OT: Jay Wright/Knicks | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Wright/Knicks

Reaction Score
This is very unlikely. Jay is currently closer to $5M than $3M a year, all included. If you are not happy with that, will more cash make you more happy? Jay's roots are in the Philly burbs, as are his family.

No Knicks this year. Maybe a pro job at some point down the road, but he is too happy with how Nova is rolling at the moment. He is the most revered coach in the game right now. Clean program. Wins without one-and-dones. Positive team-first culture. Low pressure from employer, just his own internal pressure.

Jay is seasoned, mature, and smart. He could grab more cash, but that does not seem to be his driving motivation.

Reaction Score
When the Yankees are bad they still average more fans than the Knicks do when they sell out. Even the Mets have higher attendance than the Knicks - only once in the last 30 years has Met attendance dropped to under 19K a game. Brooklyn, which is a whole other city within the city, is so crazy for baseball that the Coney Island Cyclones, the Mets rookie league team, frequently sell out. When they're winning, all sports in NY seem like they're the center of the storm.

Please note, there are several significant caveats to this point (it’s anecdotal, it’s old and there were probably contracts/agreements in place that dictated the decision.)
Anyway, in the early to mid 90s, when the Knicks were very good, I can remember WFAN would run Mets spring training games instead of Knicks regular season games. I’d want to find out the score of a late season basketball game that mattered in the standings and for playoff seeding and the flagship station for that team was broadcasting a baseball game that didn’t count. If NYC was really a “basketball above everything else” town, that shouldn’t have been the case.

Reaction Score
This is very unlikely. Jay is currently closer to $5M than $3M a year, all included. If you are not happy with that, will more cash make you more happy? Jay's roots are in the Philly burbs, as are his family.

No Knicks this year. Maybe a pro job at some point down the road, but he is too happy with how Nova is rolling at the moment. He is the most revered coach in the game right now. Clean program. Wins without one-and-dones. Positive team-first culture. Low pressure from employer, just his own internal pressure.

Jay is seasoned, mature, and smart. He could grab more cash, but that does not seem to be his driving motivation.

Which all makes him even more likeable.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it the most amazing sports town, in my experience sports are overall bigger in Chicago and probably Boston but I don't know that town as intimately.

People tend to use Manhattan as a proxy for NY when it’s really almost like its own nation. Get to the normal people living in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island and the role of sports is very similar to those other cities.

Reaction Score
New Yorkers are huge sports fans. They even support Hofstra pretty well. They love sports on Long Island, the Bronx and Staten Island. I know 3 guys with several replica Yankee World Series rings (weird) and guys that go to SJU, Fordham and Iona games faithfully. Transplants with $5,000,0000 apartments aren’t the people to look at.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is very unlikely. Jay is currently closer to $5M than $3M a year, all included.

He's all up at $2.6m, which includes bonuses and incentives.

IIRC and last I checked, there's only one private school coach in the country who makes more and that's Coach K.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They got into a pissing match about the Knicks and how popular they are in NYC lol

That's the best part about it. Completely useless argument that nobody really cares about...except those two. YOU ARE WRONG ON THE INTERNET!!!!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I would love this but Wright is not that stupid no one wants to work for Dolan.

Yeah, Dolan needs less qualified candidates who are happy to take one in the teeth for the money.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
That's his 2015 number from Nova, excluding camps, endorsements, book deal, etc.
Hence, not his salary. That's like saying my salary working at a Penn reels should be calculated to include the money I make winning fishing tournaments (neither of which I actually do, though you gotta have dreams).

Reaction Score
That's his 2015 number from Nova, excluding camps, endorsements, book deal, etc.

Every coach has those, that's why they're not included in this calculation.

Also, his endorsement deals etc would sky rocket if he managed to be a successful coach with the Knicks.

Reaction Score
Hence, not his salary.
I didn't call it his salary. $2.6M is his earnings from the school in 2015. We may find out later that he made more from the school in 2016, 2017, and 2018 (while winning 2 titles).

My point, however, was that he makes closer to $5M, all included. His family, roots, and achievements are in the Philly burbs. Will chasing cash to take the Knicks on the road increase his happiness or quality of life? He has said it won't. $5M or more a year for the next 10 years might not max his earning potential, but it will likely max his happiness.

How much more do you need?

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone thinks he’ll be the next Knicks coach. I’m not sure he’ll ever leave Nova, he’s 56? I’d just ride it out. Knicks job is a nightmare and if a college guy took it, it would be an ego guy like Cal.

If he truly has an itch for the NBA, and I doubt it, he’d have to do it soon. But for me the most attractive jobs are Orlando, Miami or Phoenix type gigs. Low stress, no taxes, relatively low cost of living. But then you aren’t talking Knicks type salary. So what’s the point?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I didn't call it his salary. $2.6M is his earnings from the school in 2015. We may find out later that he made more from the school in 2016, 2017, and 2018 (while winning 2 titles).

My point, however, was that he makes closer to $5M, all included. His family, roots, and achievements are in the Philly burbs. Will chasing cash to take the Knicks on the road increase his happiness or quality of life? He has said it won't. $5M or more a year for the next 10 years might not max his earning potential, but it will likely max his happiness.

How much more do you need?

That amount was the last published amount as of 2018. $2,585,041 If you can find different, by all means, link it.

USA TODAY Sports

I'm not aware of Jay reworking his contract recently.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

He’s not making $5M coaching basketball at Villanova. Don’t care what you add in, it’s not $5M.

Reaction Score
The push back on the numbers is not terribly important, as the main take away is that Jay makes millions and is happy with what he is doing. His quote is "don't mess with happy". He saw Rollie leave Nova and Pitino leave Kentucky.

To be accurate for those correcting me...

Nova is a private institution so contracts and compensation are not as public as with state schools. While the quoted USA Today article has a more recent date, their source information will be the last available data. They should footnote it with the year of the data, but they don't.

Private schools do need to file a 990 form with the IRS if they are non-profit 501(c)(3). I believe the most recent publicly available 990 form is for fiscal year ending May 2016, filed Aug 22, 2017, covering June 1, 2015 through May 31, 2016. So Jay makes about $2.6M on the books from the university, but maybe (likely) more, currently. We don't know if his current deal gives a bonus for a Title, for example.

Non-internet (and credible) sources indicate he is making over $4M a year, from all income sources. This leads to my statement of closer to $5M than $3M. That means he probably makes more today from Villanova than has been previously reported, and that he probably makes over $1M a year from non-Nova sources. Over the next 10 years, his income likely goes up and he likely makes more than $5M a year. A guess at $5M a year over the next 10 years may be conservative.

A portion of Jay's compensation is covered by a few big donors. His coaching position is an endowed title.

Jay makes good coin, is happy at Nova, is on an historic run, and is unlikely to coach the Knicks next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Haven't heard a denial of all this from Jay Wright.
https://nypost.com/2018/04/25/knicks-jay-wright-pipe-dream-is-officially-dead/

Knicks’ Jay Wright pipe dream is officially dead

"Wright’s agent, in his first public remarks since a published report stated the Knicks have interest, said on the record Wright won’t speak to any NBA clubs and will defend the school’s 2018 NCAA championship."

“He’s under contract with Villanova and he’s very, very happy there,’’ his longtime agent, Carl Hirsch, told The Post. “There’s no plans to leave.’’

"Indications are Wright is set to get a financial boost from Villanova this offseason as he reportedly makes between $2.5 million and $3 million per year."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
https://nypost.com/2018/04/25/knicks-jay-wright-pipe-dream-is-officially-dead/

Knicks’ Jay Wright pipe dream is officially dead

"Wright’s agent, in his first public remarks since a published report stated the Knicks have interest, said on the record Wright won’t speak to any NBA clubs and will defend the school’s 2018 NCAA championship."

“He’s under contract with Villanova and he’s very, very happy there,’’ his longtime agent, Carl Hirsch, told The Post. “There’s no plans to leave.’’

"Indications are Wright is set to get a financial boost from Villanova this offseason as he reportedly makes between $2.5 million and $3 million per year."
Smart man.

Reaction Score

"...not for that hot dump of an organization, anyway."

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Smart man.
Not sure if the Knicks waved $5 million or more under his nose it would be the smartest move
Do the job for a few and then step back into college coaching
But he seems happy where he is and maybe $ doesn't mean that much to him so it is most certainly understandable to stay put at Nova

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom