OT-Deathstorm | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT-Deathstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes they were (mid 70's). I also remember in the mid 70's Tower residents marching on the Jungle (lived there my first 1 1/2, then frats, then off campus). If I recall correcting Jungle kicked their butts and sent them back. Also remember tray riding in the mud down the center of the Jungle.

lived in the jungle my sophmore year and remember epic snowball fights. i think i blew my arm out during one of them

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Just dusted off the Ariens. Took 50 pulls but it started!!!! Wow. Mild heart attack. Thought I had a clogged carb. I think I used the beast twice in last 2 years.
Had a troybilt snowblower for about 16 years, although it spent about 3 years in a basement. Absolute beast. When the wet slushy snow fell, I'd bail out my neighbors with their puny snowblowers. Very little maintenance other than replacing the pull cord twice (thank god once was in the spring) until it started leaking oil in the last couple of years. Retired it and bought an Ariens and it too is a beast. I can hit my neighbor's house with snow from my driveway - actually have to be careful to adjust the pitch to not do so. I bought it with the impression that at some point I'd again have impossibly high piles of snow on the sides of my driveway that I'd need to be able to throw over. The last two years have been relative busts and I've hardly used it but it will get a workout tomorrow.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Spent a lot of time in the Farmington River in my youth. Almost as much time swimming in the resevoir.
I lived one town over. Lots of bonfires, parties on random dirt roads and in fields, trips to enders falls and various other swimming spots, outdoor activities all summer long. Ski Sundown for much of the winter. Good environment to grow up in, but needed to get to a more urban area when I turned 18. My parents both worked in the Hartford area and they'd drive in to work complaining about how much snow they had at home while their coworkers would have a relative "dusting".

Reaction Score
Was at UConn for that blizzard- loaded up on beer, wine, Panama red - best 4 days ever at UConn because no one could leave. Was in the frats with one of the best chefs. What was even better was my new car with front wheel drive - shoveled a little behind, a little in front and off I went when the roads were open again. I was the designated resupply officer.
Was in San Diego for that blizzard, and it was fantastic.

Reaction Score
Was at UConn for that blizzard- loaded up on beer, wine, Panama red - best 4 days ever at UConn because no one could leave. Was in the frats with one of the best chefs. What was even better was my new car with front wheel drive - shoveled a little behind, a little in front and off I went when the roads were open again. I was the designated resupply officer.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Had a troybilt snowblower for about 16 years, although it spent about 3 years in a basement. Absolute beast. When the wet slushy snow fell, I'd bail out my neighbors with their puny snowblowers. Very little maintenance other than replacing the pull cord twice (thank god once was in the spring) until it started leaking oil in the last couple of years. Retired it and bought an Ariens and it too is a beast. I can hit my neighbor's house with snow from my driveway - actually have to be careful to adjust the pitch to not do so. I bought it with the impression that at some point I'd again have impossibly high piles of snow on the sides of my driveway that I'd need to be able to throw over. The last two years have been relative busts and I've hardly used it but it will get a workout tomorrow.
I think I used it twice over the last two years. I am very happy tomorrow will be dry fluffy stuff. Should be fun.

Reaction Score
When I think about moving back to CT, Barkhamsted is ground zero. Such a cool place. A wilderness feel, but just 25-30 minutes to so many places I love. The restaurants in Simsbury and Avon, the shopping in South Windsor, Cedar Knob Golf course in Somers (and Italian Villa pizza), downtown Hartford, the Rent and an easy ride to 91N to the Berkshires, VT and Montreal. I like it.
Wow when trying to sell a house I didn’t think anyone wanted to live here. We live at 1200ft and usually get more snow.

Reaction Score
What about teachers with children in other districts who are not remote and have a snow day? I could see doing remote instruction after the 4th snow day or something but let these kids have some joy!

My wife’s a teacher in Trumbull and that’s exactly what they are doing. They are scheduled to close on 6/14, a Monday, so they said the first 4 snow days will be real snow days. Last day of school is latest 6/18 which is a Friday. Any snow days past the first 4 are remote. Also, delayed openings are remote. No need to bring the kids and staff in for 3 hrs for a delayed opening.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some of the best snowball fights I ever participated in took place in the early 70's between the frat quad and the freshmen in the Jungle! Damn those were serious fun!

I can confirm that those confined in the 80s. I was at Goodyear for a year and Batterson after. fortunately for us in Goodyear we had a pitcher on the baseball team. Very effective.

My freshman year in towers, an army was raised for snowball fights. It met up with Jungle and Frats and evidently decided to combine, so marched on the other side of campus. It met another army from South and Alumni and maybe others. Hundreds of people. A friend of mine had a broken eardrum from the fight.

Reaction Score
We got a good foot out there right now in central MA. Hurley the Husky is loving it, he is jumping into snow drifts bigger than him.

I got the go-ahead to call a plow guy, I'm not snow blowing this crap!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I did not get my car out of the South Campus parking lot, so the plow guys just decided to bury it. Couple of weeks later when enough melted to allow me access, it started right up. 1973 Pontiac T37, 350 V-8. That was a beast.

I don't recall any major snowball fights involving throwing. However, we'd bring buckets of snow to the 4th floor and use a funnelator to hit all dorms within range.

As far as someone breaking both heels, I do recall one dude jumping from the roof of Crandall into a huge drift and landing on a bike rack. That wasn't pretty, although no ambulance was involved.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
We got a good foot out there right now in central MA. Hurley the Husky is loving it, he is jumping into snow drifts bigger than him.

I got the go-ahead to call a plow guy, I'm not snow blowing this crap!
This is nice fluffy stuff which should be a breeze with a decent blower.
I got a truck & plow a few years back, I got tired of using my tractor with loader bucket out in the open (significant upgrade) it took a 2-3 hour job into 15-20 minutes, somethings are just worth it.

The difference between men & boys is the price of their toys.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I did not get my car out of the South Campus parking lot, so the plow guys just decided to bury it. Couple of weeks later when enough melted to allow me access, it started right up. 1973 Pontiac T37, 350 V-8. That was a beast.

I don't recall any major snowball fights involving throwing. However, we'd bring buckets of snow to the 4th floor and use a funnelator to hit all dorms within range.

As far as someone breaking both heels, I do recall one dude jumping from the roof of Crandall into a huge drift and landing on a bike rack. That wasn't pretty, although no ambulance was involved.
The guy who broke his leg in south was jumping out of Wheeler.

I’m a little younger than you so I can’t speak to whether they had any snowball fights when you were there, but there were some epic ones when I was there.

One in particular comes to mind. From my perspective, it started out as a snowball fight between two dorms in South. Each time there was an apparent winter victor and vanquished we join together and move onto a new target. From south we moved on to West campus and we’re attacking McMahon. When people start to listen to this quiet noise growing louder. Often the distance a strange gray line could be seen. Eventually we realize the noise in the line or the screaming hordes of North campus running towards us. It was an epic battle.

Reaction Score
Main concern is losing power and so far so good. The wife and I are talking about a generator being installed right now. Kicking myself self in the butt for procrastinating all these years. To much stress worrying about losing heat and water. Here in lisbon it looks about 12+ .

Reaction Score
Wow when trying to sell a house I didn’t think anyone wanted to live here. We live at 1200ft and usually get more snow.

I like the Vermont feel of it. Its a little outdoor paradise imo. I probably wouldn't have liked it until I got into my mid 30's.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The guy who broke his leg in south was jumping out of Wheeler.

I’m a little younger than you so I can’t speak to whether they had any snowball fights when you were there, but there were some epic ones when I was there.

One in particular comes to mind. From my perspective, it started out as a snowball beat between two dorms in South. Each time there was an apparent winter victor and vanquished we join together and move onto a new target. From south we moved on to West campus and we’re attacking McMahon. When people start to listen to this quiet noise growing louder. Often the distance a strange gray line could be seen. Eventually we realize the noise in the line or the screaming hordes of North campus running towards us. It was an epic battle.

That is the one I referenced I'm guessing. Was that 1984-85? My perspective is different because it started for me with Towers attacking the Jungle, and Frats then they all combined and marched towards South/Alumni/McMahon.

Reaction Score
Some of the best snowball fights I ever participated in took place in the early 70's between the frat quad and the freshmen in the Jungle! Damn those were serious fun!
My sophomore year 05-06 I went to a beach-themed party at Hilltop Apartments the same night a foot+ of snow dropped throughout the night.

No issue walking from North to the apartments, but by 1-2 AM there was at least 8 inches of unplowed snow on the ground and it was still coming down hard. If I were sober, I would have gotten home no problem, but that night I was in my 98% percentile of personal drunkenness and miscalculated how long it would take me to get from the apartments back to my dorm (probably about a mile walk).

Panicked, I turned back to the apartments, in search for a warm building to sleep it off. I managed to find a group of students entering one of the apartments, so trailing them I found a quiet corner in a stairwell to warm up and doze. It turns out that it was the same apartment building as one of my friend's girlfriends (who wasn't at the party), so she somehow saw me in the stairwell and I ended up sleeping on her couch, with the next day providing a new meaning to the walk of shame.

Keep in mind, the first two paragraphs and last sentence of my story is all I remember from actual experience, so this story is dependent on the validity of the people who saw me that night.

Happy snow day!

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anyone hustling to shovel for decades. Some small plow trucks, yeah, but people on foot with real shovels? Nope. And I could use one too.
Good old days where you could pocket some dough. Of course the going rate back in my day was a 5 or 10 bucks, and it was real work. You’d be sweating and freezing at the same time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good old days where you could pocket some dough. Of course the going rate back in my day was a 5 or 10 bucks, and it was real work. You’d be sweating and freezing at the same time.
Don't forget the great ones who would offer a cup of hot cocoa as a tip!

But yeah, at $5-$10 per job I would easily earn $50+ on a snow day and that was pretty real money for a kid who was too young to work in the 70s.

Reaction Score
I gave my snow blower to my brother-in-law when I packed up and left CT. Y'all enjoy it...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Have probably close to 2 feet on the Eastside of Manchester. It’s like movie set snow. Flew through it with the snowblower, but the kind I’d hate to shovel because it caves in on the spot you just cleared.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's snowing on the Boneyard again.

I just walked the dog. I'm not worried about clearing out the snow (provided the snow blower starts. It did last week, but I don't want to jinx myself.), but the wind is not going to be fun.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It's snowing on the Boneyard again.

I just walked the dog. I'm not worried about clearing out the snow (provided the snow blower starts. It did last week, but I don't want to jinx myself.), but the wind is not going to be fun.
Yeah wind is the enemy of the snowblower. Layer up and cover your face. Thank god for Lamont enslaving us to face coverings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom