OT-Deathstorm | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT-Deathstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah wind is the enemy of the snowblower. Layer up and cover your face. Thank god for Lamont enslaving us to face coverings!

Since it got cool in the fall, I have planned on using one of my covid masks for snowblower duty. The full face things get too hot. But in this case I'm just going to try to wait out the wind. Nobody needs to go anywhere.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Ariens is comatose. 11" in middle Madison and approx 2300 sq feet of sloped d/w.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anyone hustling to shovel for decades. Some small plow trucks, yeah, but people on foot with real shovels? Nope. And I could use one too.
It really is something,@uconnfan68.

It has been that way for years now. What do these kids do now? I have been fortunate to live in a neighborhood where a couple of the kids on the street have shoveled and plowed the neighborhood homes for those who needed this service.

The other ones doing this are the landscapers who cut the lawns for their customers. Sometimes, they will shovel and plow for non-customers. This is an option you can try.

But, there is some good news . There is a website nextdoor.com which is pretty much everywhere now. On this site, neighbors can post what services they need and other neighbors will either recommend someone or a person who renders these services who belongs to nextdoor.com, gives his name and contact information.

If a service provider is not satisfactory, the posters will say that too, but with the caveat that they not use malicious or defamatory language. Sort of like the rules for the Boneyard. And since you have to put your real name to post, it deters vicious postings.

Try nextdoor.com wherever you live. It is free to join. And, you call call local landscapers to see if they will perform what you need.

Let us know how this works out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That is the one I referenced I'm guessing. Was that 1984-85? My perspective is different because it started for me with Towers attacking the Jungle, and Frats then they all combined and marched towards South/Alumni/McMahon.
Close I am thinking 1979 give or take a year.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Ariens is comatose. 11" in middle Madison and approx 2300 sq feet of sloped d/w.
Thoughts and prayers.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Close I am thinking 1979 give or take a year.

Then it was something that happened regularly. I am sure UConn put an end to that. We all had excess fees charged due to snowball damage.

CL82

Reaction Score
Then it was something that happened regularly. I am sure UConn put an end to that. We all had excess fees charged due to snowball damage.
I can remember a few when I was in school. That one I described that was the one that is etched in my mind. Seeing a line of hundreds of people running at you screaming made me appreciate what it was like to be a union soldier in the Civil War.

Reaction Score
Still snowing in Bellows Falls, VT (little north of Brattleboro). Forecast changed from 3-5 to 8-12 and then to 12-18"; I'd say we are closer to the 18". Got stuck when went out this morning and had to walk back! Next time, I'll get a Subaru.

Reaction Score
Gas or battery snow blower? I got a cheap 40 V 4.0 ah battery Snow Joe and its not hacking this storm. Battery keeps freezing up. Doesn't shoot far enough either.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My 1968 Arien's 6 hp really struggled with the piles at the end of the driveway and sidewalk from multiple plow passes. It's probably time to upgrade the size.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My 1968 Arien's 6 hp really struggled with the piles at the end of the driveway and sidewalk from multiple plow passes. It's probably time to upgrade the size.

1968!!! Wow. I upgraded a year or so ago from my old 2003 Ariens.

Reaction Score
Also, most importantly, kids should be huslting money shoveling driveways and such and applying physics via sledding, snow ball fights and snow forts.
Used to live that as a kid but as far as shoveling goes from what I've seen last, that labor segment in Fairfield County has been taken over by full grown men who walk streets as teams.

Reaction Score
Jammed a rock in my auger. Luckily i was able to beat it outta there with a BFS and a hammer.
Not that I've had the misfortune of experiencing a rock in an auger nor gallstones (yet), but Boneyard rumors indicate the latter aren't exactly pleasant. Idle speculation suggests beating 'em "outta there with a BFS and a hammer" could be even more painful than auger rock removal. Good luck with the snow relocation.

CL82

Reaction Score
1968!!! Wow. I upgraded a year or so ago from my old 2003 Ariens.
I had an 2 stage 27" MTD that was about 20 years old. It leaked a oil a bit and needed a new weld and some cabling. I ended up giving it to a friend of my sons and bought a new two stage 24 inch 212cc Power Max last year. It did the job on this storm but this was close to capacity for it. I'm regretting getting rid of my old blower.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Used to live that as a kid but as far as shoveling goes from what I've seen last, that labor segment in Fairfield County has been taken over by full grown men who walk streets as teams.

If they're doing it for a beer or for a drink, I'm okay with it. If they're doing it as a service for those who need it done for them, even better. If they're doing it for cash, piss on 'em.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I had an 2 stage 27" MTD that was about 20 years old. It leaked a oil a bit and needed a new weld and some cabling. I ended up giving it to a friend of my sons and bought a new two stage 24 inch 212cc Power Max last year. It did the job on this storm but this was close to capacity for it. I'm regretting getting rid of my old blower.

I think I broke my old 24" Ariens. Tried to get a small engine guy to come look at it and couldn't before winter came. So I simply upgraded and they took it away. Got this. A couple things I don't like, but power isn't one of them.

Ariens Deluxe 28" SHO 306cc Super High Output Snow Blower SnowBlowersAtJacks

CL82

Reaction Score
I think I broke my old 24" Ariens. Tried to get a small engine guy to come look at it and couldn't before winter came. So I simply upgraded and they took it away. Got this. A couple things I don't like, but power isn't one of them.

Ariens Deluxe 28" SHO 306cc Super High Output Snow Blower SnowBlowersAtJacks
I've got snowblower envy... One of the reasons I down graded was to save the extra 3" in width when storing it. Perhaps not my best decision process. The PowerMax was dirt cheap and did the job for this good sized storm but I doubt it would be up to it if it had been wet (er) snow. The MTS was great. Plenty of power and 2 decades no real issues other than normal maintenance (changed the skids and the pressure wheel once) until the weld went.

Reaction Score
Yes they were (mid 70's). I also remember in the mid 70's Tower residents marching on the Jungle (lived there my first 1 1/2, then frats, then off campus). If I recall correcting Jungle kicked their butts and sent them back. Also remember tray riding in the mud down the center of the Jungle.
I lived in the Frats (Wright b) and I remember the IDC dorm flooding the quad to make an ice skating rink around '78. Good times.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've got snowblower envy... One of the reasons I down graded was to save the extra 3" in width when storing it. Perhaps not my best decision process. The PowerMax was dirt cheap and did the job for this good sized storm but I doubt it would be up to it if it had been wet (er) snow. The MTS was great. Plenty of power and 2 decades no real issues other than normal maintenance (changed the skids and the pressure wheel once) until the weld went.

My only complaint with this one when dealing with wet snow is the bottom of the intake. Most brands have adopted the same approach, leaving it open, with the lower lip moved well back behind the auger. In my old one the lower edge was further forward, which helped scrape and scoop the nasty wet stuff. But since they are all the same now I had no real options, and Ariens are absolute tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom