OT: Mariano gets 100% HOF votes??? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Mariano gets 100% HOF votes???

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Worst MLB Hall of Famers

I apologize in advance for posting a slideshow, but this link is Exhibit A for the argument to perhaps disband the Veterans Committee. At the very least, their influence should be drastically curtailed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The horses at Saratoga are starting a couple weeks earlier than before this year. So of course the new opening day is a tribute to Mariano Rivera.

Reaction Score
The horses at Saratoga are starting a couple weeks earlier than before this year. So of course the new opening day is a tribute to Mariano Rivera.

Saratoga should always open earlier in the summer because its a great boost to the Capitol region and who really wants to spend a hot, steamy, summer day, at Belmont in the City.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Belmont is not in The City. It's on Long Island. I've only been there for Stakes day (both for Triple Crown threats and not), but the way I see it, Belmont Park doesn't have the intimacy of Saratoga. It's like every day is family day at Saratoga and the short season gives it an air of exclusivity.

You can fit 2 or 3 Saratogas in Belmont. For Triple Crown threats, the place holds upwards of 120k (not since they've capped it in recent years, but I was there for the Smarty Jones race.). If it's raining, it's a complete #2-show and that is exactly what happened for the Big Brown race day, if I recall the year correctly. It didn't rain that year, but it was Hades hot. The plumbing failed and 110K were lining up for the port-a-potties with no way to wash up. If there is not a Triple Crown threat, it still caters to about 60,000, but the grandstands feels empty and cavernous by comparison.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Belmont isn't Saratoga and it's obsolete as a spectator facility but I still love it. I like that it's huge. You can still picnic in the back. And I love that a seat in the grandstand that costs $40 at Saratoga is GA at Belmont.

Reaction Score
Belmont isn't Saratoga and it's obsolete as a spectator facility but I still love it. I like that it's huge. You can still picnic in the back. And I love that a seat in the grandstand that costs $40 at Saratoga is GA at Belmont.

Never been to Belmont; but, went to Saratoga 2 or 3 times a summer when I was young. My family woudl go with a few other families that had kids my age and would picnic in the back. The men brought a lot of beer, which, when we got older, we would try to liberate a few. One of my friend's Mom was old-school Itallian, so you can imagine the food. We would run around, bet $2 on the ponies and have fun. Plus, a lot of high school and college girls worked the conession stands, which proided some distractions (and a lost race or two). Sometimes, we would get offrered tickets for the grandstand from folks on their way out who were leaving early. I also knew a guy from the lake who was also old-school Italian and bet more on 1 race than we would the entire summer. He had an 'in' and would take us inside to talk to the jockies and see the horses before the walked out.

Reaction Score
Omar Vizquel deserved to get in, anyone else agree? That guy was a defensive wizard! Maybe next year.

Who are some of the biggest HOF snubs?
In my opinion Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton, Bill Buckner, Vada Pinson (before my time), Gary Sheffield and, jeff Kent and fred "crimedog" McGriff deserve to be in. (I am and, I think always will be, on the fence about people like Bonds, Rose, Clemens, Palmeiro, Sosa, etc. but part of me thinks they should be in too, maybe with an *)

In my opinion when the time comes, all of these players should be first ballot: Albert Pujols, Ichiro Suzuki, Adrian Beltre, Miguel Cabrera. Though we still have many years to wait for all, anyone agree with all four deserving to get in on their first ballot?

Reaction Score
In my opinion when the time comes, all of these players should be first ballot: Albert Pujols, Ichiro Suzuki, Adrian Beltre, Miguel Cabrera. Though we still have many years to wait for all, anyone agree with all four deserving to get in on their first ballot?

I don't think you'll get much argument on this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom