OT: Mariano gets 100% HOF votes???

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
You clearly know your baseball and I agree with pretty much everything but I agree with the other guys Yaz and Mantle shouldn't be grouped in together. Yaz can possibly be a second tier, seems like pushing it but Mantle is a first tier guy.

Yaz is obviously better than Harold Baines. It's a joke Baines made the Hall and that's coming from someone who really likes him.
Solid position. Thanks for sharing.

You clearly know your baseball and I agree with pretty much everything but I agree with the other guys Yaz and Mantle shouldn't be grouped in together. Yaz can possibly be a second tier, seems like pushing it but Mantle is a first tier guy.

Yaz is obviously better than Harold Baines. It's a joke Baines made the Hall and that's coming from someone who really likes him.
The point I was trying to make is the one you just made. Yaz isn’t a notch below Gehrig and Willie Mays. He’s closer to Baines than he is to Mays....and yes, Mantle is not his peer.

Husky25

The point I was trying to make is the one you just made. Yaz isn’t a notch below Gehrig and Willie Mays. He’s closer to Baines than he is to Mays....and yes, Mantle is not his peer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
I grew up in a National League Yankee-hating family and was raised a Mets fan. But when we were pre-teens and playing whiffle ball in the back yard, almost every kid wanted to be Mantle. One kid wanted to be Yaz because he held his bat high and straight up. But that kid was a bit off and became a juvie.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
My mom grew up a huge Mantle fan. She used to curse out Billy Martin because she thinks Billy turned him on to the sauce.

I think Mantle gets short changed some times especially with the modern steroid era numbers. He was a switch hitter who had Ruthian like reputation for hitting the ball long and far.

3 MVP's, 3 second place finishes, a third place and two fifth place.

Mickey Mantle Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

His career power numbers are still top flight.

And as a lifelong Sox fan, Yaz isn't anywhere near the Mick.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love

If he'd had two good legs, he would've hit 600+ easily. And got those two extra points for a .300 career BA.

I know there were a bunch of players affected by WWII, but I was looking at Mantle and comparing it to Ted Williams.

Look at the two years preceding WWII and the four years after Williams' service. It's not a stretch to say he would have gone over 3k hits, 2k runs and been somewhere between 625-650 HR's. Six straight years of leading the league in walks, OBP, SLG and stands to reason OPS. Add in 4 batting championships (the two years he didn't win, he batted .344 and .342).

For his career he had one season where his OPS was below 1.000.

1548648328349.png

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
My mom grew up a huge Mantle fan. She used to curse out Billy Martin because she thinks Billy turned him on to the sauce.

I think Mantle gets short changed some times especially with the modern steroid era numbers. He was a switch hitter who had Ruthian like reputation for hitting the ball long and far.

3 MVP's, 3 second place finishes, a third place and two fifth place.

Mickey Mantle Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

His career power numbers are still top flight.

And as a lifelong Sox fan, Yaz isn't anywhere near the Mick.
Mantle also won the Triple Crown in 1956 - .353 BA, 52 HRs, 130 RBI's.

I know there were a bunch of players affected by WWII, but I was looking at Mantle and comparing it to Ted Williams.

Look at the two years preceding WWII and the four years after Williams' service. It's not a stretch to say he would have gone over 3k hits, 2k runs and been somewhere between 625-650 HR's. Six straight years of leading the league in walks, OBP, SLG and stands to reason OPS. Add in 4 batting championships (the two years he didn't win, he batted .344 and .342).

For his career he had one season where his OPS was below 1.000.

View attachment 38823
Yeah, and put Ted Williams -dead pull hitter- in Yankee Stadium and he's chasing 714. Notce his low numbers in 1952/1953? He was recalled into the service to fly jets in Korea, that's another 200+ games (two years) he missed because of military service.

BTW, who are the idiots that didn't vote for Babe Ruth for the HOF?

Husky25

Yeah, and put Ted Williams -dead pull hitter- in Yankee Stadium and he's chasing 714. Notce his low numbers in 1952/1953? He was recalled into the service to fly jets in Korea, that's another 200+ games (two years) he missed because of military service.

BTW, who are the idiots that didn't vote for Babe Ruth for the HOF?
Ruth should be so lucky to be mentioned with the likes of Harold Baines. :eek: