OT: How Bad Are the Giants? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: How Bad Are the Giants?

Reaction Score
They're gonna end up with the #1 pick in a year where there's not a single QB worth drafting. So that's something
Shadeur Sanders hurt his draft standing this weekend. I don’t think Beck or Ewers are worthy of a top 3 pick either.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Been a Giant fan since the 50's also. Saw many games in the old old Yankee Stadium. I was overseas in the early 70s and missed the Yale Bowl Giants but my parents had seasons tickets. Jones is pathetic. He had a 44.3 QB rating today. He has no ability to improvise. He is one dimensional. He looks in one direction for the play. The interception in the end zone was actually four man coverage. On his pic 6 he did not see the linebacker Van Ginkel. He thinks he has great speed but he is not illusive or evasive. When he runs in the open it always "Feets don't fail me now!" Remember the 96 yd non-touchdown? The team looked slow, out of pace. Too many delays of game. The uniforms look horrible. The pants looked like paper bags which are an appropriate stylistic encore to the upcoming wearing of bags over the patrons heads. I can see it now. "In the first selection of the 2025 NFL Draft, the NY Giants select ??. Can't wait for Natty Three-peat!

Reaction Score
The only common denominator for the Giants ineptitude for the past 13 years has been Mara and Tisch. 3 GMs, 4 HCs, hundreds of players. But Mara and Tisch are always there to screw stuff up.
I was cautiously optimistic after the preseason that Bricillo had finally gotten the OL sorted out and with that things would start to turn around. But it doesn't matter how clean the pocket is when the QB can't put the ball where it needs to be.
Honestly, the delay of game on the first set of downs told me all I need to know about this team.
Exactly…it’s all on Mara. He makes the Fb decisions. Just because your dad knew how to run a Fb team, doesn’t mean you do

He won 2 super bowls with people his father put in place. His decisions have been utterly atrocious. I think every decision he made has been wrong…starting with firing Coughlin.

If he didn’t own the team he would never have any football related job.

Reaction Score
Shadeur Sanders hurt his draft standing this weekend. I don’t think Beck or Ewers are worthy of a top 3 pick either.
Was stupid to hold onto to Saquon when the Giants were 1-6 especially when you know he wasn’t coming back, it wouldn’t have been tanking persay but just moving on. It would’ve been craftily tanking I’d say and I did say it at the time.

Then you would’ve had Caleb Williams at least a top 3 pick. This isn’t much of a qb draft but you have to take one, sit the kid his rookie year and maybe have Drew Locke as a stop gap, ie a Jacoby Brissett type of stop gap. Knowing the Giants they draft the wrong qb and miss on a franchise qb.

Reaction Score
How he’s even still their QB is mind blowing.
They thought he would revert to his 2022 second half of the season performance or even his rookie year performance(neither were all pro performances). They thought a revamped OL
and a stud receiver would make a difference

Misplaced optimism for sure.

This quote below shows some reason for optimism, though.

Jones' contract also allows the Giants to move on from him in 2025 with relatively minor financial penalty. They'll carry just $11.1 million in dead cap if they choose to cut or trade him in a post-June 1 move next summer, clearing an avenue for general manager Joe Schoen to look elsewhere if he deems it necessary.

Reaction Score
I don’t want any of them. Just go get a veteran. trevor Lawrence and Joe burrow will be on market soon. I would do a qb Coming off a rookie contract.

Reaction Score
Exactly…it’s all on Mara. He makes the Fb decisions. Just because your dad knew how to run a Fb team, doesn’t mean you do

He won 2 super bowls with people his father put in place. His decisions have been utterly atrocious. I think every decision he made has been wrong…starting with firing Coughlin.

I hate when owners play a huge part in the roster construction. It never works out. The angels owner and James Dolan come to mind. You spend a ton of money on smart GMs and executives, only to shrug them off to the side and sign who you want like it’s some fantasy team, I just don’t get it.

Reaction Score
They thought he would revert to his 2022 second half of the season performance or even his rookie year performance(neither were all pro performances). They thought a revamped OL

Jones' contract also allows the Giants to move on from him in 2025 with relatively minor financial penalty. They'll carry just $11.1 million in dead cap if they choose to cut or trade him in a post-June 1 move next summer, clearing an avenue for general manager Joe Schoen to look elsewhere if he deems it necessary.
I’m not a giants fan so really didn’t watch the majority of games, but I seem to remember his first two years being riddled with sacks and fumbles. I remember when there was a ton of hype around him those years, he had a relatively good td-int ratio but if you factored in the fumbles then not so much. Always thought he was way overrated, turns out I was actually right for a change…

Reaction Score

He was bad, and has to go but offense line still wasn’t good and they have the worst rb and tight ends in the nfl. Nabers is good, I think, but slayton, wandale and Hyatt are replacement level wrs.

he has no weapons, line isn’t good, he isn’t good and the coach sucks , again.

go Player by player, only Thomas definitely starts on the offense side When compared to eagles. That is an incredible lack of talent.

nabers is WR 3 on eagles. So, we gotta look eyes wide open here.

Reaction Score
They're gonna end up with the #1 pick in a year where there's not a single QB worth drafting. So that's something
not a QB in the world can polish that turd of an O-line.

Reaction Score
Also. Mara owns the team. the family is never selling, ever. It is the family business. He is a good owner. Maybe too loyal, that’s it. Organizational issues stem from not getting rid of coughlin correctly and screwing up the jones development.

Reaction Score
I don’t want any of them. Just go get a veteran. trevor Lawrence and Joe burrow will be on market soon. I would do a qb Coming off a rookie contract.
Neither of those two guys will be let go. Maybe Cousins could be had in a trade.

Reaction Score
I hate when owners play a huge part in the roster construction. It never works out. The angels owner and James Dolan come to mind. You spend a ton of money on smart GMs and executives, only to shrug them off to the side and sign who you want like it’s some fantasy team, I just don’t get it.
It’s not his roster mgt, it’s his inability to hire executives. I had hope for Schoen, but that ship is sailing. Has Mara made even 1 good hire? I can’t think of one

Reaction Score
Surprised they didn't go to Cutlets in the second half. Jones showed nothing outside of probably holding onto the ball too long, not throwing an accurate ball, locking onto receivers too long.
But other than that.

Reaction Score
Also. Mara owns the team. the family is never selling, ever. It is the family business. He is a good owner. Maybe too loyal, that’s it. Organizational issues stem from not getting rid of coughlin correctly and screwing up the jones development.
Why is he a good owner?? He seems like a good person but he seems incompetent as an owner, since his top job is to hire the gm/coach. His record there is abysmal

Reaction Score

Completely agree on this. I've been saying it for a few years. Terrible with hiring people in decision making positions. Ultimately that's an owner's biggest responsibility.

Reaction Score
Maybe we can sign Darnold. :D

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you understand what a sports franchise owner's job is. See my and @NJHusky's responses.

Reaction Score
Neither of those two guys will be let go. Maybe Cousins could be had in a trade.
I disagree on burrow. I think it is getting bad down there. As far as Lawrence, he really hasn’t been good enough to warrant a huge deal. Can also maybe get cousins.

Could be worse. Jones better than Bryce Young. Yikes.

Reaction Score
Was stupid to hold onto to Saquon when the Giants were 1-6 especially when you know he wasn’t coming back, it wouldn’t have been tanking persay but just moving on. It would’ve been craftily tanking I’d say and I did say it at the time.

Then you would’ve had Caleb Williams at least a top 3 pick. This isn’t much of a qb draft but you have to take one, sit the kid his rookie year and maybe have Drew Locke as a stop gap, ie a Jacoby Brissett type of stop gap. Knowing the Giants they draft the wrong qb and miss on a franchise qb.
I feel like Drake Maye can be at least a middle of the pack NFL starter, maybe even a top 10 starter one day. It’s a relief going into next year’s draft knowing the Pats can try to get a left tackle and wide receiver help and not have to worry about a quarterback.

Reaction Score
John Mara is on a run like when his Dad Wellington was making football decisions and traded Sam Huff and then oversaw the complete collapse of the team from 65 to 79. The dropoff in talent at the end of Elis career and the drafting of Daniel Jones and then the stupidity of doubling down on him when Gettleman left and Judge was fired and Schoen and Daboll were brought in. Bad coaching choice after bad coaching choice. George Young turned the Giants around for Wellington. Don't know if anyone can help John Mara.

Reaction Score
I disagree on burrow. I think it is getting bad down there. As far as Lawrence, he really hasn’t been good enough to warrant a huge deal. Can also maybe get cousins.

Could be worse. Jones better than Bryce Young. Yikes.
Chase and Higgins have been the bigger distractions. The same reason Giants fans want him to be available is why he won’t be moved. The return wouldn’t be worth it especially in a very weak QB draft.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you understand what a sports franchise owner's job is. See my and @NJHusky's responses.
Meh. Mara family has been intimately involved in franchise and personnel for 100 years.
Chris Mara is in the org. John listens to executives, but he signs the checks and it is, literally, his team.

Always makes me laugh when people say owners shouldn’t mettle. Celtics owner mettle, Yankees owners need to mettle more…

They just have fallen short as an organization on the talent procurement angle. If Mara had more of a say Barkley is still in New York. They loved him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom