OT - ESPN Layoffs | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT - ESPN Layoffs

Reaction Score
Was she wrong? I mean, if I wasn't a UConn fan, I'd turn that game off. One of the least watchable basketball games I've ever endured.
Butler sucked. You can admit now.

Reaction Score
It is unfortunate for the American, but if UConn can get back some of it's media rights, they will see improved revenues. I continue to believe that if UConn was able to negotiate it's own media deal, revenues would be substantially higher than they are today, even being in the AAC.

ESPN's distribution business model is falling off a cliff, not consumers' interest in live sports. ESPN can't continue to increase price and their subscriber base is falling so they have to cut costs. The dilemma for ESPN is if they lose attractive content, their value proposition will diminish. ESPN is in a financial bind which will allow competitors and new entrants to grab attractive media rights from ESPN. Who thought we would see NFL games on Twitter and Amazon? Prices will go up for attractive rights and go down for unattractive rights.
You won't be able to afford those attractive matches. Pay-per-view will kill the NFL.

Reaction Score
Slightly OT. What has espn really ever done for Bristol? Sure. They've stayed there when they didn't "have to" but I am sure they have the sweetest of sweetheart deals with real estate and taxes. The talent lives in Avon/Canton and moves out when they're done. Talent flies in and out otherwise. Bristol still has plenty of warts and really hasn't benefitted socially from having a company of that magnitude headquartered there. and that doesn't include the lack of impact they've had helping the state of CT and city of Hartford.
Given millions to Bristol's economy, and millions to kid's programs through schools and the Y.

Reaction Score
You won't be able to afford those attractive matches. Pay-per-view will kill the NFL.
Right now, there is a business model to show NFL games for free paid for by advertisers. You don't even need cable. The only games you have pay for or you need cable are the ones on ESPN.

The business model of forcing people to pay for a channel that few watch is now in decline. It is going to be a painful 5 to 10 years for ESPN and I would expect continued layoffs.

Reaction Score
Also, thank god that CBS and Turner are televising the NCAA tournament. Imagine how unbearable ESPN would have been as a partner.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Wow so you enjoy Cowherd, Bayless, Broussard, and Stephen A. Smith? Really? Like this is not a joke that went over my head?

You actually enjoy listening to these people? Like for real?

I had to have missed the joke, right?
I like Cowherd, he brings an interesting perspective, but I can understand if some people don't. Bayless and Stephen A. are truly just trolls, you can't take them seriously. I disagree with half the words that come out of Skip's mouth, but you have to admit they are entertaining. They draw ratings. That's all television producers care about.
Broussard is just an NBA insider, who left for Fox, which was my original point-- that ESPN is losing talent to Fox. But yes, I like Broussard too.
There was no joke. Just don't take television personalities so seriously. If you don't enjoy watching them, then fine. But they must be doing something right if they've been on the air for so long.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I've heard a number of anchors went to management and offered to accept reduced salaries.

SAS should be paying us for watching his program.

They got rid of the wrong people. Stark is one of the best and will be missed.

Reaction Score
I like Cowherd, he brings an interesting perspective, but I can understand if some people don't. Bayless and Stephen A. are truly just trolls, you can't take them seriously. I disagree with half the words that come out of Skip's mouth, but you have to admit they are entertaining. They draw ratings. That's all television producers care about.
Broussard is just an NBA insider, who left for Fox, which was my original point-- that ESPN is losing talent to Fox. But yes, I like Broussard too.
There was no joke. Just don't take television personalities so seriously. If you don't enjoy watching them, then fine. But they must be doing something right if they've been on the air for so long.

I don't mind Cowherd as much because even when he's trolling his points are mostly fairly well thought out.

Sources say Broussard is a meme and not taken seriously at this point.

I also know a few very casual sports fans (mostly just NBA and NFL) that assume SAS is playing a character and enjoy his rants for some reason. To me it's always seemed like Skip is more or less playing a character and SAS is actually just being himself. I can only assume that either one of them would appeal to casual/low knowledge fans.

Reaction Score
Given millions to Bristol's economy, and millions to kid's programs through schools and the Y.

That sounds pretty good.

Have you driven through Bristol? How's the local economy look after 25+ years of the free ESPN money? The schools have to be pretty highly scored too, right?

Reaction Score
Huge Magnus Magnussen fan right here. Used to love the way he picked up those big stones.

He was the best at any event that involved mobility. The races where they would flip those huge tires, move big ass kegs around, etc. He would always blow the other guys away in those as I recall.

Reaction Score
I don't mind Cowherd as much because even when he's trolling his points are mostly fairly well thought out.

Sources say Broussard is a meme and not taken seriously at this point.

I also know a few very casual sports fans (mostly just NBA and NFL) that assume SAS is playing a character and enjoy his rants for some reason. To me it's always seemed like Skip is more or less playing a character and SAS is actually just being himself. I can only assume that either one of them would appeal to casual/low knowledge fans.

Colin is at least a professional. He also is on record saying its more important to be interesting than accurate so take everything with a grain of salt. I don't search him out but I used to listen on ESPN. He is the type of guy I would enjoy listening to and then would have a take so egregious I would tune out for days/weeks. See: John Wall.

Spot on about Skip and SAS. SAS is a POS. Skip is a troll. It offends me that they were so popular but people are dumb. I have friends that would admittedly hate watch. "Check out First Take today, you will not believe how dumb Skip is!"

Reaction Score
Mike and Mike, Bayless and Smith are not watchable. Cowheard can at least be entertaining now and then.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
That UConn,Butler NCG is widely considered one of the worst. Awesome for us, but a far reach to think she's purposely taking a shot at us.

I recall after that game, Jay Bilas said it was the worst college basketball game he has ever seen. After that comment my fanship for Jay started to dwindle. Okay he might have been right per his opinion. I would of talked about the game in detail rather than make that comment.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I recall after that game, Jay Bilas said it was the worst college basketball game he has ever seen. After that comment my fanship for Jay started to dwindle. Okay he might have been right per his opinion. I would of talked about the game in detail rather than make that comment.

The weird thing is no one shot well in that dome.

It was a weird setting and one thought was the depth perception was off.

On the other hand, look at the shooting numbers for everyone else against UConn during that run, it wasn't pretty.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Butler sucked. You can admit now.

I'll admit that their offense sucked. They played very good defense. Our offense was mediocre and we played great defense. If it was a football game it would 6-0 on two field goals with about 30 punts.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand how anyone can't see that the opinions and takes from these yakoffs is fed to them from the company for the shock value. PTI used to be unique than ESPN took advantage of that included that format in every show and took it to such an extreme that the world couldn't resist reacting to such bafoonery.

Reaction Score
Can't stand Cowherd. On point here. This doesn't even mention the boatloads of money paid towards other organizations outside of the NBA and NFL.

“Years ago when I used to work at ESPN, they signed an NBA contract and ESPN was paying the NBA $400 million a year, and it was reported as I was driving to work that day they had signed the NBA for $1.4 billion.

I told my producers … ‘fellas, it’ll never be the same here.’ You can not pay four times for the house what you paid for the house last year. And I said this company will never be the same.

It was at that point I started looking, and this is not going to end today. They have really cost-prohibitive contracts, combined with cord-cutting.

I said this when they cut 850 people, I said it the next day, it’s awful, and it will happen annually for the next decade. You have to have contracts …

I’ll give you an example – at Fox we pay $1.1 billion for the NFL. You have the 1 o’clock window and the 4 o’clock window, wild card games, NFC Championship, and two of the next four Super Bowls. We make a lot of money on the NFL … ESPN pays $1.9 billion, gets a bunch of highlights, no Super Bowls, and one increasingly irrelevant Monday Night Football game.

We have a great NFL contract, they have a really marginalized NFL contract. These firings are awful. It makes me sick.

The good news is – most of the people let go are really talented, but this is all about business, and when you have overpaid for products, sometimes six and seven hundred million more than you had to pay, certainly with the NBA that’s the case, they just pay way too much for it. This is the result, it’s awful, and I think unfortunately this was the first of a 10-year deal with the NBA and I just feel awful – there’s are a lot of good people.

How is it possible to overpay so much for the NFL and NBA. I can see overpaying a bit in order to secure the rights fees but to be soooo much higher than the others is just crazy.

Isn't is logical that if Fox paid $1.1 billions and has great inventory of games and Super Bowls, then ESPN should be paying A LOT LESS for what they are getting. They have to have some of this competitive information when making bids.

The people who have so grossly overpaid for these rights fees are the ones who need to get the axe.

Dana O'neil, I won't shed any tears about her getting canned. She did UCONN absolutely no favors at any time.

Reaction Score
Bristol is a total dump

They get $$ they wouldn't otherwise and certainly some benefit of people working there and the references

The point is, what has ESPN ever done to help the city of Bristol and make a real impact. Its the city the company was founded in and they show an amazing lack of interest in helping the city grow and prosper.

Reaction Score
Bayless does not draw rating, no one watches his show. More people watch Nickelodeon cartoons in the same time slot than his show. That is an actual fact.

I find nothing entertaining about Bayless or Smith, I find them both to be insufferable human beings who are ruining sports television.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom