OT: Jay Wright/Knicks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Wright/Knicks

Reaction Score
And he would still get the money and any college job he wants upon his return. Or he can retire and do tv. The Knicks can offer him life changing money in a short amount of time. It's definitely worth consideration.
Sure but what college job would you want more than the thing you built up in your hometown, where you are treated like a god? Pitino was always chasing what he had at Kentucky and gave up.

Reaction Score
It's time Jay. You've accomplished everything there is to do on college.

Reaction Score
Sure but what college job would you want more than the thing you built up in your hometown, where you are treated like a god? Pitino was always chasing what he had at Kentucky and gave up.
I don't disagree. However, like you said in a previous post, the money will be insane, he no longer has to recruit, and will always be a god at Villanova. Would JC be held in less regard here if he decided to leave for the Lakers? I have no idea what Jay Wright wants, but if coaching in the NBA is it, it won't get any better than this opportunity.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
With Zinger and Frenchise there are some really interesting building blocks.

But they also missed some opportunities to sell high on a guy like O'quinn (unless they plan on keeping him) and even Courtney Lee and start to add back some draft assets.

Your job security is tied to your GM's performance.

I'm still baffled that Orlando just fired Vogel after 2 years....what kind of record did they think they should have with that roster?

Reaction Score
I don't disagree. However, like you said in a previous post, the money will be insane, he no longer has to recruit, and will always be a god at Villanova. Would JC be held in less regard here if he decided to leave for the Lakers? I have no idea what Jay Wright wants, but if coaching in the NBA is it, it won't get any better than this opportunity.
Yes, I think Calhoun would be held in less regard had he left. There is something about your coach being your coach and not sharing him with any other team/school. He would also have less hardware.

Reaction Score
With Zinger and Frenchise there are some really interesting building blocks.

But they also missed some opportunities to sell high on a guy like O'quinn (unless they plan on keeping him) and even Courtney Lee and start to add back some draft assets.

Your job security is tied to your GM's performance.

I'm still baffled that Orlando just fired Vogel after 2 years....what kind of record did they think they should have with that roster?
Orlando's roster is an abomination.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I can’t imagine Nova doesn’t plan to throw more money at Wright this offseason. They have to know the NBA will come calling, and even other college teams could potentially double his salary, if they really wanted too.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I'm always amazed that these brilliant, successful rich guys, who became successful and growing their empires by DELEGATING just cannot get out of their own ways and interfere with people far smarter than them (at this industry) and sabotage their franchises.

Is he really that brilliant? My understanding was that his father built the empire, and he’s more a product of nepotism/genetic lottery than any innate leadership ability.

the Q

Reaction Score
Is he really that brilliant? My understanding was that his father built the empire, and he’s more a product of nepotism/genetic lottery than any innate leadership ability.

i was speaking in generalities, dolan isn't alone in this regard.

the Q

Reaction Score
Orlando's roster is an abomination.

that's my point.

what could the owner/FO really have expected for a record?

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine Nova doesn’t plan to throw more money at Wright this offseason. They have to know the NBA will come calling, and even other college teams could potentially double his salary, if they really wanted too.

That's a good point as well.

Coach K is 71 -- he is also paid $8.9 million a year. Jay Wright is 56 and paid $2.5 million a year. If K retired in the next 5 years, it would be hard for Wright to turn that away as well.

I also just saw that Boeheim only makes $2.1 million year, which by current CBB standards is pretty low given stature and tenure but also commensurate with an inability to win more than one National Championship.

Nova is on an incredible run right now, but I don't think they have the kind of money to pay him market rate for his success to date.

Reaction Score
Is there really that big of a risk? WORST case you get a huge raise, stink out loud because they're the Knicks than get let go and probably be a hot commodity in the college game where a program will let him name his price. Pitino and Cal wrote that book.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That's a good point as well.

Coach K is 71 -- he is also paid $8.9 million a year. Jay Wright is 56 and paid $2.5 million a year. If K retired in the next 5 years, it would be hard for Wright to turn that away as well.

I also just saw that Boeheim only makes $2.1 million year, which by current CBB standards is pretty low given stature and tenure but also commensurate with an inability to win more than one National Championship.

Nova is on an incredible run right now, but I don't think they have the kind of money to pay him market rate for his success to date.
Holy shizz we pay Dan more than Syracuse pays their HOF? Talk about a small time program... our fired HC was making almost a million more per year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think people make these decisions based on more factors than we're listing here. Certainly money is a big one, but he'll be wealthy in either case. How does he like Philly? Does he have kids? Where are they in school? How does he like Manhattan? Does he want to live there? (I wouldn't for any amount of money). How does his family feel about it? Does he have any indication on what Nova might pay to keep him? Is there some other team or place he'd rather be?

Looking at his background, he's from suburban Philly, and started under Rollie M. He has 3 kids. Might suggest he'd stay where he is.

Reaction Score
I think people make these decisions based on more factors than we're listing here. Certainly money is a big one, but he'll be wealthy in either case. How does he like Philly? Does he have kids? Where are they in school? How does he like Manhattan? Does he want to live there? (I wouldn't for any amount of money). How does his family feel about it? Does he have any indication on what Nova might pay to keep him? Is there some other team or place he'd rather be?

Looking at his background, he's from suburban Philly, and started under Rollie M. He has 3 kids. Might suggest he'd stay where he is.

You wouldn't live in Manhattan if someone handed you a check for a hundred billion dollars?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You wouldn't live in Manhattan if someone handed you a check for a hundred billion dollars?

How long would I have to stay? My more nuanced view is that I'd live in NYC for a year if I could then retire, live anywhere and never have to work again.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I still doubt he would turn down being the Knicks head coach for 5+ million, with basically 3 guaranteed years. He’d walk away with almost 15 million, NBA experience/connections, and would be able to hand pick his next college job.

Reaction Score
It's not Nova versus the Knicks. Wright would be the top candidate for any blue blood job and many will be opening in the next few years, and there are going to be a lot of NBA jobs opening up in the next few weeks, many of which are better than the Knicks job.

Reaction Score
I can see NYK and Dolan starting in the $5-$7 mill/yr range if he is their first choice. If Nova has to match all of their NBE tv share $$ will go to pay Wright’s salary.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As a Knicks fan, this would make me happy.
I'm not sure if even Wright can help them. They are, after all, the Knicks.

Reaction Score
I still doubt he would turn down being the Knicks head coach for 5+ million, with basically 3 guaranteed years. He’d walk away with almost 15 million, NBA experience/connections, and would be able to hand pick his next college job.

Maybe he already has his handpicked college job

You also have to take in taxes Philly vs NYC, cost of living, etc

According to bankrate.com cost of living calculator it is 90% more expensive to live in metro Manhattan vs metro Philly

If Jay Wright was making 2.5 in Philly he would have to make 4.75 in Manhattan to have the same lifestyle.

Reaction Score
I'm in the minority of Knicks fans on this but I want no part of Wright. I think he belongs at the college level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom