OT: Mariano gets 100% HOF votes??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Mariano gets 100% HOF votes???

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You clearly know your baseball and I agree with pretty much everything but I agree with the other guys Yaz and Mantle shouldn't be grouped in together. Yaz can possibly be a second tier, seems like pushing it but Mantle is a first tier guy.

Yaz is obviously better than Harold Baines. It's a joke Baines made the Hall and that's coming from someone who really likes him.
Solid position. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
You clearly know your baseball and I agree with pretty much everything but I agree with the other guys Yaz and Mantle shouldn't be grouped in together. Yaz can possibly be a second tier, seems like pushing it but Mantle is a first tier guy.

Yaz is obviously better than Harold Baines. It's a joke Baines made the Hall and that's coming from someone who really likes him.

The point I was trying to make is the one you just made. Yaz isn’t a notch below Gehrig and Willie Mays. He’s closer to Baines than he is to Mays....and yes, Mantle is not his peer.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The point I was trying to make is the one you just made. Yaz isn’t a notch below Gehrig and Willie Mays. He’s closer to Baines than he is to Mays....and yes, Mantle is not his peer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I grew up in a National League Yankee-hating family and was raised a Mets fan. But when we were pre-teens and playing whiffle ball in the back yard, almost every kid wanted to be Mantle. One kid wanted to be Yaz because he held his bat high and straight up. But that kid was a bit off and became a juvie.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My mom grew up a huge Mantle fan. She used to curse out Billy Martin because she thinks Billy turned him on to the sauce.

I think Mantle gets short changed some times especially with the modern steroid era numbers. He was a switch hitter who had Ruthian like reputation for hitting the ball long and far.

3 MVP's, 3 second place finishes, a third place and two fifth place.

Mickey Mantle Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

His career power numbers are still top flight.

And as a lifelong Sox fan, Yaz isn't anywhere near the Mick.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
99c19bb0a5193bf752f99aecccd7dcbe--life-images-life-pictures.jpg

If he'd had two good legs, he would've hit 600+ easily. And got those two extra points for a .300 career BA.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
99c19bb0a5193bf752f99aecccd7dcbe--life-images-life-pictures.jpg

If he'd had two good legs, he would've hit 600+ easily. And got those two extra points for a .300 career BA.

I know there were a bunch of players affected by WWII, but I was looking at Mantle and comparing it to Ted Williams.

Look at the two years preceding WWII and the four years after Williams' service. It's not a stretch to say he would have gone over 3k hits, 2k runs and been somewhere between 625-650 HR's. Six straight years of leading the league in walks, OBP, SLG and stands to reason OPS. Add in 4 batting championships (the two years he didn't win, he batted .344 and .342).

For his career he had one season where his OPS was below 1.000.

1548648328349.png

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
My mom grew up a huge Mantle fan. She used to curse out Billy Martin because she thinks Billy turned him on to the sauce.

I think Mantle gets short changed some times especially with the modern steroid era numbers. He was a switch hitter who had Ruthian like reputation for hitting the ball long and far.

3 MVP's, 3 second place finishes, a third place and two fifth place.

Mickey Mantle Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

His career power numbers are still top flight.

And as a lifelong Sox fan, Yaz isn't anywhere near the Mick.

Mantle also won the Triple Crown in 1956 - .353 BA, 52 HRs, 130 RBI's.

Reaction Score
I know there were a bunch of players affected by WWII, but I was looking at Mantle and comparing it to Ted Williams.

Look at the two years preceding WWII and the four years after Williams' service. It's not a stretch to say he would have gone over 3k hits, 2k runs and been somewhere between 625-650 HR's. Six straight years of leading the league in walks, OBP, SLG and stands to reason OPS. Add in 4 batting championships (the two years he didn't win, he batted .344 and .342).

For his career he had one season where his OPS was below 1.000.

View attachment 38823

Yeah, and put Ted Williams -dead pull hitter- in Yankee Stadium and he's chasing 714. Notce his low numbers in 1952/1953? He was recalled into the service to fly jets in Korea, that's another 200+ games (two years) he missed because of military service.

BTW, who are the idiots that didn't vote for Babe Ruth for the HOF?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just stumbled on to this old article. Bill James declaring his best 5 players in any given season up to 2003. Yaz is tops twice. Long Read Alert - but I like this kind of stuff.

Reaction Score
Deepster lost this argument when he tried to compare career numbers in different eras.

Reaction Score
Deepster lost this argument when he tried to compare career numbers in different eras.

My argument was that Yaz is not as highly ranked as the OP stated. And I am/was right on that.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Deepster lost this argument when he tried to compare career numbers in different eras clicked "Post Reply."
FIFY

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah, and put Ted Williams -dead pull hitter- in Yankee Stadium and he's chasing 714. Notce his low numbers in 1952/1953? He was recalled into the service to fly jets in Korea, that's another 200+ games (two years) he missed because of military service.

BTW, who are the idiots that didn't vote for Babe Ruth for the HOF?
Ruth should be so lucky to be mentioned with the likes of Harold Baines. :eek:

Reaction Score
Then you can use WAR. Mantle average 7 WAR per 150 games. Yaz average 4.3 WAR per 150 games. It's not close.

Reaction Score
Then you can use WAR. Mantle average 7 WAR per 150 games. Yaz average 4.3 WAR per 150 games. It's not close.

Don’t even need WAR but look at that. I respect Yaz solid player for sure but you can’t be serious to even think he and #7 are close to the same level. As pointed out if they had today’s technology to repair his knee he may have been in an argument for the best ever based on his 5 tool abilities.

Reaction Score
Don’t even need WAR but look at that. I respect Yaz solid player for sure but you can’t be serious to even think he and #7 are close to the same level. As pointed out if they had today’s technology to repair his knee he may have been in an argument for the best ever based on his 5 tool abilities.

Did I miss it? Did someone say Yaz was equal to Mantle?

Husky25

Reaction Score
No, but apparently heaven forbid that I classified him as a Tier 2 HoFer along with Mantle. I never necessarily said they were "equal," per se. Heck, I never even referred to Mantle, let alone mention him, after post #11, my first in this thread.

The implication was that if space in the Hall of Fame were limited (which it isn't) and the Veterans Committee (or BBWAA, for that matter) want to vote in a player of Harold Baines' ilk, they would be forced to vote out a player to be replaced. Players in the top two tiers were safe from relegation and personally, I included both Yaz and Mantle in that second tier. I think 1st ballot Hall of Famers garnering nearly 95% of the votes earn that consideration.

Reaction Score

They probably said it was close I’m now reading backwards you can if you wish. It’s not close is all I’m saying although I did use “equal” in error.

Reaction Score
No, but apparently heaven forbid that I classified him as a Tier 2 HoFer along with Mantle. I never necessarily said they were "equal," per se. Heck, I never even referred to Mantle, let alone mention him, after post #11, my first in this thread.

The implication was that if space in the Hall of Fame were limited (which it isn't) and the Veterans Committee (or BBWAA, for that matter) want to vote in a player of Harold Baines' ilk, they would be forced to vote out a player to be replaced. Players in the top two tiers were safe from relegation and personally, I included both Yaz and Mantle in that second tier. I think 1st ballot Hall of Famers garnering nearly 95% of the votes earn that consideration.

Good explanation, though I think it's pretty clear that, in your paradigm, Mantle is one of those tier 2 hall of famers that is right on the cusp of the first tier, if not in it. Yaz would likely be in the bottom of tier 2.

That people interpreted that as some statement that Yaz was Mantle's peer is more a reflection on them . . . particularly those who would resurrect a 4 month-old thread to argue against something nobody was saying.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Good explanation, though I think it's pretty clear that, in your paradigm, Mantle is one of those tier 2 hall of famers that is right on the cusp of the first tier, if not in it. Yaz would likely be in the bottom of tier 2.

That people interpreted that as some statement that Yaz was Mantle's peer is more a reflection on them . . . particularly those who would resurrect a 4 month-old thread to argue against something nobody was saying.
In fairness, when compared to Harold Baines, I did say that Yaz was closer to legendary than to someone for whom one would merely buy a ticket.

Alas, I think your second paragraph is spot on.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
While I'm a big advanced stats guy, part of me continues to think that part of the criteria for HoF inclusion is, "Is this a guy I'd buy a ticket to go see?" And I'll buy a ticket to see generational talents regardless what team they're on - which is pretty much the only good thing about interleague play. Still waiting to see Mike Trout at PNC Park as I was out of town the only time he visited here.

Rivero isn't a guy I'd buy a ticket for (and I'd say the same for any reliever). Heck, you wouldn't know in advance if he was even going to get in the game.

Except for playoff games...

And he wasn't just good, he was off the charts good. Go find someone who's pitched that many innings with that low of an ERA.

Him giving up a run or losing a game was national news. It's not like we are talking about Lee Smith.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Open a Mariano Rivera thread and people arguing Mantle, Yaz and Baines, with a bit of Williams. Weird.
Mantle > Yaz > Baines. The HoF should cut off before Baines. He doesn't belong at all. Yaz is solidly in.

Meanwhile, as a Sox fan...let me give the Wayne's World "we're not worthy" salute to Rivera. Superb player. Class act. Possibly my all time favorite Yankee along with Mattingly. Nothing bad to say about the guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom