OT: Gin Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Gin Thread

Reaction Score
Tanquery sucks

I agree with you that the Tanquery that most people think of and drink is really bad. However, in my research via the internet and significant taste testing Tanquery Ten is outstanding. It is frequently listed as one of the best Gin's available. If you haven't tried it you should. It's very good.

Reaction Score
nothing has made me puke on a higher per-nights-drinking-this percentage than gin.

that being said, i tried watershed distillery's four peel gin once when i was in columbus, oh once and it was the best i'd ever had.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gin was the first hard liqour I ever drank, probably freshman year in high school. Grabbed from parents' liquor cabinet and mixed with soda, passed among a few guys and girls one fine school night. Got sick and never drank it since, despite pouring gallons of it while bartending for around a decade. Seemed to make people mean and was the drink of choice of many professional drinkers so it scared me a bit.

Got reintroduced to it around five or six years ago when my partner insisted I take part in a ritual Hendricks martini happy hour during a retreat. Loved it. Dry with an olive. Have had it maybe a dozen times since, most times ending up with my chin to my chest in record time, reportedly with "old man stink" (per Mrs. 8893).

It does not make me mean, but it makes me drunker faster than most things do. I think it has something to with the fact that a dry martini is 99.9% booze but I drink it like a mixed drink.

Reaction Score
I'm a bourbon/whiskey drinker in the winter, gin during the summer. Gin definitely hits you harder because of the higher proof. I prefer Bombay and Hendricks, but because I drink too much of it, drink a lot of Boodles as it costs a few less dollars.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Gin was the first hard liqour I ever drank, probably freshman year in high school. Grabbed from parents' liquor cabinet and mixed with soda, passed among a few guys and girls one fine school night. Got sick and never drank it since, despite pouring gallons of it while bartending for around a decade. Seemed to make people mean and was the drink of choice of many professional drinkers so it scared me a bit.

Got reintroduced to it around five or six years ago when my partner insisted I take part in a ritual Hendricks martini happy hour during a retreat. Loved it. Dry with an olive. Have had it maybe a dozen times since, most times ending up with my chin to my chest in record time, reportedly with "old man stink" (per Mrs. 8893).

It does not make me mean, but it makes me drunker faster than most things do. I think it has something to with the fact that a dry martini is 99.9% booze but I drink it like a mixed drink.
Martinis are tough because you have to sip them fast while the temp is still as icy as possible. Nothing worse than a warm glass of gin.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm a bourbon/whiskey drinker in the winter, gin during the summer. Gin definitely hits you harder because of the higher proof. I prefer Bombay and Hendricks, but because I drink too much of it, drink a lot of Boodles as it costs a few less dollars.
Every summer I drop bourbon for gin (and too much IPA) but by September I longing for the bourbon.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I prefer Beefeater for my martinis, which I prefer dry with cocktail onions (a Gibson).

With tonic, I prefer Bombay Sapphire.

Hendricks I like with a cucumber garnish. Someone put me on to that but it works.
These are the three. Originally a Beefeater preference for everything, but I tend to prefer it for martinis, Sapphire for G&T. Hendricks for either.

And don't discount the gimlet, stronger than the G&T but with the lime to light it up.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don't like the taste of gin. I don't like the taste of tonic water. But put them together and drop in a slice of lime and I'm in heaven. Pure alchemy.

^^^^^makes zero sense, but I agree.

Reaction Score
I agree with you that the Tanquery that most people think of and drink is really bad. However, in my research via the internet and significant taste testing Tanquery Ten is outstanding. It is frequently listed as one of the best Gin's available. If you haven't tried it you should. It's very good.
Completely 100%. Tanqueray 10 (or Ten?) is great stuff. Ordered a Tanqueray at Grants one time, they gave me the Tang 10 which I hadn't heard of and I loved it. Costs you an extra 10 bucks for a 750 in a package store.
I'm not too picky, once it warms up I'll drink any gin and agree the Hendricks is really good - but the Tanqueray 10 is definitely my favorite.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Martinis are tough because you have to sip them fast while the temp is still as icy as possible. Nothing worse than a warm glass of gin.
And martini glasses are the stupidest design in the world.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Southern Comfort
Southern Comfort for me too. Most dark liquors made me nauseous for years but they are tolerable now. @Chin Diesel, great story. Love those HS drinking stories. We were outside a dance one night and this girl starts puking red. I freak out and tell my buddies she's puking blood. They reply, yeah it could be blood but more likely it's the bottle of Riunite she just drank. Good ole Riunite.

Reaction Score
Aviation Gin from Portland, Ore.

It is classified as an “American dry gin.” It has great botanicals and is perfect for a G&T.

Aviationgin.com

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm settled in on Faber. Paying twice as much for Hendricks for not much additional benefit just seems silly to me. Tried a few artisinal botanical gins as well, not for me as I use gin almost exclusively for G&Ts and appreciate a bit of astringency in the finish.

Also use store brand tonic. I don't get the appeal of the designer tonic waters with a balanced (or even heavy botanical) gin. The flavors compete too much to point of overwhelming the spirit.
I'm curious about Faber, and it's not at Total Wine. Any ideas on where to get in CT?
Alternatively, I have upcoming travel to Finger Lakes region and could do the Rt 81 thru Scranton route, or any state along the way to Maine a bit later, or ask my sister in Ocean City, NJ.

Reaction Score

Higher proof? All the bourbon I drink is barrel proof so 120+, I've never had a gin that comes close to that.

Reaction Score
Dillon Distillery's out of the Niagara region has two that I really like their Dry Gin 7 and Unfiltered Gin 22. Not sure if you can find it in the States.

dillons.ca

Reaction Score
Higher proof? All the bourbon I drink is barrel proof so 120+, I've never had a gin that comes close to that.

By definition Gin has to be above 40% but to your point is rarely above 50% unless its a Navy Strength.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm curious about Faber, and it's not at Total Wine. Any ideas on where to get in CT?
Alternatively, I have upcoming travel to Finger Lakes region and could do the Rt 81 thru Scranton route, or any state along the way to Maine a bit later, or ask my sister in Ocean City, NJ.

Not sure if it's available outside PA. Interesting company and market strategy. Everything goes into the booze, nothing into the bottle design or packaging.

Reaction Score
Not a huge gin fan. But this makes a superb martini.

plymouth-english-gin.jpg

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Hendrick's is my go to, but Barr Hill makes some excellent gin varieties as well and is very good in a Bee's Knees. I have had a few other small batch gins that were decent, but I forget the name. One that sticks out is artisinal something out of Texas. Reminded me of Hendrick's a little.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Similar story but was with vodka. Dubra.

Also cannot look at Black Haus ever again.
Te-Kill-ya (aka Tequila) has left a similar mark on me. Understanding how kerosene flavored ethanol became popular is beyond my intellectual capabilities.
Mad dogs and Englishmen, in the noon day sun. I think the dogs are having Tequila shooters and the Englishmen a G&T.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Every summer I drop bourbon for gin (and too much IPA) but by September I longing for the bourbon.
Two words: Mint Julep. Helps one attain their Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for bourbon.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Not sure if it's available outside PA. Interesting company and market strategy. Everything goes into the booze, nothing into the bottle design or packaging.
Very interesting story. Looks like my Memorial Day weekend route is I-84 to I-81. Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom