OT - ESPN Layoffs | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT - ESPN Layoffs

Reaction Score
Andy Katz's reports were always good. One of those who wasn't into pushing his opinion, but rather presenting genuinely interesting and valuable news. Really surprised they let him go.

Those are the types that were targeted on these layoffs. ESPN wasn't interested in keeping good, objective reporters and commentators. Jacobs has it right here . . .

Reaction Score
The point is, what has ESPN ever done to help the city of Bristol and make a real impact. Its the city the company was founded in and they show an amazing lack of interest in helping the city grow and prosper.
ESPN gifted two brand new gyms to the YMCA in downtown Bristol. They're beautiful buildings and state of the art. I'm not sure of the price tag, but obviously in the millions, if not tens of millions. It may not be what you had in mind, but it is giving something back.

Reaction Score
Those are the types that were targeted on these layoffs. ESPN wasn't interested in keeping good, objective reporters and commentators. Jacobs has it right here . . .
I can understand the individual NBA team sideline reporters, but this guy was a professional for them in a variety of settings. Tough to imagine it being a good decision to let go of a guy like that. Sad commentary on the direction of the network.

Reaction Score
Bayless does not draw rating, no one watches his show. More people watch Nickelodeon cartoons in the same time slot than his show. That is an actual fact.

I find nothing entertaining about Bayless or Smith, I find them both to be insufferable human beings who are ruining sports television.

Makes sense. I have friends whose wives stay home with their young children. They leave Nickelodeon cartoons on the television all day and night for the babies/small children.

Reaction Score
This is true but I would absolutely watch a show that was 100% highlights like the old days. The market isn't as big but it hasn't disappeared. I could find all the individual highlight clips of games I want to watch on youtube (for the NBA at least) but the old-style Sports Center shows are the perfect background distraction.

I don't want to watch Michael Smith and Jemele Hill give their opinions about a handful of topics. Unfortunately, this is totally the way things are going. If you read Skipper's press release, they want to focus even more on personality driven Sports Center shows. Mike Greenberg is up next and I am sure he will find a way to leave folks underwhelmed while pocketing 5 mil. per year. All the while the best beat writer on the best and most interesting team in the fastest growing league gets s...canned over his 80k salary.

Agree completely...I have almost no use for ESPN...I used to be sure I had ESPN on my cable package, now I'm looking for a way to not pay for ESPN in my cable package. I didn't likeSmith & Hill when they jumped into other shows....I make a point of not watching the 6 p,m show because of them.

Reaction Score
Makes sense. I have friends whose wives stay home with their young children. They leave Nickelodeon cartoons on the television all day and night for the babies/small children.
For sure. A lot of First Take's rating has to come from the fact every gym, bar, restaurant, and office in America has ESPN on during the day on mute (which is the only way to watch First Take).

Reaction Score
Sucks for those losing their jobs but espn did this to themselves. I remember back in the 90s everyone literally would get up early to watch sportscenter before going to work or school. They played highlights of every game rather than only large market teams. It was highlights not a sports gossip show. I haven't watched anything but live sporting events on espn in over 10 years. I could care less about pop culture and all the bs sportscenter and espn has turned into to. It's no longer ESPN it's turned into E!SPN.

My thoughts exactly

Reaction Score
For sure. A lot of First Take's rating has to come from the fact every gym, bar, restaurant, and office in America has ESPN on during the day on mute (which is the only way to watch First Take).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe bars, gyms, restaurants, offices, etc count for ratings analytics.

I don't dislike first take - I take it for what it is in that I believe both people were playing into a character.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
These firings are a second round of damage control. It won't stop the bleeding unless ESPN can come up with a way to provide content to keep subscribers. I don't see that happening. At some point in time I expect they won't get that $7 from carriers and between that and the loss of subscribers they will have a difficult time meeting all their contractual obligations.

I'm with @HuskyHawk in that the sports bubble is about to pop or at the very least contract. UConn and the AAC will be hurt but it may very well hurt other conferences. I wonder if the ACC network will still be be a go and even if it is will it stay viable.?

If Disney cuts ESPN loose, a prudent play imo, what happens to all the contracts? Things may get very interesting in the near future.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Sucks for those losing their jobs but espn did this to themselves. I remember back in the 90s everyone literally would get up early to watch sportscenter before going to work or school. They played highlights of every game rather than only large market teams. It was highlights not a sports gossip show. I haven't watched anything but live sporting events on espn in over 10 years. I could care less about pop culture and all the bs sportscenter and espn has turned into to. It's no longer ESPN it's turned into E!SPN.

Bingo!

That's about when I stopped watching Sportcenter as well. I would maybe take in the occasional "Around the Horn" or "PTI", but rarely because it is the same schtick. They quickly went to a bunch of ridiculous shows that I can't imagine anyone watched ("Cold Pizza"? Really???). I'm only 41 and I'm saying, "I miss the old days..."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our contract renegotiation will worse than Custer's last act.
I feel relatively confident that we won't drop by more than $2 million per school. We are relatively insulated because our contract sucks like a Dyson.

On the other hand, if I were a Big 12 team not named Texas, I would be worried right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That sounds pretty good.

Have you driven through Bristol? How's the local economy look after 25+ years of the free ESPN money? The schools have to be pretty highly scored too, right?
Sorry it wasn't good enough for you. They didn't have to do anything.

Reaction Score
Bayless does not draw rating, no one watches his show. More people watch Nickelodeon cartoons in the same time slot than his show. That is an actual fact.

I find nothing entertaining about Bayless or Smith, I find them both to be insufferable human beings who are ruining sports television.

Sorry, but do you think that the people tuning in to Nickelodeon are people ESPN expects to get watching Bayless?

Such a confusing comparison to make, its like saying "we've got to shut our kobe beef plant down... gerber is outselling us in babyfood 400 to 1!!!"

Reaction Score
Sorry, but do you think that the people tuning in to Nickelodeon are people ESPN expects to get watching Bayless?

Such a confusing comparison to make, its like saying "we've got to shut our kobe beef plant down... gerber is outselling us in babyfood 400 to 1!!!"
No, it is simple. It means no one is watching their show. TV ratings are compared for advertisers and metrics on time slots. They are getting crushed by First Take not even worth comparing, same with News channels and talk shows. They cannot even keep up with cartoons. Their ratings are abysmal for the time they are on.

Reaction Score
Andy Katz is a big loss, I was following the list all yesterday and thought he was in the clear. It makes sense though, I rarely see any in-depth analysis on ESPN or espn.com anymore. Its a lot cheaper to have bot generated game summaries and the same 5 people on any show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom