OT: How Bad Are the Giants? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: How Bad Are the Giants?

Reaction Score
I disagree on burrow. I think it is getting bad down there. As far as Lawrence, he really hasn’t been good enough to warrant a huge deal. Can also maybe get cousins.

Could be worse. Jones better than Bryce Young. Yikes.
The Giants are never getting any of those guys. There's living in fantasy land and then there's thinking you're getting a Joe Burrow or Trevor Lawrence in FA

Reaction Score
Chase and Higgins have been the bigger distractions. The same reason Giants fans want him to be available is why he won’t be moved. The return wouldn’t be worth it especially in a very weak QB draft.
it would have to go so bad. But Stafford, Carr. Mayfield, they change teams. I am fine with that caliber of qb.

Reaction Score
Meh. Mara family has been intimately involved in franchise and personnel for 100 years.
Chris Mara is in the org. John listens to executives, but he signs the checks and it is, literally, his team.

Always makes me laugh when people say owners shouldn’t mettle. Celtics owner mettle, Yankees owners need to mettle more…

They just have fallen short as an organization on the talent procurement angle. If Mara had more of a say Barkley is still in New York. They loved him.
It’s about hiring the right people and staying out of their way. George Steinbrenner meddled a lot with mixed results. Ironically, the late ‘90s/early 2000s dynasty was born when George was suspended and couldn’t meddle. Gene Michael drafted and developed the likes of Jeter, Pettitte, Posada, and Rivera.

Reaction Score
They just have fallen short as an organization on the talent procurement angle. If Mara had more of a say Barkley is still in New York. They loved him.
And this is exactly why the Mara's need to stop meddling. Let the football people make decisions. They should have traded Barkley 2 years ago. You're unintentionally arriving at the issue with Giants ownership here

Reaction Score
And this is exactly why the Mara's need to stop meddling. Let the football people make decisions. They should have traded Barkley 2 years ago. You're unintentionally arriving at the issue with Giants ownership here
It’s not meddling…as someone else said Mara wanted to kept saywuon but he listened to schoen. The issue is he hires incompetent people AND listens to them

Reaction Score
Always makes me laugh when people say owners shouldn’t mettle. Celtics owner mettle, Yankees owners need to mettle more…
Depends what you define as "mettle". I happen to have very inside information on the Celtics' ownership. They are very involved, as they should be, but ultimately they let the people they hire make the decisions. They've hired pretty good people in decision making positions, pay them well, ask the right questions of their decision makers, but then let those people do their jobs. Ultimately that's what I think a good owner should do. I can promise you that the Celtics' owners aren't making player personnel decisions, but they do challenge their decision makers and make them answer why they want to do things. I don't think 99% of owners should do what Jerry Jones does.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Question for Giants fans—-knowing what you know now, would you rather have drafted McCarthy at pick 6 last spring? I know McCarthy is hurt now. This question assumes that the change of scenery means different circumstances and no resulting injury.

Reaction Score
Meh. Mara family has been intimately involved in franchise and personnel for 100 years.
Chris Mara is in the org. John listens to executives, but he signs the checks and it is, literally, his team.

They were drafting Daniel Jones all along no matter what the red flags were because of the relationship the Manning family had with David Cutcliffe.

They viewed Daniel Jones as being exactly like Eli, they wanted a qb who does things the quote on quote "Giant way", just unfair expectations to put on a qb. Jones is a good guy who won't get trouble or won't say anything stupid no doubt he works hard and probably is a good leader and has a good heart but he doesn't have it between the ears like Eli did. The Giants ownership took Eli's durability and moxie for granted.

Reaction Score
It’s not meddling…as someone else said Mara wanted to kept saywuon but he listened to schoen. The issue is he hires incompetent people AND listens to them
It's meddling, it's all been very public what they've been doing. Chris Mara literally failed his way up the ladder in the Giants front office. The Saquon situation is a good sign that they're turning a new leaf and will hopefully let Schoen run the team

Reaction Score
Question for Giants fans—-knowing what you know now, would you rather have drafted McCarthy at pick 6 last spring? I know McCarthy is hurt now. This question assumes that the change of scenery means different circumstances and no resulting injury.
Absolutely not. McCarthy is no better than whoever they'd end up taking this year, and now that QB will have Malik Nabers to throw to

Reaction Score
Absolutely not. McCarthy is no better than whoever they'd end up taking this year, and now that QB will have Malik Nabers to throw to
I’m not sold on McCarthy myself. I laughed at the Falcons taking Penix that high after paying Cousins, but maybe it was actually a smart move.

Reaction Score
I’m not sold on McCarthy myself. I laughed at the Falcons taking Penix that high after paying Cousins, but maybe it was actually a smart move.
This time last year I was saying McCarthy would be good for the Giants in the top 5 so realistically I have no idea what I'm talking about and a lot will change during the college season. But Nabers is going to be a star so I think it was the right choice

Reaction Score
This time last year I was saying McCarthy would be good for the Giants in the top 5 so realistically I have no idea what I'm talking about and a lot will change during the college season. But Nabers is going to be a star so I think it was the right choice
I don’t see a ton of great QB prospects among the upper classmen. The freshman at Nebraska looked pretty good the other night against Colorado. There’s a good amount of receivers, offensive tackles, and edge rushers among the upper classmen though.

Reaction Score
Why is he a good owner?? He seems like a good person but he seems incompetent as an owner, since his top job is to hire the gm/coach. His record there is abysmal
They have won 4 super bowls and been to 5. Lol.

The Mara’s are great owners. What happened? They don’t have a QB and I think they lack innovation. They missed on the qb, and have missed, tremendously, on draft picks recently.

Kadarious Toney
Evan Neal
Thibodeaux ( ok player, but great)

JMS, Hyatt, Robinson, Ezedu, olujwari

Way too many misses, and the misses on the o line are staggering.

Lemieux
Neal
Peart
Mckethan
Ezedu
Jms

Giants have used 2 top 10 picks, two second rounders, a third rounder, a fifth rounder

They got only one good player out of it and maybe JMS is something.

Reaction Score
Penix is a great thrower. Crazy pick by Falcons, but i think he was best thrower. I liked Nix too.

Lesson of QBs is if you believe in a qb, you dont wait or fool. You go get QB. But, if you do that, don’t miss on your QB.

Reaction Score
How bad does their record need to be for them to clean house and bring Bill home?
5-12?

Reaction Score
I disagree on Barkely. I wish they offered him what the eagles offered him and that he was in New York next 3 years.

i think the modern way nfl GMs think about running back and positional value has swung too far that people think all RBs are equal.

that isn’t the case. Barkley, at $38m vs. singletary at $16m, its easy for me. I think Barkley is a difference maker that I would spend the extra.

Giants did do a nice job of saying it was Barkley or we wouldn’t have been able to trade for Burns and sign three OL.

But, they could have figured out a way to do Both. The salary cap was huge.

One player you have to account for on offense. The other is there as an essentially replacement level back .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They have won 4 super bowls and been to 5. Lol.

The Mara’s are great owners. What happened? They don’t have a QB and I think they lack innovation. They missed on the qb, and have missed, tremendously, on draft picks recently.

Kadarious Toney
Evan Neal
Thibodeaux ( ok player, but great)

JMS, Hyatt, Robinson, Ezedu, olujwari

Way too many misses, and the misses on the o line are staggering.

Lemieux
Neal
Peart
Mckethan
Ezedu
Jms

Giants have used 2 top 10 picks, two second rounders, a third rounder, a fifth rounder

They got only one good player out of it and maybe JMS is something.
Sorry but you’re giving him credit for when Wellington ran the team. They won the last 2 with Coughlin, who Wellington hired, not John

Name the successful coach / gm he has hired?

Reaction Score
I disagree on Barkely. I wish they offered him what the eagles offered him and that he was in New York next 3 years.

i think the modern way nfl GMs think about running back and positional value has swung too far that people think all RBs are equal.

that isn’t the case. Barkley, at $38m vs. singletary at $16m, its easy for me. I think Barkley is a difference maker that I would spend the extra.

Giants did do a nice job of saying it was Barkley or we wouldn’t have been able to trade for Burns and sign three OL.

One player you have to account for on offense. The other is there as an essentially replacement level back .
I don't know why the Giants haven't hired you as GM yet. I can't believe nobody in their front office considered the strategy of just signing everyone and ignoring the salary cap and making it work with their magic wand

Reaction Score

The Giants in fact did offer Saquon a contract on 3 times, offering him market value. They offered him more then the Eagles did.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
McCarthy looked really good in camp before getting injured. I was surprised the Giants didn't take him. But maybe they will get Quinn Ewers.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Living with your mom.
I’d hope an NFL QB can do better than an 80 something year-old but hey, everyone’s got their type.

IMG_8479.gif

Reaction Score
Maybe we can sign Darnold. :D
Interesting that after about the same number of years in the league as Jones, Darnold is showing something.

Well it's only one game, but........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom