OT-Former Coach Edsall Happy For Huskies Bowl Bid | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT-Former Coach Edsall Happy For Huskies Bowl Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
PP had the support of most if not all of the HS coaches...

That was all about supporting one of their own, not supporting UConn. The CT HS coaches never supported UConn, sending kids out of state made them feel big-time. UConn was always something to be taken for granted. They used to kill JC when he was just getting started. Luckily JC was secure enough in what he was doing to ignore their BS.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
At the time the debate was experienced HC or roll the dice with another unknown. Since we weren't going to get an established star, that meant a retread of sorts.

The thinking was a safe choice maintains the success establishing the program as one with staying power. An unproven coach might turn the Edsall era into a freak event. We got the worst of both because JH was inexperienced in big time football and didn't have faith in the program's foundation.

2011 was a nom walk on QB away from another good season. 2012 would have also been pretty good with the continuity in place. 2013 would have been a step back instead of a disaster, and 2014 would not have been the 2-10 debacle.

That's my assumption with the pieces we had. If you want to assume the continuity of Oline play, then I think we would have made a bowl game every year and had a shot for a league title in either 2011 or 2012. But that's a lot to assume.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
His last two recruiting classes were a shambles. Difton etc Gonzo. Look back to see who stayed. We lost more than 50% of th 2009 team before we started. He had no QB and once he saw Nebrich against Louisville and his incoming O-line he was gone. Edsall left huge holes. Pasqualoni had no QB and was smart enough to find Whitmer.

I was a very big Edsall supporter on this board. I wish he would have stayed, but the team was a shambles when he left.

How he left was reprehensible.

Those are the facts - Todman is pure conjecture, but I would bet n it.

Not only do you confuse your pronouns, you are re-writing history. Once who saw Nebrich vs. Louisville? Former 'Coach" Pasqualoni? Nebrich was only at UConn for a single season and did not record a trackable statistic once the calendar turned to October. The Louisville game was on November 19. Edsall? He left the program a full 10 months prior. Also, a 165 lb. 3rd down scatback gained 1,150 yards behind that 2011 "no prospect" O-line. And speaking of prospects, Prospect + Development = Player. It is the job of the then current coaching staff to get his own players ready to step between the lines.

Your entire post- not just the Todman part - can't even be considered conjecture. By definition, conjecture is rooted in incomplete factual information. There is at least a minute possibility of it actually occurring. Your opinion is shaped by your own fictional narrative.

Reaction Score
Not only do you confuse your pronouns, you are re-writing history. Once who saw Nebrich vs. Louisville? Former 'Coach" Pasqualoni? Nebrich was only at UConn for a single season and did not record a trackable statistic once the calendar turned to October. The Louisville game was on November 19. Edsall? He left the program a full 10 months prior.
I believe he is thinking of Michael Box starting in the Louisville game in 2010.

Reaction Score
kill me.jpg

Reaction Score
Not only do you confuse your pronouns, you are re-writing history. Once who saw Nebrich vs. Louisville? Former 'Coach" Pasqualoni? Nebrich was only at UConn for a single season and did not record a trackable statistic once the calendar turned to October. The Louisville game was on November 19. Edsall? He left the program a full 10 months prior. Also, a 165 lb. 3rd down scatback gained 1,150 yards behind that 2011 "no prospect" O-line. And speaking of prospects, Prospect + Development = Player. It is the job of the then current coaching staff to get his own players ready to step between the lines.

Your entire post- not just the Todman part - can't even be considered conjecture. By definition, conjecture is rooted in incomplete factual information. There is at least a minute possibility of it actually occurring. Your opinion is shaped by your own fictional narrative.

My favorite part is when he claims Edsall's last two recruiting classes were terrible. The classes that produced 4 NFL draft picks and multiple undrafted free agents including the No. 27 pick overall in Byron Jones.

Reaction Score
1000%

I remember thinking that at the time. My exact thought when they started pushing the narrative that 'every HS coach in CT knew him' and 'he can keep the talent home' was, "Well that's not exactly a strong rationale to hire the guy."

But at the time I thought, "Hey this is a guy that coached Donovan McNab, Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney, maybe he knows a thing or two." So I gave the admin the benefit of the doubt.

Boy was I wrong.[/QUOTE]
I was fooled into thinking P was the right guy by his resume of bowling at the Cuse and then running the D with the Cowboys. I wanted to give the guy a chance to recruit his way into a winning program but by year three it was obvious he didn't have the team prepared.

Reaction Score

I did mean Box not Nebrich - husky 10 correct.

He left no QB, no RB. McCombs had to play as a Freshman.

The last class of 2009 we lost Aiken Chambers Kinnard Osieki Gennerett Lopes Brandon Kenney Box Chambers Difton and Lang. There was Trevardo Friend Stephen an a couple of otheres. WE LOST 12 of 21 of Edsall's recruits. 2010 we got Byron Jones Geremy Davis and Smallwood. McCombs in there as well. We lost a ton more kids and then many never saw the field. No OL guys that stuck.

Compounded with the PP hire and this was bad. Real bad. Not saying no talent but the entire roster was completely misaligned and RE saw this and bolted as fast as he could. Whoever the next coach was he was left holding the bag. The best they could do was PP with that roster.

Todman should have waited. Edsall told him to go, I am convinced. Yes Jordan next year your QB will be Mike Box or Johnny McCentee. Maybe our new guys Mike Nebrich or Scott McCummings will be ready. Yes Jordan we have a good line but we can't throw 5 yards. The entire opponents defense will tackle you. Your numbers will be down go now.

We would have gone bowling if Edsall had stayed. We were good enough. Even with McCentee. The line was good enough then but he recruited nothing in the way of OL. A bunch of SO and FR, most who never saw the field. But, the mess he left was not felt until 2 or 3 years hence.

Please look at the 2011 and 2012 rosters and tell me what was left was good enough to field a decent team.

http://cfbmatrix.com/special-featur...t-rosterdepth-charts/uconn-rosterdepth-chart/http://cfbmatrix.com/special-featur...t-rosterdepth-charts/uconn-rosterdepth-chart/

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I see you finally learned how the Internet works. Good job. Three posts (in this thread) too late, it appears. Be that as it may, you neither help your case, nor credibility.

Good day, Sir.

Reaction Score
I remember thinking that at the time. My exact thought when they started pushing the narrative that 'every HS coach in CT knew him' and 'he can keep the talent home' was, "Well that's not exactly a strong rationale to hire the guy."

But at the time I thought, "Hey this is a guy that coached Donovan McNab, Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney, maybe he knows a thing or two." So I gave the admin the benefit of the doubt.

Everyone always threw out the "Connecticut High School Coaches Support" but at least from my portion of the state, everyone hated the guy. All of the good coaches that I know hated PP and didn't know how he was given the head coaching position. Maybe it's fairfield county bias against the guy or something but everyone I spoke to had nothing nice to say about him - especially the people that worked with him when he was at West Conn

Reaction Score
Everyone always threw out the "Connecticut High School Coaches Support" but at least from my portion of the state, everyone hated the guy. All of the good coaches that I know hated PP and didn't know how he was given the head coaching position. Maybe it's fairfield county bias against the guy or something but everyone I spoke to had nothing nice to say about him - especially the people that worked with him when he was at West Conn
You must have not spoken to Marce Petroccio and Lou Marinelli

Reaction Score
You must have not spoken to Marce Petroccio and Lou Marinelli

Different conference. Lou is a BS'r and will tell anyone what they want to hear so that doesn't surprise me. A little surprised to hear Petroccio supported him, though. He's typically a straight shooter - I guess he was just wrong or was personally invested in the hire.

Reaction Score
Different conference. Lou is a BS'r and will tell anyone what they want to hear so that doesn't surprise me. A little surprised to hear Petroccio supported him, though. He's typically a straight shooter - I guess he was just wrong or was personally invested in the hire.
He played for him at West Conn...so didn't Fillipone at Hand and Addazio who was later on that staff. And you can now add GHS to the list with John Marinelli the HC there now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That's because the Connecticut High School Coaches Association sent a letter to UConn athletic director Jeff Hathaway pushing P for the job. And it worked. In fact, many of the state's high school coaches were grinning ear to ear at his introduction. And these same knobs were "stunned" when he got canned and one all but called Manual a liar. None of these guys are friends of the program.
Reading those articles really make you realize how bad that a s s hat Hathaway screwed up that search. Compare the list of finalists he had for a team that had just played in a BCS bowl game to the list Manuel had when he hired Diaco.

Reaction Score
You guys are Hilarious. You can still be hurt or feel abandoned by Edsall if you want - hell I won't knock you for that - but this idea that he left the cupboard bear for Pasqualoni is laughable.

I mean look at the draft picks UConn has produced - all his recruits - since he left:

2015 1 27 27 Byron Jones Cowboys DB
6 10 186 Geremy Davis Giants WR

2014 7 5 220 Shamar Stephen Vikings DT
7 38 253 Yawin Smallwood Falcons LB

2013 3 2 64 Dwayne Gratz Jaguars DB
3 4 66 Sio Moore Raiders LB
3 8 70 Blidi Wreh-Wilson Titans DB
4 27 124 Trevardo Williams Texans DE
6 33 201 Ryan Griffin Texans TE

2012 2 17 49 Kendall Reyes Chargers DT
I mean in 2013 ALONE we had 5 guys drafted and that team went 5-7 and missed a bowl game.

FWIW I think Diaco is going to prove to be a better coach at UConn than Edsall was on the field and on the recruiting trail.

But let's not pretend that Edsall didn't have an eye for talent and was a terrible recruiter.

Our defense was very good. You'll notice that there are two total offensive players on that list. Neither of which played QB, RB, or OL.

How many really good football teams have you seen with no good play at QB, RB, or OL? Out of curiosity?

Reaction Score
If you really want to knock Edsall's recruiting, the fair arguments are his inability to really ever recruit a top flight QB post Orlovsky and the OL recruiting his last 2 years on the job. Go back and look at his last 2 OL classes and you'll get a sense of why we went south in a hurry.

Cruz
Hansson
McKee
Paull
Hemingway
Gifford
Nwokeji

That's 2 years straight years of OL recruits. Edsall's last 2 classes. Not gonna win with that hit/miss ratio.

Reaction Score
Our defense was very good. You'll notice that there are two total offensive players on that list. Neither of which played QB, RB, or OL.

How many really good football teams have you seen with no good play at QB, RB, or OL? Out of curiosity?

I don't think it's fair to knock him for not getting offense recruits that were the caliber of our defensive recruits, because remember, that list is only a sampling of the drafted players he recruited post his departure.

If you look at the larger list of UConn Huskies that were drafted during his tenure the list evens out quite a bit and includes:

RB Anthony Sherman - 5th, 2011
RB Jordan Todman - 6th, 2011
WR Marcus Easily - 4th, 2010
RB Donald Brown - 1st, 2009
OL William Beatty, 2nd, 2009
OL Donald Thomas, 6th 2008
RB Deon Anderson, 6th 2007
QB Dan Orlovsky, 5th 2006

Overall 10 of his 25 guys he sent to the NFL via the draft were offensive players. That's not as much of a startling imbalance as you would think.

Ultimately did he recruit better defensively than offensively? Sure. But there are very few coaches who can claim to recruit both sides of the ball equally effectively and the ones that do are usually in the national title hunt every year.

Reaction Score

Also, a number of Edsall's offensive guys transferred out or were forced out under HCPP and HCBD, look at Steelers WR Shak Phillips who transferred to BC.

Reaction Score
Also, a number of Edsall's offensive guys transferred out or were forced out under HCPP and HCBD, look at Steelers WR Shak Phillips who transferred to BC.

Phillips transferred in from BC after Edsall was gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom