OT: Jay Wright/Knicks | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Wright/Knicks

Reaction Score
Sort of like how I always doubted Brad Stevens would leave Butler. When the Knicks can offer 5x annually, the threat is always real.

I think it's definitely a possibility.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Sort of like how I always doubted Brad Stevens would leave Butler. When the Knicks can offer 5x annually, the threat is always real.

That said, there's a huge difference between leaving Butler and leaving Nova. Not that Nova has the cache of Duke or Kentucky, but they're certainly more of a draw than Butler

Reaction Score
He is "only" making $2.5 million a year at Nova. For perspective, Dan Hurley is making $2.75 million in his first year at UConn. I don't know how much they can open up the bank account for him but Hornacek was making $5 million a year before getting fired so it may be too good to pass up.

Reaction Score
That said, there's a huge difference between leaving Butler and leaving Nova. Not that Nova has the cache of Duke or Kentucky, but they're certainly more of a draw than Butler
True, but Stevens was an Indiana guy. Born and raised there, went to college there, met his wife there, etc. Still no match for that cold, hard, cash.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Obviously a case by case basis.

But in the NBA you have less control.

Star players have more power than most coaches, and can get them ousted.

Plus, you're just a few silly ping pong balls away (and teams shamelessly tanking) from extended futility.

Ask Pitino.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Wright could easily win another national title within the next few years. There is no need for him to jump to a dumpster fire like the Knicks. Billy Donavan turned down the Magic (well he accepted the job and backed out) and few years later he's the coach of the Thunder. Wright could do the same if he waits.

Reaction Score
Wright could easily win another national title within the next few years. There is no need for him to jump to a dumpster fire like the Knicks. Billy Donavan turned down the Magic (well he accepted the job and backed out) and few years later he's the coach of the Thunder. Wright could do the same if he waits.

This is all true, and I don't know how I'd react in a similar situation.

But, the thing we have to keep in mind is this generational money we're talking about here.

Reaction Score
I for no reason at all doubt he takes it. I think he goes a few more years, if he can land a few more championships he goes down as an absolute legend in the college ranks. I don't think if he coaches for another 5 years and doesn't win another ring, that it hurts his stock to NBA teams.

I wouldn't mind him being out of the way though, that's for sure

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Its NYC.

MSG

The Mecca of Basketball.

the franchise is a mess, but the man who turns that around will be walking on water in NYC long after he passes.

Reaction Score
He would get way more money and wouldn't have to deal with the recruiting headaches but nobody is turning around the Knicks and he would get fired in a few years like any other coach who coaches them.

Reaction Score
I for no reason at all doubt he takes it. I think he goes a few more years, if he can land a few more championships he goes down as an absolute legend in the college ranks. I don't think if he coaches for another 5 years and doesn't win another ring, that it hurts his stock to NBA teams.

I wouldn't mind him being out of the way though, that's for sure
and what if he turns around the Knicks? His legend wouldn't grow? I have no idea if he will take it, but every coach has a dream scenario.

Reaction Score
Its NYC.

MSG

The Mecca of Basketball.

the franchise is a mess, but the man who turns that around will be walking on water in NYC long after he passes.
No coach is turning them around as long as Dolan is alive which is incredibly sad because there is nothing like The Garden when the Knicks are good. NYC is a basketball town.

Reaction Score
He would get way more money and wouldn't have to deal with the recruiting headaches but nobody is turning around the Knicks and he would get fired in a few years like any other coach who coaches them.
And he would still get the money and any college job he wants upon his return. Or he can retire and do tv. The Knicks can offer him life changing money in a short amount of time. It's definitely worth consideration.

Reaction Score
Doesn't look like the Knicks have any shot at catching up to Philly or Boston any time soon.
Dumpster fire is right...although a very lucrative dump$ter fire...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
No one wants to work for Dolan. $$ means crap when the guy in charge is going to make your job that much harder.

Mark Jackson or Van Gundy seem realistic

I'm always amazed that these brilliant, successful rich guys, who became successful and growing their empires by DELEGATING just cannot get out of their own ways and interfere with people far smarter than them (at this industry) and sabotage their franchises.

I love the saying in Moneyball that says something like no one questioned <insert industry experts here> about the personal computer, but anyone who has ever picked up a bat thinks they know baseball.

It's the same for any other sport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom