OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor

Reaction Score
PPV may have brought in good money, but gate receipts couldn't have been very good. This is pathetic.

These big fights rarely have people in their seats for the undercard. It's about rich people and celebs being able to say they were there or be seen there, not that the whole lower section was full of passionate boxing fans.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So my question for more seasoned boxing fans - did Mayweather look washed? Does McGregor look like he could hang with an upper tier prime fighter? He definitely surprised me in the early rounds but I do realize that it can be difficult to distinguish clean hits. His compubox stats were better than I expected but clearly not impressive.

Go look at weigh in pictured. McGregor's arms, especially his triceps were huge compared to Mayweather. Mayweather was much thicker across chest.

Mayweather is built like a boxer, McGregor not as much. Over 10 rounds where every inch of protection and coverage matters that extra weight takes a toll.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Mayweather at least acknowledge McGregor did far better in boxing than he would in MMA. Unless McGregor seriously needed the money, he deserves great credit for taking on the challenge. There aren't many top boxers who would do the same.
You're looking at it wrong. Ufc guys have been calling mayweather out by name for years cause they felt he was dismissive of their sport ever overtaking boxing. MMA only fans actually believed Ronda Rousey could beat floyd.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So, not seeing the fight, but looking how fresh and unbothered Mayweather looked, and even how fresh Mac looked I have to ask those that did watch it, was this fixed to hold Mac up for long enough to avoid upsetting the PPV audience after the last two major events were duds.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I am one happy man today. I registered with an on-line betting website and was planning on putting $1000 on CM by KO hoping to catch lightening in a bottle. I entered $1000 in and it showed me the payout would be $3250. Ok, a nice payout and if I lost, I'm out a grand but it's not gonna break me. Then I added a zero and saw that a $10k bet would be a payout of $32,500. Now that's some serious game changing money right there and I happened to have $10k to do it. I was THAT close to pulling the trigger and putting up the $10K on CM by KO. I just had a strong gut feeling that FM was underestimating him and CM would come out like a man possessed and stop him early. When I woosed out and decided not to bet, I didn't even end up watching the fight because I couldn't take it if CM knocked FM out and I was that close to making $22.5k. I've never gambled before but it's easy to see how guys can get in over their heads with this stuff. Thank God I didn't lay the $10k!!! So much for the trust your gut thing because my gut was telling me to go for it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So, not seeing the fight, but looking how fresh and unbothered Mayweather looked, and even how fresh Mac looked I have to ask those that did watch it, was this fixed to hold Mac up for long enough to avoid upsetting the PPV audience after the last two major events were duds.
I dont think so. I think McGregor came at him too fast and too hard and spent all his energy in the first 4 rounds. Watch the interview I just posted. McGregor said he was spending so much energy wrapping him up from the back bc he can do that in the MMA and continue to hit the guy but in boxing he can't so it was wasted. I watched the the fight in 2015 and this one was better by a large margin. I don't think the ref should've stopped it bc I think McGregor could've gone the distance, but Floyd came at him hard bc he saved his energy. Connor did very well

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I am one happy man today. I registered with an on-line betting website and was planning on putting $1000 on CM by KO hoping to catch lightening in a bottle. I entered $1000 in and it showed me the payout would be $3250. Ok, a nice payout and if I lost, I'm out a grand but it's not gonna break me. Then I added a zero and saw that a $10k bet would be a payout of $32,500. Now that's some serious game changing money right there and I happened to have $10k to do it. I was THAT close to pulling the trigger and putting up the $10K on CM by KO. I just had a strong gut feeling that FM was underestimating him and CM would come out like a man possessed and stop him early. When I woosed out and decided not to bet, I didn't even end up watching the fight because I couldn't take it if CM knocked FM out and I was that close to making $22.5k. I've never gambled before but it's easy to see how guys can get in over their heads with this stuff. Thank God I didn't lay the $10k!!! So much for the trust your gut thing because my gut was telling me to go for it.
It might have been in the 6th or 7th but McGregor threw two punches that would've KO Floyd but missed by an inch

Reaction Score

You are a maniac. Unless you have tons of 0's in your bank account, I guess. Being that close to putting down 10k on a gut decision when you have never gambled before is absolutely mad. I wouldn't say you "woosed out." More like, "accessed a tiny bit of your brainpower."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It might have been in the 6th or 7th but McGregor threw two punches that would've KO Floyd but missed by an inch
He does not have one punch KO boxing power, the uppercut that he landed in the 1st round didn't even move Floyd and he was about 170lbs while Floyd was around 150. If a real junior middleweight landed that shot on a lunging Floyd(although Floyd wouldn't have been lunging off balance like that against a legit boxer) Floyd would be in the hospital. He doesn't throw his punches sharply and with the right kind of snap in the boxing realm, they are more slapping and pushed out.

Reaction Score
McGregor is a funny guy but interesting to listen to his analysis in all his post game pressers. Smart guy think he could be decent if elected to stay on the boxing side but better off not losing the name he has in his own game.

Reaction Score
I have to imagine McGregor will fight at least once more in the boxing ring. Or at least he will want to. His highest purse in the MMA was 3.5 m, or something in that realm. Are there any good candidates who are on the older side, maybe somewhat washed who would bring in a big crowd? Would a guy like Cotto pulverize him?

Reaction Score
He does not have one punch KO boxing power, the uppercut that he landed in the 1st round didn't even move Floyd and he was about 170lbs while Floyd was around 150. If a real junior middleweight landed that shot on a lunging Floyd(although Floyd wouldn't have been lunging off balance like that against a legit boxer) Floyd would be in the hospital. He doesn't throw his punches sharply and with the right kind of snap in the boxing realm, they are more slapping and pushed out.
This IJS what i said in this thread after the paulie sparring came out. Those were slaps. He throws one legit boxing wise, the left cross, and it isn't close to one punch ko power in boxing.

He is marketing genius. He got a 100 million dollar payday with his mouth, not his skills. He got walked down by man 3-4, weight classes down on fight night.

Reaction Score
I have to imagine McGregor will fight at least once more in the boxing ring. Or at least he will want to. His highest purse in the MMA was 3.5 m, or something in that realm. Are there any good candidates who are on the older side, maybe somewhat washed who would bring in a big crowd? Would a guy like Cotto pulverize him?
The fight in boxing is Paulie Malinaggi. In shape Pauline beats him as well.

Reaction Score
I dont think so. I think McGregor came at him too fast and too hard and spent all his energy in the first 4 rounds. Watch the interview I just posted. McGregor said he was spending so much energy wrapping him up from the back bc he can do that in the MMA and continue to hit the guy but in boxing he can't so it was wasted. I watched the the fight in 2015 and this one was better by a large margin. I don't think the ref should've stopped it bc I think McGregor could've gone the distance, but Floyd came at him hard bc he saved his energy. Connor did very well

Ref did the right thing. Go back and watch the last 30 seconds. CM not only failed to throw a punch, he wasn't even defending himself. A man who is highly skilled at hitting people was popping at will. CM being a very tough guy might have stayed on his feet or gone down and gotten up, but his tank was empty. That is how we end up with brain traumas in boxing.

Reaction Score
Doesn't that speak more mma guys in abilities to take shots? He was 20lbs heavier and got walked down all night. Floyd ate his shots, smiled, and walked forward ALL NIGHT. McGregor fought well but there was huge difference in the snap of the two guys punches.
You said "one punch power" and I provided a solid example. All these guys hit hard - McGregor was gassed and isn't a boxer, going against one of the best. I have respect for all disciplines of fighting as I prefer to never be punched anywhere by anyone.

Reaction Score
Only a crazy, Afflication shirt-wearing, Monster drinking muscle head would lay $10k on a guy who never fought an actual fight before

It really wasn't as close as people think. Floyd toyed first few rounds and dominated after. I wish they would have allowed a KO

Both guys are hugely unlikeable, but can't fault them for marketing this and getting a huge payday

Reaction Score
Only a crazy, Afflication shirt-wearing, Monster drinking muscle head would lay $10k on a guy who never fought an actual fight before

It really wasn't as close as people think. Floyd toyed first few rounds and dominated after. I wish they would have allowed a KO

Both guys are hugely unlikeable, but can't fault them for marketing this and getting a huge payday

Amazing to hear anyone could be "hugely unlikeable" to you JSM, wow.:eek:

Reaction Score
You said "one punch power" and I provided a solid example. All these guys hit hard - McGregor was gassed and isn't a boxer, going against one of the best. I have respect for all disciplines of fighting as I prefer to never be punched anywhere by anyone.
I agree, my comment was more of his supposed ko power translating to boxing. Not even close. Boxers landing with those mma gloves would be lethal. It's more about the weight transfer on the punches. MMA guys can't train to commit to punches like that because of the leg kicks and takedowns.

Reaction Score
Yea Cotto from last night would destroy him and would have no interest in carrying him for rounds like Mayweather did last night. If Cotto could withstand those Fight Night combos from Canelo at his advanced age he would have no issues walking down McGregor at will. I'd rather just see him return to MMA, he's my favorite fighter in that sport and there's a bunch of appealing matches to be made at 155 but no way is he going back to $2-$3M purses before ppv points so the UFC is gonna have to open up the vault to get him to come back.

Reaction Score
Yes but in a boxing ring and with boxing mitts on, he doesn't have one punch power. That was the biggest surprise for me is the punches he was solidly landing, even at the beginning, just weren't doing much to Floyd. His power was subpar for boxing

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom