OT: Connecticut College | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut College

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Serious question: I take "near perfect" LSAT scores to mean high 170s or thereabouts so how bad were your college grades that you got waitlisted at UConn and Georgia? Did you assault a teacher or something?
It was the 48 scale when I took it. Based on percentiles it would be something like 175-177 now. It would have put me in the top 25% of Harvard or Yale's class the year I started law school, I remember checking that. My start at UConn was not good. I didn't drink in HS and was placed on a floor of guys kicked out of Sherman house the year before. Hindsight also suggests that my hearing impairment impacted me in the big lecture hall classes. I did make Dean's list the last 4 semesters. UGA was my first choice, so I was a little bummed.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I went to Wesleyan when it was still aid-blind. It would have cost me more to go to UConn. I've never regretted the small school experience and I got to play Ultimate with Zags. So I've got that going for me!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I get it. An attorney stole your wife or something.
My apologies for my earlier snarky response.

I happen to like attorneys l, in all candor, the person I admired most as I was growing up was an attorney (I even named my son after him).

If my attempt at a joke went too far I am sorry.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I happen to like attorneys l, in all candor, the person I admired most as I was growing up was an attorney (I even named my son after him).

Your comment was fine.

Reaction Score
If you’re a middle class white female, lower your sights by about two levels.

If you’re male, perhaps raise it a level or two. We have somehow managed to completely break education for males.
So my grandsons have a chance, but my granddaughters will have to excel? Good thing that’s how they’re made.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Things will calm down, but this year was horrific.
Paraphrasing the summary from our college counselor for this year and what to expect next year:

Early Action applications continued to increase. Lots and lots of deferrals to Regular Decision. Push to get deferred EA applicants to commit to ED II at some schools.

Early Decision yielded good results as long as the choice was realistic.

Demonstrated Interest was very important (i.e., visit in person or virtually; open emails and portals; interview).

STEM, computer science, health, and business programs, larger schools and urban schools, the University of California system, and public flagship universities were all harder than ever.

Increased value on extracurricular involvement, especially activities that demonstrate initiative, involvement, impact, and influence.

More schools are using Committee Based Evaluation, and the essay is being given even more weight.

Recap of last year's numbers (so far):

The best guess for high school class of 2023 is that colleges and universities will try to secure more of their class through Early Decision.

Colleges will be more need-aware than ever before.

Large increases in GPA for many students because of changes in school grading policies during COVID, making colleges likely continue to place more emphasis on junior year and first quarter or mid-mester grades from the senior year.

Highly selective institutions will continue to be as selective as ever, if not more so as their applications skyrocket.

Standardized testing will continue to be in flux, with many institutions (particularly large publics) returning to requiring testing.

Reaction Score
Seems like SO MANY kids choose between UMD and UConn that I have done admissions stuff with. It's uncanny.
That was my final 3 (along with Delaware) and chose UConn obviously. Friend a year older made the opposite choice between UConn/UMD. At least 3 other kids in my grade had the same final 2, really is uncanny

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It was the 48 scale when I took it. Based on percentiles it would be something like 175-177 now. It would have put me in the top 25% of Harvard or Yale's class the year I started law school, I remember checking that. My start at UConn was not good. I didn't drink in HS and was placed on a floor of guys kicked out of Sherman house the year before. Hindsight also suggests that my hearing impairment impacted me in the big lecture hall classes. I did make Dean's list the last 4 semesters. UGA was my first choice, so I was a little bummed.
Funny story. I got a 159 and was accepted at UConn Law.

I guess UConn thinks that I’m smarter than you?

Reaction Score

Oh I don't take any of this all that seriously, I can just think of 3 posts of yours and every single one (bizarrely) expresses the same sentiment, so I made a snarky comment in response.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Oh I don't take any of this all that seriously, I can just think of 3 posts of yours and every single one (bizarrely) expresses the same sentiment, so I made a snarky comment in response.

One of your ilk decided to represent my ex wife. That's enough to sour me . (well that and actually knowing 8893 in real life)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Funny story. I got a 159 and was accepted at UConn Law.

I guess UConn thinks that I’m smarter than you?
It's just a test I happened to be good at. Plenty bad at other things. It's all good, didn't really want to go there anyway. I wanted to be on a campus with undergrads (girls), which is part of why I didn't go to Maryland.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This is the thanks I get for finding you a good and reasonable lawyer to represent you?

I'm still using him almost 3 years later. Talked to him yesterday.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Paraphrasing the summary from our college counselor for this year and what to expect next year:

Early Action applications continued to increase. Lots and lots of deferrals to Regular Decision. Push to get deferred EA applicants to commit to ED II at some schools.

Early Decision yielded good results as long as the choice was realistic.

Demonstrated Interest was very important (i.e., visit in person or virtually; open emails and portals; interview).

STEM, computer science, health, and business programs, larger schools and urban schools, the University of California system, and public flagship universities were all harder than ever.

Increased value on extracurricular involvement, especially activities that demonstrate initiative, involvement, impact, and influence.

More schools are using Committee Based Evaluation, and the essay is being given even more weight.

Recap of last year's numbers (so far):

The best guess for high school class of 2023 is that colleges and universities will try to secure more of their class through Early Decision.

Colleges will be more need-aware than ever before.

Large increases in GPA for many students because of changes in school grading policies during COVID, making colleges likely continue to place more emphasis on junior year and first quarter or mid-mester grades from the senior year.

Highly selective institutions will continue to be as selective as ever, if not more so as their applications skyrocket.

Standardized testing will continue to be in flux, with many institutions (particularly large publics) returning to requiring testing.
This is pretty similar to what we were told by our counselor and experienced last year. I think each of the last two HS classes have had some real challenges.

As @upstater has pointed out, STEM and business schools cost more, liberal arts is cheaper. So we didn't have my daughter declare an intended major. Applications were up dramatically, both test optional and because I think students had so much uncertainty. When visits were limited, you sometimes had to just apply blind. Fordham let her on campus for 25 minutes to simply walk around with a map. That was it. DePaul and Loyola Chicago were both closed with everyone remote when she visited. She was lucky to run into someone at Loyola outside who showed her around. Fortunately we got a few in before Covid.

We were advised that she should submit the SAT score, because when push comes to shove, schools were likely to favor the known vs the unknown. Don't know if that proved true or not.

Hope it settles down some now. I'd like next year to be more completely normal.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm pretty friendly with BL (our seats have been a couple rows apart for football games for more than a decade) and we kid each other from time to time.

When he leaves an opening for a lawyer joke I normally pounce on it. This time there were a couple of your comments that I responded to. Your reaction initially caused a knee-jerk response (I'll readily admit that I can be a wise ass) but after further thought it hit me that you might have viewed it as an attack.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom