OT: Gin Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Gin Thread

Reaction Score
Buddy turned me on to Hendricks and now it is my go to. Took the boat to Mystic and went to go make a drink with the cucumber garnish only to find out he forgot the cucumber. Walked about five miles around Mystic only to stumble upon a Subway. Girls were kind enough to give us a few cucumbers.

Reaction Score
Shoal Finder Gin - 88 proof. Made in the Thousand Islands. Real tasty.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’m not an expert and I tend not to like most spirits, but I’ve found that I’m pretty fond of gin.

So far, my pick is Hendricks - it’s just really, really clean.

One of our local distilleries, the Hudson Bourbon peeps, makes a very nice gin - Half Moon Orchard Gin. It’s distilled with wheat and apples and works very well in a gin and tonic.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Buddy turned me on to Hendricks and now it is my go to. Took the boat to Mystic and went to go make a drink with the cucumber garnish only to find out he forgot the cucumber. Walked about five miles around Mystic only to stumble upon a Subway. Girls were kind enough to give us a few cucumbers.
The 15 year old in me had to chuckle at this.

Reaction Score
Not sure direction you are coming from but for future reference, we tie up at the Noank public docks just past Ford's Lobster, walk up the hill on Main St. left on Pearl and there is/ a Noank General Store (was Sherman's, was a Universal Market) and package store next door. Its very close by.

Reaction Score
Not sure direction you are coming from but for future reference, we tie up at the Noank public docks just past Ford's Lobster, walk up the hill on Main St. left on Pearl and there is/ a Noank General Store (was Sherman's, was a Universal Market) and package store next door. Its very close by.
We were over at Fort Rachel. I'm certain we could have found something closer if we did it again.

Reaction Score
I’m not an expert and I tend not to like most spirits, but I’ve found that I’m pretty fond of gin.

So far, my pick is Hendricks - it’s just really, really clean.

One of our local distilleries, the Hudson Bourbon peeps, makes a very nice gin - Half Moon Orchard Gin. It’s distilled with wheat and apples and works very well in a gin and tonic.

I'm glad they make something worthwhile what Tuthillown spirits call bourbon is absolutely horrendous, perhaps good as a lighter fluid. It's routinely he punchline to any number of jokes among folks that are fond of bourbon.

I've gotten many bottles as gift and while the thought is appreciated, I want to tell folks that are considering Hudson Baby Bourbon as a gift to please don't do it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As a kid and young teenager G&T was my dad's and neighborhood dad's summer drink of choice. I learned how to mix them well.

Mid 80's, I think freshman year (may have been sophomore year) my parents went to visit my sister at Fairfield for its homecoming weekend. That left one of my other sisters and me home. Our HS also had homecoming that weekend. We made up some G&T's before going to home coming dance. I walk in to dance, passed out on gymnasium bleachers, puked on myself, fell down bleachers and, with the help of a few other students, made it outside without getting caught. Walked home about 2-3 miles and woke up next morning in my bed, fully clothed covered in puke.

Haven't touched gin since and the smell of gin stillakes me nauseous 30+ years later.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Chick thread.
Seems like comment that would be made by someone who might call women "chicks."
I have Hendricks and Plymouth on hand, the latter a nod to Travis McGee.
Budget-friendly Kirkland London Dry works just fine for tonic, if "chicks" or someone else wants a sweet drink. Fever Tree or Trader Joe's fill that bill.
I prefer to add a capful of Dolin dry, which overall yields a pleasant buzz.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As a kid and young teenager G&T was my dad's and neighborhood dad's summer drink of choice. I learned how to mix them well.

Mid 80's, I think freshman year (may have been sophomore year) my parents went to visit my sister at Fairfield for its homecoming weekend. That left one of my other sisters and me home. Our HS also had homecoming that weekend. We made up some G&T's before going to home coming dance. I walk in to dance, passed out on gymnasium bleachers, puked on myself, fell down bleachers and, with the help of a few other students, made it outside without getting caught. Walked home about 2-3 miles and woke up next morning in my bed, fully clothed covered in puke.

Haven't touched gin since and the smell of gin stillakes me nauseous 30+ years later.
Awesome story.
Do you remember the brand?

Reaction Score

Similar story but was with vodka. Dubra.

Also cannot look at Black Haus ever again.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Awesome story.
Do you remember the brand?

No. I'm sure it was a mainline brand, but no idea.

Good thing is it's allowed me to avoid Long Island Ice Teas for my entire life. I've seen many people of all walks of life get loopy on those.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Similar story but was with vodka. Dubra.

Also cannot look at Black Haus ever again.

Yeah, mine was rye, so long ago that it doesn't really matter, but I still approach it slowly.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm glad they make something worthwhile what Tuthillown spirits call bourbon is absolutely horrendous, perhaps good as a lighter fluid. It's routinely he punchline to any number of jokes among folks that are fond of bourbon.

I've gotten many bottles as gift and while the thought is appreciated, I want to tell folks that are considering Hudson Baby Bourbon as a gift to please don't do it.

They seem to be doing rather well for themselves.

Reaction Score
They seem to be doing rather well for themselves.

You seem to be confusing quality and the ability to get people to buy.

Their bourbon is a crap product regardless of what you say.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The 15 year old in me had to chuckle at this.

You may want to refrain from sharing stories of what 15 year old are doing to you. Why was the 15 year old laughing but you weren't?

Reaction Score
Bombay Sapphire is fine for me.

Def hi-octane. I had a guest during Christmas who downed 1/2 fifth+ all by himself. Amazingly, he was still standing.

Reaction Score
Mostly a Hendricks guy, but my all time favorite is Brooklyn Gin, which I’ve only found in some NYC bars.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Like many here Sapphire is my go to but I’d like to try others. G&T, but really good with ginger ale instead of tonic too.

Reaction Score
Bull dog.... good stuff and a fair price.. but I like
Citadelle No Mistake Old Tom Gin

Ransom Old Tom Gin is my fav. Once had a bottle in a car on a super hot day. Somehow the cap got loose but didn't unscrew or leak. Came back to the car after a number of hours and because of the heat, half the bottle had evaporated. Smelled incredible in the car though.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Brooklyn Gin. It's citrusy with the right amount of juniper. Smooth. When that's not available I like Bombay Sapphire.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom