OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor

Reaction Score
UFC power =/= boxing power.
Not sure if this is true.
Pretty sure that you have no evidence to support it.
Also sure that Mayweather hasn't been hurt more than a couple times in his entire career. Really not credible to comment on CM's punching power when he's going against the best punch dodger in history.

Reaction Score
McGregor clearly didn't throw punches with the power and speed of a boxer. One can simply watch and see that he was nowhere near the puncher of Mayweather, who isn't a puncher himself. He looked like he was simply trying to touch him gently most of the time to score some points. His punches just had nothing on them. He hit Mayweather on the nose a couple of times and in the body a couple of times with decent punches but there was literally zero reaction from Floyd that he'd felt it.

George Foreman is the only guy I've seen with incredible power that looked like his punches packed nothing. However, with Foreman you would hear the punches thud against his opponent's body and see them wince from each one. McGregor was pawing.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is true.
Pretty sure that you have no evidence to support it.
Also sure that Mayweather hasn't been hurt more than a couple times in his entire career. Really not credible to comment on CM's punching power when he's going against the best punch dodger in history.

Watch the fight again slow it down if you need to and then tell me who hits harder. CM absolutely landed enough punches to see if there was power behind them.

Reaction Score
McGregor clearly didn't throw punches with the power and speed of a boxer. One can simply watch and see that he was nowhere near the puncher of Mayweather, who isn't a puncher himself. He looked like he was simply trying to touch him gently most of the time to score some points. His punches just had nothing on them. He hit Mayweather on the nose a couple of times and in the body a couple of times with decent punches but there was literally zero reaction from Floyd that he'd felt it.

George Foreman is the only guy I've seen with incredible power that looked like his punches packed nothing. However, with Foreman you would hear the punches thud against his opponent's body and see them wince from each one. McGregor was pawing.

Looked to me like he had respectable snap and power behind his punches for the first 2 rounds. Didn't look like GGG or anything early on but he wasn't the same pillow fist that he was from rounds 4 and on.

Reaction Score
Watch the fight again slow it down if you need to and then tell me who hits harder. CM absolutely landed enough punches to see if there was power behind them.
This is just confirmation that you have no evidence. Your opinion is not evidence. Unless you have some sort of visual punching expertise.

Reaction Score
This is just confirmation that you have no evidence. Your opinion is not evidence. Unless you have some sort of visual punching expertise.
All the evidence you need is who got battered around that ring at anytime in that fight. It was never Floyd. Conor was exhausted but he was the definition of a feather fisted boxer that night. Floyd didn't have a mark on him, while was bloodied and bruise. What Conor did impress me with watching it a second time was his footwork. It was phenomenal. Must be why he whomps most ufc guys while barely getrung touched. Plus he trash talks them into going in there to fight his fight. Chad Mendes on 10 days notice was wrestling the crap out of him till he got gassed.

As far as punch dodging, Floyd went right at him. Wasn't trying to make him miss, as Connor landed 111 punches. That was cause Floyd felt no threat from his strikes and walked him down.

Reaction Score

Did you see Floyds face post fight? Not even a tiny scratch on it.

I would say that is decent evidence.

Also the fact that a guy 20 lbs lighter who has all time world class defense elected to forgo this d and instead walk down Conor all night and take those weak a** punches.

You have shown repeatedly in this thread that you are clueless when it comes to boxing. Conor did better than most expected. Just leave it at that and stop making things up out of your a**

Reaction Score
Did you see Floyds face post fight? Not even a tiny scratch on it. I would say that is decent evidence.
You would be very wrong. Not decent evidence. Terrible evidence.

And the original question was punching in UFC vs. in Boxing. Not Floyd vs. McG. So you're not even addressing the original question.
Evidence would be something that measures the force of punches thrown by UFC guys versus Boxers. Marks on face at end of fight don't show that. When the "Big Rig" fellow fought GSP, Big Rig looked like he came from a picnic. GSP looked like somebody had worked him over with a pipe. But that's not evidence that GSP doesn't punch hard.

Likewise, Floyd worked him over for 4 or 5 rounds after he was punched out/gassed.

What the fight showed was 2 things:
1. Floyd is a demonstrably better boxer than McGregor.
and
2. The difference in boxing skill/talent between Floyd and McGregor was not nearly as great as most boxing fans believed and not nearly as close as most UFC fans believed.

I know that this thread is all boxing fan boys and UFC fan boys, so nobody is going to be reasonable, but I'd be curious to see an actual scientific study on punch power. I have no doubt that boxers would punch harder, on average. How much harder is the question.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

And the original question was punching in UFC vs. in Boxing. Not Floyd vs. McG. So you're not even addressing the original question.
Evidence would be something that measures the force of punches thrown by UFC guys versus Boxers. Marks on face at end of fight don't show that. When the "Big Rig" fellow fought GSP, Big Rig looked like he came from a picnic. GSP looked like somebody had worked him over with a pipe. But that's not evidence that GSP doesn't punch hard.

Likewise, Floyd worked him over for 4 or 5 rounds after he was punched out/gassed.

and
2. The difference in boxing skill/talent between Floyd and McGregor was not nearly as great as most boxing fans believed and not nearly as close as most UFC fans believed.

I know that this thread is all boxing fan boys and UFC fan boys, so nobody is going to be reasonable, but I'd be curious to see an actual scientific study on punch power. I have no doubt that boxers would punch harder, on average. How much harder is the question.

You're a MMA fan boy. Your second point proves as much, if you believe that to be true then you're a fool.

Mayweather vs. McGregor: Full Punch Stats and Scorecard Results from Megafight

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Full Punch Stats and Scorecard Results from Megafight

Reaction Score

and

Where was Connors Ko artist ability against a guy 20lbs smaller who walked right through his punches. It's silly. Told you before boxers train in throwing punches and evading punches. It stands to reason they punch harder, since mma guys train so many more disciplines. When the UFC ko artist can't even give the boxer with no power even a bloody nose it should tell you who punched harder. A similar aged boxer with true power would have flat lined Conor. That's not a knock, I love mma, but their 2 different sports. Do you believe Miocic could hang with Anthony Joshua boxing because Miocic won golden gloves?

Reaction Score
Where was Connors Ko artist ability against a guy 20lbs smaller who walked right through his punches. It's silly. Told you before boxers train in throwing punches and evading punches. It stands to reason they punch harder, since mma guys train so many more disciplines. When the UFC ko artist can't even give the boxer with no power even a bloody nose it should tell you who punched harder. A similar aged boxer with true power would have flat lined Conor. That's not a knock, I love mma, but their 2 different sports. Do you believe Miocic could hang with Anthony Joshua boxing because Miocic won golden gloves?

Does this look like a guy who just fought a "power puncher" for 10 rounds??

upload_2017-8-30_13-3-13.png

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Boxing and MMA have about as much in common as hunting and fishing.

Mayweather didn't throw a punch until the end of first round. He didn't throw many more in Rounds 2 and 3.

McGregor landed a punch, congrats. It is more than most people could do against Floyd. Mayweather was never in danger and won when he wanted to win. A cynic would say he held in up in the early rounds and then methodically wore McGregor down. The cynic would be more right than wrong. It was a good show for a crowd that wanted a show.

No need to read anything deeper into it.

Reaction Score
Love the way the boxing fanboys in this thread keep attempting to draw validation from a fight between the "best boxer of our generation" and an amateur fighting his first professional boxing match after training for 100 days.
It's beautiful.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It took 7 or 8 pages before I clicked on this thread to find out what it meant. I knew it was about boxing, but I'd never heard of either Mayweather or McGregor, and certainly didn't know they represented two different sports.
I read a couple pages if predictions here, and after getting a phone notification about the the outcome, I learned that Mayweather is 40 & hadn't fought in 2 years, and that McGregor didn't think the bout should have been stopped.
This evening, I had an hour to wait in the JFK Cell Phone Lot before picking up friends coming in from San Francisco, so I streamed the fight on YouTube. It was an OK way to pass the time, and I agree with the decision to stop the fight when the ref called it.
Sometimes I really just love being so ignorant about such obviously very popular stuff. It's an unexpected perk of aging.

DO you live under a rock?

Reaction Score
Love the way the boxing fanboys in this thread keep attempting to draw validation from a fight between the "best boxer of our generation" and an amateur fighting his first professional boxing match after training for 100 days.
It's beautiful.

This is what someone says after they lose an argument.

Reaction Score
It's beautiful.
41 years old, hadn't boxed in two years.

Reaction Score
It's beautiful.
I don't think that's what people are doing here. No one is questioning that McGregor would win in a UFC fight, but this fight was validation that boxers hot harder. A guy that is generally much more defensive walked down the KO artist of UFC all night. Outside of a body shot or two in the early rounds, there was nothing McGregor connected with that phased him at all. The later rounds were more about McGregor's conditioning not being good enough but the point remains. Ilas many have said, if this were against GGG, this fight is over in a couple rounds.

Reaction Score
Bro, make another run to BJ's for a case of Monster & some Red Bull

It's beautiful.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
DO you live under a rock?
I'm adept at avoiding a lot of hype, and probably peaked on non-heavyweight boxing with Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, Arguello, Pryor. No regrets whatsoever.

The vast majority of my spectator sports attention goes to UConn Men's Basketball, no matter how hard Conference Realignment, NCAA, and other forces beyond my control try to kill it.

Twin grandsons begin their first little league in a few weeks. Things change. Time passes. I've got a FT of great memories and a rich life in the present.

If you want to recommend a vintage Mayweather or McGregor fight I can watch on YouTube, by all means make a suggestion.

Reaction Score
It's beautiful.

Why are you taking this so personally?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom