OT: Connecticut College | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut College

Reaction Score
Do they still do the summer project?

I remember students and parents telling me they got paid like $2k to do a summer project with a faculty member. Faculty got a small payment as well for it.

This is one of the best ideas I've ever heard from any school anywhere.
Not that I know of. My older son stayed on campus to do research with a professor one summer but I don't think it was something required like you are describing.

Reaction Score
Not that I know of. My older son stayed on campus to do research with a professor one summer but I don't think it was something required like you are describing.
It was not required. You apply for it with a designed project. The money though is quite nice and you didn't even need to be on campus necessarily, depending on the project.

Reaction Score
I have nothing but good things to say about the NESCACs. I honestly think they get most things right in terms of the college experience. When we dropped our daughter off at Colby 10 years ago, they did this nice trick at around 5 pm. They told the kids they had a meeting with their dorm advisors and the parents that the President wanted to meet them in the Art Museum. After going through the line with the President, you came out and your kid was nowhere to be seen. They were off having dinner with new roommates, dorm mates and such. We were directed to the parking lot! They had breakfast the next morning for parents who couldn’t deal with leaving their kids. The college staff we found out later referred to it as the loser breakfast. We weren’t there, thoug. We were in Camden.

Necsac schools are absolutely fantastic in every way except cost. My wife adjuncts at Wesleyan a couple extra classes because her UConn contract is only 2 classes per semester... and it is even a better experience for faculty.

Great communication, networking and collaboration between faculty instead of the rat race with UConn where everyone is basically just working with the intention of leaving for a higher ranked school. Teachers actually are primarily there to TEACH instead of research.

Networking for students is awesome within the whole of Necsac, great communities. Idk about anywhere else, but Wesleyan is in an awesome area for college-aged kids. If I could get a decent chunk of financial aid I would have loved to go to one. I was also too stupid to get in, to be fair

Reaction Score
It was not required. You apply for it with a designed project. The money though is quite nice and you didn't even need to be on campus necessarily, depending on the project.
I'll ask my son. But never heard of that.

Reaction Score
I have nothing but good things to say about the NESCACs. I honestly think they get most things right in terms of the college experience. When we dropped our daughter off at Colby 10 years ago, they did this nice trick at around 5 pm. They told the kids they had a meeting with their dorm advisors and the parents that the President wanted to meet them in the Art Museum. After going through the line with the President, you came out and your kid was nowhere to be seen. They were off having dinner with new roommates, dorm mates and such. We were directed to the parking lot! They had breakfast the next morning for parents who couldn’t deal with leaving their kids. The college staff we found out later referred to it as the loser breakfast. We weren’t there, thoug. We were in Camden.
Northwestern also separated kids and parents for good during move in day 10 years ago but it was known by all. The President addressed the parents - "you all should be congratulated - 90% of the freshman class was in the top 10% of their HS class. I can assure you 90% of your kids will not be in the top 10% here."

He went on "they will not remember the chemistry lesson they had one morning but they will remember the friends who shared their life's dreams in the wee hours many nights." I happened to know the President's college roommate lived in our town in CT; asked him afterwards when he had last seen his college roommate, he replied, "last week."

Reaction Score
Been to the campus. I like the place a lot. Really good school and right near the Rhode Island beaches.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Move in day for Conn College freshmen is next Wednesday.

Move in starts at 8 am sharp - the rest of the day is very structured. We have meetings with her, without her, she has meetings without us, etc. Not even sure how we’re going to get everything moved in given how packed the schedule is.

But at 5:30, it’s over. She has meetings and social activities that start at 5:30 and run until midnight that night and then continue until Sunday. (The sophs and upperclassmen arrive Monday.)

Parents can hit a reception on the green at 5:30 or they can head home, but the schools is adamant that after 5:30 on Wednesday, parents have to leave their kids alone and get out of Dodge.

I have to imagine that some helicopter around for a while…

Reaction Score

Move in starts at 8 am sharp - the rest of the day is very structured. We have meetings with her, without her, she has meetings without us, etc. Not even sure how we’re going to get everything moved in given how packed the schedule is.

But at 5:30, it’s over. She has meetings and social activities that start at 5:30 and run until midnight that night and then continue until Sunday. (The sophs and upperclassmen arrive Monday.)

Parents can hit a reception on the green at 5:30 or they can head home, but the schools is adamant that after 5:30 on Wednesday, parents have to leave their kids alone and get out of Dodge.

Same with my son going to Gettysburg except they seperate us closer to 1:00

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Same with my son going to Gettysburg except they seperate us closer to 1:00
I remember this moment very well. Almost five years ago for our oldest, but feels like yesterday (although the pictures say otherwise).

Don't blink.

Is it getting dusty in here?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I had a side piece at Conn College when I was in my mid 20s, sigh, Betsy..

(This was not 1957)

I have not met anyone named Betsy since
Stephen Colbert Idk GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
1660746582532.png

Davy Crockett's "Old Betsy"

Last edited:
Reaction Score

My younger son started college in 2020. Because of Covid we were given a 2 hour window to move him in and then hit the road. It was a little strange but since he was the 2nd child, and he was also very familiar with Hamilton because his brother just graduated from there, it was fine.

Of course then we got the calls about how bored he was because of the very strict Covid rules Hamilton had - no activities (no sports, no clubs, nothing!), couldn't go into other dorms, 2 of his 4 classes were online, etc. But within a week he met a bunch of kids in his dorm on other floors who he had a lot in common with and he was off and running. And then he never returned our calls or texts. Funny how that works. He's very excited that the school has relaxed all Covid rules this semester and he's hoping to finally have a completely normal college experience without any restrictions. Be glad your daughter didn't start college in 2020.

Reaction Score
I think once you drop them off the ground work has either been laid for success.......or it hasn't. Being there for them when they need you is important, but you can't expect to hover successfully. My opinion anyway.

We dropped our oldest off for his freshman year at a good engineering school. He was really comfortable there and had a couple of high school buddies there as well. A week out he calls us to let us know all is going great - he joined the rugby team and was pledging a fraternity. I told my wife not to rush to write the check for the following semester. He graduated in four years and had a great time. Not that I ever had any doubts ;)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Right near Capt. Scott’s….my wife and I are ditching the parents’ reception and getting a lobster roll.

I enjoy that folks think you'll be emotional at 5:30, when in reality, you'll be tying the lobster bib on as you get in the car.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I think once you drop them off the ground work has either been laid for success.......or it hasn't. Being there for them when they need you is important, but you can't expect to hover successfully. My opinion anyway.

We dropped our oldest off for his freshman year at a good engineering school. He was really comfortable there and had a couple of high school buddies there as well. A week out he calls us to let us know all is going great - he joined the rugby team and was pledging a fraternity. I told my wife not to rush to write the check for the following semester. He graduated in four years and had a great time. Not that I ever had any doubts ;)

thanks for this. Just dropped my oldest off in Blacksburg for his 1st semester, so this hits close. I agree with your first sentence too - i'll miss him, but he's ready, and I'm more excited for what's next for him, than i am sad.

Reaction Score
Rice had the best drop off. Had to be out of the room by 11:00. Kids go to intro sessions w/ student coordinators and parents meet the adults in charge of the residential colleges then hit the road. No time for emotion.

Reaction Score
thanks for this. Just dropped my oldest off in Blacksburg for his 1st semester, so this hits close. I agree with your first sentence too - i'll miss him, but he's ready, and I'm more excited for what's next for him, than i am sad.
My youngest son looking at VT-Any initial impressions?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Rice had the best drop off. Had to be out of the room by 11:00. Kids go to intro sessions w/ student coordinators and parents meet the adults in charge of the residential colleges then hit the road Gingerman. No time for emotion.
Fify

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My youngest son looking at VT-Any initial impressions?

It's a gorgeous campus - puts most others to shame, IMHO.

I really see it as a 2x UConn, with a STEM bent, and more picturesque.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I enjoy that folks think you'll be emotional at 5:30, when in reality, you'll be tying the lobster bib on as you get in the car.

The three of us went to dinner the other night and my wife says that she wants to book a vacation for the week after we drop the kid off at college because “dad will be upset and I want to take his mind off of it.”

My daughter points to me and asks, “Do you even know him?”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The three of us went to dinner the other night and my wife says that she wants to book a vacation for the week after we drop the kid off at college because “dad will be upset and I want to take his mind off of it.”
Which, in all likelihood, means that your wife is projecting.

Like when my wife says that the music is hurting the dogs' ears, or that my driving is making the kids sick.

For decades I have responded to these comments with "Doggie needs a soda, too, right?"

Or, your wife may just want a vacation.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My daughter points to me and asks, “Do you even know him?”
Which, in all likelihood, means that your wife is projecting.

Like when my wife says that the music is hurting the dogs' ears, or that my driving is making the kids sick.

For decades I have responded to these comments with "Doggie needs a soda, too, right?"

Or, your wife may just want a vacation.
Honestly, we did the same. Not because anyone would be upset, but because we were finally not chained by the K-12 school year. Suddenly we could take a week in late September or October. Another couple we are friends with who's youngest is one year ahead of our daughter had been waiting for our liberation so we could go on trips together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom