OT - ESPN Layoffs | The Boneyard

OT - ESPN Layoffs

Reaction Score
Buccigross was rumored initially to be let go, but since denied. Very well could be he's let go when his contract ends this summer. That'd be the first Sportscenter anchor on the list.

Reaction Score
Additionally, The Hollywood Reporter reports that Karl Ravech, Ryen Russillo, and Hannah Storm will see their roles “significantly reduced.”

Figured Ravech was one of the untouchables. I wonder if "reduced role" means "reduced salary" also.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
There used to be a game show where contestants competed for a job at ESPN. The show ended with Stump the Stump or something.

Did any winner become somebody?

Reaction Score
There used to be a game show where contestants competed for a job at ESPN. The show ended with Stump the Stump or something.

I believe the guy who won the first season is now on big ten network.

Reaction Score
as someone who lives in the Bristol area this makes me Sad (not that any of the on air talent actually spent a second longer then they had to in town)

Reaction Score

Seriously? If I read one more fawning tweet/response on Dana O'Neil about how "respected" she is as a reporter I am going to scream. And yes, I get that of course some of her colleagues are going to say that... BUT

Every time she expresses a thought about UConn men's basketball or football over the last 7+ years she belittles and demeans us at every turn. It takes a lot of proof for me to state someone has an agenda or is biased against us. Significantly more than some others on this board. But she definitely has shown an axe to grind against us on multiple occasions... and if her negative "hot takes" had been focused on Syracuse instead of us she would have been let go years ago by her Syracuse-grad bosses there.

I have never been impressed by her "reporting" skills, and I have turned the channel more than once when she was talking. OVER-RATED

With all that having been said, I do feel sorry for her and anyone who lost their job today at ESPN. Every one of them losing their job is doing so because the company heads WAY overbid on the latest NBA contract (as they have other contracts) and it is killing their bottom line. And of course many of those guys get to keep their jobs. It sucks to lose your job through no fault of your own.

Reaction Score
Seriously? If I read one more fawning tweet/response on Dana O'Neil about how "respected" she is as a reporter I am going to scream. And yes, I get that of course some of her colleagues are going to say that... BUT

Every time she expresses a thought about UConn men's basketball or football over the last 7+ years she belittles and demeans us at every turn. It takes a lot of proof for me to state someone has an agenda or is biased against us. Significantly more than some others on this board. But she definitely has shown an axe to grind against us on multiple occasions... and if her negative "hot takes" had been focused on Syracuse instead of us she would have been let go years ago by her Syracuse-grad bosses there.

I have never been impressed by her "reporting" skills, and I have turned the channel more than once when she was talking. OVER-RATED

With all that having been said, I do feel sorry for her and anyone who lost their job today at ESPN. Every one of them losing their job is doing so because the company heads WAY overbid on the latest NBA contract (as they have other contracts) and it is killing their bottom line. And of course many of those guys get to keep their jobs. It sucks to lose your job through no fault of your own.
Number 1, I doubt she belittled UConn EVERY time. And number 2, not everything is about UConn, so just because she maybe didn't speak glowingly about us doesn't make her a bad reporter.

Reaction Score
I can't say I'll miss Eammon, he struck me as a dumb guy that desperately wanted to fit in and did that by parroting everyone else, except stupider.

And Dana definitely deserved to be canned after she said coach K was the moral center of college basketball or something like that. She was all in on the rehabilitate K and his band of dirty players

Reaction Score

Mike Hall. Worked at ESPN for a while then moved to BTN.

Reaction Score
What amazes me is the subscriber fee that ESPN charges. In an article I read it stated that the average rate that they charge per subscriber is around $7.00/month per subscriber (it varies slightly because it is negotiated with the individual systems). This is just for ESPN. ESPN2 is around $0.90/month. The other sports networks, CBS sports, NBC sports and FS1 are all around $1.00/month. So these other networks have to have 7X's the viewers just to match the subscribers fee revenue that ESPN has?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Number 1, I doubt she belittled UConn EVERY time. And number 2, not everything is about UConn, so just because she maybe didn't speak glowingly about us doesn't make her a bad reporter.

Eh, her opinion pieces noticeably trend waaaay negative and purposefully nonobjective and incomplete vis a vis uconn. And this comes from a guy who's media neutral.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
O'Neil never impressed me.

ESPN is falling off a cliff. They're losing six-figure subscriptions a month and ratings are tumbling.

Which is, of course, perfect timing for UConn. The conference realignment money fire hose is now off and the American will walk into a buzz saw the next time the contract is negotiated.

Reaction Score
a whole bunch of people lost their jobs today because ESPN can't seem to get it together, and we've got posters talking about whether they said "glowing" things about UConn or whether they "deserve" it? Tough room. It absolutely sucks to get laid off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom