OT: Lions vs Cowboys | The Boneyard

OT: Lions vs Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
The refs... the refs... the refssss...
Sorry had to express my frustration somewhere and Im a fan of neither. But come on multiple bad calls there.. You can say it happens in all games but you dont pick up a flag........

Reaction Score
Yeah, that was strange. Pass interference flag justly thrown, and then announced. And then picked up.

But, still, the Lions should have gone for it 4th and 1. They were in Dallas territory, and their defense had started to bend (it had been good all night). Were it not for some stupid Romo decisions, Dallas would have already taken the lead. Try to score, or keep them off the field longer.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Haha yea terrible ending and just so confusing to how the punter shanks that kick.... Out of all the kickers in the world and these are the best?

Reaction Score
When you see a call like that it almost makes you think the NFL's head of officiating hangs out on a party bus with the Cowboys' ownership. I mean that would be crazy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When you see calls like that you have to wonder..........
I can see not throwing a flag but to pick it up like that???
I am far from a rules expert in the NFL BUT you hear all year that the defender cannot have their head/eyes away from the play, back turned and then impede the ability to catch.
I also notice the increase in allowing the "legs to get entangled" without a call. They go out of the way to protect the offensive players except the new "no force out of bounds" when pushed out catching a ball when in reality if you came down naturally you would be in playing field.
The take back interference call today is suspicious to say the least

Reaction Score
Yeah, that was strange. Pass interference flag justly thrown, and then announced. And then picked up.

But, still, the Lions should have gone for it 4th and 1. They were in Dallas territory, and their defense had started to bend (it had been good all night). Were it not for some stupid Romo decisions, Dallas would have already taken the lead. Try to score, or keep them off the field longer.

Yes they should have gone for it.

"The Call"----they should keep officiating teams together, rather than breaking crews up in the post-season and assigning them piecemeal on "merit".

FWIW----I am not exactly in the dumps seeing the dirtiest team in football bite the dust.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was a f---ed play all the way around.

It was pass interference. It was also never, ever going to be a completed pass. Just a terrible throw that was a pick if the defender turns his head.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If I were a Detroit fan I would be beyond furious at not only that, but the number of times the Dallas O line was allowed to tackle guys before they could get to Romo with no call. Saw at least 3 of those. The announcers even commented on a couple. I just don't know how you pick up a flag after you've talked about, announced it and moved the ball. The announcers and rules expert were all astonished.

I don't know if there's a conspiracy theory or just really bad officiating, but in either case, Detroit was robbed of a chance to settle it 11 on 11.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
In the first half the Lions had a bunch of calls go their way. It all evens out in the end. Football is always going to have some subjectivity involved; they can call holding every play if they wanted to. Cowboys badly outplayed the lions in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
The refs... the refs... the refssss...
Sorry had to express my frustration somewhere and Im a fan of neither. But come on multiple bad calls there.. You can say it happens in all games but you dont pick up a flag...

Apparently you do.

Reaction Score
It was a f---ed play all the way around.

It was pass interference. It was also never, ever going to be a completed pass. Just a terrible throw that was a pick if the defender turns his head.

There are several of these throws per game. It seems offensive players are coached to chuck it down field and hope for the flag. The Ravens, under Flacco for instance, have gained more yards per DPI than any other team in the NFL using this method.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
In the first half the Lions had a bunch of calls go their way. It all evens out in the end. Football is always going to have some subjectivity involved; they can call holding every play if they wanted to. Cowboys badly outplayed the lions in the 2nd half.
There are always going to be calls that can go either way, that one was just over the top blown after being called and announced correctly. It's also a lot easier to overcome a bad call in the first half than in the 4th quarter.

You are correct that the Cowboys outplayed them in the second half, but there are 60 minutes for a reason. I don't know if Detroit wins it even with the call, they were bending bad on D. They may have only gotten 3 out of it and lost by 1, but it changes everything. You defend differently when a field goal doesn't tie it.

It was just such an odd change in the call so late that it raises an eyebrow. Plus it was clearly PI. It wasn't like they cleaned up a bad call.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There are several of these throws per game. It seems offensive players are coached to chuck it down field and hope for the flag. The Ravens, under Flacco for instance, have gained more yards per DPI than any other team in the NFL using this method.

True.

Makes me crazy that the underthrown pass is now a weapon. Eli Manning seems to excel at it.

But this was just a plain bad pass.

Reaction Score
Could have, should have, would have. Lions sucked just before and after that crappy call/non-call. Who knows if it would have produced points that would have swayed the game?? They certainly couldn't do much right in the 4th qtr and valid penalties on them were getting out of control fast.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
FourRings said:
Could have, should have, would have. Lions sucked just before and after that crappy call/non-call. Who knows if it would have produced points that would have swayed the game?? They certainly couldn't do much right in the 4th qtr and valid penalties on them were getting out of control fast.
They were driving down the field there. There would be no controversy or at least nothing close if they simply didn't throw the flag but they did and here we are. Imo was a DPI and refs blew it by picking up the flag.

Reaction Score
They were driving down the field there. There would be no controversy or at least nothing close if they simply didn't throw the flag but they did and here we are. Imo was a DPI and refs blew it by picking up the flag.

Agreed. But my point is that they were driving down the field again and had lots of other chances that they couldn't get it done. Two sacks where Stafford fumbles in crucial minutes and many other valid penalties cost the Lions the game. They couldn't do anything right late in the 4th when it counted. Kinda like the Cowboys in nearly every Dec or playoff game in the last ten years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But, still, the Lions should have gone for it 4th and 1. They were in Dallas territory, and their defense had started to bend (it had been good all night).

Bingo. That was the call that killed Detroit.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
Bingo. That was the call that killed Detroit.

Agreed. You HAVE to trust you bruising back to pick up 1 stinking yard.

Reaction Score
I will have to hear from my Cowboy buddies how Romo got redemption. That's funny he looked pretty awful mostly but the same fans who have called him "homo" for years in December will be waving their Romo pom poms all week. The Packers can't score enough points for my liking next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom