OT: Giants | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Shurmur was a nightmare of a hire.

Going with the whole 'job is up in the air' so nobody knows what's going on or gets comfortable in their role is a death sentence. QB1 has to focus on the game plan and techniques, not whether he's gonna lose his job. One permanent switch is fine.

Although, the bold might pay off for the Giants this year, given draft position.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Going with the whole 'job is up in the air' so nobody knows what's going on or gets comfortable in their role is a death sentence. QB1 has to focus on the game plan and techniques, not whether he's gonna lose his job. One permanent switch is fine.

Although, the bold might pay off for the Giants this year, given draft position.

Get a stud defender with that premium pick and take a flier on some rally interetinf day 2 QBs.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Welp. Guy doesn’t know how to follow instructions while driving a motor vehicle and we expect him to navigate a safety blitz.

Blow up the team.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Shurmur was a nightmare of a hire.
The issue that he has is that he is aware of the backlash that McAdoo took for (rightly) benching Eli last yr. Ownership has been crazy wishy-washy on the Eli topic and immediately threw McAdoo under the bus last year. I'd be cautious if I were Shurmur too. The Eli situation is delicate. As much as people are ready to move on, a large part of the fan base LOVES Eli and want him to be treated with class. The other thing...maybe Lauletta hasn't showed much in practice. Furthermore, I think Shurmur is well aware that his OL is pathetic.

With all that said, I think Lauletta will get some starts later this season.

Shurmur has not had a good year. He's also been dealt a pretty hand. OBJ nonsense. Crap QB, Crap OL. Gano hits a 63 yarder. Just sucky. Gettleman hasn't exactly been a prize either. I think passing on a QB was the biggest mistake. As much as I like Barkley, they better have a plan for QB or it'll be long next couple seasons.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The issue that he has is that he is aware of the backlash that McAdoo took for (rightly) benching Eli last yr. Ownership has been crazy wishy-washy on the Eli topic and immediately threw McAdoo under the bus last year. I'd be cautious if I were Shurmur too. The Eli situation is delicate. As much as people are ready to move on, a large part of the fan base LOVES Eli and want him to be treated with class. The other thing...maybe Lauletta hasn't showed much in practice. Furthermore, I think Shurmur is well aware that his OL is pathetic.

Shurmur has not had a good year. He's also been dealt a pretty Shittu hand. OBJ nonsense. Crap QB, Crap OL. Gano hits a 63 yarder. Just sucky. Gettleman hasn't exactly been a prize either. I think passing on a QB was the biggest mistake. As much as I like Barkley, they better have a plan for QB or it'll be long next couple seasons.

The problem with Eli's benching last year was that (a) it was handled poorly and (b) they replaced him with Geno Smith rather than Webb. It would have been one thing to say, this season's a bust so we're going to try to develop the guy we think will be the next QB (never mind what happened later; hindsight's 20/20), but Geno? It just looked like the organization was essentially saying, Eli's the big problem and this team is just a mediocre QB away from success.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Get a stud defender with that premium pick and take a flier on some rally interetinf day 2 QBs.

If there's no QBs sure, but if there's somebody, you gotta draft him. A football team is effectively worthless without a QB, year in year out.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Shurmur has not had a good year. He's also been dealt a pretty Shittu hand. OBJ nonsense. Crap QB, Crap OL. Gano hits a 63 yarder. Just sucky. Gettleman hasn't exactly been a prize either. I think passing on a QB was the biggest mistake. As much as I like Barkley, they better have a plan for QB or it'll be long next couple seasons.

So announce exactly what's going to happen before the season: "Eli's our QB. If we aren't going to make the playoffs, we'll give Lauletta a look later in the year."

Don't be like "we'll see" or "it's up to the guys" or "it's a competition" in the middle of the season.

This ain't rocket science or navigating a minefield.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
The problem with Eli's benching last year was that (a) it was handled poorly and (b) they replaced him with Geno Smith rather than Webb. It would have been one thing to say, this season's a bust so we're going to try to develop the guy we think will be the next QB (never mind what happened later; hindsight's 20/20), but Geno? It just looked like the organization was essentially saying, Eli's the big problem and this team is just a mediocre QB away from success.
I get that, but I think the idea was that Eli needed to get benched. Season was over. They were gonna roll with Geno for a game or 2 then try Webb. It never got there because ownership changed course and threw McAdoo under the bus. I have NO DOUBT that McAdoo got ownership approval before benching Eli. The other thing is, like I said about Lauletta ealier...maybe McAdoo knew that Webb wasn't good enough. I mean, he's not even on an active roster...he's on a practice squad...

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
So announce exactly what's going to happen before the season: "Eli's our QB. If we aren't going to make the playoffs, we'll give Lauletta a look later in the year."

Don't be like "we'll see" or "it's up to the guys" or "it's a competition" in the middle of the season.

This ain't rocket science or navigating a minefield.
I get that, but I don't think it's that simple. Fans have a weird attachment to Eli. I love that he got us the 2 SBs, but he's been bad for a few years now. Ownership loves him too.

I don't think any coach would ever mention anything about not making the playoffs before the season. That just seems like a bad idea to me. Also, Lauletta is a rookie. Who knows if he's even close to ready. Apparently, he has to almost run over cops to get to practice on time. Alex Tanney isn't the answer. So maybe they want to get Lauletta more reps. I honestly don't care about the coach speak because I expect it from them. Can throw these guys under the bus.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I get that, but I don't think it's that simple. Fans have a weird attachment to Eli. I love that he got us the 2 SBs, but he's been bad for a few years now. Ownership loves him too.

Yeah, but that's part of being a good coach. You have to make unpopular decisions for that are best for the team. If you are worried about upsetting people, you're not focused on doing the very best you possibly can. If you're worried about being fired, just quit, because you aren't gonna be there for very long.

I don't think any coach would ever mention anything about not making the playoffs before the season. That just seems like a bad idea to me. Also, Lauletta is a rookie. Who knows if he's even close to ready. Apparently, he has to almost run over cops to get to practice on time. Alex Tanney isn't the answer. So maybe they want to get Lauletta more reps. I honestly don't care about the coach speak because I expect it from them. Can throw these guys under the bus.

I wasn't clear on what I was saying. I meant you tell that to the QBs in private. Tell at least Eli. I do think he'd do that. Just level with him, so he knows where he stands and there is no ambiguity. In public, you just say, "Eli is our QB." Until he isn't.

Reaction Score
I don't blame Shurmur at all for this. This disaster goes way above him

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Yeah, but that's part of being a good coach. You have to make unpopular decisions for that are best for the team. If you are worried about upsetting people, you're not focused on doing the very best you possibly can. If you're worried about being fired, just quit, because you aren't gonna be there for very long.

I wasn't clear on what I was saying. I meant you tell that to the QBs in private. Tell at least Eli. I do think he'd do that. Just level with him, so he knows where he stands and there is no ambiguity. In public, you just say, "Eli is our QB." Until he isn't.
I somewhat agree with what you're saying about him being a good coach. However, if ownership gives a directive about handling things a certain way, he needs to follow that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Eli and fan service killed the Giants.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I somewhat agree with what you're saying about him being a good coach. However, if ownership gives a directive about handling things a certain way, he needs to follow that.

No doubt. Not a job you want if that's what ownership is indeed doing. Wellington never would have. Don't know about John, but he doesn't seem to have his forbear's touch.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
No doubt. Not a job you want if that's what ownership is indeed doing. Wellington never would have. Don't know about John, but he doesn't seem to have his forbear's touch.
Agreed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Food for thought:

The Rough Road of the Rookie Quarterback (And It’s Only Week 10)

In April, for the first time in N.F.L. draft history, four quarterbacks were selected among the top 10 picks. It was considered by many draft analysts to be the most impressive class of rookie quarterbacks entering the league since 1983, when Dan Marino, John Elway and Jim Kelly arrived.

But despite each showing brief flashes of success, the early returns have not been pretty. By the end of September, all four — Darnold of the Jets, Baker Mayfield of the Cleveland Browns, Josh Rosen of the Arizona Cardinals and Josh Allen of the Buffalo Bills — were starting. Six weeks later, each has a losing record and a quarterback rating among the bottom six in the league. Two have been injured, and two have seen their offensive coordinators fired.

Reaction Score
Been saying this with every saquon argument. Which rookie did we miss out on? Looks like we have the only top 10 pick who isn’t just producing but putting up MVP numbers (if only we were above .500). I aside from Barkley, am not a hostage to the roulette wheel of the draft. I am all about game ready younger veterans that aren’t projects. As a UConn fan I’m over projects. What the giants line look like if they just had 5/6 average pros? I would assume middle of the pack at least and that’s without a bonified pro bowler. Trade the picks to some other gamblers and go after any non New England fa.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom