OT. Come on America get with it! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT. Come on America get with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They could instantly improve Soccer by modifying the offense killing Offside Rule.
This wouldn't create more offense; the defense would just adjust to wherever the offensive players are.

The offside rule is what creates the open space behind the defensive line that allows for exciting attacks and runs on goal. I would argue that it's as integral to soccer as the offside and illegal formation rules are to US football.

Reaction Score
The problem soccer has always had in the US is that the action is too continuous, there need to be lots of 3 minute stoppages of play. :rolleyes:
Please don't remind me. I still struggle with the differences between NCAA and FIBA rules. Live and Media time outs kill me every game.

How do they expect us to be entertained if we're not treated to a minimum of 8 long commercial breaks?
I thought the minimum was 10, with at least 3 repeats during the break.;)

Reaction Score
I played soccer on our mission team when I was a kid. I loved it! However, watching it is a whole different animal. I think I’d rather watch paint dry!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Then you’d just have defenders living in the box.
No! A 35 yard line, like the old NASL. Those games were exciting. A similar idea to the Blue Line in Hockey.

Reaction Score
I played soccer on our mission team when I was a kid. I loved it! However, watching it is a whole different animal. I think I’d rather watch paint dry!
Then you really didn’t play soccer/football. You played chase the ball and kick it hard. That’s how kids play.

Reaction Score
No! A 35 yard line, like the old NASL. Those games were exciting. A similar idea to the Blue Line in Hockey.
My favorite part of soccer is when they get within 10 yards of the opponents goal, then kick it back out to mid field, then kick it back to your own goalie. After a few more back and forth kicks between goalie and defense the goalie picks up the ball, waits 10 seconds for an opposing player to arrive and then punts it down field and out of bounds.

Reaction Score
Then you really didn’t play soccer/football. You played chase the ball and kick it hard. That’s how kids play.
Thanks for explaining my misguided youth. I wonder, does that logic work for other things as well? I used to love Wendy’s, now I can’t stand their food! Could that mean I really wasn’t eating at Wendy’s at all but rather at McDonalds? I’m gonna have to rethink my whole childhood!

Reaction Score
The problem soccer has always had in the US is that the action is too continuous, there need to be lots of 3 minute stoppages of play. :rolleyes:
You can periodically cut away for a 3 minute commercial at random times and not miss ANY of the action.

Question: is it stupid that the clock counts up and not down? And because the clock doesn't stop, some number of whole minutes (remarkable that it's never fractions of a minute) are added to the game. Seems to me this is easily fixable, but it has never been fixed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
@meyers7 Man U put an arse whoopin on the gunners!
Actually, we played ManU off the pitch.....and still lost. Happens sometimes in football. (VAR doesn't seem to help us much either.) Frustrating, but we are looking pretty good so far this year. We'll see if injuries or youth derail us.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My favorite part of soccer is when they get within 10 yards of the opponents goal, then kick it back out to mid field, then kick it back to your own goalie. After a few more back and forth kicks between goalie and defense the goalie picks up the ball, waits 10 seconds for an opposing player to arrive and then punts it down field and out of bounds.
Why does basketball throw the ball into the post and then back out? Why doesn't just 1 player drive as fast as they can to the basket every play? Why do they pass the ball around the perimeter looking for openings, moving the defense?

Why doesn't football throw a bomb every play? Why do QBs drop back to pass?

Reaction Score
Actually, we played ManU off the pitch.....and still lost. Happens sometimes in football. (VAR doesn't seem to help us much either.) Frustrating, but we are looking pretty good so far this year. We'll see if injuries or youth derail us.
Cruel sport. You can dominate and still take a loss.

Reaction Score
Thanks for explaining my misguided youth. I wonder, does that logic work for other things as well? I used to love Wendy’s, now I can’t stand their food! Could that mean I really wasn’t eating at Wendy’s at all but rather at McDonalds? I’m gonna have to rethink my whole childhood!
Well Cuango not McDonalds but close.

Reaction Score
You can periodically cut away for a 3 minute commercial at random times and not miss ANY of the action.

Question: is it stupid that the clock counts up and not down? And because the clock doesn't stop, some number of whole minutes (remarkable that it's never fractions of a minute) are added to the game. Seems to me this is easily fixable, but it has never been fixed.

After the Heidi Bowl no network will cut away from live action except golf and the networks now split the screen to keep live golf on.

Soccer is played all over the world and in many places an electric scoreboard is an impossible luxury.

Reaction Score

1) How would a countdown make a difference? It's a 90 minute game, plus injury time to account for stoppages during the game. The referee would still have to account for the additional time to make up the difference.

2) Players don't have the same visibility of scoreboards and game clocks like basketball, football, etc.

3) Not every sport counts time by the millisecond. In soccer, I'm not sure if using milliseconds would be of any benefit.

Reaction Score
Like life.
Man I love this game!! Recently met a Britt of financial status. He is a very cool dude. He gave me and my daughter authentic West Ham Jerseys. My bro in law spend a few years in England. Came home with a Brighton FC tattoo on his arm.

Reaction Score
1) How would a countdown make a difference? It's a 90 minute game, plus injury time to account for stoppages during the game. The referee would still have to account for the additional time to make up the difference.

2) Players don't have the same visibility of scoreboards and game clocks like basketball, football, etc.

3) Not every sport counts time by the millisecond. In soccer, I'm not sure if using milliseconds would be of any benefit.
Upon further reflection I think I figured out the reason why whole minutes, i.e. 5 minutes instead of 4:30 are added to the end of the game. If the score is 1 to 0 after 90 minutes, really what difference would accurate time keeping make? Sports that have actual scoring and action (basketball, football, etc.) would not tolerate this "relaxed" management of time keeping. But it's just fine in soccer.

Reaction Score
Upon further reflection I think I figured out the reason why whole minutes, i.e. 5 minutes instead of 4:30 are added to the end of the game. If the score is 1 to 0 after 90 minutes, really what difference would accurate time keeping make? Sports that have actual scoring and action (basketball, football, etc.) would not tolerate this "relaxed" management of time keeping. But it's just fine in soccer.
The fact they add time is accurate time tracking. They've accounted for the time lost during the game during pauses, (cards being handed out, injuries, etc.). That additional time can make a difference for the team trying to get back in the match. I couldn't count how many matches I've seen where it drastically changes because of the time added back into the game.

And to contrast it to basketball and football, it keeps the game flowing versus all the "stop and go". Soccer purists look at North American sports with disdain because of it. My UK relatives have made comments along the lines of, "It's too herky jerky. How do people pay attention? Why are there so many breaks?" It's a matter of perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom