OT-Deathstorm | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT-Deathstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A fairly substantial percentage of CT's population relies on well water -- which stops when the power goes out. As automatic, permanently installed emergency generators become more prevalent, it will decrease. But if you're relying on a portable generator and extension cord for you're emergency power, as most have for years, it's a different story.
We weathered (pun intended) the first two full years living in our current house with a well and 12 gallons of fresh bottled water sitting in the unfinished part of our basement.

When the power went out during the wind storm last Halloween, I spent part of the UConn tailgate talking to an electrician regarding installing an emergency generator hook up. My generator currently powers my entire house, minus range and clothes dryer, but including the pool pump. One of my friends spent a couple nights in a hotel after Isaias rolled through. When put in those terms, the generator pays for itself inside of two weeks. I have nine days to go.

Reaction Score
I am stuck here till I am dead. :eek:
Well, I dunno. If here is CT or this part of the country, we don't have sweaty hot summers from June through September, and never have a mass migration of people fleeing hurricane(s). Nor, have to worry about venomous black snakes in the backyard at dusk (friend down there told me that is their situation). Nor, the traffic jams in the winter from the Snowbirds. One of my friends gave up living there because of that.

Just a bias on my part based on what I have heard and read.

For those who can afford it, they can live here , and there, for the "good parts" or the "good months of the year."

Actually, a friend of mine does that and lives in FLA for 6 months and one day a year and gets tax benefits or saves money by doing that. He had a swimming pool at his complex and could swim almost every day of the year.

But, he is staying here now and not worrying about the 6 months and one day thing. He and his wife got disgusted at all the people down there not wearing masks, and for his own health and piece of mind, is now up here.

I guess he will go back to his routine once the pandemic subsides.

For those who cannot handle the cold and have their friends who have moved near them in FLA, I do understand the attachment. I understand the low property taxes.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Arrrrrgggh. I jinxed myself by saying it was a beast. Same here, although my driveway can fit 6+ cars and luckily 2/3 was done when it failed. Shear bolts are in place. I was able to get the auger to spin but it's slow and with any snow resistance it comes to a halt. 2 years old and hardly used. Wish I had my old snowblower back, so pissed right now.
Hopefully this might be helpful to fellow junior snowblower mechanics out there. I called the dealership where I bought the blower and the first thing the rep noted was that the belts commonly break and often in a year or two. Considering my last blower was well over a decade old and I never had to replace the belt, I thought that was a little crazy but he’s the expert. He then proceeded to tell me they had a three week backlog for service and they had pickup/drop off for extra $$$. I can’t wait that long so I took the belt suggestion as my first troubleshooting step. Watched a 5 minute video on how to replace or adjust the auger belt and headed outside this morning. 10 minutes later(and FREE), snowblower is fixed and tossing snow like a champ. Adjusting the belt is really easy (pulley wheel has adjustable screw). I am heading out to pick up spare shear bolts and belt just in case. My driveway is too big and back is too crappy to risk it next time around.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, I dunno. If here is CT or this part of the country, we don't have sweaty hot summers from June through September, and never have a mass migration of people fleeing hurricane(s). Nor, have to worry about venomous black snakes in the backyard at dusk (friend down there told me that is their situation). Nor, the traffic jams in the winter from the Snowbirds. One of my friends gave up living there because of that.

Just a bias on my part based on what I have heard and read.

For those who can afford it, they can live here , and there, for the "good parts" or the "good months of the year."

Actually, a friend of mine does that and lives in FLA for 6 months and one day a year and gets tax benefits or saves money by doing that. He had a swimming pool at his complex and could swim almost every day of the year.

But, he is staying here now and not worrying about the 6 months and one day thing. He and his wife got disgusted at all the people down there not wearing masks, and for his own health and piece of mind, is now up here.

I guess he will go back to his routine once the pandemic subsides.

For those who cannot handle the cold and have their friends who have moved near them in FLA, I do understand the attachment. I understand the low property taxes.

I‘m debating this. Don’t really like hot humid summers.

My plan was always to retire on Cape Cod, which is usually spared the worst of winter, and where I can play golf well into November and again by March. Plus the summers are divine. But it’s unbelievably expensive.

The alternative would be the snow bird life. But I wouldn’t choose anything as blah as Florida, maybe a condo in New Orleans. Some of this may depend on where my daughter ends in college and after.

I just put down ice melt. It’s so damned cold I am hoping for some help from the sun.

Reaction Score
Yes. There are some real bad Florida takes. Louisiana??. I have lived in 3rd world countries that were better.
According to a friend of mine who went to Tulane and married a classmate from Tulane whose family is from New Orleans, natives say, "Louisiana, 3rd world and proud of it."

Reaction Score
I‘m debating this. Don’t really like hot humid summers.

My plan was always to retire on Cape Cod, which is usually spared the worst of winter, and where I can play golf well into November and again by March. Plus the summers are divine. But it’s unbelievably expensive.

The alternative would be the snow bird life. But I wouldn’t choose anything as blah as Florida, maybe a condo in New Orleans. Some of this may depend on where my daughter ends in college and after.

I just put down ice melt. It’s so damned cold I am hoping for some help from the sun.

You do not want to live in NOLA if you do not want to put up w/Hot and Humid summers. Having worked there and Texas in the oil patch during summers they are much worse than SoFL. I have also lived and worked during the summer in the Phoenix area and it can be very hot, but honestly, nowhere near as bad as the heat and humidity in LA and TX.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You do not want to live in NOLA if you do not want to put up w/Hot and Humid summers. Having worked there and Texas in the oil patch during summers they are much worse than SoFL. I have also lived and worked during the summer in the Phoenix area and it can be very hot, but honestly, nowhere near as bad as the heat and humidity in LA and TX.

Well of course, but it would be the wintertime snowbird option. I’d be there for the awesome Halloween, Mardi Gras, St. Patrick’s day, Jazz Fest and then head north around May.

Reaction Score
Well of course, but it would be the wintertime snowbird option. I’d be there for the awesome Halloween, Mardi Gras, St. Patrick’s day, Jazz Fest and then head north around May.
I was there once for a few weeks around a Super Bowl and start of Mardi Gras. Weather wasn’t all that good... but small sample. Got pretty sticky and pretty cold during the short time. I’d go for Florida if I had a choice... but I don’t and will suffer in CT.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Hopefully this might be helpful to fellow junior snowblower mechanics out there. I called the dealership where I bought the blower and the first thing the rep noted was that the belts commonly break and often in a year or two. Considering my last blower was well over a decade old and I never had to replace the belt, I thought that was a little crazy but he’s the expert. He then proceeded to tell me they had a three week backlog for service and they had pickup/drop off for extra $$$. I can’t wait that long so I took the belt suggestion as my first troubleshooting step. Watched a 5 minute video on how to replace or adjust the auger belt and headed outside this morning. 10 minutes later(and FREE), snowblower is fixed and tossing snow like a champ. Adjusting the belt is really easy (pulley wheel has adjustable screw). I am heading out to pick up spare shear bolts and belt just in case. My driveway is too big and back is too crappy to risk it next time around.
proving, once again, that U of Tube is better than harvard u.

Reaction Score
We missed school on Thursday and had a regularly scheduled half day on Friday before winter break starts Monday.

We try to have special activities planned for our graduating 8th graders and on Friday morning we brought up our fire pit to have the students make s'mores. Really fun any day, but especially the day after a big snow.

IMG_7353.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020