OT: Keyontae Johnson UF | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Keyontae Johnson UF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh man -the good news lasted 19 minutes.

"According to a source with first-hand knowledge" - seems to me the Gainsville Sun is completely out of line publishing this. If the news is accurate, Keyontae Johnson should be the one that gets to decide if and when it is communicated.

Reaction Score
Then we need to shut everything down and not leave our houses until we’re all vaccinated.

i’m not saying everyone, just him. he shouldn’t be cleared to play basketball right now. wife’s a doctor so..her opinion matters

shut down? i should be pissed! i haven’t been to work since march. i can live with that ; ) i can barely go out and have fun. i wear a winter coat to dine out

Reaction Score
So according to that source, it's acute myocarditis likely related to his COVID exposure, as we feared.

Also, Florida claims they follow SEC protocol on the heart scans following COVID (although not a specific confirmation it was done in this case).
“At Florida, we do an EKG and an echo on every athlete that comes to us, so we have that on record already. So if someone gets COVID, and we repeat this cardiac workup, we are able to compare back to what they were when they came in as a freshman or transfer here. So we have a pretty good idea if there were any changes,” Florida team physician, Dr. Jay Clugston, told TV20 in August. “There does seem to be more cases or cardiac effects from this virus than maybe we have seen from others, although, we are looking a lot more closely than we have in the past. I think all of us are cautious about it.”

If original scans did not pick it up or it developed later, it might be reasonable for schools to continue periodically scanning during the season for somewhat recently positive COVID athletes out of an abundance of caution.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

"According to a source with first-hand knowledge" - seems to me the Gainsville Sun is completely out of line publishing this. If the news is accurate, Keyontae Johnson should be the one that gets to decide if and when it is communicated.

It's still good news.

Reaction Score

The Gainesville Sun has to report it. If it's a school source, they're the ones who are unethical. Not the newspaper. A newspaper would have obvious interest in reporting whether the university may be putting students at risk. The school however has to keep this info private. Assuming of course that the Gainesville Sun isn't speaking to a family member.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So according to that source, it's acute myocarditis likely related to his COVID exposure, as we feared.

Also, Florida claims they follow SEC protocol on the heart scans following COVID (although not a specific confirmation it was done in this case).

If original scans did not pick it up or it developed later, it might be reasonable for schools to continue periodically scanning during the season for somewhat recently positive COVID athletes out of an abundance of caution.

Horrible take.

Nowhere does it say or suggest it's likely related to COVID-19 for him.

Reaction Score
The Gainesville Sun has to report it. If it's a school source, they're the ones who are unethical. Not the newspaper. A newspaper would have obvious interest in reporting whether the university may be putting students at risk. The school however has to keep this info private. Assuming of course that the Gainesville Sun isn't speaking to a family member.

Gainesville Sun doesn't have to publish everything they know. There is no compelling public need to know this information that would outweigh the right of Keyontae Johnson to keep his medical information private.

Reaction Score
Horrible take.

Uhhhh....

Screenshot_20201222-213753.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Uhhhh....

View attachment 62780

If you don't understand the difference between "may" and "likely" stay in your basement and avoid doing anything the rest of your life. Because a lot of things "may" happen to you that aren't conducive to living.

All the article said was he has been diagnosed with something that has also been linked to people recovering from COVID-19.

Making the jump from "may" to "likely" is premature fear prom ejaculation.

All that being said I do hope Florida honors his scholarship to make sure he gets a degree and continues to monitor his health for his own benefit and for the broader understanding of COVID.

Reaction Score
Gainesville Sun doesn't have to publish everything they know. There is no compelling public need to know this information that would outweigh the right of Keyontae Johnson to keep his medical information private.

Look at this thread. People are wondering if Covid can lead to potentially dangerous complications for student athletes.

Reaction Score

Excuse my editorializing. It says may be related. *I* am saying it is likely considering the available context. Likely does not mean definitely.

But to think it is not likely would be incredibly obtuse.

Note that I didn't even say that should make us do anything rash. Just increase scanning of post-COVID athletes.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So y’all good with someone like Polley collapsing next month with myocarditis? Or any other player? What’s the deal here? Where’s the line?
That’s like saying next time someone has a McDonalds hamburger they’re signing up for a heart attack. It’s a bad take.

Reaction Score
the risk is three times more likely in competitive athletes under 25 years old than non-competitive athletes under 25.

So after 2014 Kevin. Ollie was just trying to keep the team safe. And to think how much the Boneyard trashed him for it.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
You’re saying anything that can do harm to someone, no matter how obscure their condition is, we should restrict it from everything and stay safe.
No I’m talking pretty specifically about one thing here.

Reaction Score
Do you have any #'s on it? Around 100 competitive athletes die from sudden cardiac arrest every year and the risk is three times more likely in competitive athletes under 25 years old than non-competitive athletes under 25.

I regret to inform everyone that Google is a free machine service available to us all, but since you asked...

1. Here's a study that categorizes SCD in athletes. Its not 100/yr its like 66. And half of those are just HCM or other structural defects. 22% are blunt trauma. That leaves like... 15-20 caused by rando conditions like heat stroke. Note what is not mentioned - myocarditis. I mean there may be a smattering but its vanishingly rare even as a condition itself to have. In the US 22 out of 100,000 people. Sudden deaths in young competitive athletes: analysis of 1866 deaths in the United States, 1980-2006 - PubMed

2. This article covers it pretty comprehensively
- Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Findings in Competitive Athletes Recovering From COVID-19 Infection

3. Finally this screenshot of THIS ARTICLE captures why the severe myocarditis diagnosis should be concerning. Compare normal Myocarditis prevalence which is 22 out of 100,000 people to these numbers:
Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 11.44.53 PM.png

I mean, this thing is around 8-9 months, and so we are not going to have conclusive evidence but at some point a reasonable person has to look at the dots and get their head out of their ass. This virus has killed 320,000 people since March in the US. Keontae Johnson is likely very lucky not to be part of that statistic.

Reaction Score
I regret to inform everyone that Google is a free machine service available to us all, but since you asked...

1. Here's a study that categorizes SCD in athletes. Its not 100/yr its like 66. And half of those are just HCM or other structural defects. 22% are blunt trauma. That leaves like... 15-20 caused by rando conditions like heat stroke. Note what is not mentioned - myocarditis. I mean there may be a smattering but its vanishingly rare even as a condition itself to have. In the US 22 out of 100,000 people. Sudden deaths in young competitive athletes: analysis of 1866 deaths in the United States, 1980-2006 - PubMed

2. This article covers it pretty comprehensively
- Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Findings in Competitive Athletes Recovering From COVID-19 Infection

3. Finally this screenshot of THIS ARTICLE captures why the severe myocarditis diagnosis should be concerning. Compare normal Myocarditis prevalence which is 22 out of 100,000 people to these numbers:
View attachment 62793

I mean, this thing is around 8-9 months, and so we are not going to have conclusive evidence but at some point a reasonable person has to look at the dots and get their head out of their ass. This virus has killed 320,000 people since March in the US. Keontae Johnson is likely very lucky not to be part of that statistic.
So you don't have any #'s on it?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So you don't have any #'s on it?

He explained lack of numbers, but since reading is tough, I'll simplify.

1) Many viruses cause cases of myocarditis
2) This virus seems to trend causing it more often, based on limited data
3) This virus is much much more contagious than the other viruses in #1

Anyone trying to spin this is just outing themselves as something not good.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Interesting that the headline says the deaths are "from COVID" but the article says "the physicians said they found that from March through the end of July, there were almost 12,000 more deaths than expected based on historical norms among adults between the ages of 25 and 44.....While detailed data are not yet available for all areas, we know COVID-19 is the driving force behind these excess deaths,”

What the heck does "the driving force behind the deaths" mean. That could mean that the deaths were not "from Covid." Is it an uptick in suicide? In drugs deaths? It's tough to follow the science the science when the science is ambiguous at best.
Please, you have to be smarter than this post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom