OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches. | Page 23 | The Boneyard

OT: FBI has reportedly arrested several NCAA basketball assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While this is riveting stuff, especially given the schools involved so far, what is really scary about this is that many people have thought this has been going on for decades and is widespread throughout D1 athletics. If this is the case, and many more schools start to get investigated and more apparel companies start to get investigated this could tear apart the revenue producing college sports. I'm not saying end them, just totally mess them up for a while. It may lead to changes that are good, but those of us who like college sports may not like some of the things we will hear. I would think this would be widespread mostly in the cases of high end recruits that the apparel companies think have a great shot at making the NBA and not all recruiting. Why would Addidas for example pay to influence a two star unranked recruit to wear their shoes? But we may not like what we hear over the next few weeks.

Reaction Score
Gatto would never have expected to go to jail and Adidas will separate themselves from him quick. He's going to tell ALL;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They represent 3 recent Cuse players. ( Christmas , McCullough and Richardson) Someone hand me a tissue, I just made a mess
I went to Five Guys to celebrate. Normally I get a lil cheeseburger. Not today. Had the two paddy regular cheeseburger. Time for you to head over to Arbys.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
“I don’t know anything about that,” Bowen’s mother, Carrie Malecke, said when contacted Tuesday by the Courier-Journal. “I don’t know anything about that. I’m not aware of anything like that. Not me. I had no idea.”

Bowen's father, Brian Bowen Sr., could not be reached for comment.

This will be the response of most if not all families.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I really hope this wasn't the change in recruiting @Chief00 was talking about with chill at blaze
I'd worry if we got Jalen but not for Akinjo or Matthews.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The part of this that is very odd to me is with this activity is so widespread, how is it being kept out of the light for so long? What kept some 17 - 18 year old kid from bragging to the wrong person? It seems to me that there must be some pressure coming from some direction that is preventing it from coming out. I understand that there were always insinuations and allegations but federal indictments usually mean are the result of some very heavy duty investigative work. Just how were they able to keep all of this under wraps for so long?

It hasn't.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Newsflash.. this has been going on forever. My guess is no five star picks a school without being compensated some how. Let's not be surprised that this is going on. What's surprising to me is that they got caught.
Yes but this is different. This is not the NCAA and minions. This is the FBI, Federal Prosecutors from Manhattan bringing felony charges and one might expect this to be something that continues as we find out in the future who will be singing. Thought I read in one of the articles that this investigation has been going on for years. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Remember when UofL fans called UConn "cheaters" after the Larry Taylor game?

ba1.jpg

Yeahh . . . . . . . .that's some good tea.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The NCAA is indeed toothless. The FBI is not. Congress is not. This is likely the tip of the iceberg. Does anyone thing that jailing college coaches, AAU personnel and sneaker company people will have no effect? Really?
Definitely agree. When the FBI and the boys from Southern Manhattan get involved it can really get big quickly. I think this will continue.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Does the kid get caught up in this too? Idk how this works. You'd have to think something went his way at some point. But without tangible evidence, it's useless. At the very least, the NCAA will investigate him
That should not be hard.
It seems they do have tangible evidence (the Lousiville asst on tape coordinating the payments). I don't think the player did anything illegal, though, but there's 0 chance he plays an NCAA game.
I guess the kids will have to report it on their tax return this year. Do you think Adidas will send them 1099's?

Reaction Score
Hopefully this is not a duplicate of an earlier post.

If Adidas paid $150k to a recruit and/or his family how did they show this on their books, not like it's a $90.00 bottle of wine at a business dinner you fluff on an expense account request.

If Adidas did it for one they must have done it for others, I assume the FBI has a forensic accounting team camped in Adidas as we post.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Hopefully this is not a duplicate of an earlier post.

If Adidas paid $150k to a recruit and/or his family how did they show this on their books, not like it's a $90.00 bottle of wine at a business dinner you fluff on an expense account request.

If Adidas did it for one they must have done it for others, I assume the FBI has a forensic accounting team camped in Adidas as we post.

I wonder if @nelsonmuntz has shorted adidas yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom