OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor

Reaction Score
I dont think so. I think McGregor came at him too fast and too hard and spent all his energy in the first 4 rounds. Watch the interview I just posted. McGregor said he was spending so much energy wrapping him up from the back bc he can do that in the MMA and continue to hit the guy but in boxing he can't so it was wasted. I watched the the fight in 2015 and this one was better by a large margin. I don't think the ref should've stopped it bc I think McGregor could've gone the distance, but Floyd came at him hard bc he saved his energy. Connor did very well
McGregor could have gone the distance? He was a few seconds from being out cold, the ref saved him.

Reaction Score
What about all your talk about how Floyd just runs and doesn't have any power? Floyd was the one coming forward and landing the harder shots.
Dude! He was fighting an amateur! He took 10 rounds to beat a guy fighting his 1st pro fight, and that guy won several rounds on the scorecards.
It's wonderful that you appear to think that the way the fight went last night corroborates your theories on boxing!
Took "the greatest fighter in our generation" 10 rounds to knock out an amateur who had about what? 90 days to learn how to box?
And this, you think, supports your point that FM punches hard?
Right - O.
The only chance CM ever had with 100 days to learn how to fight was the fact that FM is old. That's it. Wasn't enough. Mabye CM could beat FM if FM had another 3 or 4 years on him.
If anything, last night bolstered the MMA-fanboys' argument that the delta between boxers and mma for punching/boxing isn't as great as boxing-fanboys like you think it is.
But if you think this proves anything about FM other than his fighting days are probably over, then that's great. I'll help you celebrate our superiority when we beat Hartford during the first three weeks of the season.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
You are a maniac. Unless you have tons of 0's in your bank account, I guess. Being that close to putting down 10k on a gut decision when you have never gambled before is absolutely mad. I wouldn't say you "woosed out." More like, "accessed a tiny bit of your brainpower."
I've made some "educated" decisions in the stock market and lost my shirt at times, and that's using sheer logic and gathering all the facts. I'm a huge MMA guy and used to be a huge boxing fan. I just figured he'd come out and go berserk like Tyson in his prime when he overwhelmed guys who couldn't deal with his sheer aggression. Unfortunately, CM didn't come out with that kind of attack. After three rounds, he had no shot to win.

I don't know many investments that offer a chance to triple your money. Personally, I think the stock market is almost as risky which is why I no longer invest in individual stock. Like the guy in "Risky Business" said, "Sometimes you just gotta say, "What the Fuuuuk." Fortunately, I didn't this time and maybe never will again. Looking forward to Alvarez-Golovkin. Now that's a fight I'll pay to watch. Should be fight of the year. Edge to Golovkin but I wouldn't bet on it.......

Reaction Score
Dude! He was fighting an amateur! He took 10 rounds to beat a guy fighting his 1st pro fight, and that guy won several rounds on the scorecards.
It's wonderful that you appear to think that the way the fight went last night corroborates your theories on boxing!
Took "the greatest fighter in our generation" 10 rounds to knock out an amateur who had about what? 90 days to learn how to box?
Right - O.
The only chance CM ever had with 100 days to learn how to fight was the fact that FM is old. That's it. Wasn't enough. Mabye CM could beat FM if FM had another 3 or 4 years on him.
If anything, last night bolstered the MMA-fanboys' argument that the delta between boxers and mma for punching/boxing isn't as great as boxing-fanboys like you think it is.
But if you think this proves anything about FM other than his fighting days are probably over, then that's great. I'll help you celebrate our superiority when we beat Hartford during the first three weeks of the season.
Floyd looked old and fought a style he never fights, still won easily and didn't get a scratch on him though.

Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather: Scorecards from Vegas | Daily Mail Online

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This cracked me up.

If I was betting on this, I would have put an amount on Floyd to win straight up. Whatever the amount I would win on Floyd (Say a $250) I would spread that over some of the prop bets for bigger payoffs. That way, if Floyd won, regardless of all the variables, I'd at least be even, but hoping at least one prop bet paid off for a net profit.

Reaction Score
Right - O.

An amateur is someone with no experience in a given situation.

Mac was not what you should consider an amateur, but I think for his first fight, he did well.

If Mac wants to change careers, I think he could have success if he sticks with it.

I knew that he would eventually get frustrated, and that he would get tired trying to box Mayweather.

It was fun to watch. I think if Mac was 6'3 and 220lbs, he would be more suited to fight as a heavy weight.

Reaction Score
McGregor could have gone the distance? He was a few seconds from being out cold, the ref saved him.

I'm not sold on that. MMA fighters are used to taking a lot more punishment and if he hung onto til the bell, I definitely think there was a shot at him going the distance.

Reaction Score
CM was exhausted once it got to the 7-8th rounds and could barely stand at the end, and was easy prey for Floyd

Boxing is far more physically demanding than the MMA as proved last night. MMA can be more dangerous, but nowhere near as physically draining

I'm not sold on that. MMA fighters are used to taking a lot more punishment and if he hung onto til the bell, I definitely think there was a shot at him going the distance.

Reaction Score
I think it is easier to hang on while exhausted in MMA. I am no expert on either sport but it makes sense logically to me. The official is going to break up a clinch in boxing. Not so in MMA. Clinching seems like a good way to hang on, or at least to avoid a beatdown, especially while on the ground.

I posted in the middle of the 9th that 10 was going to be ugly. You would have to be blind to miss McGregor's exhaustion, and it was getting worse and worse every round. He stopped defending himself, he didn't even look to throw punches and he was wobbling in the ring. I have no doubt that he was a minute or less away from being KO'd in an embarrassing fashion.

Reaction Score
McGregor is extremely happy the ref saved him the punishment and embarrassment. There was 2 minutes left in the round.

Reaction Score
Embarrassing? Finding a way to contrive a $127M payday in a sport you have no experience in

I wonder if Floyd let this go longer just so we wouldn't wake up pissed like an old Rousey fight that we wasted $100+

CM & Dana White are geniuses for getting this fight done, Floyd got a huge payout, but did nothing to help his legacy

McGregor is extremely happy the ref saved him the punishment and embarrassment. There was 2 minutes left in the round.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Right - O.

This is why I think it was rigged, or at least Floyd knew the guy was no threat and held him up for multiple rounds. As an event, it was an unqualified success. As a sporting event, I'm skeptical it was on the up and up.

Reaction Score
Embarrassing? Finding a way to contrive a $127M payday in a sport you have no experience in

I wonder if Floyd let this go longer just so we wouldn't wake up pissed like an old Rousey fight that we wasted $100+

CM & Dana White are geniuses for getting this fight done, Floyd got a huge payout, but did nothing to help his legacy
He was out on his feet, ref saved him the embarrassment and head trauma of getting knocked out cold. I'm sure the ref was told before the fight to protect him in that sort of situation.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is why I think it was rigged, or at least Floyd knew the guy was no threat and held him up for multiple rounds. As an event, it was an unqualified success. As a sporting event, I'm skeptical it was on the up and up.

I won't say your hunch is wrong.

In my prediction post I figured Floyd would take a few rounds just to feel out McGregor, get his angles, range and timing. So, I figured a minimum of 3 rounds. Floyd realized he could take a shot (the uppercut in the first round) without being hurt and boxed as long as he needed knowing McGregor would get gassed.

This was more like a constrictor slowly squeezing its prey than a pit viper with a single bite.

Somewhere I told someone this "event" of ring entrances, intro, fight and winner's hand announced had to be at least 30 minutes for people to feel like they got their money's worth.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He was out on his feet, ref saved him the embarrassment and head trauma of getting knocked out cold. I'm sure the ref was told before the fight to protect him in that sort of situation.

Wouldn't be surprised if that little birdie chirping in the refs ear was from McGregor's camp either.

Reaction Score
Maybe. At that point they just cared about the $.

In the simplest sense I enjoyed this more than Floyd-Manny, which was a scam considering Manny had a torn rotator cuff and threw like 70% fewer punches than his average fight #.

And give Dana White credit for making a gimmick exhibition in a sense 100x bigger than Carmelo-GGG in a couple weeks.

Wouldn't be surprised if that little birdie chirping in the refs ear was from McGregor's camp either.

Reaction Score
Yea Cotto from last night would destroy him and would have no interest in carrying him for rounds like Mayweather did last night. If Cotto could withstand those Fight Night combos from Canelo at his advanced age he would have no issues walking down McGregor at will. I'd rather just see him return to MMA, he's my favorite fighter in that sport and there's a bunch of appealing matches to be made at 155 but no way is he going back to $2-$3M purses before ppv points so the UFC is gonna have to open up the vault to get him to come back.

That is the interesting question to me. Now that CM has tasted a mega-purse how does he go back to being happy with paydays 1/10 the size? We know UFC won't break the ban for anyone.

Reaction Score
That is the interesting question to me. Now that CM has tasted a mega-purse how does he go back to being happy with paydays 1/10 the size? .
Totally agree. Was talking w/wife about that this morning. Guy should follow the Rock and go hollywood. got the personality for it. If he's decent with money, he doesn't need to ever fight again.

Reaction Score
He was out on his feet, ref saved him the embarrassment and head trauma of getting knocked out cold.
No doubt at all you're correct. Anybody who thought it shouldn't have been stopped was watching a different fight than me. It was well over before the ref stopped it. CM was done on both the cardio/body damage level and on the no chance of winning level.

Reaction Score
That is the interesting question to me. Now that CM has tasted a mega-purse how does he go back to being happy with paydays 1/10 the size? We know UFC won't break the ban for anyone.
I think with the situation they're in they are definitely gonna have to break the bank for him, especially since there will be more eyes on him and more ppv buys if he does return to defend his belt. Recent UFC ppv sales have been lackluster, they already lost Ronda, Jon Jones will probably be facing a long term ban and they have no other stars that can attract the casual fan developing on the horizon, after how much WME-IMG paid in that deal they need a star bad and Conor is their only hope.

Reaction Score
I think with the situation they're in they are definitely gonna have to break the bank for him, especially since there will be more eyes on him and more ppv buys if he does return to defend his belt. Recent UFC ppv sales have been lackluster, they already lost Ronda, Jon Jones will probably be facing a long term ban and they have no other stars that can attract the casual fan developing on the horizon, after how much WME-IMG paid in that deal they need a star bad and Conor is their only hope.

I agree with you, but the UFC has always been careful to make ssure their big stars never get too much leverage. They have also are remarkable at making new main attractions.

Reaction Score
No doubt at all you're correct. Anybody who thought it shouldn't have been stopped was watching a different fight than me. It was well over before the ref stopped it. CM was done on both the cardio/body damage level and on the no chance of winning level.
If there was 30 seconds left, maybe you see if he can weather the storm. There was 1:45 left in that round that was going to be filled with McGregor blocking power punches with his face. It was 100% the right decision to stop the fight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom