OT-Former Coach Edsall Happy For Huskies Bowl Bid | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-Former Coach Edsall Happy For Huskies Bowl Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
After he failed to get the GTech job, Edsall said he would be at UConn for "as long as you will have me." And never stopped working the phones until he left like a thief in a night. Whatever he says means nothing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've talked Edsall with Sio. He isn't mad so I feel I have no right to be.

Isn't this the best part. Plenty here like to cry about how Edsall left on behalf of the team - yet the team doesn't seem to care.

If you look at what Edsall did here and are mad at the guy I question your sanity.

If you think just anyone could have accomplished what he did - I don't even need to question your sanity.

Reaction Score
Edsall recruited Mike Nebrich. It is not his fault former "Coach" Pasqualoni had no ability to judge talent.

I also find it had to believe that he convinced Todman to leave while forcing him to tell his teammates, then making an about-face in the manner he did.

You can have whatever opinion you wish, but it may go over better if they were based in the least bit of common sense.

I didn't like how Edsall left. I am even more disappointed with how the Athletic Director responded, but some of this stuff is pure fantasy.

His last two recruiting classes were a shambles. Difton etc Gonzo. Look back to see who stayed. We lost more than 50% of th 2009 team before we started. He had no QB and once he saw Nebrich against Louisville and his incoming O-line he was gone. Edsall left huge holes. Pasqualoni had no QB and was smart enough to find Whitmer.

I was a very big Edsall supporter on this board. I wish he would have stayed, but the team was a shambles when he left.

How he left was reprehensible.

Those are the facts - Todman is pure conjecture, but I would bet n it.

Reaction Score
I like Dez, I think this board trolls him for no good reason, but if you really want to "move on", why write that article? I can't believe anyone here cares what Edsall thinks but I guess some do.

Reaction Score
Wonder if he hopes he gets a call if Diaco leaves in a year or two....

Reaction Score
God almighty. Somebody kill this thread now. Execution style.

Stop feeding the Syracuse troll sports writer.

Syracuse sucks. Edsall didnot get sniffed for the job at Syracuse and he's sure as hellnnkmkkknnmnlm not coming back to uconn.

Reaction Score
He left it awful and left awfully. Completely disagree.

Left us with no D1 QB and no OL prospects or O-Line. More than half the 2009 class just disappeared off the face of the earth. He cannot recruit. Convinced Todman to go pro because there was no O-Line left.

Then he leaves in the middle of the night like the Baltimore Colts. Sends a text message to the team then goes for his dream job.

Give me a break. Don't let the door hit you in the on the way out.

OL was in good shape P's first year. Ryan and Petrus were still in the mix. McCombs ran well behind a good run blocking line. There was no development after that and the blocking schemes were completely revamped. Bennett and Greene were good OL prospects. They were never developed and never hit the weight room the way they should have. There was even some decent skill position players in Ryan and Nick Williams. The defense was absolutely loaded and one of the best in the country in 2011 and certainly in 2012. Holes to fill? Sure. Shambles? No way.

The Todman comment is pure conjecture.

Reaction Score
I was a bit disappointed after this thread got off to a slow start. But it's now picking up steam. Gonna pop the popcorn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was a bit disappointed after this thread got off to a slow start. But it's now picking up steam. Gonna pop the popcorn.

Edsall left so much P but together back to back 5-7 seasons. When Edsall's players were mostly gone,- they were going to go 0-12 if not for a Cochran miracle in Philadelphia.

There are a lot of crazy ideas here - blaming Edsall for 2011-2013 is like claiming the moon landing was fake.

Reaction Score
If Edsall had stayed past the Fiesta Bowl ... I feel that Robbie Frey would have been a priority of his; and, I would have loved seeing that kid play that year. And, there is no way Edsall would have been unprepared at QB & had Johnny McEntee the primary guy. Edsall, in my view, was a damn good manager of the entire roster. He developed all the components and he didn't find himself with weak OL or DL or one small RB.

Then: there's this time of year. Recruiting, I feel Diaco just has a far better reach across many of the markets we need. Edsall, often, was pushing the envelope - and he often won (see Darius Butler, HS QB, coming in so easily to be a CB). Maybe Terry Richardson. Many times, I thought he brought in a kid in January (at the end of the month before Signing Day) that he was really grabbing in the bargain bin. Diaco has a much more refined board & plan. Edsall = good for this Program's first years; Diaco = solid propects here in our 15th year. PP? No way no how.

Reaction Score
If Edsall had stayed past the Fiesta Bowl ... I feel that Robbie Frey would have been a priority of his; and, I would have loved seeing that kid play that year. And, there is no way Edsall would have been unprepared at QB & had Johnny McEntee the primary guy. Edsall, in my view, was a damn good manager of the entire roster. He developed all the components and he didn't find himself with weak OL or DL or one small RB.

Then: there's this time of year. Recruiting, I feel Diaco just has a far better reach across many of the markets we need. Edsall, often, was pushing the envelope - and he often won (see Darius Butler, HS QB, coming in so easily to be a CB). Maybe Terry Richardson. Many times, I thought he brought in a kid in January (at the end of the month before Signing Day) that he was really grabbing in the bargain bin. Diaco has a much more refined board & plan. Edsall = good for this Program's first years; Diaco = solid propects here in our 15th year. PP? No way no how.

I still don't understand how I could be so wrong about PP. Coming from CT, PP had the support of most if not all of the HS coaches. He had the experiences and yet he bombed out.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I still don't understand how I could be so wrong about PP. Coming from CT, PP had the support of most if not all of the HS coaches. He had the experiences and yet he bombed out.
Open your eyes...

Reaction Score

Because you need more than to be able to recruit CT to compete in D1 football.

CT HS Football has made enormous strides in the last 10 years (look at the current national Defensive Player of the Year), but it's still not a top 4 recruiting state in the Northeast.

Even if HCPP could have recruited the best of CT (which he obviously couldn't) he needed more. He needed PA, NY, MD and NJ and he didn't have those connections anymore.

The fact that the administration touted his CT strengths as a rationale for the hire should have set off sirens everywhere.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
warbler13 said:

Because regardless of your knowledge, experience, talent, or past results, you need to do the work to succeed consistently. That's not just football, that's life.

PP and friends thought they could spend a few years with low expectations coaching football they way they used to do it.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="
The fact that the administration touted his CT strengths as a rationale for the hire should have set off sirens everywhere.[/QUOTE]

1000%

Reaction Score
At least the high school coaches got what they wanted. And saw what a colossal failure that was.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="
The fact that the administration touted his CT strengths as a rationale for the hire should have set off sirens everywhere.

1000%[/QUOTE]

I remember thinking that at the time. My exact thought when they started pushing the narrative that 'every HS coach in CT knew him' and 'he can keep the talent home' was, "Well that's not exactly a strong rationale to hire the guy."

But at the time I thought, "Hey this is a guy that coached Donovan McNab, Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney, maybe he knows a thing or two." So I gave the admin the benefit of the doubt.

Boy was I wrong.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
At least the high school coaches got what they wanted. And saw what a colossal failure that was.
Next time they CTHSFCA gives a recommendation for our State University, go opposite.

Reaction Score
There is no question that Jeff Hathaway messed up when he hired PP. PP ruined the program that I love. May be for all the reasons above, PP failed. In addition he did not have the energy nor the connection to the players. His OC GDL sucked big time. I was referring to the very beginning of the hire when I said I did not predict this colossal failure. In retrospect, UConn Hathaway would be better served had he listened to that millionaire from Greenwich.

Reaction Score
There is no question that Jeff Hathaway messed up when he hired PP. PP ruined the program that I love. May be for all the reasons above, PP failed. In addition he did not have the energy nor the connection to the players. His OC GDL sucked big time. I was referring to the very beginning of the hire when I said I did not predict this colossal failure. In retrospect, UConn Hathaway would be better served had he listened to that millionaire from Greenwich.

Oh god yeah. Nobody associated with UConn from 2011-13 looks good except for Robert G. Burton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom