OT: Lions vs Cowboys | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Lions vs Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bingo. That was the call that killed Detroit.
Most NFL coaches are so absurdly conservative in their play-calling. It's as if they didn't realize that all the rules now favor the offense. Not only do you have a great chance of getting 1 yard in 1 play, but you also don't have a great chance of stopping the opposing offense from getting into field goal range (it was a 3 point game), even if you backed them down.

Rules have changed, the math on when to go for it on 4th down should have changed a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Most NFL coaches are so absurdly conservative in their play-calling. It's as if they didn't realize that all the rules now favor the offense. Not only do you have a great chance of getting 1 yard in 1 play, but you also don't have a great chance of stopping the opposing offense from getting into field goal range (it was a 3 point game), even if you backed them down.

Rules have changed, the math on when to go for it on 4th down should have changed a long time ago.

Worked out well, they got that booming 10 yard punt didn't they?:eek: Wonder if the doctors have removed that huge MacIntosh apple from the punters throat successfully?

Reaction Score
Could this be the NFL's way of penalizing Ndamukong Suh? I don't believe this is the case but in a way it is crueler the a one game suspension. BTW, I don't care for either team. Just a mythical observation.

Reaction Score
I have some friends moaning on Facebook that they are starting to think all sports are fixed. I laughed - said they can't all be fixed, since Emmert runs the NCAA and we won both hoops titles. Brimah would have been called for traveling if Emmert had any influence, not gotten a call for a low body bump.

Reaction Score
It's not fixed but we do know the NFL is real happy "America's team" is still playing and the NCAA was real happy the "voters" got Ohio State in.;)

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'm a long-suffering Lions fan and I was so incensed at the flag pick-up that I was beyond words or actions. All I could do was stare in disbelief.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was also a blatant holding call on the 3rd down play right before the TD unless OL are allowed to block by putting a defensive end in a headlock.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
In the first half the Lions had a bunch of calls go their way. It all evens out in the end. Football is always going to have some subjectivity involved; they can call holding every play if they wanted to. Cowboys badly outplayed the lions in the 2nd half.

Okay Cowboy fan.

Detroit should have had the ball on the 34 yard line and then Dez should have been called for a 15 yard penalty and the ball should have been inside the 20 yard line.

Those officials should not officiate another game this post season.

Reaction Score
There was also a blatant holding call on the 3rd down play right before the TD unless OL are allowed to block by putting a defensive end in a headlock.

Was that the one we all saw when they were showing the replay of a penalty on the d-back? Saw that too, it was right in front of the ref too.

Reaction Score
It's about the money. Dallas and Ohio State bring it. Big reason as we know that UNC gets off with no punishment. I personally hate Ohio st. and hope Oregon kicks the crap out of them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm a long-suffering Lions fan and I was so incensed at the flag pick-up that I was beyond words or actions. All I could do was stare in disbelief.

Your coach has no balls. He's to blame. After the flag he should have said screw it, we're gonna jam it down their throat. Instead, he went with the pathetic "try to draw them off-sides" trick. I knew they were going to lose after that.

Reaction Score
I've seen nothing serious about this controversy on ESPN. They've merely called it a controversial call and moved on. SI and CBS Sports have both commented and challenged it.

Probably no surprise that ESPN has nothing on it. They aren't a sports news outlet anymore (were they ever?), but a partner and mouthpiece for the organizations they supposedly "cover."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was that the one we all saw when they were showing the replay of a penalty on the d-back? Saw that too, it was right in front of the ref too.

I believe so, shoudl have been off-setting and a do-over 3rd, not Dallas with a first down

Reaction Score
I've seen nothing serious about this controversy on ESPN. They've merely called it a controversial call and moved on. SI and CBS Sports have both commented and challenged it.

Probably no surprise that ESPN has nothing on it. They aren't a sports news outlet anymore (were they ever?), but a partner and mouthpiece for the organizations they supposedly "cover."

ESPN writers are usually on the ball a little better than the broadcasters...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...potential-penalties-on-key-lions-cowboys-play

Reaction Score
It's not fixed but we do know the NFL is real happy "America's team" is still playing and the NCAA was real happy the "voters" got Ohio State in.;)

The NFL gets killer ratings, no matter who or what.

Reaction Score
The NFL gets killer ratings, no matter who or what.

The ratings will be MUCH higher with he 'Boys/Pack than the Lions Pack for sure. The casual fan will watch this one while they wouldn't take a minute of their day to watch the other one other than to check a score inbewtsween a college hoops game. But you are correct, they are still higher than most others for sure.

Reaction Score
I will have to hear from my Cowboy buddies how Romo got redemption. That's funny he looked pretty awful mostly but the same fans who have called him "homo" for years in December will be waving their Romo pom poms all week. The Packers can't score enough points for my liking next week!

YES!!! Let the Hate Flow thru You...

Reaction Score
http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/01/wh...unsportsmanlike-conduct-penalty-on-this-play/

This missed penalty on Dez the Dips**t was also disgusting. How do you allow a player form the sidelines without his helmet to come out that far to argue a call, seriously? They blew this call in a huge way, one of the if not the worst calls/no calls in playoff history.

DV_Butthurt.jpg

Attachments

• DV_Butthurt.jpg
    DV_Butthurt.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 27
Reaction Score
It's getting old. It was a bad call, no doubt, but not fraudulent or corrupt . Lions did nothing in the second half. They, rightfully, had no confidence in Prater so they kick a 10 yd punt. They get the ball back and fumble. Dallas did not play well but Detroit played worse. In a tight, playoff game a single FG in the 3rd quarter is simply not enough.

There aren't many playoff wins between Romo and Stafford - it was doubled last night. Someone had to win. I sense all will be put back to normal next weekend when AR is able to flick his wrist for 60 yards.

Reaction Score
I hate the whole "butthurt" thing after something like this. To leave alone some of the reasons, one of the main ones is that it refuses to deal with the person's actual point, and is an even more childish response than it accuses the complaining person to be making.

Your argument shouldn't be "you're upset because you're butthurt." That's stupid. It should be that, "yes, it was a bad call, but the Lions should have gone for it on 4th and were too cowardly, and that's why they lost."

Sans saying that, you look even worse that the person you are criticizing.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Was nobody paying attention right before Stafford threw the ball when Pettigrew stuck his hand in Hitchens' facemask? It should have been a penalty going against Detroit.

Reaction Score
Was nobody paying attention right before Stafford threw the ball when Pettigrew stuck his hand in Hitchens' facemask? It should have been a penalty going against Detroit.
That certainly happened...although after Hitchens grabbed his shirt.

There were something like 4 penalties on that play (including the Dez thing) and none of them were called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom