic blowhard that hated Russo and gave him no credit even though it took both of them to make the show. You couldn't pay me enough to listen to that fat ass pontificate today.he's insufferable. The only real insight was what a disaster it was in the beginning that they were able to overcome.
Francesa is the GOAT

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually in 2007 they went completely national all over the country in the morning slot. Every market that syndicated WFAN in the morning and that was pretty much everywhere, including Alaska and Hawaii.

What in the world are you talking about?

When Imus got fired and they covered some shifts? Lots of people covered those shifts as they tried to replace Imus.

Reaction Score
Yep they got hosed, putting Rumeal Robinson on the line, that dude btw is a real POS.
Yep, robbing your mother blind is about as low as it gets. Still the worst call I can ever remember to decide a championship game.

Reaction Score
The doc was okay, nothing groundbreaking but I enjoyed it.

For all their individual issues and annoying/childish behavior, the show was great in the pre-Internet days of the 90s. Really the only way to get a consistent sports fix in the middle of the day at that time. A must-listen for NYC sports fans.

Sad to see how hard both fell on their own. Sure, Mike maintained the #1 spot for most of his solo run but he didn't exactly have stiff competition. His show has been awful since he went solo. He's mailed it in something fierce, the guy clearly hasn't watched sports consistently for many years. He's wrong on so many things and has become a punch line on social media. I had him on for a few minutes last Fall, and for a guy who's supposedly a huge Giants fan, he didn't know how to pronounce Orleans Darkwa's last name and this was at the point where Darkwa had started a few games in a row. How is that possible? His NFL draft preview this year was so wrong and so bad.

Russo never stood a chance on his own but he had to take the money from Sirius and I don't blame him for wanting to get away from Fatso.

Mike has never claimed to be a "huge giants fan." He doesn't have an NFL team.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
mike-francesa-headband-thing.gif

Reaction Score

When Imus got fired and they covered some shifts? Lots of people covered those shifts as they tried to replace Imus.

I thought I was going nuts. And the syndication pretty much ended after the Imus firing.

Reaction Score
Mike back on today. He said they had plenty of offers to syndicate the show but they wanted to be a local show and weren't interest in doing a national show.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Mike back on today. He said they had plenty of offers to syndicate the show but they wanted to be a local show and weren't interest in doing a national show.

Then why does Russo have a national show - I might be missing something here, sorry.

Reaction Score
Then why does Russo have a national show - I might be missing something here, sorry.

I think you're missing that Russo was sick of working with Mike at the time and Sirius offered him a boatload of cash.

They were the most popular sport show in the country. Do think they had syndication options?

Reaction Score
If those guys had settled their differences and played their cards right, they could have written their own ticket on ESPN. They'd be hosting College Game Day and doing color from the booth. Abbott and Costello of Sports Talk Radio.
No one cares about ESPN....

Mike & Doggy are way above ESPN, way above it....

Uncle Mikey gives the best takes & does the best interviews in the field, greatest ever....

Reaction Score
No one cares about ESPN....

Mike & Doggy are way above ESPN, way above it....

Uncle Mikey gives the best takes & does the best interviews in the field, greatest ever....
ESPN offered the both of them back in the early 90's, they said no thanks.

Reaction Score

That's exactly what I'm talking about, wise @ ss. They took over the morning lineup when Imus was canned. Most of the Imus staff was canned too except for Charles McCord who moved over to M&MD. They covered the morning slot all over the country, WFAN only used "Lots of people", to give them a break on occasion because they were also still doing their regular afternoon slot. They were the only ones in the WFAN stable that the morning sponsors wanted.
Thanks for clarifying things dufus.

........and while you're at it, name the "lots of people".

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's exactly what I'm talking about, wise @ ss. They took over the morning lineup when Imus was canned. Most of the Imus staff was canned too except for Charles McCord who moved over to M&MD. They covered the morning slot all over the country, WFAN only used "Lots of people", to give them a break on occasion because they were also still doing their regular afternoon slot. They were the only ones in the WFAN stable that the morning sponsors wanted.

...and while you're at it, name the "lots of people".

You really should delete your account.

You are so lost on every topic it's amazing.

Were you on the women's board and wondered off?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

...and while you're at it, name the "lots of people".

You want some other names dufus?

Mike and Dog split the morning and afternoon for a while. Mike North. Boomer Esiason. John and Patrick McEnroe. Joe Scarborough. Geraldo.

Reaction Score
At one time they invited Geno on. this was after the Nykesha Sales basket with the broken foot to become the #1 scorer in Uconn women's bball. If you remember, it was at Villanova and they each gave up a basket, with NS hobbling onto the court with a boot on her broken foot, no defense. The first words out of Geno were, "So were you guys when we won the national championship? You bring me on because I give a great player a chance to write a record". Fatso and Fruitloops were made to apologize first. Classic Geno.

Reaction Score
You really should delete your account.

You are so lost on every topic it's amazing.

Were you on the women's board and wondered off?
Temper, temper there Moby. You've had run ins with several on the Boneyard, until the mod has to tell you to simmer down. It's the way you go about it when you take exception to a post. This isn't a fan board for you it's a boxing ring. If people around the country hate UConn maybe because it's the fans attitude, with you at the top of the list.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Temper, temper there Moby. You've had run ins with several on the Boneyard, until the mod has to tell you to simmer down. It's the way you go about it when you take exception to a post. This isn't a fan board for you it's a boxing ring. If people around the country hate UConn maybe because it's the fans attitude, with you at the top of the list.

Simmer down.

Reaction Score
You want some other names dufus?

Mike and Dog split the morning and afternoon for a while. Mike North. Boomer Esiason. John and Patrick McEnroe. Joe Scarborough. Geraldo.
"A lot of people" did one morning a week while M&MD did the other four. Other WFAN guys did an extra hour going into M&MD's afternoon slot to give them a rest. Jerk

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom