OT - ESPN Layoffs | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT - ESPN Layoffs

Reaction Score
Right now, there is a business model to show NFL games for free paid for by advertisers. You don't even need cable. The only games you have pay for or you need cable are the ones on ESPN.

The business model of forcing people to pay for a channel that few watch is now in decline. It is going to be a painful 5 to 10 years for ESPN and I would expect continued layoffs.
Once they do away with competion, only good things happen. Right.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I just flicked it on for a sec...what is happening to Bob Ryan?!?

Hopefully just a successful weight loss.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will preface this by mentioning that I know nothing about sports media. But this seems like a nice opportunity for The Ringer to snag some talent. Simmons' fresh faces aren't jack compared to his Grantland "finds." Their NBA coverage sucks and they could gain some immediate credibility. Mays is good, but same goes for NFL for the most part. HBO backing provides opportunity for an NFL or NBA show as well, we already see them moving into daily content with Vice. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
I turned on the TV and that nasty slag Britt McHenry was reporting for ESPN. Thankfully it looks like it was her last report but the question is, who did she have dirt on to keep her job all that time?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I like Cowherd, he brings an interesting perspective, but I can understand if some people don't. Bayless and Stephen A. are truly just trolls, you can't take them seriously. I disagree with half the words that come out of Skip's mouth, but you have to admit they are entertaining. They draw ratings. That's all television producers care about.
Broussard is just an NBA insider, who left for Fox, which was my original point-- that ESPN is losing talent to Fox. But yes, I like Broussard too.
There was no joke. Just don't take television personalities so seriously. If you don't enjoy watching them, then fine. But they must be doing something right if they've been on the air for so long.

Screen-Shot-2015-12-01-at-11.42.11-AM.png

Reaction Score
I will preface this by mentioning that I know nothing about sports media. But this seems like a nice opportunity for The Ringer to snag some talent. Simmons' fresh faces aren't jack compared to his Grantland "finds." Their NBA coverage sucks and they could gain some immediate credibility. Mays is good, but same goes for NFL for the most part. HBO backing provides opportunity for an NFL or NBA show as well, we already see them moving into daily content with Vice. Just a thought.

Aren't most of Simmons Ringer guys just people that he brought over from Grantland anyways? A lot of which were already espn employees.

Kind of wish Bill was still employed by ESPN just to see how yesterday would have played out given how much he was making his last 5-6 years therem

Reaction Score
Aren't most of Simmons Ringer guys just people that he brought over from Grantland anyways? A lot of which were already espn employees.

Kind of wish Bill was still employed by ESPN just to see how yesterday would have played out given how much he was making his last 5-6 years therem

Most of the guys I actually read on Grantland are not at The Ringer. I am mostly an NBA guy and they used to have Lowe who is the best, and at ESPN and Jonathon Abrams, who is one of the best profile piece writers. He is now at Bleacher Report / spending his time writing books. Kirk Goldsberry was always interesting as well. Jonah Keri is one of the best baseball writers in the game - not at The Ringer (I think at ESPN/538 now). I really liked Barnwell's football writing - he is back at ESPN. Wesley Morris was great for the minimal dose of pop culture writing I can stomach (now at New York Times) and Rembert Browne was very popular (I don't know why). Basically, all the good people were either taken back by ESPN or left for arguably better jobs.

The Ringer is basically staffed with the s_____y writer from Grantland who couldn't land good jobs after it folded, IMO.

Reaction Score
Most of the guys I actually read on Grantland are not at The Ringer. I am mostly an NBA guy and they used to have Lowe who is the best, and at ESPN and Jonathon Abrams, who is one of the best profile piece writers. He is now at Bleacher Report / spending his time writing books. Kirk Goldsberry was always interesting as well. Jonah Keri is one of the best baseball writers in the game - not at The Ringer (I think at ESPN/538 now). I really liked Barnwell's football writing - he is back at ESPN. Wesley Morris was great for the minimal dose of pop culture writing I can stomach (now at New York Times) and Rembert Browne was very popular (I don't know why). Basically, all the good people were either taken back by ESPN or left for arguably better jobs.

The Ringer is basically staffed with the s_____y writer from Grantland who couldn't land good jobs after it folded, IMO.

You're explaining things I already know regarding Lowe/Keri/Barnwell, but like I said, most of the Ringer staff (at least the first couple rounds of hires, haven't paid much attention since) are people that came from Grantland. Can't say that I've been keeping up with Ringer content, but the baseball writing has seemed solid from what I've checked. The "Sports & Pop Culture" thing has always seemed like a weird mix to me though.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The weird thing is no one shot well in that dome.

It was a weird setting and one thought was the depth perception was off.

On the other hand, look at the shooting numbers for everyone else against UConn during that run, it wasn't pretty.

Nobody but Oklahoma's Buddy Hield seemed to have any problem shooting at NRG Stadium in last year's Final Four. We just played great D for the entire game. Butler ran out of gas in the 2H. It happens sometimes.

Reaction Score
You're explaining things I already know regarding Lowe/Keri/Barnwell, but like I said, most of the Ringer staff (at least the first couple rounds of hires, haven't paid much attention since) are people that came from Grantland. Can't say that I've been keeping up with Ringer content, but the baseball writing has seemed solid from what I've checked. The "Sports & Pop Culture" thing has always seemed like a weird mix to me though.

Yea I think that is right but I am not really up on The Ringer either. I know their first few "big" hires were people like Chris Ryan and Juliet Litman (Lipman?) that I never check for. Shea Serrano, Andrew Sharp and Danny Chau are from Grantland but do nothing for me either. I just checked the website and I don't recognize most of the writers but there sure are a s____ ton of them.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Nobody but Oklahoma's Buddy Hield seemed to have any problem shooting at NRG Stadium in last year's Final Four. We just played great D for the entire game. Butler ran out of gas in the 2H. It happens sometimes.

The Butler/VCU game wasn't pretty either.

I remember there was a lot of commentary about that stadium during the FF.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How did Stephen A Smith not get fired? Was disappointed to see him still on

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hoge and Jaworski were awful, good to hear among others, both very angry and made too many references to when "they played"

Liked Werder a lot

Jaws angry? He's the exact opposite. More happy go lucky and takes great joy in still being around the game.

Jaws is like Gruden.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom