OT-Former Coach Edsall Happy For Huskies Bowl Bid | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT-Former Coach Edsall Happy For Huskies Bowl Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you really want to knock Edsall's recruiting, the fair arguments are his inability to really ever recruit a top flight QB post Orlovsky and the OL recruiting his last 2 years on the job. Go back and look at his last 2 OL classes and you'll get a sense of why we went south in a hurry.

Cruz
Hansson
McKee
Paull
Hemingway
Gifford
Nwokeji

That's 2 years straight years of OL recruits. Edsall's last 2 classes. Not gonna win with that hit/miss ratio.
TE issue too.

Reaction Score
McQuillan was serviceable. You could get away with subpar TE play. You can't get away with that on the OL.

I think the
idaho potato guy was talking about the recruiting problem at TE that led to say, Tim Boyle thriwing to a wide open TE in the endzone against USF homecoming a while back, but the TE dropped it because he was a walk on 5th year senior.

Reaction Score
I thought McQ was decent. I think he was the best blocker of the bunch last year and should have been this year. Hansson was going to start before he left with eligibility

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think the
idaho potato guy was talking about the recruiting problem at TE that led to say, Tim Boyle thriwing to a wide open TE in the endzone against USF homecoming a while back, but the TE dropped it because he was a walk on 5th year senior.

Spencer Parker.

Reaction Score
If you really want to knock Edsall's recruiting, the fair arguments are his inability to really ever recruit a top flight QB post Orlovsky and the OL recruiting his last 2 years on the job. Go back and look at his last 2 OL classes and you'll get a sense of why we went south in a hurry.

Cruz
Hansson
McKee
Paull
Hemingway
Gifford
Nwokeji

That's 2 years straight years of OL recruits. Edsall's last 2 classes. Not gonna win with that hit/miss ratio.
Somewhere in there we lost Kureacza from Ansonia. Big hit. He was pretty good. Could have been the best maybe.

Reaction Score
Our defense was very good. You'll notice that there are two total offensive players on that list. Neither of which played QB, RB, or OL.

How many really good football teams have you seen with no good play at QB, RB, or OL? Out of curiosity?
The roster was misaligned. Drastically. Losing Endres, Todman (early) and Robbie Frey hurt immensely.

I think that Edsall may have snuck in a bowl that year, even with McCentee or Box and McCombs. After that he would have had the same plight and discovered it was a mess that he created.

Awful job that year recruiting linemen - OL mentioned by Serrano.

Reaction Score
Or maybe we stopped developing offensive lineman well thanks to an incompetent offensive line coach, terrible culture, an subpar strength and conditioning? That makes more sense to me than Edsall just randomly losing the ability to find talent on the offensive line after years of that being our strength. QB position, he left us in a bad spot, offensive line he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

The idea that he convinced Todman to go pro is some crazy conspiracy theory that has no common sense behind it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Or maybe we stopped developing offensive lineman well thanks to an incompetent offensive line coach, terrible culture, an subpar strength and conditioning? That makes more sense to me than Edsall just randomly losing the ability to find talent on the offensive line after years of that being our strength.
The reality is it was all of the above, not either/or.

C

Chief00

Classy of him to say those things. Edsall also contributed a very generous gift towards Jaz's monument at the Rent. Sure he left under less-than-admirable terms, but he's been very classy towards UConn since. He left more because of Jeff Hathaway, not any kind of dislike of UConn.

Edsall would have been better off staying at UConn and I think he realizes that now at some level. UConn was grateful for what he did; but also accepted the Edsall ceilings - never could get top ranked recruits but was good at finding under the radar talent. Ran a solid program but was not an offensive innovator and so on.
The one disconnect - his lectures about building a high character program never quite match his character profile - yeah he did some good things but when having to choose between himself or the players - the players always got thrown under the bus even if he was the one who couldn't execute on something.
So now he is a failure at Maryland despite all their UA funding and connections. The filter for another college head coach job will now be he had all that and still couldn't succeed or even avoid a really poor record. Moreover, the school with the opening knows they can't give him those advantages - so why hire him? That will be a real curse that will slot him for assistant jobs or lower division jobs.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
maybe he's "dreaming" about his UConn job

"glory days, and the wink of a young girl's eye"

Reaction Score
I wonder what happened to Box and to Nebrich?
I did mean Box not Nebrich - husky 10 correct.

He left no QB, no RB. McCombs had to play as a Freshman.

The last class of 2009 we lost Aiken Chambers Kinnard Osieki Gennerett Lopes Brandon Kenney Box Chambers Difton and Lang. There was Trevardo Friend Stephen an a couple of otheres. WE LOST 12 of 21 of Edsall's recruits. 2010 we got Byron Jones Geremy Davis and Smallwood. McCombs in there as well. We lost a ton more kids and then many never saw the field. No OL guys that stuck.

Compounded with the PP hire and this was bad. Real bad. Not saying no talent but the entire roster was completely misaligned and RE saw this and bolted as fast as he could. Whoever the next coach was he was left holding the bag. The best they could do was PP with that roster.

Todman should have waited. Edsall told him to go, I am convinced. Yes Jordan next year your QB will be Mike Box or Johnny McCentee. Maybe our new guys Mike Nebrich or Scott McCummings will be ready. Yes Jordan we have a good line but we can't throw 5 yards. The entire opponents defense will tackle you. Your numbers will be down go now.

We would have gone bowling if Edsall had stayed. We were good enough. Even with McCentee. The line was good enough then but he recruited nothing in the way of OL. A bunch of SO and FR, most who never saw the field. But, the mess he left was not felt until 2 or 3 years hence.

Please look at the 2011 and 2012 rosters and tell me what was left was good enough to field a decent team.

http://cfbmatrix.com/special-featur...t-rosterdepth-charts/uconn-rosterdepth-chart/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom