OT - ESPN Layoffs | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT - ESPN Layoffs

Reaction Score
Fair.

I thought Jaws was somewhat angry after they canned him from Monday Night broadcast. I thought he was dumb overall.

Hoge was angry and dumb.

Elmore & Katz were great. Those 2 weren't.

Jaws angry? He's the exact opposite. More happy go lucky and takes great joy in still being around the game.

Jaws is like Gruden.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For sure. A lot of First Take's rating has to come from the fact every gym, bar, restaurant, and office in America has ESPN on during the day on mute (which is the only way to watch First Take).

None of those are actually captured in Neilsen ratings that we see published on the websites.

Not that there aren't more people watching Spongebob - but the gyms and bars aren't in anyone's numbers that we are working off of.

Who is really watching in any way that an advertiser would care about. Nobody in the world is watching cable commercials at the gym or at lunch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bingo!

That's about when I stopped watching Sportcenter as well. I would maybe take in the occasional "Around the Horn" or "PTI", but rarely because it is the same schtick. They quickly went to a bunch of ridiculous shows that I can't imagine anyone watched ("Cold Pizza"? Really???). I'm only 41 and I'm saying, "I miss the old days..."

I was just thinking the other day that Cold Pizza was the beginning of the end. And as a concept it wouldn't even be the 10th worst sports talk show.

Reaction Score
It started with the push to be more entertainment driven and the idea of embrace debate under Shapiro - it gave us Playmakers which was great for what it was, but having a fictional dramatic series was a bit off brand, just like the wacky Hustle and Season on the Brink produced reenactments of Rose and Knight with actors, it was goofy. It also drove the opposing point of view programming shift - it was like Point/Counterpoint ripped from early 60 Minutes and forced into the Sport realm.

Long form programming like 30 for 30 is much more true to what ESPN was originally and it makes sense to have that stuff, you've got to fill the shoulder periods between games to keep folks engaged. Skipper was, maybe he still is, all about getting rights almost at all cost, he's always said it's about games (he's given you UEFA and the like) - the issue is that what the heck do you do with all the shoulder programming between the games - analysis can only go so far because at some point even the most ardent sports fan doesn't care about so much deep analysis and you can't drive tune-in in any meaningful numbers and at some point running the Sportscenter wheel is not an option (hence the live SC in the AM). Sure people are NFL fans, but if I'm a Giants fan do I really care that Phillip Rivers has an ingrown hair on his nut sack? No, unless you're a fantasy dufus and if you are it's likely you're not getting that info from ESPN because the local guy will have that info and likely drop it out there on Twitter.

The inability to understand to how platforms (new at the time) were going to fundamentally change how folks got their sports information and how quickly they received it is pretty surprising simply because the company wants to be thought of as a technology company, not just a news and information company.

Company has always know about cord cutting and feared it because they know how many or really how few would pay that for ESPN if given the option, especially in the new media landscape.

Once someone has the $ to complete with ESPN on the next major rights negotiation it will be interesting because without the robust dual revenue stream like the one they've enjoyed they'll have to make some hard decisions.

Oy sorry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom