OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor

Reaction Score
That is how Floyd fights.

Fight went exactly to plan for Floyd, let McGregor come out strong and tire himself out, and beat him easily once McGregor lost his initial burst. McGregor was never going to out box Floyd, Floyd knew that and McGregor knew that.

McGregor did better than I expected but he still was lightyears behind Floyd.

I don't know. That was literally my first time watching Floyd fight, so you're reference point would be better than mine, but I feel like I've heard other people argue the opposite, that Floyd was, even in the early rounds, chasing the fight in a way that was atypical. Could be that the punches McGregor landed were simply a matter of Floyd being rusty, but the way he was smiling, almost mocking McGregor in the early stages of the fight made me think there was some showmanship going on that you wouldn't have seen in a match between two locked-in boxers. And I'm not complaining - the fight was entertaining, I just thought there was a little Harlem Globetrotters' there on Floyd's part.

And yeah, the shots McGregor landed didn't seem to move Floyd much. The fight was lopsided even before it turned ugly later on.

Reaction Score
I don't know. That was literally my first time watching Floyd fight, so you're reference point would be better than mine, but I feel like I've heard other people argue the opposite, that Floyd was, even in the early rounds, chasing the fight in a way that was atypical. Could be that the punches McGregor landed were simply a matter of Floyd being rusty, but the way he was smiling, almost mocking McGregor in the early stages of the fight made me think there was some showmanship going on that you wouldn't have seen in a match between two locked-in boxers. And I'm not complaining - the fight was entertaining, I just thought there was a little Harlem Globetrotters' there on Floyd's part.

And yeah, the shots McGregor landed didn't seem to move Floyd much. The fight was lopsided even before it turned ugly later on.
So you're claiming it was semi-staged based on how the fight went but have never even seen Floyd fight before?! Dude....

This is what Floyd does. He goes defensive in the beginning and lets fighters tire themselves out while he's feeling them out. That said, this was certainly a slowed down Floyd but the ego and showmanship is part of his persona regardless of the opponent.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It took 7 or 8 pages before I clicked on this thread to find out what it meant. I knew it was about boxing, but I'd never heard of either Mayweather or McGregor, and certainly didn't know they represented two different sports.
I read a couple pages if predictions here, and after getting a phone notification about the the outcome, I learned that Mayweather is 40 & hadn't fought in 2 years, and that McGregor didn't think the bout should have been stopped.
This evening, I had an hour to wait in the JFK Cell Phone Lot before picking up friends coming in from San Francisco, so I streamed the fight on YouTube. It was an OK way to pass the time, and I agree with the decision to stop the fight when the ref called it.
Sometimes I really just love being so ignorant about such obviously very popular stuff. It's an unexpected perk of aging.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Nothing McGregor threw could hurt Mayweather let alone knock him out.

Doubtful. As I understand it, Mayweather is known for his ability to avoid punches, not an ability to take a hit.

Reaction Score
Doubtful. As I understand it, Mayweather is known for his ability to avoid punches, not an ability to take a hit.

If you watch the fight you'll agree. McGregor's punches don't bother Floyd at all. His hands look incredibly slow compared to Mayweather's. It seems Mayweather could have just taken the punches and walked right through them rather than avoid them at all. Stunning difference in hand speed and power. Given Mayweather is clearly over the hill, it is even more surprising.

No way was Mayweather getting knocked out or even hurt by McGregor. I'm confident Floyd let him hang around, in rounds 1-5 there are periods where Floyd doesn't throw punches and just keeps his gloves up without countering at all. It almost looked like he was helping McGregor as a sparring partner.

Reaction Score
Connor's power was there in the beginning. There were a couple body shots early that had a noticeable effect on Floyd. That being said, his conditioning was not even remotely close to that of a pro boxer and very quickly that power completely disappeared. Might as well have been watching Paulie throwing punches by the 6th.

I'll agree with that. You could see the snap on his punches for about 2 rounds, but even though Conor won round 3 you could tell the power had already greatly diminished. Still wasn't what you'd call devastating knockout power by boxing standards though.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Was talking w/wife about that this morning. Guy should follow the Rock and go hollywood. got the personality for it. If he's decent with money, he doesn't need to ever fight again.

If The Rock looked like McGregor, I doubt he'd have nearly as big of a following with the ladies.

Reaction Score

Mugging down your opponent after they've landed a shot on you is a common tactic in combat sports. Sometimes the smile is a sign of acknowledgment and respect that the opponent landed a good shot, but most often it's meant to convey an "Is that all you've got?" sentiment.

Reaction Score

Floyd has fought 50 professional boxing fights, he'd have to be gumby to never have been hit clean by somebody along the way. Floyd has shown an amazing chin on the rare occasion that somebody has caught him clean (the shot Mosley landed at the end of the 2nd round of their fight being probably the best example). Floyd is 50-0 because he had every boxing skill imaginable besides 1 shot knockout power.

Reaction Score
If The Rock looked like McGregor, I doubt he'd have nearly as big of a following with the ladies.
The Rock is, by all accounts, a great dude with a tremendous work ethic. While most women prefer a muscular man, however, many would pick a guy like CM because they don't want to walk around next to a giant roid guy.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
yup, which is what i tried to tell my dumb friend (big connor/ufc fan) before the fight and before i made a hundred bucks off him.

I watched the fight with MMA fans they were comedy.

Reaction Score
If you watch the fight you'll agree. McGregor's punches don't bother Floyd at all. His hands look incredibly slow compared to Mayweather's. It seems Mayweather could have just taken the punches and walked right through them rather than avoid them at all. Stunning difference in hand speed and power. Given Mayweather is clearly over the hill, it is even more surprising.

No way was Mayweather getting knocked out or even hurt by McGregor. I'm confident Floyd let him hang around, in rounds 1-5 there are periods where Floyd doesn't throw punches and just keeps his gloves up without countering at all. It almost looked like he was helping McGregor as a sparring partner.

it doesnt help Mayweather kept on turning his back to McGregor

Reaction Score
it doesnt help Mayweather kept on turning his back to McGregor
It was McGregor taking his back, he explained it post fight and said he actually burned too much energy doing it and wished he would have stopped sooner. Paulie was trying to explain it during the fight when he got into that little argument with Ranallo and Bernstein because McGregor kept doing it to him during sparring.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was McGregor taking his back, he explained it post fight and said he actually burned too much energy doing it and wished he would have stopped sooner. Paulie was trying to explain it during the fight when he got into that little argument with Ranallo and Bernstein because McGregor kept doing it to him during sparring.
It was actually exceptionally good footwork from McGregor. It was the only thing that impressed me from him in this fight, and explains to me anyways, how he runs through most UFC fighters. His footwork was high-level stuff, to get that positioning on Floyd. A fighter not as intelligent as Floyd may have turned right into a big left hand. Floyd, crafty as he is, would cover his face and leave the back of his head exposed where he clearly couldn't be hit.

Reaction Score
It was actually exceptionally good footwork from McGregor. It was the only thing that impressed me from him in this fight, and explains to me anyways, how he runs through most UFC fighters. His footwork was high-level stuff, to get that positioning on Floyd. A fighter not as intelligent as Floyd may have turned right into a big left hand. Floyd, crafty as he is, would cover his face and leave the back of his head exposed where he clearly couldn't be hit.

Yup, he has very fast and light feet, and switched stances and worked angles pretty well, he would have been better served trying to fire off from angles and off to the side ala Lomachenko/Orlando Canizales instead of going all the way to the back.

Reaction Score

Mauro honestly pissed me off during that exchange. Let the guy that's hired to be your in ring expert explain what is happening in the ring. The fact that a play by play guy was trying to scream over their expert analyst who was both a world class fighter fairly recently and who had experience sparring with the guy in question was a really bad look for Mauro, who's over the top alliterative style is already grating to me.

Reaction Score
Rob Parker is cancer but I can't lie I laughed out loud a bit when he described the fight (paraphrasing) "... first time in American history a black man has given a white man welfare"

Reaction Score
Rob Parker is cancer but I can't lie I laughed out loud a bit when he described the fight (paraphrasing) "... first time in American history a black man has given a white man welfare"
He changed McGregor's "bum life", for sure.

Reaction Score
He changed McGregor's "bum life", for sure.
Parker then went on to call Matt Stafford "Stat Pad-ford" on account of his record against teams with winning records, said Stafford is grossly overpaid, and that he would take Kaepernick over Stafford

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom